G'day Freddie. Manager of The Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clummo123

Re: G'day Freddie. Manager of The Arsenal

Post by clummo123 »

Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm
clummo123 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm
For Christ's sake stop all the kneejerking. Freddie is in place to hold the fort. Can't believe how many think he can turn us into the Invincibles after 48 hours. I for one didn't expect much more than we got yesterday. One plus was we seemed to play at a higher tempo.
eh? :lol: Not sure anyone is thinking that mate. Nobody as far as I can see is expecting any quick fix from Freddie. But the team he picked yesterday would have lost us the game if it wasn’t for Leno. I think it is unfair to call it knee-jerking if we complain about that line up because we've seen, over a long period of time, how much of a liability a lot of those players are when they play.

Totally agree with you about the higher tempo thing though, even though it was only noticeable in the 1st half. We are a much better side when we play faster and it is a lot better to watch so I hope that is one thing Freddie will ensure we do more of.
I was referring to the "Freddie out" etc comments. Apparently Bellerin and Tierney both have slight knocks and Papa has been as bad as Mustafi so far this season, if not worse at times! Not too many options left in defence there. I wasn't happy with it when I saw it but I accept that I don't know all the facts behind a team selection.

Clash

Post by Clash »

clummo123 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm
Clash wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm
clummo123 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm
For Christ's sake stop all the kneejerking. Freddie is in place to hold the fort. Can't believe how many think he can turn us into the Invincibles after 48 hours. I for one didn't expect much more than we got yesterday. One plus was we seemed to play at a higher tempo.
eh? :lol: Not sure anyone is thinking that mate. Nobody as far as I can see is expecting any quick fix from Freddie. But the team he picked yesterday would have lost us the game if it wasn’t for Leno. I think it is unfair to call it knee-jerking if we complain about that line up because we've seen, over a long period of time, how much of a liability a lot of those players are when they play.

Totally agree with you about the higher tempo thing though, even though it was only noticeable in the 1st half. We are a much better side when we play faster and it is a lot better to watch so I hope that is one thing Freddie will ensure we do more of.
I was referring to the "Freddie out" etc comments. Apparently Bellerin and Tierney both have slight knocks and Papa has been as bad as Mustafi so far this season, if not worse at times! Not too many options left in defence there. I wasn't happy with it when I saw it but I accept that I don't know all the facts behind a team selection.
Must admit I said to my dad the other day that Sokratis was as bad as Mustafi so I cant disagree with you on that. Not sure of the injury situation myself either but Torreira was fit so it will be frustrating if Freddie is another manager who regularly favours Xhaka over him.

And its a real pity that Rob Holding, maybe the only half decent natural defender we have, suffered that bad injury last year and is struggling this season.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

At 0-0 we were visibly pressing higher and faster, which was great to see. It just sets the tone for the entire performance, and winning the ball back in dangerous areas from time to time will make us far more threatening going forward.

We wilted when they scored and never really recovered. Don’t blame Ljungberg for that, at all - it’s long ingrained.

But that line-up? Fucking suicidal. Xhaka, Mustafi and Kolasinac all have to get dropped as a minimum.

augie

Post by augie »

Listen to our dear captain speaking people -

Skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang said: “Freddie can give us something special.
“Everybody is respectful of him. He played for Arsenal so he knows how we feel as players and it’s interesting to have him in charge.
“His career speaks for itself and if I’m not wrong he was part of the Invincibles.
“We will try to follow him and give the best for him. He has this club in his heart and we will see this week what is going to happen.
“Unai Emery was sacked, now we have Freddie and we’re all focussed on getting back to winning games, which is the most important thing.”

Everybody is respectful to Freddie ,,,,,,,,, shouldn't that be an automatic ??

I understand that as captain you probably have to say some words, but his words don't suggest ringing endorsement for the interim manager to me, and the dismissive comment on emery confirms the lack of respect the players had for him :roll:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... xed-emery/

augie

Post by augie »

For the last few months I mocked the Norwegian clown at manure for getting ferguscum to come in and give a team talk to his players, and how he wouldn't park in the managers spot in their car park out of respect for his old manager (what the absolute fcuk :roll: :oops: :oops: ), and lo and behold we now have freddie starting to go down that same embarrassing path

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... head-coach

Asking for advice from a manager that the game left behind years ago is ridiculous, and it smacks of a guy with no authority or confidence in himself :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm
For the last few months I mocked the Norwegian clown at manure for getting ferguscum to come in and give a team talk to his players, and how he wouldn't park in the managers spot in their car park out of respect for his old manager (what the absolute fcuk :roll: :oops: :oops: ), and lo and behold we now have freddie starting to go down that same embarrassing path

Asking for advice from a manager that the game left behind years ago is ridiculous, and it smacks of a guy with no authority or confidence in himself :roll:
Hmmm.... augie I can't find anywhere in that article where Freddie says he wants to ask Wenger for advice.... it's implied by the dizzy cùnt that wrote it but there is no quote of Freddie actually saying he wants advice from Wenger.

