Rugby World Cup 2015

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
northbank123

Re: Rugby World Cup 2015

Post by northbank123 »

For me the All Blacks are the most impressive team in world sport. They are just monstrous. That said that is a dull SA team devoid of any creativity and NZ should be beating them comfortably.

I've got a slight issue with the Haka - it is amazing but fundamentally a chance for NZ to et and intimate opponents. If anybody does anything different they cry disrespect. NZ want to ref every game. When Wales (in a historic game to mark an anniversary) proposed to have the national anthem after the Haka then NZ refused to do that and petulantly did the Haka in their changing rooms.

Hope aus beat them in the final.

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

northbank123 wrote:For me the All Blacks are the most impressive team in world sport. They are just monstrous. That said that is a dull SA team devoid of any creativity and NZ should be beating them comfortably.

I've got a slight issue with the Haka - it is amazing but fundamentally a chance for NZ to et and intimate opponents. If anybody does anything different they cry disrespect. NZ want to ref every game. When Wales (in a historic game to mark an anniversary) proposed to have the national anthem after the Haka then NZ refused to do that and petulantly did the Haka in their changing rooms.

I agree with you about the Haka, other teams just have to stand and freeze as they deliver an aggressive chant. I lived in NZ for a while and some Kiwis didn't like it as it had s me nasty meanings. I don't know if they changed the words in recent times. Australia looked impressive against Wales and England and with two of their key players back from injury, they could be a force to be reckoned with. That said, I don't want any teams left in it to win it.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Should be a good game today - Argentina will always chuck the ball about and their Rugby Championship games brought an average of 6 tries and 54 points each so fingers crossed it will be more entertaining than some of the turgid Northern Hemisphere (sorry Step) affairs.

That said Australia battered Argentina in the Rugby Championship and I think last week's scare will have done them the world of good.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Wayne Barnes has been fucking appalling again. He just doesn't let games flow at all - I know there has been some enterprising rugby this game but considering Argentina literally have not kicked from hand unless they absolutely needed to there could have been far more. As always with him the breakdown is a complete mess and for my money he has let Australia get away with murder slowing the ball down illegally.

Barnes bottled giving Argentina a clear penalty at the scrum at the end of the first half which had long collapsed into a heap of bodies, and refused to go upstairs for the final try for no sensible reason. It went 3 yards forward and Ashley-Cooper knew it - he didn't celebrate at all. He is the Mike Dean of rugby - arrogant prick who invariably steals the limelight. Every fucking time he referees there's controversy, why fucking give it to him?

Interesting to see if Richie McCaw will be cited. I can't see World Rugby having the bottle, NZ never need an excuse to bitch and cry. Rugby has a huge problem with bias. Pocock got away with the most blatant cowardly gut punch against Wales when Alessano Tuilagi got a five week ban for the same thing. Tom Wood kicked Liam Williams full force in the head about three metres away from where the ball was two seconds previously - apparently that isn't dangerous play but being slightly slow to wrap your arms around somebody calves in a tackle like the Argentinian lock today who was binned is. Genia today stopped a quick penalty even though he was only five metres away. He knew he wasn't back 10 and he knew he was cheating - yet he was allowed to negate any advantage from the quick penalty without repercussion. Had to be sin-binned - if he wasn't a big Southern Hemisphere name.

And whilst the likes of Pocock and McCaw are immense at the breakdown, they get away with murder. Today Australia killed the ball time and time again and Barnes let them do it because he wasn't telling them what they could and couldn't compete for. People assume that as its Pocock its obviously his ability but more often than not he's just breaking the rules.

Rugby has these ridiculous notions of what is and isn't acceptable. Sean O Brien clocking somebody when they're not looking is a minor offence - one week ban. Cynical cheating during the game (like killing the ball illegally when the opposition has a penalty advantage or stopping quick set pieces) is rarely carded - unless it's for something like tripping which bizarrely is a far more heinous offence than thuggish violence.

Step

Post by Step »

Well welll well the Southern Hemisphere are certainly turning the screw now.
Current score
NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 1172 pts SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE 1245 pts.

Rumour has it that the Northern Hemisphere are looking to strengthen their hand at the next World (6 Nations) Cup by including a team from The Channel Islands.

Roll on the Bronze Play off.

All hail the Southern Hemisphere.

