Le bumholes last game! between Herbert Chapman's teams Huddersfield and The Arsenal.Sun May 13th kick off 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: Le bumholes last game! between Herbert Chapman's teams Huddersfield and The Arsenal.Sun May 13th kick off 3pm

Post by herbert »

And quite right in my eyes
We didn't move from Highbury to be 6th :banghead: :D

Jock Gooner

Re: Le bumholes last game! between Herbert Chapman's teams Huddersfield and The Arsenal.Sun May 13th kick off 3pm

Post by Jock Gooner »

herbert wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Neil's Arsenal were 18th and just been knocked out of the cup by Walsall,it took no more than a couple of thousand to shout there anger outside and inside the old girl and the board acted

No way would Wenger get any lower than we have without the people who matter turning on him(majority of season ticket holders) and membership attending supporters

6th is the modern 18th
It's difficult to compare the two as football has moved on so much but suffice to say that neither 6th or 18th is good enough for our club. The fans of my age/era who stood on the NB and in A.Rd outside the ground to call for Neil's head have aged and what I was prepared to do in my teens I am not necessarily going to do in later life. I would imagine there are plenty of others of a similar outlook. Certainly a lot of the guys where I sit have wanted TOF out for years and some folk understandably won't get into it all because of how divisive it is. I have said before that change achieved through the apathy of 5 - 10k leaving their seats empty for a few games is a sad indictment of where football is at.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Neil's Arsenal were 18th and just been knocked out of the cup by Walsall,it took no more than a couple of thousand to shout there anger outside and inside the old girl and the board acted

No way would Wenger get any lower than we have without the people who matter turning on him(majority of season ticket holders) and membership attending supporters

6th is the modern 18th
What did for Neill was losing two semis the season before and the early season defeats to United and Liverpool at Highbury, Walsall was just the straw that led to his departure given what happened 50 years before. The protests after that game probably just pushed him over the edge he was teetering on, he was going any way.

Wenger has always somehow managed to spin the disasters and not let them take him down. 2-8, 1-5, 1-6, 0-6 are the sort of results that no top manager should experience more than once or twice, yet on 7 occassions that's what Arsenal did yet Wenger somehow survived. Amazed he wasn't sacked six years ago.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm

6th is the modern 18th
What did for Neill was losing two semis the season before and the early season defeats to United and Liverpool at Highbury, Walsall was just the straw that led to his departure given what happened 50 years before. The protests after that game probably just pushed him over the edge he was teetering on, he was going any way.

Wenger has always somehow managed to spin the disasters and not let them take him down. 2-8, 1-5, 1-6, 0-6 are the sort of results that no top manager should experience more than once or twice, yet on 7 occassions that's what Arsenal did yet Wenger somehow survived. Amazed he wasn't sacked six years ago.
6 years ago there was nobody who had the power to sack him.
‘If Arsene has a plan we back him, if not we stay silent”
He wasn’t ever going to resign was he.
Gazidis allied with Josh - brought in the dream team behind the scenes to do the transfers and contracts to remove his power, then he is just a coach / manger which can easily be replaced.

herbert

Post by herbert »

The Chapman derby ,A match many will associate with the Arsenals 2 greatest managers but since the news that he is leaving hit us I have been googling and wikipiding :oops: the history of our managers and Tom Whittaker has a claim to that title :shock: he won 2 league titles when he took over from GA after the war but if you dig deep enough the 2 titles we won before war broke out he was assistant to GA who apparently only dealt with the media and contracts ,Tom was the coach of the players and most of them gave him the credit for them titles+so its 4 for Tommy :barscarf:

I am going to change my username :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Less than 48 hours and it'll all be over. The shittest of shit seasons, the end of Le Bumhole and hopefully calamitous defending

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

On the contrary to what has been said before I want Shit for Brains to end up with zero away points in 2018, and a new manager to show how fucking easy it is by winning the very next away game. Another nail in the myth burying coffin

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

herbert wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:12 pm
The Chapman derby ,A match many will associate with the Arsenals 2 greatest managers but since the news that he is leaving hit us I have been googling and wikipiding :oops: the history of our managers and Tom Whittaker has a claim to that title :shock: he won 2 league titles when he took over from GA after the war but if you dig deep enough the 2 titles we won before war broke out he was assistant to GA who apparently only dealt with the media and contracts ,Tom was the coach of the players and most of them gave him the credit for them titles+so its 4 for Tommy :barscarf:
Whittaker is to Chapman what Paisley is to Shankly. Both just carried on from their predecessors. Chapman is possibly the greatest football manager ever. It is not just the trophies he won, it is his influence on football (white balls, numbered shirts, floodlights) and how he made Arsenal what they are (white sleeves, marble halls, tube station). He turned Arsenal from a go nowhere club into the greatest club in the world in a decade.

