VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 pm
herbert wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:18 pm
Fuk Var i have had enough of it

Whether we are up or down on points with var is irrelavent because holding your emotions for 1 or 2 or 5 minutes after a goal is scored has ruined the most important part of watching a football game

GET RID
Unfortunately Herbert that's never going to happen, the muppets at FIFA and UEFA have mandated its implementation and the FA dont have the balls to stand against them. Couple that with the fact that TV audiences love a bit of controversy and the Channels will be loving it too, therefor the EPL wont want to jeopardise the incoming readies, neither will the clubs turn their noses up at the revenue provided.

All us old fans need to get our heads around the SPORT we used to love and follow religiously has now become entertainment, stadiums have become Venues and Supporters have become fans all in the name of Revenue....... tragic isnt it :o

Football isnt about freezing cold December nights in the rain with your mates, eating shitty mince pies and drinking God awful tea watching the Arsenal grind out a 1-0 against the usual northern monkeys at Highbury any more it's all about the experience these days, and the controversy of VAR adds to the experience, from their point of view the anticipation of the decision heightens the feeling and you'll celebrate or commiserate all the harder when it is announced :banghead:
Yeah a goal being awarded/disallowed is like one of those TV Shows like "Dancing on Ice" or whatever ? Who is safe and who is eliminated? You'll find out after the break.
Imagine the day, and I'm only half joking here, when the wait for VAR to decide is used for a quick Advert break. "Will the goal stand or not, you will find out after this quick message from our sponsors"
It is TV and TV demands drama, this is a result of allowing TV control the game, TV have given us Wembley finals for finishing outside the top two in your league so don't think the TV companies care about the integrity of the game..
That's absolutely what will happen. I posted a sarcastic and exaggerated prediction like that several weeks back where Simon Cowell is involved and Ant n Dec are on the pitch waiting for the verdict :roll: There is something inevitable about what you say though as the line between sport and entertainment becomes more blurred every season.

Oh and I notice LiVARpool finally had a goal chalked off by VAR yesterday for a foul on the keeper ... so what do the the likes of Souness and Carragher do? Make out it was an injustice! Maybe just to try and distract the masses from the fact that Liverpool have benefited so much from it?! In an ideal world maybe it should have stood but by today's admittedly mollycoddled standards - the standards everyone else is held to - it was a clear foul :roll:

Just like Pepe's penalty claim. I would have no problem if that sort of thing typically wasnt given as players these days do look for contact and go down too easily. But by today's standards - the standards everyone else is held to - it is a stonewall penalty :banghead:

P.S. Great post above Rodders

Herd

Post by Herd »

The whole point of VAR was supposed to use TV to correctly and actually make calls to avoid mistakes .
Instead it is being used to justify the unjustifiable and to compound the mistakes of referees not correct them .
VAR should call what's right not what might save the Referees blushes but that's how its being used .
Unfortunately the Media have been quick to buckle under pressure from the FA and now seem to accept the " clear and obvious error" maxim for incompetence .
For me there is only 1 decision ,what is correct ,if TV can establish which is correct then that's what the call should be regardless of the referee !

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:26 am
Bradywasking wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
herbert wrote:

Whether we are up or down on points with var is irrelavent because holding your emotions for 1 or 2 or 5 minutes after a goal is scored has ruined the most important part of watching a football game

GET RID
Unfortunately Herbert that's never going to happen, the muppets at FIFA and UEFA have mandated its implementation and the FA dont have the balls to stand against them. Couple that with the fact that TV audiences love a bit of controversy and the Channels will be loving it too, therefor the EPL wont want to jeopardise the incoming readies, neither will the clubs turn their noses up at the revenue provided.

