VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Snapper

VAR

Post by Red Snapper »

Over the last few weeks we've seen what VAR might be like. Am I alone in thinking that it could ruin football as a spectacle? It may not even deliver the correct decision. Does anyone think that was a penalty for the mancs at PSG? Was that definitely offside for England the other night? It also leads to long gaps in play. Rugby league have been using it for a while and, although I don't watch much of it, it seems that the referees have abdicated from making decisions and want to check with tv for everything. Isn't part of the entertainment of sport that human error is part of playing it and in it's officiating?
What is the point of leaping up in delight celebrating a goal if we know we'll have to wait five minutes to see if it will be allowed? It has the potential to extend games by fifteen or twenty minutes. I am not looking forward to the latest "advance" in football technology.

DB10GOONER

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

There is no debate here. VAR will ruin football. It is complete horseshit. Complete fucking horseshit.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I think it will add something extra to the match. I can think of more occasions where Var would've benefitted us last season, the game at Spurs springs to mind straight away, as had VAR been in operation that day we would've taken all 3 points and finished 3d/4th. Also, a few times we've had goals disallowed when an offside decision was incorrectly called, and on the other hand, Mane's goal would've stood against us.
It takes away the harassment element of the referee to try and influence his decision. Players will get booked if they suggest VAR. like they should do if the suggest a yellow card. It'll keep the ref in line too, as sometimes it seems they are too interested in their own egos and make decisions that massage that ego rather than make a decision in the context of the game.
Yes, the man city spurds decision was painful but it was ultimately the right decision and that is what we want to see.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:22 pm
Over the last few weeks we've seen what VAR might be like. Am I alone in thinking that it could ruin football as a spectacle? It may not even deliver the correct decision. Does anyone think that was a penalty for the mancs at PSG? Was that definitely offside for England the other night? It also leads to long gaps in play. Rugby league have been using it for a while and, although I don't watch much of it, it seems that the referees have abdicated from making decisions and want to check with tv for everything. Isn't part of the entertainment of sport that human error is part of playing it and in it's officiating?
What is the point of leaping up in delight celebrating a goal if we know we'll have to wait five minutes to see if it will be allowed? It has the potential to extend games by fifteen or twenty minutes. I am not looking forward to the latest "advance" in football technology.
Good post. A few of us touched on the VAR thing in the Modern Football is Bollocks thread but it will probably justify its own thread in due course! Amongst many things the highlighted part is my main gripe with VAR. There will be no point celebrating a goal until VAR has verified it minutes later ... and even if it is subsequently awarded as a goal, the moment we all love the most is pretty much ruined.

I watched the England game in a pub yesterday lunchtime and when England scored a few lads jumped up. I said (actually meaning it sarcastically because the goal looked fine) '' yeah don't celebrate yet lads, VAR will find something'' .... and sure enough it did. I was jokingly accused of jinxing it but my fear is it will become the norm to hold back and wait.

Also how far does VAR go back? If a goal kick was wrongly awarded at the other end instead of a corner, does that mean the goal is disallowed? I bet if you looked hard enough you could find a reason to rule out most goals.
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 pm
There is no debate here. VAR will ruin football. It is complete horseshit. Complete fucking horseshit.
100% agree mate.

And wait for the increase in defenders or keepers throwing themselves down in their own box in the hope that if the ball goes in, the VAR will disallow it because they were fouled :roll:

Goal-line technology has proved to be a good thing but that's where the technology interference should begin and end in my opinion.
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:46 pm
I think it will add something extra to the match. I can think of more occasions where Var would've benefitted us last season, the game at Spurs springs to mind straight away, as had VAR been in operation that day we would've taken all 3 points and finished 3d/4th. Also, a few times we've had goals disallowed when an offside decision was incorrectly called, and on the other hand, Mane's goal would've stood against us.
It takes away the harassment element of the referee to try and influence his decision. Players will get booked if they suggest VAR. like they should do if the suggest a yellow card. It'll keep the ref in line too, as sometimes it seems they are too interested in their own egos and make decisions that massage that ego rather than make a decision in the context of the game.
Yes, the man city spurds decision was painful but it was ultimately the right decision and that is what we want to see.
Yeah ideally we want the right decisions but surely not if its sacrificing another important part of the game to get them?

Is it more important to get EVERY decision right if it ruins what is one of the most important things in the game like spontaneous goal celebrations. Do we really want EVERY goal scrutinised in explicit detail while we all stand around waiting for the verdict?

Apologies if this is a bad example but couldn't we also guarantee there will be no more road fatalities if we reduce the speed limit to 5mph? How many of us would agree to wiping out street crime if it meant our own freedom to go where we want and when we want was wiped out as well? Are we prepared to make those sacrifices? Maybe they're a bit extreme and do not belong in a VAR discussion but I am just asking how much are we prepared to lose just to get one other thing right?