Offside

Post by Offside »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm
Good fucking riddance and he gets a giant FUCK OFF from me.

And let’s hope that every window licking AKB dickhead that’s enabled this cluster fuck for so many years pisses off with him.

Fuck being gracious or singing his name or giving him thanks. FUCK HIM :twisted:
That would be great

herbert

Post by herbert »

arrgee wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm
herbert wrote:
Whittaker is to Chapman what Paisley is to Shankly. Both just carried on from their predecessors. Chapman is possibly the greatest football manager ever. It is not just the trophies he won, it is his influence on football (white balls, numbered shirts, floodlights) and how he made Arsenal what they are (white sleeves, marble halls, tube station). He turned Arsenal from a go nowhere club into the greatest club in the world in a decade.
Yep ,the one question I would love to ask him? why the white sleeves? read a few different versions and would hope its the golf story thats correct

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 pm
Less than 48 hours and it'll all be over. The shittest of shit seasons, the end of Le Bumhole and hopefully calamitous defending

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

On the contrary to what has been said before I want Shit for Brains to end up with zero away points in 2018, and a new manager to show how fucking easy it is by winning the very next away game. Another nail in the myth burying coffin
Seconded. Going out with 8 away defeats on the bounce would be fitting.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

herbert wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 pm
The planes on both sides are a big no from me
Singing his name I have no problem with

The away defeats hurt and it's not good enough but remember that we went 2
Title winning seasons without an away defeat, that's football

He is going,let those of us who want to say goodbye do it without being labelled
Sorry mate but those seasons were 16 and 14 years ago - a lifetime in top level football. Since then Wenger has regularly plumbed depths never seen by an Arsenal manager - 8-2, 10-2, 6-0, 6-3 etc - 7 away defeats in a row - 22 European failures. The list is endless!!

You'd need a Sony Betamax to watch any of Wenger's big successes.

So many current managers have achieved more recent success than Wenger. Even Rafa Benitez won the Champions League in 2005, got to the final in 2007, the semi final in 2008 and won the Europa League in 2013.

Wenger has humiliated us by putting his own needs and wishes ahead of what is right for the Club and for that reason alone I will never forgive him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

arrgee wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm
herbert wrote:
100% agreed

herbert

Post by herbert »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 pm
herbert wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 pm
The planes on both sides are a big no from me
Singing his name I have no problem with

The away defeats hurt and it's not good enough but remember that we went 2
Title winning seasons without an away defeat, that's football

He is going,let those of us who want to say goodbye do it without being labelled
Sorry mate but those seasons were 16 and 14 years ago - a lifetime in top level football. Since then Wenger has regularly plumbed depths never seen by an Arsenal manager - 8-2, 10-2, 6-0, 6-3 etc - 7 away defeats in a row - 22 European failures. The list is endless!!

You'd need a Sony Betamax to watch any of Wenger's big successes.

So many current managers have achieved more recent success than Wenger. Even Rafa Benitez won the Champions League in 2005, got to the final in 2007, the semi final in 2008 and won the Europa League in 2013.

Wenger has humiliated us by putting his own needs and wishes ahead of what is right for the Club and for that reason alone I will never forgive him.
14 and 16 yrs ago it is still an experience that only a few supporters will ever have we had it twice but 7 or 8 or loads more away defeats has and will continue to be an experience for many supporters ,it hurts but I wont let it eat away at me

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Is it wrong i'm getting a cup final kind of buzz about Sunday :oops:

NickF

Post by NickF »

The thing for me is that we haven't challenged for the title for years and yet a lot of people seem to think that winning the title 14 years ago still justifies paying Wenger 10m a year. Amazing that to this day some still fail to understand.

Thank f##k it will all be over on Sunday.