ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Non flying Dutchman

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Non flying Dutchman »

Rian1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 pm
Never in this world would I have thought we’d see a PL team buy Iwobi. I mean, now that he’s gone we can talk without high emotions - the guy isn’t a bad player. As a sub for us he did quite well. Not a starter I agree and the decision making is as bad as Lukaku’s touch but overall he’s a decent player.

But fuck me have we robbed Everton. Maybe he does well over there, either way thank you and good luck. No point in cussing the lad, he’s gone now.
Agreed, not good enough (no final ball, composure etc) but still wish him all the best

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

augie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Next up a new goalkeeper in January as Leno is just a bit short of the quality needed to match the other top 6 clubs, but we may get away with this season.

Based on what ? The last few months he saved us on many occasions and was our stand out player 8)

I'm not saying Leno is top quality yet, but I'm wondering whether you would have dismissed de gea after his first season at manure :rubchin:
[/quote]

Indeed, we need to save the money we have left for a long-term centre back replacement not another keeper, Leno did fairly well last season and to get anyone better would cost mega money.

Sokratis is 31 and Luiz is 32, Saliba might be top drawer in a few years but there is no guarantee, Holding needs to establish himself properly, the others (Chambers, Mustafi etc.) are probably going elsewhere before long, we don't need to spend £50M+ on a keeper!.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Just dawned on me....have we only the two strikers at the club now that Welbz and Eddie are off? Who’s gonna play up top for the stiffs in the early rounds of the Europa and in the league cup? Surely not Lacca or Aubameyang every week?
the young land from brazil
He's a winger and has only just turned 18.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 pm
Tierney and Luiz, yep I'm happy with that, no...very happy with that. We've got the 5th best performing defender from last season. Given he was bettered by the 3 Liverpool lads and laporte at Man City, that is a great £8m spent and vitally only a 2 year contract which is what he had left on his Chelski deal.
Iwobi going t say kinda surprised as he was our top performing midfielder last season with 8 assists and 6 goals. Shit figures but better than anyone else in that squad, but couldn't turn down £35m. It suggests Emery sees Nelson as a better contributor to the team.
Well, Pepe and Cellabos simple have to perform to the level they've shown and we will good.
Good decision to send Nketiah on loan. Martinelli looks way ahead of Eddie.
There are still 3 weeks to move mustafi, mhki and elneny onto pastures new, which once they see where they are starting, i.e. not starting they'll want to leave. Ozil to DC United in January could be a mover, or at the very least he'll up his game to get into the starting eleven. Didn't he have more assists in pre-season than the whole of last season???

Just a question has anyone seen Cahill or Koscielny regularly make a 50 yard pass straight into the path of a striker or winger??? No didn't think so. Luiz is a better all round player and can get a defence organised. Also, gives us the option of the DM role instead of Xhaka.

Next up a new goalkeeper in January as Leno is just a bit short of the quality needed to match the other top 6 clubs, but we may get away with this season.

Based on what ? The last few months he saved us on many occasions and was our stand out player 8)

I'm not saying Leno is top quality yet, but I'm wondering whether you would have dismissed de gea after his first season at manure :rubchin:
De Gea was 18 year's old in his first season at manure, Jay Leno was 26 years old in his first season with us. Yep, he did the basics right but the ball bounces off him too often, and punches when its easier to catch the damn thing to be a top quality keeper.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 pm
Tierney and Luiz, yep I'm happy with that, no...very happy with that. We've got the 5th best performing defender from last season. Given he was bettered by the 3 Liverpool lads and laporte at Man City, that is a great £8m spent and vitally only a 2 year contract which is what he had left on his Chelski deal.
Iwobi going t say kinda surprised as he was our top performing midfielder last season with 8 assists and 6 goals. Shit figures but better than anyone else in that squad, but couldn't turn down £35m. It suggests Emery sees Nelson as a better contributor to the team.
Well, Pepe and Cellabos simple have to perform to the level they've shown and we will good.
Good decision to send Nketiah on loan. Martinelli looks way ahead of Eddie.
There are still 3 weeks to move mustafi, mhki and elneny onto pastures new, which once they see where they are starting, i.e. not starting they'll want to leave. Ozil to DC United in January could be a mover, or at the very least he'll up his game to get into the starting eleven. Didn't he have more assists in pre-season than the whole of last season???