Don't get me wrong I want Freddie out now (hoping I can then hang with sid and the cool kids :wink: ) but I think SlySports are acting the bollocks there tbh.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Hey Augie, do what I do, just post the link and say nothing, it drives DB nuts. :lol: 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:28 pm
Hey Augie, do what I do, just post the link and say nothing, it drives DB nuts. :lol: 8)
:lol:

To push the ban button.... or not..... :rubchin:

:wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:17 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Hmmm.... augie I can't find anywhere in that article where Freddie says he wants to ask Wenger for advice.... it's implied by the dizzy cùnt that wrote it but there is no quote of Freddie actually saying he wants advice from Wenger.

Don't get me wrong I want Freddie out now (hoping I can then hang with sid and the cool kids :wink: ) but I think SlySports are acting the bollocks there tbh.

There's no doubt that the author was writing the piece from a wenker perspective but is able to quote Freddie at a press conference -

Ljungberg played under Wenger for eight of those years, winning two league titles himself, and said he would welcome Wenger's guidance, telling a press conference earlier in the day: "I really would like to speak to [Wenger]. I haven't spoken to him, it's been a bit hectic, but that's on my list."

The Swede says he is also planning on getting advice from compatriot Sven-Goran Eriksson.

There is enough there to make the statement so time to worry - get ready for a new formation the 2 man defence (including the keeper) :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Expecting Freddie to be his own man at our club with his lack of leadership experience and with strong characters above him is a bit of a stretch and the Wenger comment doesnt surprise me in the slightest.

He is massively out of his depth taking over a club in crisis with next to no real time experience as a head coach. UE would have taken the majority of the back room staff when he went and I dont expect the club hierarchy to help Freddie out whilst they are navel gazing whilst making out they are searching for the perfect replacement.

Freddie made some really bad calls with the team selection at the weekend but if we're honest if he'd gone with a young dynamic line up and they'd gotten beat we'd be crucifying him for that too.

Freddie as I said above is so far out his depth it ridiculous but yet again the hierarchy are being incredibly clever and cynical with his appointment, if it goes wrong it's Freddies fault, if it goes ok they have time to not have to pay for a proper coach, and if it goes well they can save money until next summer at least. It also takes the pressure off them once more, let's be honest there is hardly a universal outcry from fans that the problem needs sorting urgently, we are back to the old 'let's give him a few games' mindset.

I truly feel sorry Freddie he is in an unenviable and precarious situation not of his own making and some are expecting miracles from a bloke who has been thrust into the worst possible position by the *word censored* at the top to cover their own arses. :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

He is out of his depth. It is a huge job. He’s got no hope of succeeding.

On the other hand, don’t pick Xhaka. Don’t pick Mustafi. Don’t pick Kolasinac. Don’t wait 80 minutes to make an attacking sub when we are playing turd against the worst side in the league.

Nobody is expecting miracles, but somewhere between self-harm and unbridled success isn’t unreasonable to expect.

Clash

Post by Clash »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

On the other hand, don’t pick Xhaka. Don’t pick Mustafi. Don’t pick Kolasinac. Don’t wait 80 minutes to make an attacking sub when we are playing turd against the worst side in the league.

Nobody is expecting miracles, but somewhere between self-harm and unbridled success isn’t unreasonable to expect.
Well said NB123

And although I agree with Muzz that Freddie is out of his depth, I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him. Nobody forced him to take the job or is forcing him to stay. Nobody made him come back into football either. In fact the guy must have £millions and doesn’t have to work a single day ever again if he doesn’t want to. Same goes for millionaire Unai Emery and the rest. Fuck the lot of ‘em!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Clash wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Well said NB123

And although I agree with Muzz that Freddie is out of his depth, I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him. Nobody forced him to take the job or is forcing him to stay. Nobody made him come back into football either. In fact the guy must have £millions and doesn’t have to work a single day ever again if he doesn’t want to. Same goes for millionaire Unai Emery and the rest. Fuck the lot of ‘em!
I concur and concur lads 8) If he had shown some balls and dropped Xhaka and not started the other pair it would've got the fans onside from the off.Starting that fucking Swiss fanny just says to me that it's ok with freddie to play someone who told the fans to fuck off..and then not even show any remorse :evil: Mustafi is just plain shite ffs he's on the floor 90% of the time :oops: utter utter shite..Kolasanac :| fucking awful player,what must Tierney think sitting on the bench watching that tit fannying around.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:28 pm
Hey Augie, do what I do, just say nothing, it drives DB nuts. :lol: 8)

:shock:

:D

:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fuuuucccckk I've just seen our schedule up to and including January 1st:

5th Dec: Arsenal (20:15) Brighton & Hove Albion

9th Dec: West Ham United (20:00) Arsenal

15th Dec: Arsenal(16:30) Manchester City

21st Dec: Everton (12:30) Arsenal

26th Dec: AFC Bournemouth (15:00)Arsenal