Drummers Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
elpelsarmy

Drummers Thread

Post by elpelsarmy »

Just redressing the balance for us proper musicians :D :D
I`ve had a kit since I was a kid, played in numerous pub bands over the years and currently have a Pearl Export kit with a Ludwig snare and Zildjian Hi-hat crash and ride cymbals, favourite drummer has to be Stewart Copeland, absolute legend!!

OneBardGooner

Re: Drummers Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:24 pm
I`ve had a kit since I was a kid, played in numerous pub bands over the years and currently have a Pearl Export kit with a Ludwig snare and Zildjian Hi-hat crash and ride cymbals, favourite drummer has to be Stewart Copeland, absolute legend!!
So, let me get this right. Not only are you a drummer (boo hiss boo boo!) but you are a pop drummer?

:shock: :oops:

Only fucking with ya buddy. A band is nothing without the backline. :lol: :wink:

As a (mostly) metal guitarist and fan, I have to admit though I loved the Police. And whilst I hate regular reggae I also love Ska. :shock: 8)

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 am
elpelsarmy wrote:
So, let me get this right. Not only are you a drummer (boo hiss boo boo!) but you are a pop drummer?

Only fucking with ya buddy. A band is nothing without the backline. :lol: :wink:

As a (mostly) metal guitarist and fan, I have to admit though I loved the Police. And whilst I hate regular reggae I also love Ska. :shock: 8)
POP???? The Police!
How very dare you sir :D
Copeland was so technical, hand speed unreal and innovative too, obviously love Ginger baker, John Bonham Keith Moon etc but growing up Copeland was the inspiration, loved him more than The Police to be honest, never heard Sting only heard Copeland!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:

POP???? The Police!
Copeland was so technical, hand speed unreal and innovative too, obviously love Ginger baker, John Bonham Keith Moon etc but growing up Copeland was the inspiration, loved him more than The Police to be honest, never heard Sting only heard Copeland!
Yeah the Police were elevated above pop music for me too. 8)

Strangely though, as a guitarist I do love to hear a good drummer. For me the difference between Dio's early albums (apart obviously from Ronnie's amazing voice and Vivian Campbell's immense shredding) and most metal at the time was Vinne Appice's drumming. The man was a genius at spacial drumming. He seldom played a flat 4x4. Off he'd go with Tom rolls and syncopated fills. He really knew how to take a song somewhere. He also understood that what you don't play can often be as impactful as what you do play. 8)

Dude, if we had a singer we could form a Gooner band on here: you on drums, OneBard on rhythm guitar, me on lead guitar, and sid, or an inanimate carbon rod, on bass. :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:53 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:

POP???? The Police!
Yeah the Police were elevated above pop music for me too. 8)

Strangely though, as a guitarist I do love to hear a good drummer. For me the difference between Dio's early albums (apart obviously from Ronnie's amazing voice and Vivian Campbell's immense shredding) and most metal at the time was Vinne Appice's drumming. The man was a genius at spacial drumming. He seldom played a flat 4x4. Off he'd go with Tom rolls and syncopated fills. He really knew how to take a song somewhere. He also understood that what you don't play can often be as impactful as what you do play. 8)

Dude, if we had a singer we could form a Gooner band on here: you on drums, OneBard on rhythm guitar, me on lead guitar, and sid, or an inanimate carbon rod, on bass. :D :wink:
Yeah!! Sid would be the one in the Gimp Mask :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

My Favourite drummer was/is Bill Bruford, I think Yes went downhill after Alan White joined - I think he only got the gig because he played on Imagine by John Lennon :? :roll:

2nd would be Neil Peart (RIP) of Rush..Saw them twice and the solo's he did were not only Awesome and Exhausting - But seriously not for one moment was I 'bored'.

3rd would be Steve Gadd (Jazz and Session Musician supreme) there is Nothing he cannot play...saw him with George Benson back in the 80's in London and it was unreal the fills and stuff he was playing, Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever etc) Bass player came on and they did a Duet/Dual that made me want to weep it was so good.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:58 pm
My Favourite drummer was/is Bill Bruford, I think Yes went downhill after Alan White joined - I think he only got the gig because he played on Imagine by John Lennon :? :roll:

2nd would be Neil Peart (RIP) of Rush..Saw them twice and the solo's he did were not only Awesome and Exhausting - But seriously not for one moment was I 'bored'.

3rd would be Steve Gadd (Jazz and Session Musician supreme) there is Nothing he cannot play...saw him with George Benson back in the 80's in London and it was unreal the fills and stuff he was playing, Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever etc) Bass player came on and they did a Duet/Dual that made me want to weep it was so good.
yeah Steve Gadd is a bit of a drumming god, you also cant go wrong with Taylor Hawkins of The Foo fighters, the way he plays he shouldn`t be good because he looks so tense when he plays but he is quality!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:35 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

yeah Steve Gadd is a bit of a drumming god, you also cant go wrong with Taylor Hawkins of The Foo fighters, the way he plays he shouldn`t be good because he looks so tense when he plays but he is quality!

So who would you say are your Top 3 Drummers mate?

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

1} Stewart Copeland
2} John Bonham
3} Buddy Rich

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:43 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

1} Stewart Copeland
2} John Bonham
3} Buddy Rich

Funnily enough I almost opted for Buddy Rich, a dear ole (RIP) Uncle of mine (Uncle gerry) - He was the drummer in a Local Big Swing Band: Horns, Bass, Guitar, Piano, Organ, 3 male Vox, 3 female Vox, and he used to play Buddy Rich Records all the time ...He was before my time really, But I have seen some video's of him on YT and he is just Jaw Droppingly Awesome....

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Yeah Buddy Rich was amazing, when I started playing as a kid my uncle made me listen to Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa records, before my time also so the jazz tunes themselves never got me I just waited for Rich or Krupa to go into a 10 minute drum solo, Rich had the quickest hands ever seen, unbelievable speed and technically brilliant!
My uncle was adamant you couldn`t play the drums without listening and watching Rich first as part of your education and he was right, {he was a drummer too who gave me my first kit}

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Anyone in the slightest bit interested in Rhythm/s or Drumming/Percussion etc should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BiYQt5cLgU