The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Allgunsblazin

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Allgunsblazin »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:54 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 pm
"if public opinion turns decisively against Brexit

However what if it hasn't and doesn't ?
then the country is fucked :barscarf:
No its not.....
Honestly this thread resembles a "Keep Wenger In" with apologists seeming to think that the world will end without being in Europe!...
Come on guys "Grow a pair".... :lol: :wink:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:07 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Rob i'll give you your due you are single minded in argument, blinkered but single minded :wink:
Ha, nothing like the pot calling the kettle black. Muzz, I would add delusion to some of the crap the brexiteers come out with. It's not even thought out, just like say something that sounds good and hope people believe you. The stuff about our currency a few weeks ago was truly comical, a bit like bungling Boris ever becoming our next PM. If you ever watch Sky News you will see clearly the brains in the family fall with his sister.
Well done Nutty you totally failed to miss the point, that's the problem with bigots, can't ever see they have become what they accuse others of.

Every single argument you and Rob put forward is based on economical analysis from pro-remain organisations, thats no different from the arguments put forward from the pro-brexit camp. Yet your arguments must be true and everyone who denies them is a simpleton, the number of times others on here have put forward arguments or articles in opposition to your own that you have totally ignored or belittled is startling. Yet i don't think one Brexit voter on here has argued that econmically times will probably be difficult post Brexit.

On the other hand you have both time and time again ducked out of any discussion of the ills of the EU which are non-economic. I seem to remember a few weeks ago you both tried to imply that the EU is not seeking more and more power being centralised to Brussels, this was only a week or so after Junckers State of the Union speech which had covered exactly that, implementation of an EU Army, Election of a full EU President, introduction of an EU finance minister and possible introduction of European Social Security Cards allowing the EU to directly monitor wages across the block and payments being made for tax and national insurance within member states.

So yes you are both blinkered and are flogging a one trick pony to death. You are also both as bigoted as the ultra-nationalist who want Brexit at any cost and this is shown by your constant derision of Brexit voters being 'thick' and 'having no understanding of what they voted for'.

Each person voted for reasons that were based on their view of the EU as a whole, there is no right or wrong in this no matter how much the bigots on both sides want to pretend there is.

Just for the record i know of 3 people who voted remain at my work who have become disillusioned in the last year and would now vote leave if the referendum was run again so it works both ways on both sides, some who voted leave have changed their minds and some who voted remain have also done so.
That's a new one calling remainers bigots, I thought it was the other way round.......

With regards to the issues surrounding Brexit, economics is by far the most important issue that affects all of our futures. Yet both you and other brexiteers cannot link things like immigration or EU laws with anything but your own narrow minded take on life in this country. The fact that both of these issues are intrinsicly linked to the future wellbeing of our economy doesn't matter to people like you. I have never ever said that the EU represents utopia but do you honestly think self harming our country by taking the worst option is the way to go?

Let's talk about immigration again for the 15th time, every country that is outside the EU that a discussion about our future trade relationship has already intimated that they want a relaxation on immigration rules for their citizens. So how do you feel about your little england town being taken over by Indians and Chinese rather than Poles?

Can you also name an EU law that causes so much harm to you personally, so we can find out what it is about the EU that you really don't like.

When you have the audacity to call me blinkered, you would do well to go back to go and see some of the comments I have made about non economic aspects to Brexit, but as I said before you only like debating things that can't expose your lack of knowledge on the subject. Perhaps economics isn't your strong point, regardless you cannot deny the link as I have already said with immigration and law.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Taking back control Brexit style :barscarf:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
Since when did the Bank of England get it's guesswork right? :roll:
Prior to this they were guessing 10,000 job losses over a three year period. And before that they were guessing an immediate and severe recession following the Brexit vote. Load of old shit. There may well be job losses in the thousands. Tough. There will still be about a million jobs in the finance industry. London will remain the financial capital of the world. There may even be an overall increase in jobs due to a rise in non EU business. Nobody actually knows.

Earlier in this thread there was another laughable bit of guesswork in the shape of a Guardian editorial. How very surprising. Here is a meaningless opinion poll to offset the other meaningless opinion polls :) .....

http://www.westmonster.com/just-12-want ... on-brexit/

I firmly believe the UK will be far better off outside the EU. We may even be saving Europe from itself. Again.

Finally, Rob, your "stupid :censored: " remark. I don't care if it was aimed at me personally or (as you say) aimed at Brexiteers in general. :rubchin: The inference is that you are more intelligent than people who disagree with your opinion. Which, in my book, is a piss poor attitude.

It would be a boring old world if we all agreed with each other about everything. :blah: :box: :cussing: :?: :evil: :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

olgitgooner wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Prior to this they were guessing 10,000 job losses over a three year period. And before that they were guessing an immediate and severe recession following the Brexit vote. Load of old shit. There may well be job losses in the thousands. Tough. There will still be about a million jobs in the finance industry. London will remain the financial capital of the world. There may even be an overall increase in jobs due to a rise in non EU business. Nobody actually knows.

