Now it's the Oscars!

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: Now it's the Oscars!

Post by officepest »

Jada Pinkett-Smith can’t act; ditto her husband. Spike Lee hasn’t been relevant since 1989 but as soon as there’s an opportunity to stick his fucking oar in – bingo – there he is.

Who gives a fuck anyway? Well done, you acted, here’s an award. Ego overload or what? If you warrant a nomination for some professional pretending then you’ll probably get one. I would argue that if no black actors have been nominated it’s because there haven’t been many noteworthy performances this year.

Black Lives Matter; the Oscars don’t.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

officepest wrote:Jada Pinkett-Smith can’t act; ditto her husband. Spike Lee hasn’t been relevant since 1989 but as soon as there’s an opportunity to stick his fucking oar in – bingo – there he is.

Who gives a fuck anyway? Well done, you acted, here’s an award. Ego overload or what? If you warrant a nomination for some professional pretending then you’ll probably get one. I would argue that if no black actors have been nominated it’s because there haven’t been many noteworthy performances this year.

Too fucking right. It's a bunch of people who want to raise their profile and can't actually accept that they might not be as good as they think they are. Will Smith is a talentless jug-eared *word censored* who seems to forget that he's made a fortune out of playing a ridiculous borderline racist stereotype in almost every bit of acting that he's ever done. Spike Lee is an old *word censored* who makes the same fucking film every time. He's the American version of that prick Richard fucking Curtis. Fuck off, stop moaning and explain why no Indian or Chinese or South American actors ever get nominated.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looking at all the fuss made, it now seems to me, to be a bit of publicity to raise the profile and attention to the Oscar ceremony itself. Audience has been dwindling and less and less sponsorship has been coming in. Hollywood is on a major downturn and needs something to keep interest in the prestigious ceremony. What better than a racism row to get people talking about it. No such thing as bad publicity.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:Chris Rock is scheduled to present the whole thing and is being put under pressure by certain members of the black acting community to not do it. That's a bit unfair on him. It started because Will Smith's wife was going to boycott it because he wasn't nominated. Problem is now are they going to bring in the Rooney Rule into acting awards? That would be a bigger insult to the black actors in the Hollywood community than none being nominated at all.
I don't recall Harrison Ford winning an Oscar for any of his roles and he's been the leading male actor in 6 of the biggest grossing films of all time. Sly Stallone has given us two of Hollywood's most memorable characters, not won an Oscar either. Lead actors in big blockbuster action movies never win or get nominated for awards, which I think is just a big a travesty as the whole genre that keeps Hollywood going largely gets ignored by the academy.
That's because lead actors in most of those blockbusters are poor quality actors chosen for either their looks, physique or marketability. You cannot nominate or award shit acting with an acting award just because the movie had great special effects or brilliant set pieces and was very successful. It'd be like awarding the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber with a serious music award because they've sold alot of records to 10 year old girls.

Also, I think you'll find that the people that make those blockbuster movies (directors, FFX guys, cinematographers and choreographers) do get nominated and sometimes awarded.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:Jada Pinkett-Smith can’t act; ditto her husband. Spike Lee hasn’t been relevant since 1989 but as soon as there’s an opportunity to stick his fucking oar in – bingo – there he is.

Will Smith boycotting the Oscars is the equivalent of Robbie "The Peacock" Savage boycotting the Ballon d'Or. :lol: :roll:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Will Smith boycotting the Oscars is the equivalent of Robbie "The Peacock" Savage boycotting the Ballon d'Or. :lol: :roll:
In another shock announcement, Katie Price has annpunced she will boycott the Booker Prize ceremony. :shock:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Chris Rock is scheduled to present the whole thing and is being put under pressure by certain members of the black acting community to not do it. That's a bit unfair on him. It started because Will Smith's wife was going to boycott it because he wasn't nominated. Problem is now are they going to bring in the Rooney Rule into acting awards? That would be a bigger insult to the black actors in the Hollywood community than none being nominated at all.
I don't recall Harrison Ford winning an Oscar for any of his roles and he's been the leading male actor in 6 of the biggest grossing films of all time. Sly Stallone has given us two of Hollywood's most memorable characters, not won an Oscar either. Lead actors in big blockbuster action movies never win or get nominated for awards, which I think is just a big a travesty as the whole genre that keeps Hollywood going largely gets ignored by the academy.
That's because lead actors in most of those blockbusters are poor quality actors chosen for either their looks, physique or marketability. You cannot nominate or award shit acting with an acting award just because the movie had great special effects or brilliant set pieces and was very successful. It'd be like awarding the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber with a serious music award because they've sold alot of records to 10 year old girls.

Also, I think you'll find that the people that make those blockbuster movies (directors, FFX guys, cinematographers and choreographers) do get nominated and sometimes awarded.
That was largely true up until the turn of the century, the more recent visual effects awards have gone to films like avatar, and life of pi, although I think Spiderman 2 was the last blockbuster to win visual effects. I lost interest in the Oscars a few years back. Id say the BAFTA's recognise the quality of acting more than Hollywood politics.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looking at the group picture of all 150 Oscar nominees, reminds me of the original North Bank mural...

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

I agree with rugby gooner on this. I thought black people have always said they want to be seen as the same as white people and don't want skin colour to be a factor, we're all equal etc. Fair enough, except they only stick to this when it suits them. As soon as they see no black nominees they start kicking up a fuss, and it's them that keep making skin colour a factor.
It's really getting old now :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

In another shock announcement, Katie Price has annpunced she will boycott the Booker Prize ceremony. :shock:

I'm surprised she knows what a book is! :roll: :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean »

CloakedGooner wrote:I agree with rugby gooner on this. I thought black people have always said they want to be seen as the same as white people and don't want skin colour to be a factor, we're all equal etc. Fair enough, except they only stick to this when it suits them. As soon as they see no black nominees they start kicking up a fuss, and it's them that keep making skin colour a factor.
It's really getting old now :banghead:
Same thing with this 'Rooney Rule' bollocks they want to bring in to British football :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Probably a gangbang on somewhere. :lol: :wink:

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

As a man of colour, I see the need to keep highlighting the equality of minorities - if it isn't promoted, then advantage will ensue.

But, Maurice Micklewhite got it right when he said "It took me years to get an Oscar"... "I'm too old to travel that far and clap somebody else"..."You can't vote for an actor just because they are black".

A few years ago there was plenty of black actors winning stuff - what is more interesting is the representation of who controls the money, studio heads, producers, directors, agents and casting directors.

Once these proportionally represented in the mainstream industry, then we may see a more constant representation in front of the camera and awards.

Having said that, as an Old Skool man, I dreaded "Straight outta Compton" - thinking it would be just a 90mins commercial - but it was tuff!!!

Ice's son may get the plaudits - but for me, the man Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E (We're two hard mutha-fuckers!) - was a worthy contender....magnificent performance!

We need a low rider smilie!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

What I want to know is why aren't there any English actor's in Bollywood ??

We need answers.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:What I want to know is why aren't there any English actor's in Bollywood ??

We need answers.....
Racism. :(

:wink: