Ban Cypriot flags of all types and be done with it (Dec 29)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Cy_Gooner

Ban ILLEGAL flags only!

Post by Cy_Gooner »

I really dont know WHERE to begin in response to this post. Does the author to this post even have the slightest bit of understanding as to what is going on? Obviously not as on his post the picture of the flag shown was labelled 'A MORE internationally recognised version of the flag of Cyprus'...its the ONLY recognised flag. The flag that we asked to have remonved is an internationally unrecognised flag whose only representation is the illegal occupation of Northern Cyprus. This flag represents the reason as to why thousands of greek Cypriots have not been able to return to their homes for 32 years and whom STILL have family/friends missing. We have NO problem whatsoever with a Turkish flag being on display, however, when an unrecognised flag that represents illegal occupation of our homes is on display at a stadium we love, where we go to watch our team...it ruins the occasion. Its not just the fact that it ruins the occasion...this flag is on display for the world to see each time an Arsenal game is televised and by doing nothing about it means that we are accepting it. Arsenal has hundreds of thousands of Greek Cypriot supporters (also young upcoming midfielder Giogios Efrem is greek Cypriot). The Bank of Cyprus even had a advertising board up at highbury. Arsenal could simply impose a ban on all internationally unrecognised and illegal flags! Would that not also be a solution?

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Like I said, I bet if there was a National Front, BNP or Nazi flag displayed, it would be taken down straight away because they are issues well documented.

Seems like the oppression of a community who has strongly supported the club for about 50 odd years doesnt matter - lets go with the easiest decision to get the St Georges Cross flag back.

gooner Erol

Flag ban

Post by gooner Erol »

A reply to cy_gooner's post,which ever flag we put up would be a problem for you!
On the Porto game a flag of Turkey was put up next to the Cyprus flag & the guy had so many complaints for THAT flag & he ended up taking down both flags at the request of the club during the game.
At the end of the day if you like it or not is a flag of the Turkish Cypriots & is here to stay Cyprus does NOT belong to you solely however much wish it too, maybe if this was remembered 32 years ago you would not have started the conflict in the first place...........

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Cyprus belongs to all Cypriots Erol, not Turkey! Which is what the flag represents...the Turkish occupation in Cyprus as they run the show in the north, not Turkish Cypriots.

What gives Turkish Cypriots the rights to steal our homes and ruin our heritage? Willfully taken propaganda from Turkey???

Pav

Post by Pav »

So, who do you think will replace Adebayor tomorrow......!

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

The Beast

archiks

Post by archiks »

THE MOMENT THAT THIS TURKISH GUY BROUGHT THAT ILLEGAL OPPRESSIVE OFFENSIVE FLAG INTO OUR STADIUM WAS THE MOMENT HE BROUGHT POLITICS INTO FOOTBALL AND AN ATTEMPT TO BRING IT TO THE NATIONAL EYE.
Their forums said, quote "get our brothers to take all the TRNC flags, and make sure they get on match of the day" hhhmmmm not political? dont make me laugh.
We only wanted to remove politics from football and watch ARSENAL

archiks

Post by archiks »

THE MOMENT THAT THIS TURKISH GUY BROUGHT THAT ILLEGAL OPPRESSIVE OFFENSIVE FLAG INTO OUR STADIUM WAS THE MOMENT HE BROUGHT POLITICS INTO FOOTBALL AND AN ATTEMPT TO BRING IT TO THE NATIONAL EYE.
Their forums said, quote "get our brothers to take all the TRNC flags, and make sure they get on match of the day" hhhmmmm not political? dont make me laugh.
We only wanted to remove politics from football and watch ARSENAL
And Errol you said "whatever flag we bring out" ??? this proves our point, are you Turkish? or are you Cypriot? if you are cypriot then the internationally reckognised flag of Cyprus (designed by a Turkish Cyprioy by the way) would and should be the one you wave.

gooner Erol

reply to last post

Post by gooner Erol »

My name's Erol thanks i think you need to look well how it's spelt next time. Yes Turkish Cypriot & proud, your comments are unreal but hey, keep it going it's laughable!....

archiks

Post by archiks »

Im sorryErol, the mis spelling of your name was not meant out of disrespect...but sort of proves a point in your aggressive and argumentative response. pretty petty in an ADULT discussion.