All us old fans need to get our heads around the SPORT we used to love and follow religiously has now become entertainment, stadiums have become Venues and Supporters have become fans all in the name of Revenue....... tragic isnt it :o

Football isnt about freezing cold December nights in the rain with your mates, eating shitty mince pies and drinking God awful tea watching the Arsenal grind out a 1-0 against the usual northern monkeys at Highbury any more it's all about the experience these days, and the controversy of VAR adds to the experience, from their point of view the anticipation of the decision heightens the feeling and you'll celebrate or commiserate all the harder when it is announced :banghead:
Yeah a goal being awarded/disallowed is like one of those TV Shows like "Dancing on Ice" or whatever ? Who is safe and who is eliminated? You'll find out after the break.
Imagine the day, and I'm only half joking here, when the wait for VAR to decide is used for a quick Advert break. "Will the goal stand or not, you will find out after this quick message from our sponsors"
It is TV and TV demands drama, this is a result of allowing TV control the game, TV have given us Wembley finals for finishing outside the top two in your league so don't think the TV companies care about the integrity of the game..
That's absolutely what will happen. I posted a sarcastic and exaggerated prediction like that several weeks back where Simon Cowell is involved and Ant n Dec are on the pitch waiting for the verdict :roll: There is something inevitable about what you say though as the line between sport and entertainment becomes more blurred every season.

Oh and I notice LiVARpool finally had a goal chalked off by VAR yesterday for a foul on the keeper ... so what do the the likes of Souness and Carragher do? Make out it was an injustice! Maybe just to try and distract the masses from the fact that Liverpool have benefited so much from it?! In an ideal world maybe it should have stood but by today's admittedly mollycoddled standards - the standards everyone else is held to - it was a clear foul :roll:

Just like Pepe's penalty claim. I would have no problem if that sort of thing typically wasnt given as players these days do look for contact and go down too easily. But by today's standards - the standards everyone else is held to - it is a stonewall penalty :banghead:

Hell, we’re not that far away from having a live vote as to if it’s a penalty or not.
Vote now on the red button for a sending off !

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm
Clash wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
herbert wrote:

GET RID

Hell, we’re not that far away from having a live vote as to if it’s a penalty or not.
Christ don't let Sky read that Stuart, ffs it could get that bad :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 pm
StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Nah it will be calls cost £2 plus your network charges ,they will make a fortune ,itscoming soon!

Herd

Post by Herd »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Nah it will be calls cost £2 plus your network charges ,they will make a fortune ,itscoming soon!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Herd wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

Obviously votes for the victims will count double.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:15 pm
Herd wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:

Obviously votes for the victims will count double.
All proceeds going towards buying more tins of whitewash so they can keep trying to cover up any mention of their murdering of 39 innocent Juventus supporters.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Great work by VAR again last night. If the thing had an accent it'd be a scouse accent ffs. :roll: :censored:

OneBardGooner

Re: VA(r)DGE

Post by OneBardGooner »

"Great work by VAR again last night. If the thing had an accent it'd be a scouse accent ffs" And it would talk (aka: whine) out the side of its gob.

Ergo; I think it is time to re-name it VA(r)DGE :D

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

Another pathetic, petty, infuriating VAR decision last night in the Wolves v Leicester game, with the Wolves corner taker having a big toe offside on a ball played back to him quickly from a short corner. Crowd were booing loudly for ages. Finished a bore 0-0 draw.

The cynical fouling is out of control but they denying goals on trivial marginal offside decisions.

The game is turning to shit, with less and less goals, constant free kicks and cynical play going unpunished.

A simple thing to make the game more attacking and stop so many fouls would be to eliminate offside applying to free kicks, the same as offside doesnt apply from throw-ins.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Wengerballs wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:52 am
Another pathetic, petty, infuriating VAR decision last night in the Wolves v Leicester game, with the Wolves corner taker having a big toe offside on a ball played back to him quickly from a short corner. Crowd were booing loudly for ages. Finished a bore 0-0 draw.

The cynical fouling is out of control but they denying goals on trivial marginal offside decisions.

The game is turning to shit, with less and less goals, constant free kicks and cynical play going unpunished.

A simple thing to make the game more attacking and stop so many fouls would be to eliminate offside applying to free kicks, the same as offside doesnt apply from throw-ins.
Tried to make out what the Wolves fans were singing, it sounded like "this ain't football anymore"..

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Mike Dean couldn't explain to Conor Coady who was allegedly offside .

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Good result v barcodes and some encouraging performances but the best thing was no interventions by VAR. Bit like watching football in the good old days!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:56 pm
Good result v barcodes and some encouraging performances but the best thing was no interventions by VAR. Bit like watching football in the good old days!
8) 8)

Yep noticeable by its absence. Still everytime we scored I held my breath to see would it be ruined by VAR. :roll: