Religion

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
GranadaJoe

Re: Religion

Post by GranadaJoe »

Having just watched a real life (St. Arsene does tactics) miracle I'm starting to believe.

REB

Post by REB »

I'm with you Joe, church of the arsenal is the one true faith :barscarf:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I think an exorcism is needed :shock: :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I was beginning to think that the new Pope wasn't quite as much of an arsehole as his predecessors when he today criticised the Phillipine govt for their attempts to control the birth rate, while addressing a crowd of 6 MIILION in one place!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chippy, I can see the point you were trying to make but you got it hugely wrong, mate. You simply cannot compare what the IRA vermin did in the 1970's to what Muslim extremist vermin are doing now.

As much as I abhor the IRA, they had a clear set of goals they tried to achieve by their terror campaign. They wanted a united Ireland with the British out of the north. They didn't want to change Britain/England or the culture of Britain/England. The IRA leadership knew as early as 1975 that they were fighting a war they could not win in the classic sense. Some historians are now postulating that the IRA leadership had settled on the concept of a power sharing agreement in NI (with NI remaining part of the UK) even in the early 1980's. Their campaign was designed to get British public opinion to force the British government to the negotiating table. And tbh, many would say that campaign worked to some extent.

These Islamic extremists don't want anything from us, they are not trying to force us to the negotiating table. But they are trying to change western (and by association British/French) culture. Because their terror is based on a "non-physical, moralistic concept" like religion, rather than a physical goal like "freedom or independence or unity" it is all the more horrific to the general public. The individual Islamic terrorist wants to be martyred whilst killing Westerners/Jews/Christians/Infidels etc. That is all he wants. You simply cannot negotiate with that.

We do need to exterminate these extremists, because there is no negotiating with them. But we must also be extremely careful not to tar all Muslims with the same brush. Just as most British people were thankfully intelligent enough not to tar all Irish people with the same brush as the IRA back in the 1970's/80's.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
We do need to exterminate these extremists, because there is no negotiating with them. But we must also be extremely careful not to tar all Muslims with the same brush. Just as most British people were thankfully intelligent enough not to tar all Irish people with the same brush as the IRA back in the 1970's/80's.
I'm not saying anything.

:oops: :D :barscarf:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

DB I'm sorry to say you missed the point of my post. I was not equating the IRA with current Islamist terrorists. I was trying to highlight how extreme Augie's post was. Basically he was pretty much saying all muslims are fair game. If the British had taken that view of the Irish in the 70s (and some wanted to) then I think we would all be in a much worse situation today. Me especially.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Chippy wrote:DB I'm sorry to say you missed the point of my post. I was not equating the IRA with current Islamist terrorists. I was trying to highlight how extreme Augie's post was. Basically he was pretty much saying all muslims are fair game. If the British had taken that view of the Irish in the 70s (and some wanted to) then I think we would all be in a much worse situation today. Me especially.
Oh I got your point, but my point is that the two conflicts/issues (and public/government perception of them) are so vastly different that the comparison isn't valid. In augie's last post he lists the reasons why most intelligent British people didn't turn on the Irish en-masse. Also, I don't think augie's first post was that extreme tbh. I think he clearly said if a Muslim is non-violent and respectful of local culture/society then they shouldn't be judged in the same fashion as the jihadist/terrorist.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I'm not saying anything.

:oops: :D :barscarf:
Careful now, tiger... :box:

:wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Chippy wrote:DB I'm sorry to say you missed the point of my post. I was not equating the IRA with current Islamist terrorists. I was trying to highlight how extreme Augie's post was. Basically he was pretty much saying all muslims are fair game. If the British had taken that view of the Irish in the 70s (and some wanted to) then I think we would all be in a much worse situation today. Me especially.
Oh I got your point, but my point is that the two conflicts/issues (and public/government perception of them) are so vastly different that the comparison isn't valid. In augie's last post he lists the reasons why most intelligent British people didn't turn on the Irish en-masse. Also, I don't think augie's first post was that extreme tbh. I think he clearly said if a Muslim is non-violent and respectful of local culture/society then they shouldn't be judged in the same fashion as the jihadist/terrorist.

tbf, he also advocated bombing innocent Muslims

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

tbf, he also advocated bombing innocent Muslims
Yes he did!

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

One of the Ten Commandments is Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in Vain.. I as a child assumed that meant not using Jesus or God in a swearing context, but was recently informed by someone who is more in tune with it than I that it means that The Lord or God's name cannot be used in the context of violence , in other words do not kill or maim in the name of God.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I suggest not listening to anybody who says they are 'in tune' with what god means!

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Bradywasking wrote:One of the Ten Commandments is Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in Vain.. I as a child assumed that meant not using Jesus or God in a swearing context, but was recently informed by someone who is more in tune with it than I that it means that The Lord or God's name cannot be used in the context of violence , in other words do not kill or maim in the name of God.
Unless the bloke is an expert in ancient hebrew and knows what was going through the head of a man writing something down about 1000 years after it allegedly happened then I would suggest he hasn't got a scooby. :twisted:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Chippy wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:One of the Ten Commandments is Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in Vain.. I as a child assumed that meant not using Jesus or God in a swearing context, but was recently informed by someone who is more in tune with it than I that it means that The Lord or God's name cannot be used in the context of violence , in other words do not kill or maim in the name of God.
Unless the bloke is an expert in ancient hebrew and knows what was going through the head of a man writing something down about 1000 years after it allegedly happened then I would suggest he hasn't got a scooby. :twisted:
Never suggested he was an expert, just more in tune than me.