Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

falkirk goon

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by falkirk goon »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:48 pm
Mikel Arteta reveals he wanted to bring Granit Xhaka to Man City in 2016 but Arsenal won the race... now new Gunners boss wants to help the midfielder return to favour with fans

"When I was going from Arsenal to City to start coaching and we were looking in that position, he was one of the players on my list,
This is how much I liked him. I was happy when Arsenal signed him because I thought he was going to be a terrific player.
He has done some really good things and now he has got stuck in a very difficult situation that, I think, was growing and growing and growing and one day it exploded.
But I have been amazed by how this relationship is starting to come back a little bit and I think the fans have been very very positive about him.
I told him how much I like him and what I expect from him, how important he is for the team. I am here to help him, I want him to feel we're right behind him - not just myself but the whole club.'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -2016.html

Me not likey.
Oh dear el beige one..if this be true el beige can get fucked even at this early stage..if he starts this piece of shite at Bournemouth it's el beige out from me..reason..el beige must think it's okay to tell the fans to fuck off and even worse have not a single bit of remorse about it.Team news for me will be very telling today.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I’m with you Falkirk. If Tets does really rate Xhaka then he is going to fail miserably. He may have just ended his Arsenal career as it started!! :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

All those wise words and insight at the press conference, cannot fail surely?

Xaha is shit end off......
Last edited by Redarmy on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Midz

Post by Midz »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Mikel Arteta reveals he wanted to bring Granit Xhaka to Man City in 2016 but Arsenal won the race... now new Gunners boss wants to help the midfielder return to favour with fans

"When I was going from Arsenal to City to start coaching and we were looking in that position, he was one of the players on my list,
This is how much I liked him. I was happy when Arsenal signed him because I thought he was going to be a terrific player.
He has done some really good things and now he has got stuck in a very difficult situation that, I think, was growing and growing and growing and one day it exploded.
But I have been amazed by how this relationship is starting to come back a little bit and I think the fans have been very very positive about him.
I told him how much I like him and what I expect from him, how important he is for the team. I am here to help him, I want him to feel we're right behind him - not just myself but the whole club.'"

Me not likey.
Just read that and wondered wtf it is that these 'profesionals' see in this player that we don't.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I said to someone last week, what he does with Xhaka will define him from the off. What is every managers obsession with Xhaka?? It's like they are all trying to prove that they can get the player out of the man. Here's a newsflash....That player is NOT there, he has NEVER been there.

And if he wanted to "bring Xhaka to Man City" why didn't he?? Pep, or somebody who can spot talent, probably killed the idea stone dead...……………...
"I tell you what Mikel, if you like him so much, you go to him, you 'aint bringing him here".

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The Arsenal Way wrote:

Me not likey.
:(

I mean W.T.F!?

I knew it I just knew..Don't get your hopes up I thought to myself...I hear what he's been saying in interviews etc - ALL Very Positive and Promising..then THIS! :cussing:

:cry:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:47 am
I said to someone last week, what he does with Xhaka will define him from the off. What is every managers obsession with Xhaka?? It's like they are all trying to prove that they can get the player out of the man. Here's a newsflash....That player is NOT there, he has NEVER been there.

And if he wanted to "bring Xhaka to Man City" why didn't he?? Pep, or somebody who can spot talent, probably killed the idea stone dead...……………...
"I tell you what Mikel, if you like him so much, you go to him, you 'aint bringing him here".
Hes not a coach now...hes the manager whole new ball game

If he cant sort out Xaha and Ozil he wont last too long, they will bring him down just like the shit weak Emery before him

Looks like we will just repeat all same weekly misery until someone has the balls to sort this lot out

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:38 am
The Arsenal Way wrote:

Me not likey.
:(

I mean W.T.F!?

I knew it I just knew..Don't get your hopes up I thought to myself...I hear what he's been saying in interviews etc - ALL Very Positive and Promising..then THIS! :cussing:

:cry:

Unbelievable isn't it. I was just beginning to come round to the idea of Arteta injecting a bit of hope into the club and then we get this crap. WTF.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 am
xisstential wrote:

If he cant sort out Xaha and Ozil he wont last too long, they will bring him down just like the shit weak Emery before him

Looks like we will just repeat all same weekly misery until someone has the balls to sort this lot out
I don't think he will sort them out. Ozil seems to be going through the motions and would probably need absolutely world class players around him, coupled with a very, very strong defensive midfielder to maybe.....maybe, show some class.
Xhaka is just not good enough, nobody is getting anything out of him because it just isn't there.....
Arteta needs to realise very quickly that he does not have time to "experiment"

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Let’s hope it’s some psycho babble bullshit to try to raise his game. :lol:
The thing is, we all have opinions but generally speaking I think when we, the fan base have an opinion on something with the club, it’s normally correct as we KNOW! We do know a bit about football and we sure as hell know a bit about our club. We weren’t wrong about Wenger and we’re not wrong about Xhaka and Ozil. They should NOT be playing for our club!!!

Blim

Post by Blim »

Granit Xhaka looks set to stay at Arsenal after new boss Mikel Arteta revealed he is a fan of the midfielder.
FFS it looks like we will never get rid of this liability. :x

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Let’s hope it’s some psycho babble bullshit to try to raise his game. :lol:
The thing is, we all have opinions but generally speaking I think when we, the fan base have an opinion on something with the club, it’s normally correct as we KNOW! We do know a bit about football and we sure as hell know a bit about our club. We weren’t wrong about Wenger and we’re not wrong about Xhaka and Ozil. They should NOT be playing for our club!!!

Thing with the xhaka situation is that it isn't just us that knows ……… every single pundit in the country has called out xhaka for being shit. Granted it took them a long time to catch up with us, but they all now highlight on tv how many cheap free kicks, looses passes, and his all round lack of effort is some match situations, so how can xhaka still rate the guy ?? :( :(
I pray to god that this is just a ploy to raise his market value (I want to keep him so if you want him you'll have to pay more ?), but I really cant see that being the case. I believe that he does rate the guy, and like I said a few weeks ago, choosing c.unts like ozil and xhaka for his team will give arteta very little wiggle room with the fans, cos he is making decisions that defy logic so wont be entitled to request patience or understanding

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:33 am
Redarmy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:50 am
xisstential wrote:

I don't think he will sort them out. Ozil seems to be going through the motions and would probably need absolutely world class players around him, coupled with a very, very strong defensive midfielder to maybe.....maybe, show some class.
Xhaka is just not good enough, nobody is getting anything out of him because it just isn't there.....
Arteta needs to realise very quickly that he does not have time to "experiment"
Playing devils advocate here i am afraid...no neither do i in all honesty....live in hope :D

augie

Post by augie »

Ozil starting and xhaka starting - already looking forward to another managerial change :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Can I start the Arteta Out thread now please?