Great to hear the WESTERN HEMISPHERE getting a mention on the news this morning albeit in relation to the Typhoon in Mexico!!

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Richie McCaw is a saint amongst men. I am reading his book at the moment, gives you a bit of insight into their mindset, they have the feeling that they can win every game, whilst others come there and hope to win or not lose too badly. Actually used some of the techniques in a assessment centre. Didnt do the haka or come in from an offside position but it was close :lol:

Going back to the Haka - That gives them a 10 point start on every team they play that and the black shirt. They stand there doing the Haka offering the challenge and everyone sits back and waits with a feeling that these supermen are going to trample us. Clever mind games.

Wales did this in 08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wEloTNrOc fell short but 1st half we were up there with them.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

A few teams have advanced on them before and they bitch and moan about it being disrespectful. Not to mention they just stand there and refuse to leave - because obviously it is all about intimidation and getting a mental advantage before kick-off rather than some cultural reason. It's just an excuse to hurl insults and behave in an insanely aggressive and threatening manner, and the opposition have to stand there (sometimes in the pissing rain) and watch it stony-faced.

Brian O'Driscoll found himself nearly snapped in two about twenty seconds after some perceived nonchalant picking of a blade of grass on his behalf in response. My favourite was Campese who just carried on chucking the ball around underneath the posts.

I hope Australia beat NZ on Saturday. Sadly I don't think they will and what's more I think it will be a boring cagey affair like the 2011 final. Fingers crossed I'm wrong on both counts.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

storrmin571 wrote:Richie McCaw is a saint amongst men. I am reading his book at the moment, gives you a bit of insight into their mindset, they have the feeling that they can win every game, whilst others come there and hope to win or not lose too badly. Actually used some of the techniques in a assessment centre. Didnt do the haka or come in from an offside position but it was close :lol:
Which book, may I ask?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:For me the All Blacks are the most impressive team in world sport. They are just monstrous. That said that is a dull SA team devoid of any creativity and NZ should be beating them comfortably.

Holy fucking Buddha. :coffeespit: :roll: :lol:

You would have to be an absolute pussy to be intimidated (or "intimated"! :shock: :wink: ) by a bunch of closet homosexuals chanting at you whilst they are doing a little dance. :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

I'd be far more intimidated the first time one of them rammed their finger up my arse in a scrum. :shock: :lol: :roll:

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

skizz_b wrote:
storrmin571 wrote:Richie McCaw is a saint amongst men. I am reading his book at the moment, gives you a bit of insight into their mindset, they have the feeling that they can win every game, whilst others come there and hope to win or not lose too badly. Actually used some of the techniques in a assessment centre. Didnt do the haka or come in from an offside position but it was close :lol:
Which book, may I ask?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Real-McCaw- ... 1781310459

Richie McCaw my autobiography - imaginative title

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Holy fucking Buddha. :coffeespit: :roll: :lol:

You would have to be an absolute pussy to be intimidated (or "intimated"! :shock: :wink: ) by a bunch of closet homosexuals chanting at you whilst they are doing a little dance. :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

I'd be far more intimidated the first time one of them rammed their finger up my arse in a scrum. :shock: :lol: :roll:
The true cock munchers are backs

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I'd be far more aroused the first time one of them rammed their finger up my arse in a scrum. :shock: :lol: :roll:
careful there db10 :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'd be far more aroused the first time one of them rammed their finger up my arse in a scrum. :shock: :lol: :roll:
careful there db10 :shock:
:lol: :lol:

Don't judge me!!! :x

:wink:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Glad the Welsh ref has been given the final, he's been the best.

Step

Post by Step »

I think if the Aus are to beat the bearded fat boys they are going 'to have to go posts'.

Nice to see the clueless classy bird on Sky this morning talking to some old tosser about the game and she finished by saying ' of course if the All Blacks Captain leads his side to victory today he will become ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... the first captain to ever win back to back 'world cups'. Proving that she knows even less than I do about this poxy game as she had to wait for the autocue before saying what we all knew anyway.

For the record the current (following the Bronze Final) score is Northern Hemisphere 1172 Southern Hemisphere 1282 pts.

A stroll in the park for the Southern Hemisphere as usual. Final score to follow and then all you southern hemispherrs can have a jolly good knees up.(dirty rugby ditties and Bitter of course).