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Referees & officials have been biased against Arsenal for years, we have had some right dodgy decisions go against us. :cussing: :cussing:

Plus the twats at Untold Arsenal & many other statisticians, even Wenger have been claiming as such for ages. :rubchin: One article I read a while back said we were cheated out of 7 points over one season! :banghead:

A Google search comes up with loads of similar articles such as this one.
https://metro.co.uk/2016/02/19/stats-sh ... e-5706207/

Now VAR is out we shall see if there is a real difference, I suspect there will be. :shock:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I was a big advocate of var and still think it does have a part to play, however when a goal is disallowed after you’ve been jumping around celebrating (citeh v spuds) then it is a terrible feeling!
The celebration of a goal is an instantaneous reaction and to lose that total feeling of abandonment would rob football of it’s very soul!
It will be interesting to see how often we see a hairline var decision disallow goals next season.
Var is here to stay, we just need to have those who implement it to be fully competent.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 pm
I was a big advocate of var and still think it does have a part to play, however when a goal is disallowed after you’ve been jumping around celebrating (citeh v spuds) then it is a terrible feeling!
The celebration of a goal is an instantaneous reaction and to lose that total feeling of abandonment would rob football of it’s very soul!
It will be interesting to see how often we see a hairline var decision disallow goals next season.
Var is here to stay, we just need to have those who implement it to be fully competent.
And there's the problem. They often are not competent. They are human and make mistakes just like referees. Interpretation is a key component here. Deliberate hand ball for one person is accidental for another. But when a referee makes a mistake it's usually instant and the "moment" isn't lost as such, the celebration of a goal for example either happens or it doesn't. It's decided quickly and we move on at pace. You don't feel robbed of that moment of celebration.

But this new shit of waiting anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes for a decision that may still be the wrong decision will rob the game of those moments, deprive it of its spontaneity and turn it into a slightly less boring version of the slow stop start tedious horseshit that is rugby ffs.

The game will develop into a passing parade of anticlimaxes and inward gazing over-analysis where every single VAR mistake will be shown ad infinitum on SlySports rubbing salt into the wound worse than a mistaken refereeing decision does now because VAR should mean no more mistakes, even though it never will.

A very wise man once said "just because we have the technology doesn't mean we should necessarily use the technology". 8)

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Fuck VAR.....FIFA and UEFA deserve the abuse they're gonna get over it,and you will STILL have the big teams getting the marginal decisions,the reason we all love football was because,whether at Hackney Marshes or the Maracana,it was the same rules,sunday football or World Cup Final the rules were the same,not now...another nail in football's coffin.

Just imagine Alan Sunderland's 79 Cup Final goal,or Anfield 89, now,it'd be ruined because some c unt would be running up to the ref making a "rectangle" shape with his fingers,hoping for a foul/offside decision, :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Fuck VAR.....FIFA and UEFA deserve the abuse they're gonna get over it,and you will STILL have the big teams getting the marginal decisions,the reason we all love football was because,whether at Hackney Marshes or the Maracana,it was the same rules,sunday football or World Cup Final the rules were the same,not now...another nail in football's coffin.

Just imagine Alan Sunderland's 79 Cup Final goal,or Anfield 89, now,it'd be ruined because some c unt would be running up to the ref making a "rectangle" shape with his fingers,hoping for a foul/offside decision, :banghead:
If they'd had VAR for Anfield 89 Gooners everywhere would now talk about "remember that 3 minutes when we were shitting it waiting for the goal to be allowed?" :roll:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:35 pm
robbo10 wrote:

If they'd had VAR for Anfield 89 Gooners everywhere would now talk about "remember that 3 minutes when we were shitting it waiting for the goal to be allowed?" :roll:
It might have been Big Tone who was famous now for putting up 3 fingers instead of Steve McMahon, :lol:

Its just going to destroy the ecstasy of a last gasp winner,which will be shite

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

It might have been Big Tone who was famous now for putting up 3 fingers instead of Steve McMahon, :lol:

3 finger Tone :D :barscarf:

What also fucks me off is the morons that are championing VAR don't seem to undrstand the culture of the game. They don't seem to get the concept of fans talking about that dodgy penno that won the game or having a good old moan about a shit refereeing decision. They want this boring sanitised "product" that they can market to cùnts as entertainment- just like a nice trip to the opera..... :roll: :censored:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:02 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

3 finger Tone :D :barscarf:

What also fucks me off is the morons that are championing VAR don't seem to undrstand the culture of the game. They don't seem to get the concept of fans talking about that dodgy penno that won the game or having a good old moan about a shit refereeing decision. They want this boring sanitised "product" that they can market to cùnts as entertainment- just like a nice trip to the opera..... :roll: :censored:
The only positive from VAR is it could rid us of total wankslop vermin like Adrian Durham (ceunt) off Talkshite,as he'll have fuck all to provoke people into calling his show about,

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

They tried hard enough to come up with a reason for the first one to be disallowed - offside , Smith never touched it, :blah: :blah: :blah: :barscarf:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:51 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

They tried hard enough to come up with a reason for the first one to be disallowed - offside , Smith never touched it, :blah: :blah: :blah: :barscarf:
Didn't quite blame Margaret Thatcher though to be fair.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm
StuartL wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:51 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Didn't quite blame Margaret Thatcher though to be fair.
:lol:

I think the Liverpool Echo ran an article blaming that first goal on smudger allegedly being a Tory voter and some Cockney accents being heard selling the Sun newspaper outside the ground.