Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Bradywasking »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm
Midz wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:55 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:36 pm
As per TMW - Lucas Torreira is unhappy with this time at Arsenal. Talks with Arsenal scheduled next week to discuss about what his role in the project actually is. Player could leave come January.
Pretty sure he didn't come here to be sat on the bench each week.

This is a very odd situation. Torreira looked like the sort of centre mid we’d been missing for years, for the first half of last season. Then he gets consistently benched and looks off the boil when he plays.

I’d like to know what’s really gone on here. Seems to typify the mismanagement and dysfunction at the Club and I can’t blame him if he wants out. Imagine sitting on the bench and watching Xhaka play in your position every week. Pretty soul destroying.
I get the feeling that Torriera on the bench is a personal thing rather than a football one with Emery...I have no proof of that to be honest, but I hope Emery is not stupid enough to Xhaka better than Torriera.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm
Midz wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:55 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:36 pm
As per TMW - Lucas Torreira is unhappy with this time at Arsenal. Talks with Arsenal scheduled next week to discuss about what his role in the project actually is. Player could leave come January.
Pretty sure he didn't come here to be sat on the bench each week.

This is a very odd situation. Torreira looked like the sort of centre mid we’d been missing for years, for the first half of last season. Then he gets consistently benched and looks off the boil when he plays.

I’d like to know what’s really gone on here. Seems to typify the mismanagement and dysfunction at the Club and I can’t blame him if he wants out. Imagine sitting on the bench and watching Xhaka play in your position every week. Pretty soul destroying.
I think this is just another example of Dick mishandling team selection and formation. Torreira was picked up from the WC having played effectively in a defensive midfield role for his country. It's been reported that Dick wanted Nzonzi as our DM but was overruled by the brass on fee / age grounds. Dick didn't hang about at PSG when the Neymar show started up, as a result he probably views Ozil as an overpaid prima donna too and not getting his preferred choice of DM has probably resulted in the Torreira situation.

When Torreira started playing for us he did adopt a more DM style role and he appeared to be effective as he was the only fu.cker taking any defensive responsibility. But with time we have seen him charging about all over the park which I can only think is on Dick's instruction. He very rarely sits at the base of the midfield. Needless to say when he does play he is the only midfielder genuinely trying to get back to cover when required but he is often overcommited too far up the pitch which has to be down to Dick's 4 - 3 philosophy.

I must admit that I am not sold on Torreira as our DM but if he's the best we've got then Dick should be playing him in that role and giving the guy a chance to show what he can do and obviously the team might just benefit as well.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

It’s very strange. Like BWK, I’ve been inclined to suspect that something personal is at play. Anyone who honestly thinks that Xhaka is a better footballer than Torreira, in any position, ought to be in an asylum. That performance at home to the scum last season was the best midfield display we’ve seen since Cesc left. Wasn’t too long after that he was on the bench.

Another decision by Dick that baffles every Arsenal supporter you speak to.

:|

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

just a thought..

is it just a coincidence that Wenger is making it known that he is available again at the moment ?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am
just a thought..

is it just a coincidence that Wenger is making it known that he is available again at the moment ?
Don’t !

Just don’t !!!!

Just fucking don’t !!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

:lol: :wink:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am
just a thought..

The scary thing is that it might happen

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I'm confident Raul & Co wouldn't go back to Wenger. They would realise that their credibility would be dead in the water, the potential backlash from a majority of the fanbase would risk the business model and, quite frankly, the club would look like a laughing stock.

However, if they are thick as pig shit and bring Wenger back then we will NEVER get rid of him.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Unai Emery: 'We are drawing the last matches, we can see those matches negatively because we didn't win or positively because we didn't lose.'

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm
Unai Emery: 'We are drawing the last matches, we can see those matches negatively because we didn't win or positively because we didn't lose.'
Translation: "Gooble-dee-fooble-dee blop blop".

Christ. :suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm
Translation: "Gooble-dee-fooble-dee blop blop".

Christ. :suicide:
Actually I think Wenger is back. It certainly sounds like the kind of horseshit he became famous for. :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Funny how there didn't seem to be any comments about his poor grasp of the language when we went 22 games unbeaten but it seems to be an issue now......even though his grasp of the language is actually better now than a year ago

I remember that bloke Pochettino who was the world's greatest manager and led the Scum to the CL final barely giving an interview in English for about 4 years and having an interpreter next to him every time.

Midz

Post by Midz »

The smart man sees Allegri is out there at the moment and goes all out to get him.
Unfortunately there's no smart men in the upper ranks of AFC.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:35 pm
Funny how there didn't seem to be any comments about his poor grasp of the language when we went 22 games unbeaten but it seems to be an issue now......even though his grasp of the language is actually better now than a year ago

I remember that bloke Pochettino who was the world's greatest manager and led the Scum to the CL final barely giving an interview in English for about 4 years and having an interpreter next to him every time.

This is a serious issue for me cos it has really pissed me off too - there are so many things emery is doing wrong and more than enough to justify replacing him imo, but this shit about slating his pronounciation of English words is childish and frankly pathetic. It is the same retarded crap that comes from the mouths of those stupid xenophobic c.unts that write in the red top newspapers, and it annoys me cos it is distracting from focusing on the really important issues like his tactics and team selections

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Didn’t Dick himself come out and say that he was trying to make Torreira a box to box midfielder? Crazy as Torreira is a good DM and needs a run of games. Our only other DM (don’t laugh) is Xhaka. Which proves that Dick is mad!!
Dick is destroying Torreira and I just don’t understand it.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Next to Torreira our next best DM is David Luiz, then Chambers, maybe willock then Xhaka.

I'm a bit mixed with torreira. I can see his qualities as a DM and I can also see why he doesn't get started. He goes over way too easily and whilst rolling around is left totally out of position. Kante, Henderson and fernandinho don't do that. He's also rash with the challenge as are all Arsenal defenders. Essetially to get the best out of torreira he needs to play in front of a back 3.

It seems peculiar to me that after scoring two fantastic free kicks to win the game coming on from the bench, Pepe then gets dropped back to the bench. The guy must be totally bemused by that one.

I still don't see how emery is going to turn it around. I don' t believe he's cut out for the premier league, european football absolutely he can deliver better results. A win at leicester will give him some extra time but will Auba, Ozil, lacazette deliver for him? I hope they remember who they are representing and playing for.