Usmanov offers Wiggy a Billion Quid for Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: Usmanov offers Wiggy a Billion Quid for Arsenal

Post by armchair »

One things for sure. The club won't want to see fans staying behind with banners like yesterday.
It does their brand no good.

Maybe they wernt so worried when it happened away from the Emirates so hopefully they'll want to go into the new season without all this bad atmosphere and discontent.

But still anti-Kroenke banners and chants are ok with some but even yesterday I was called all sorts of names and a guy ( the same guy who attacked us at Man City last season) had to be physically stopped from attacking me by a steward and some random guy who had just come up to talk to me about Wenger.

And remember, those who were singing Kroenke out yesterday were the same people who were singing One Arsene Wenger at the "protest" last season. :|

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Think you might find it difficult to get banners in next season, they'll be more prepared :rubchin:

armchair

Post by armchair »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Think you might find it difficult to get banners in next season, they'll be more prepared :rubchin:
I was pleasantly surprised actually. Something has definitely come down to the stewards from above.
There was a kick-up about the violence that happened at City last season and the fact that Arsenal stewards were there involved with confiscating banners.
The stewards made no attempt to take banners off us (once we got them through the searches :wink: ).
On the contrary, as I mentioned above one steward actually prevented me from being assaulted. He actually said "He has a right to express himself" All he wanted was for me to stop standing on the seats. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

armchair wrote:Imagine protesting to get Wenger Out but then changing your mind in the hope that another owner will come in and somewhere down the line they'll fall out and Wenger will get sacked.

I swear I give up.

That might be aimed at me Armchair, but as I said, I've wanted Wenger out for over 10 years, although I believe Stan is / will be the biggest problem long term. I have campaigned for Wenger out, because it's the logical step, but not for one moment have I thought that our problems would then be over. I have no doubt that a decent manager would make a much better fist of things than Wenger (it would be impossible not to ffs), but I don't see us competing at the level that the Club could and should be competing at, under Kroenke.

We've all agreed that this is no more than speculation, but there has to be some rationale involved and it makes political sense for Usmanov to have said the positive things about Wenger, given the Fraud's standing with the plankton etc. No guarantees, but that's my opinion. What doesn't make sense is the point that i highlighted in my previous post.....why spend an absolute fortune to sit there and watch Wenger continue to fail. That is Kroenke's business model...failing sports teams. It isn't a world that Usmanov inhabits, why would he start now ? If it's just an investment (as it is for Kroenke), then why pay way over the odds as he's offering to, instead of sticking the money in a venture in the energy business that's made him billions ? I'll repeat, I'd take a chance on Usmanov being our Abramovich, because what I do know, is that Kroenke sure as hell never will be.

I've not changed my mind on Wenger out for a second, I just don't trust Kroenke to act. We'll know soon enough. What I couldn't consider, was Usmanov taking over (not that I think it is likely), but his entry into the scene has to make us think again. I'd take Usmanov tomorrow and I have no doubt that Wenger would be gone within a year, so both Kroenke and Wenger gone would be a dream come true.....that's opinion of course.

I asked a question earlier.....what will be your take on Kroenke if he renews the Fraud's contract ? His ambition, or lack of, will become very clear after that board meeting.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Retro Gunner wrote:
I asked a question earlier.....what will be your take on Kroenke if he renews the Fraud's contract ? His ambition, or lack of, will become very clear after that board meeting.
I've asked him that before and never got an answer, wonder why?. :rubchin:

He will just continue to blame Wenger for having the cheek to take the £9M on offer to continue his delusional dream.

I wish my boss would offer me that sort of money for my delusions, I would have to think long and hard about accepting it though. :roll:

I actually think that it might be Wenger himself that decides to call it quits afterall, he's clearly been rattled by the "hostile environment" he is working under and doesn't really need the money anyway.

armchair

Post by armchair »

I'm really not overly concerned who owns the club as long as funds are made available to the manager and he let's the manager manage the team.
Kroenke has pretty much done that. To a fault some could argue. But my problem is and always has been those who make stupid stuff up.
Like he's bleeding the club dry etc.

Yes he should have sacked Wenger but for all the reasons put forward before he hasn't done that.
I think we've done enough anyhow.

My protesting days are over. Next season I'm going to less matches and will be bringing my boy. Try to enjoy it thorough him.

General

Post by General »

By the way prior to Abramovich taking over Chelsea, I recall he promised Ken Bates a top job. Once the takeover went through he got rid of him like a shot and Bates went complaining to the media. These Russians are ruthless like that and Usmanov is less likely to be as patient with Wenger like Kroenke has. Of course this is all based on perception and not evidence . Getting rid of Wenger immediately weakens Kroenke's position and I would take this over the hope that Usmanov would magically take over and pull the trigger. Prey in crosshairs and you want to pull out in the hope that it's crushed by a falling tree?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

armchair wrote:I'm really not overly concerned who owns the club as long as funds are made available to the manager and he let's the manager manage the team.
Kroenke has pretty much done that. To a fault some could argue. But my problem is and always has been those who make stupid stuff up.