Earlier in this thread there was another laughable bit of guesswork in the shape of a Guardian editorial. How very surprising. Here is a meaningless opinion poll to offset the other meaningless opinion polls :) .....

I firmly believe the UK will be far better off outside the EU. We may even be saving Europe from itself. Again.

Finally, Rob, your "stupid :censored: " remark. I don't care if it was aimed at me personally or (as you say) aimed at Brexiteers in general. :rubchin: The inference is that you are more intelligent than people who disagree with your opinion. Which, in my book, is a piss poor attitude.

It would be a boring old world if we all agreed with each other about everything. :blah: :box: :cussing: :?: :evil: :D
you are probably right it is a piss poor attitude but the trouble how else is the truth going to enter your thick heads.
yet again you come up with the "Nobody actually knows" bollocks.

the fact is that there are plenty of experts who actually do know and are being proved right, despite constant denials from Brexiters.
and meanwhile what has happened to your great leader, St Nigel ? Is he in hiding ?

oh and what happened to the eurozone? wasn't it expected to have collapsed by now?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 28891.html

wake up and stop embarrassing yourself. you are fighting a losing battle.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I've maintained throughout this whole Brexit process that the average man in the street isn't intelligent enough to vote on such a matter.

Most that voted to leave did so on the back of a load of old nonsense about immigration and the Daily Mail's take on the Eurozone. Those are just 2 of more than a thousand different factors that need to be considered. Is there a single Brexiteer out there that can honestly say they considered the effect on the common fisheries policy, or the agriculture policy?........ Don't lie now, you know you have no idea how they are affected.

So what will the outcome be for those wise old sages that thought Johnny Foreigner was going to get it shoved up 'em by the good old Brits?

Well, you'll still have all the same rules on freedom of movement because the government is too frightened not to agree to it.
You'll still have European laws that you hate so much as they'll all be enshrined in British Law.
But there is one clear difference................ currently we get a say in all that, we're not going to after April 2019. The rest of Europe will be deciding it all for us behind closed doors.

Thanks for that!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm
I've maintained throughout this whole Brexit process that the average man in the street isn't intelligent enough to vote on such a matter.

Most that voted to leave did so on the back of a load of old nonsense about immigration and the Daily Mail's take on the Eurozone. Those are just 2 of more than a thousand different factors that need to be considered. Is there a single Brexiteer out there that can honestly say they considered the effect on the common fisheries policy, or the agriculture policy?........ Don't lie now, you know you have no idea how they are affected.

So what will the outcome be for those wise old sages that thought Johnny Foreigner was going to get it shoved up 'em by the good old Brits?

Well, you'll still have all the same rules on freedom of movement because the government is too frightened not to agree to it.
You'll still have European laws that you hate so much as they'll all be enshrined in British Law.
But there is one clear difference................ currently we get a say in all that, we're not going to after April 2019. The rest of Europe will be deciding it all for us behind closed doors.

Thanks for that!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :roll:
Spuddy why did you have get involved? :shock: :banghead:

:lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

what happened to the eurozone? wasn't it expected to have collapsed by now?

Altogether there are five European nations whose debts are larger than their economic output, and 21 that have debts larger than the 60 per cent-of-GDP limit set out in the Maastricht Treaty.

Greece’s public debt is, unsurprisingly, the highest in the EU - standing at 177 per cent of its GDP. Italy and Portugal are the next most indebted countries, with debts of 132 per cent and 129 per cent of national economic output respectively.

The smallest debts, as a proportion of GDP, were seen in Estonia, Luxembourg and Bulgaria in 2015. All of these governments have debts below 30 per cent of their GDP.

The United Kingdom’s debt currently accounts for 89.1 per cent of its GDP, eighth highest in the EU. and Corbyn wants to borrow more to sustain his popular appeal bribes.

Logically it can't go on, It is a matter of time before debt catches up, the comment that" when your stuck in a hole stop digging" is as true today as it was in 1964 when attributed to the Bankers Magazine .
The E.U can shuffle the debt , they are said to be trying to get an all encompassing economy run not from individual central banks but by Brussels itself purely to delay the inevitable .
The steady influx of low earning labour from the pincer movement of people on one side from Turkey and Africa and the Caucuses on the other can only sustain big business for so long .
I know it's never popular to warn people about living beyond their means especially in these days of instant credit but !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Long time ago around referendum time , I voiced concerns about both the CAP and the fisheries policy but then again being from the countryside and coast as my title suggests, it has been of interest to both myself and the area that I live in which voted 60/40 to leave.
Primarily these reasons were uppermost in the vote as although we suffer from unemployment and low wages apart from areas like Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well.