Just a question has anyone seen Cahill or Koscielny regularly make a 50 yard pass straight into the path of a striker or winger??? No didn't think so. Luiz is a better all round player and can get a defence organised. Also, gives us the option of the DM role instead of Xhaka.

De Gea was 18 year's old in his first season at manure, Jay Leno was 26 years old in his first season with us. Yep, he did the basics right but the ball bounces off him too often, and punches when its easier to catch the damn thing to be a top quality keeper.

De gea was 21 in his first season at manure

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

If you had to play behind mustafi and the Swiss turd in midfield wouldn't you have dodgy spells

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm
augie wrote:

Indeed, we need to save the money we have left for a long-term centre back replacement not another keeper, Leno did fairly well last season and to get anyone better would cost mega money.

Sokratis is 31 and Luiz is 32, Saliba might be top drawer in a few years but there is no guarantee, Holding needs to establish himself properly, the others (Chambers, Mustafi etc.) are probably going elsewhere before long, we don't need to spend £50M+ on a keeper!.
[/quote]

We've got Holding, Chambers, Medley and Saliba to follow behimd Sokratis and Luiz, I think our future CB's will save us the need to buy a CB. £50m+ keeper is the going rate and we'll have to pay it unless Matt Macey develops into a world class keeper because our current two keepers are a long way off the mark.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Although I think we have enough CB's in the pipeline, wouldn't be surprised if Rugani joins in January if he's 3rd/ 4th choice at Juventus. Agreed personal terms but we didn't have the funds, given the money we'll get from Iwobi and a couple of others we might be able to stretch to afford him.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Not sure which is the most staggering deal, getting Luiz for virtually nothing if you offset the Kos fee, or the £30m received for Iwobi.

Luiz is still a great player, doesn't piss about, puts his foot in and has genuine presence. Even if it's for one season, he'll make a massive difference.

Iwobi showed occasional flashes but never consistently, and sadly was just not good enough. What Silva sees in him is an absolute mystery, what games could he possibly have watched? I saw most of them, and it can't have been any of those...

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Just dawned on me....have we only the two strikers at the club now that Welbz and Eddie are off? Who’s gonna play up top for the stiffs in the early rounds of the Europa and in the league cup? Surely not Lacca or Aubameyang every week?
the young land from brazil
He's a winger and has only just turned 18.
He can play up front so can Pépé

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

rodders999 wrote:
Pepe and Reiss can both play in the middle - Pepe as CF and Reiss as a deepl lying striker.

abaum5

Re: 2018 Summer Transfer Window

Post by abaum5 »

1989 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 am
New GK (Sell Ospina, retain Cech as back up)
New CB (Sell Mustafi, loan Holding)
New RB (Sell Bellerin)
New DM (Sell Elneny)
New LW (Sell Iwobi)

Good luck to the new manager.

Sell Iwobi! You called it! ha.

abaum5

Post by abaum5 »

Non flying Dutchman wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 pm
Never in this world would I have thought we’d see a PL team buy Iwobi. I mean, now that he’s gone we can talk without high emotions - the guy isn’t a bad player. As a sub for us he did quite well. Not a starter I agree and the decision making is as bad as Lukaku’s touch but overall he’s a decent player.

But fuck me have we robbed Everton. Maybe he does well over there, either way thank you and good luck. No point in cussing the lad, he’s gone now.
Agreed, not good enough (no final ball, composure etc) but still wish him all the best
He's scored 5 goals most in a PL season! He is a fancy dribbler with 0 end product. What an incredible way to end the window

abaum5

Post by abaum5 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:50 pm
Although I think we have enough CB's in the pipeline, wouldn't be surprised if Rugani joins in January if he's 3rd/ 4th choice at Juventus. Agreed personal terms but we didn't have the funds, given the money we'll get from Iwobi and a couple of others we might be able to stretch to afford him.
I think the $40 mil in Iwobi sales will go to another CB in Jan! Sokratis and Luiz have two years left at most. We need another to add to our young core of Holding and Saliba

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Martinelli will play up front , with Nelson and Willock , it's whats behind them that worries me .