THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Gunner Rob »

xgtdec wrote:2 silvers, dont renew and piss away years of waiting for them....or renew knowing im funding the choice to keep wenger, thats the kicker....i dont want to give them up and it kills me to spend and justify keeping the krunt.....
I would keep them.
I don't actually think the red/silver membership means much in the big picture - the business model is based on the season tickets.
when the club cant sell those then there is a problem - and of course if the ST waiting list evaporated then there wouldn't really be a need for red/silver memberships anyway. it would be back to pay on the day, and which I predict will happen by the end of the next 2 years.

dano

When Wenger signs

Post by dano »

Looks a done deal, what are your plans?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Is now the right time to suggest a celebratory BBQ event? :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:Is now the right time to suggest a celebratory BBQ event? :D
As long as arsenic is on the menu :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:Numb.....absolutely numb.....like I am with pretty much all things Arsenal these days.

I am genuinely interested in how they are going to spin this. At the very least they are going to want it to appear like some "change" is taking place but as he won't accept a DOF or any other background appointments for that matter how are they going to justify it?

2 more years.....do they honestly think we can win the league under him next season or the one after? Do they think we can win the CL in 2019 (if we even qualify) under him?

If the answer to either/both of those questions is yes then they're completely deluded, if the answer is no then it proves that the whole operation is all about making shed loads of cash.

Which we know to be the case anyway. :roll:

They don't have to justify it Rodders, the Cup Final win has done that. Those that think like the majority of us on here are still in the minority. There's no real stomach to see the old fucker gone and the protests were proof of that. Despite the ever worsening results (prior to our eventual glory run :roll: ), the protests were attracting less and less support.

He would have stayed regardless of Saturday's result, but anyone who still thinks it had no bearing is deluded. Wenger's overt triumphalism was clearer than I've ever seen (interestingly, just as it was after the semi), because he knew that it was all he needed as justification. Without the win, I doubt the announcement would have yet been finalised and "leaked" and I suspect that Ivan and maybe others, would have had some serious input as to the future. As it is, the vast majority of the cretinous fanbase will be lapping up the news (as will our rivals....if I can still call them rivals !) and we'll be hearing how he's "gonna spend big" and we'll be challenging for the PL next season. :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I hope you've got a very big tin hat mate :lol: :lol:

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Fuck it, i'm in. I could do with a fucking good drink.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

General wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:We have entered Cloughie and Forest territory here. Next season, we will finish 7th and the season after, we'll be down to 8th or 9th. I'm done now. Fucking done with this.

No we wont we'll get top 4 next season and it will be considered a success
He will get back in top 4 next season and sell it as progress. 2steps back 1step forward.

no he won't - Wenger has only managed to get top 4 season after season because he was already there.
he has no chance when you look at the clubs/managers he is now up against.

if Sanchez leaves then expect us to drop to 7th or 8th.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:

I hope you've got a very big tin hat mate :lol: :lol:

from a moderators point of view I'm just sitting here looking at the list of users online........just waiting for a few particular names to appear :lol:

I think my 'edit' button might break before the day is out.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:Numb.....absolutely numb.....like I am with pretty much all things Arsenal these days.

I am genuinely interested in how they are going to spin this. At the very least they are going to want it to appear like some "change" is taking place but as he won't accept a DOF or any other background appointments for that matter how are they going to justify it?

2 more years.....do they honestly think we can win the league under him next season or the one after? Do they think we can win the CL in 2019 (if we even qualify) under him?

If the answer to either/both of those questions is yes then they're completely deluded, if the answer is no then it proves that the whole operation is all about making shed loads of cash.

Which we know to be the case anyway. :roll:
to be fair to Kroenke he has been very clear that he is not interested in winning titles or European competitions

Justinsaid

Post by Justinsaid »

I dont think this will come as much of a surprise to people. If he was leaving, I think they would have announced it weeks ago.

Another two years of completely divided support.

I dont blame Wenger, he honestly believes he can do it and is the best man for the job. The board and Stan are the ones allowing this to happen, that is the area we NEED to address.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Even worse is that it is a 2-yr deal, there were rumours of a 1-yr deal so the club could have time to search for a successor, giving him 2 years it sounds like Kroenke actually believes Wenger has some sort of plan that makes sense (lol :shock: ), just shows how clueless he is, perhaps winning the cup was the worst thing for us because it was one of the few games he bothered to turn up at and it happened to be one of the few games this season where we played well (ffs!).

It's no wonder we are now a joke of a club when we have two massive c**ts running it, I'd advise all to give up their membership as don't worry, the way these two are taking the club in 5-10 years time you will be able to pick up tickets on the day on general sale for most games!.

They better hope they can hold on to Sanchez now, I think after this if he leaves the fans go into proper meltdown.

:twisted: :evil:

General

Post by General »

I really don't get the rationale behind the 2year contract. 1year is bad enough but 2? The world has gone mad.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:We have entered Cloughie and Forest territory here. Next season, we will finish 7th and the season after, we'll be down to 8th or 9th. I'm done now. Fucking done with this.

He will get back in top 4 next season and sell it as progress. 2steps back 1step forward.

no he won't - Wenger has only managed to get top 4 season after season because he was already there.

This sounds like wengerism, soon top 4 will be the target for the fans and he will make it, and that will be a success. It's not a success not anymore, not when we have money. We should be building a squad to try to win the league.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
General wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

Agreed, he's got no chance of top 4 next season. The four currently above us will strengthen and improve and the same goes for Utd. We are likely to lose 2 or 3 of our best players (at the very least Sanchez) and won't be able to attract talent of the required quality. We'll be battling with Everton and whoever else steps up from that 7th - 10th position....there's usually one.

Anyway, forget next season, it's the one after that is gonna be VERY messy !!