The policies that you highlighted were the driving force behind that vote. As I argued with both Rob and Nutflush there is a lot more to this country than the London bubble and as much as we appreciate things might get a little harder for those in the capital in the short term , we however see our local economies improving as the farm land can be used to grow crops that we want to grow as opposed to the ones that Brussels allows and of course the unbelievable marine wastage of the fisheries policy will allow fish stocks to be managed properly intead of being hoovered up by factory ships which then throw the catch which exceeds the quota back into the sea to rot.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 pm
olgitgooner wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

you are probably right it is a piss poor attitude but the trouble how else is the truth going to enter your thick heads.
yet again you come up with the "Nobody actually knows" bollocks.

the fact is that there are plenty of experts who actually do know and are being proved right, despite constant denials from Brexiters.
and meanwhile what has happened to your great leader, St Nigel ? Is he in hiding ?

oh and what happened to the eurozone? wasn't it expected to have collapsed by now?

wake up and stop embarrassing yourself. you are fighting a losing battle.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :lol:

Leaving aside the continued rudeness toward us folk who have "thick heads", der...
I challenge you to give me one single example of one of your "experts who actually do know and are being proved right". Also, while your at it, let me know where I can buy shares in their time machines.

I'd also like to know exactly who said the Eurozone was "expected to collapse by now"?

Names and facts please Rob. If you can't back up what you are saying then you will never win your sorry arsed arguments.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

More bullshit from the laughably named Independent.....

Headline says that UK economy is pants.

Reality...... they have taken the last quarter figures. The previous quarter was three point five times better and far outstripped other countries. This has been purposely ignored.

Reality....they have compared this figure against an AVERAGE of the other EU countries. This includes the main player Germany.

Reality.....the economies of the old eastern bloc countries are small in comparison to Western European countries. If Hungary has a good economic quarter it has very little bearing on the overall picture. A 0.4 increase of bugger all is....bugger all.

Reality....all figures/statistics/projections/opinions can be manipulated to "prove" anything.

Gullible people are totally taken in by this kind of "journalism ". What a crock of shit.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Excellent posts from A11M11.
Sensible, factual and free of bullshit.
Well done that man :)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm
Long time ago around referendum time , I voiced concerns about both the CAP and the fisheries policy but then again being from the countryside and coast as my title suggests, it has been of interest to both myself and the area that I live in which voted 60/40 to leave.
Primarily these reasons were uppermost in the vote as although we suffer from unemployment and low wages apart from areas like Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well.

The policies that you highlighted were the driving force behind that vote. As I argued with both Rob and Nutflush there is a lot more to this country than the London bubble and as much as we appreciate things might get a little harder for those in the capital in the short term , we however see our local economies improving as the farm land can be used to grow crops that we want to grow as opposed to the ones that Brussels allows and of course the unbelievable marine wastage of the fisheries policy will allow fish stocks to be managed properly intead of being hoovered up by factory ships which then throw the catch which exceeds the quota back into the sea to rot.

And that's the reason why the vote shouldn't have been given to the people. Rather than taking a holistic view of whether it was better for the whole country, you have isolated two industries that form less than 1% each respectively of the UK economy. Then in the next paragraph, you go on about the London bubble, so your vote was as much a dig at London as the EU really. You don't care that London as a micro-economy produces far more revenue in taxes than it takes out of the governments' coffers. That surplus money being spent across the country on public services. Hell, why do you even support a London football team if you have that attitude, every time you come into Islington you are surrounded by millions of remainers. Sounds like a fate worse than death based on what some people have said in this thread. :D :D

With regards to fishing, and I admit I had to do some research about this, it's not even clear cut that Brexit will have a positive effect on our fishing industry. Yes we will get our waters back, but according to this ft article we (the English fisherman) obtain a significant volume of our catch in Norwegian, French and Irish waters. That is to satisfy demand in the UK. I can just see all these countries offering us tariff-free access to their waters post brexit, not.

https://www.ft.com/content/84f51c84-5fe ... 2f7ee26895

Then you come out with a quote "we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well". Come on spit it out, tell me what you mean by "problems". All I can see here is a tad of veiled xenophobia.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:22 am
A11M11 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm

And that's the reason why the vote shouldn't have been given to the people. Rather than taking a holistic view of whether it was better for the whole country, you have isolated two industries that form less than 1% each respectively of the UK economy. Then in the next paragraph, you go on about the London bubble, so your vote was as much a dig at London as the EU really. You don't care that London as a micro-economy produces far more revenue in taxes than it takes out of the governments' coffers. That surplus money being spent across the country on public services. Hell, why do you even support a London football team if you have that attitude, every time you come into Islington you are surrounded by millions of remainers. Sounds like a fate worse than death based on what some people have said in this thread. :D :D

With regards to fishing, and I admit I had to do some research about this, it's not even clear cut that Brexit will have a positive effect on our fishing industry. Yes we will get out waters back, but according to this ft article we (the English fisherman) obtain a significant volume of our catch in Norwegian, French and Irish waters. That is to satisfy demand in the UK. I can just see all these countries offering us tariff-free access to their waters post brexit, not.

https://www.ft.com/content/84f51c84-5fe ... 2f7ee26895

Then you come out with a quote "we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well". Come on spit it out, tell me what you mean by "problems". All I can see here is a tad of veiled xenophobia.
Thats not true