OZIL - Merged Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: OZIL - Merged Thread

Post by TeeCee »

Just to add been to Turkey...great place people very friendly and welcoming...
Especially Erdogan! :shock: :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:05 pm
Just to add been to Turkey...great place people very friendly and welcoming...
Especially Erdogan! :shock: :banghead:
Not sure what one politican has to do with it, even if he is best mates with Ozil..loads of wankers over here not saying we are all like it :D

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I was joking to be honest....

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Adidas are bringing out some limited edition gear to celebrate Chinese New Year and guess who’s modelling the Arsenal stuff?

Don’t think that’s gonna make it on many billboards now :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:10 pm
Adidas are bringing out some limited edition gear to celebrate Chinese New Year and guess who’s modelling the Arsenal stuff?

Don’t think that’s gonna make it on many billboards now :lol:

ARE.YOU.SERIOUS ??? :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

You better believe it baby, you know Big Poppa Roddaz is the go to guy for all things Adidas on here :lol:

You couldn’t make this shit up.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

bunch

Post by bunch »

Well, it is Year of the Rat in the new lunar year.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:34 pm
You better believe it baby, you know Big Poppa Roddaz is the go to guy for all things Adidas on here :lol:

You couldn’t make this shit up.
That's actually a very nice looking jacket.

Herd

Post by Herd »

For as many people who will boycott Arsenal in China theres many more that will support them just because of Ozil. It would be seen as bad boy rebel chic so Adidas will win out.
But if they piss off the government too much they could get shut down in China altogether including manufacturing.
Anyway fuck him I hope we purge ourselves of him and all the other c untos in the club.

augie

Post by augie »

Today we are seeing a lot of quotes from arteta saying how hard ozil is working, and how the team needs to play to his strengths more, but is he too old to be the guy you build a team around (as arteta seems to be suggesting) ? I thought that he was outstanding for the first half last sunday, and I would be well pleased if he turned in that level of performance every week (albeit for more than 45 mins), but at the same time I would be shocked if that happened. Ability and quality has never been ozil's issue but his temperament, motivation and application are and will continue to be a problem - honestly I have my doubts that ozil can turn in back to back quality performances much less 5 months of consistant quality performances.
If what arteta is talking about is putting a system in place that we are going to use from now on, and just using ozil's name now cos it is a system that will suit him, then I have no problem with that. I think Ceballos and smith-rowe are 2 players that would be well suited for that role, and for me putting a system in place to get the most out of young players like smith-rowe, makes more sense than building a system around a past his best ozil

Clummo2019

Post by Clummo2019 »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am
Today we are seeing a lot of quotes from arteta saying how hard ozil is working, and how the team needs to play to his strengths more, but is he too old to be the guy you build a team around (as arteta seems to be suggesting) ? I thought that he was outstanding for the first half last sunday, and I would be well pleased if he turned in that level of performance every week (albeit for more than 45 mins), but at the same time I would be shocked if that happened. Ability and quality has never been ozil's issue but his temperament, motivation and application are and will continue to be a problem - honestly I have my doubts that ozil can turn in back to back quality performances much less 5 months of consistant quality performances.
If what arteta is talking about is putting a system in place that we are going to use from now on, and just using ozil's name now cos it is a system that will suit him, then I have no problem with that. I think Ceballos and smith-rowe are 2 players that would be well suited for that role, and for me putting a system in place to get the most out of young players like smith-rowe, makes more sense than building a system around a past his best ozil
I get your point but we need things to happen now! The pragmatic view maybe is to build around experience this season and not around a 19 or a 22 year old.

Smith-Rowe or Ceballos next season I'd say (if the latter is still with us of course.)

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I think he has no real choice to try to build something around Ozil until the end of the season, ESR needs more game time and right now we are in a predicament where playing him with that sort of responsibility on his shoulders could do more harm than good. Prudence would be to get the absolute most out of Ozil, whatever that might be, whilst easing ESR in to more matches, Ceballos is a risky bet to replace Ozil only because he might not be with us next season. I know Ozil is a knob but if we can get a good 60-70 mins out of him (I know its asking a lot) in at least 50% of games it'll be a miracle.

Despite my dislike of Ozil he is still our most creative player when he can be bothered and Arteta must try to get the most out of him until the end of the season even if it means pandering to him. I hate the idea but I just dont think there is anyone currently who is ready to replace him and with the amount of injuries and makeshift players we've currently got in various positions can we really afford not to play Ozil :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ozil is at that stage where he doesn't have 90 minutes in him physically or mentally anymore. He was the best player on the pitch in both first halves against the chav and the manc filth but was almost totally anonymous in the 2nd half against the chav and while not as bad against the filth in the 2nd half you could see he was drifting out of the game.

I agree we should try and get as much out of him as we can this season as neither Smith-Rowe or Ceballos are anywhere near ready to step into that role yet. And tbh I don't think Ceballos is good enough to ever fill that role permanently. I'd ease Smith-Rowe into it as a 60 or 70 minute sub for Ozil all this season and see how he develops.