Yes he should have sacked Wenger but for all the reasons put forward before he hasn't done that.

My protesting days are over. Next season I'm going to less matches and will be bringing my boy. Try to enjoy it thorough him.

I'm not digging you or anyone else out. I admire your resolve and indeed your bravery (same goes for Nick) to protest with those banners inside the bowl. We all owe both you and he a lot, regardless of differences of opinion here and there. The fact remains that almost everyone on here wants the old tosser gone.

I hope you'll still protest (if needs be !!), but fully understand how you've had a belly full.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Retro Gunner wrote:
armchair wrote:I'm really not overly concerned who owns the club as long as funds are made available to the manager and he let's the manager manage the team.

I'm not digging you or anyone else out. I admire your resolve and indeed your bravery (same goes for Nick) to protest with those banners inside the bowl. We all owe both you and he a lot, regardless of differences of opinion here and there. The fact remains that almost everyone on here wants the old tosser gone.

I hope you'll still protest (if needs be !!), but fully understand how you've had a belly full.
I know mate. Whatever will be will be.
But I do know that we couldn't have done any more than we have and just hope that Gazidis wins the day. But I wonder what people's views on Kroenke will be if Wenger is ousted on Saturday?

Interestingly though it seems that people's position on Kroenke has changed back again since the Usmanov bid ..
Originilly it was Kroenke Out! Bleeding the club dry etc, etc.
Then it was that his crime was not to sack Wenger earlier. (A position I agree with)
But now after Usmanovs bid positions seem to have hardened again and were back to Kroenke Out! again.

My view is anything that dilutes, diverts or changes the spotlight even one iota from Wenger is not welcome and only muddy the water and confuses the issue.

The most recent protests was always WengerOut/NoNewContract first. Kroenke next.
That's my stance. Hasn't changed and wont

NickF

Post by NickF »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Think you might find it difficult to get banners in next season, they'll be more prepared :rubchin:
Absolute rubbish. You don't even have to hide banners to get them in. The club are more than happy to let them in.

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

NickF wrote:
Absolute rubbish. You don't even have to hide banners to get them in. The club are more than happy to let them in.
Is ivan handing them out? :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

EastupperA wrote:
NickF wrote:
Is ivan handing them out? :lol:

:lol: :lol: Quality.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Retro Gunner wrote:

Not for me, I already said I won't go next season if Wenger is still there (regardless of who the owner is. :wink: ).

armchair

Post by armchair »

General wrote:Prey in crosshairs and you want to pull out in the hope that it's crushed by a falling tree?
:lol:
You're a poet. But that's pretty much it, in a nutshell

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

armchair wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I know mate. Whatever will be will be.
But I do know that we couldn't have done any more than we have and just hope that Gazidis wins the day. But I wonder what people's views on Kroenke will be if Wenger is ousted on Saturday?

Interestingly though it seems that people's position on Kroenke has changed back again since the Usmanov bid ..
Originilly it was Kroenke Out! Bleeding the club dry etc, etc.
Then it was that his crime was not to sack Wenger earlier. (A position I agree with)
But now after Usmanovs bid positions seem to have hardened again and were back to Kroenke Out! again.

My view is anything that dilutes, diverts or changes the spotlight even one iota from Wenger is not welcome and only muddy the water and confuses the issue.

The most recent protests was always WengerOut/NoNewContract first. Kroenke next.
That's my stance. Hasn't changed and wont

I have avoided getting into this Wenger versus Kroenke spat, because it seemed to me to almost be an argument for the sake of it. For me, it's as Bob Bayliss has said, Wenger's the battle, Kroenke's the war. I agree with your last paragraph, that diluting and compromising the protest message would be counter productive.

That said, as I said previously, I did feel about 4 years ago, that perhaps going after Kroenke was the best way to get Wenger out. The rationale was that we would never get enough anti Wenger sentiment to drive him out, but that the muppets in the bowl would readily turn on Kroenke.

Now, Kroenke, safely ensconced on his ranch thousands of miles away, may not have batted an eyelid, but history has shown that under fire boards usually turn on the manager, in the hope that the fans will be placated. Who knows. Sadly, what has been proven, is that not enough people will protest against Wenger. Let's be honest, this season has been the culmination of a long series of pony seasons and we have looked desperate and dire. Yet STILL they won't protest. I didn't say this at the time on here, because I wanted to talk the protests up, but after each march, I left feeling ever more deflated. The no show of all bar about 20 of us at the West Ham game was incredibly dispiriting, as was the few that marched before Utd. But lo and behold, a bid from Usmanov and the fans INSIDE the bowl, can't wait to get stuck into Kroenke !! So, while mixed messages over the protest target is a mistake, would getting after Kroenke gain so much traction, that Wenger becomes a casualty ? Frankly, my head spins with all this bollocks and who the fuck knows which approach is best. :?