The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

The Arsenal Way

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by The Arsenal Way »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:47 pm
Well its half past 11 and the sky hasn't fallen so we may just be alright :wink:

Not particularly jubilant or satisfied just kind of relieved, it now remains to be seen not only whether the UK can prosper but whether any other countries follow suit if things dont go tits up.

I've always maintained the damn organisation should have just remained a trading block and nothing else but as with all organisations as they grow 'mission creep' comes in, power begets power, and bureaucracy gets out of control and stops listening, there are some very good parts of the EU and some utterly attrocious ones but ultimately its singular inability to listen and adapt to change from within its own member states could ultimately be its downfall, again only time will tell.

Populism as it is called these days seems to be something that the EU wants to ignore and hope it goes away but you only have to look at Macron's problems with the former Yellow and now Orange Jackets (for those who dont know yellow ones have actually been banned :roll: ) may be a sign of things to come.

By the way if you havent seen it look up the recent clash between the French Police and Firemen, absolutely shocking that two organisations who are supposed to work closely together in emergencies can act that way towards each other and the consequencies may be far reaching for France.
France is exactly what we shouldn't aspire to be. That's why we should be grateful that Corbyn didn't get anywhere near power. He wasn't a puppet for the unions, he was one of them. Could you imagine the unions who represent nationalised broadband threatening strike action every time the government sneezed? Railways even worse possibly.

Margaret Thatcher dealt with the unions here in the 80s, that has meant that largely as a country we haven't been held to ransom by people who start crying when their generous pension rights amongst other things start to get trimmed. Macron is trying to modernise the French economy, there is nothing wrong with that.

The economy grew at 1.2% last year, let's see how we fare in the coming years. That's a pretty low benchmark.

To be so reliant on a country like the US, who already are sniffing around the NHS and no doubt don't like our stance on Huawei building our 5g networks is a real issue. Don't forget we left the EU because we didn't like them dictating to us on laws, immigration etc. A trade deal from the US won't see an influx of Americans coming here but boy will they dictate any trade agreements.

The US is also sitting on a debt timebomb, both corporate and consumer. Trump has helped fuel that with his tax cuts. It won't take much to burst that bubble, as we saw in 2008. When the shit hits the fan in the US, we all get covered.

What a load of poppycock.
Scaremongering and ill informed as usual.
Your poker face must be a friggin' clown mask.
:)

The Arsenal Way

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Well its half past 11 and the sky hasn't fallen so we may just be alright :wink:

Not particularly jubilant or satisfied just kind of relieved, it now remains to be seen not only whether the UK can prosper but whether any other countries follow suit if things dont go tits up.

I've always maintained the damn organisation should have just remained a trading block and nothing else but as with all organisations as they grow 'mission creep' comes in, power begets power, and bureaucracy gets out of control and stops listening, there are some very good parts of the EU and some utterly attrocious ones but ultimately its singular inability to listen and adapt to change from within its own member states could ultimately be its downfall, again only time will tell.

Populism as it is called these days seems to be something that the EU wants to ignore and hope it goes away but you only have to look at Macron's problems with the former Yellow and now Orange Jackets (for those who dont know yellow ones have actually been banned :roll: ) may be a sign of things to come.

By the way if you havent seen it look up the recent clash between the French Police and Firemen, absolutely shocking that two organisations who are supposed to work closely together in emergencies can act that way towards each other and the consequencies may be far reaching for France.

This. ^^^^^
And thanks for posting.
A11M11 is also as eloquent, and well informed.
Busted flush and Bobbie from Cambridge are remoaner dinosaurs

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:13 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

France is exactly what we shouldn't aspire to be. That's why we should be grateful that Corbyn didn't get anywhere near power. He wasn't a puppet for the unions, he was one of them. Could you imagine the unions who represent nationalised broadband threatening strike action every time the government sneezed? Railways even worse possibly.

Margaret Thatcher dealt with the unions here in the 80s, that has meant that largely as a country we haven't been held to ransom by people who start crying when their generous pension rights amongst other things start to get trimmed. Macron is trying to modernise the French economy, there is nothing wrong with that.

The economy grew at 1.2% last year, let's see how we fare in the coming years. That's a pretty low benchmark.

To be so reliant on a country like the US, who already are sniffing around the NHS and no doubt don't like our stance on Huawei building our 5g networks is a real issue. Don't forget we left the EU because we didn't like them dictating to us on laws, immigration etc. A trade deal from the US won't see an influx of Americans coming here but boy will they dictate any trade agreements.

The US is also sitting on a debt timebomb, both corporate and consumer. Trump has helped fuel that with his tax cuts. It won't take much to burst that bubble, as we saw in 2008. When the shit hits the fan in the US, we all get covered.

Was waiting for you to pop up. Everything in the post is a fact, how long did you take to read it 2 mins? Where is the scaremongering? All I've seen is abusive posts from you all through this thread, not well-informed opinions.

If you want to play poker with me I am game, started on an unregulated site based in the far east which given that oz doesn't allow online gambling means their players go onto sites like this. Always nice to skin a fishy with a big ego.

The Arsenal Way

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Was waiting for you to pop up. Everything in the post is a fact, how long did you take to read it 2 mins? Where is the scaremongering? All I've seen is abusive posts from you all through this thread, not well-informed opinions.

If you want to play poker with me I am game, started on an unregulated site based in the far east which given that oz doesn't allow online gambling means their players go onto sites like this. Always nice to skin a fishy with a big ego.
Oh look. FACT. Even I can type that word. Doesn't make it accurate though.
References to NHS and Huawei is the scaremongering, and you know it.
Reliant on the US too? Do your homewok ffs.
Economy growth and your predicitions, sorry, scaremongering that it will be lower ?????????
You probably weren't around at the time Arthur Scargill was? Shame. You might have learnt something if listening to him.

Now, your billy big bollix about your poker prowess?
You probably go all in with an Ace high?
I'm right aren't I?

Name a site and game and I will go heads up with you.
one off, best of, name your limits.
Probably won't get you to respect a Brexiteer when I win though

nut flush gooner

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:39 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Oh look. FACT. Even I can type that word. Doesn't make it accurate though.
References to NHS and Huawei is the scaremongering, and you know it.
Reliant on the US too? Do your homewok ffs.
Economy growth and your predicitions, sorry, scaremongering that it will be lower ?????????
You probably weren't around at the time Arthur Scargill was? Shame. You might have learnt something if listening to him.

Now, your billy big bollix about your poker prowess?
You probably go all in with an Ace high?
I'm right aren't I?

Name a site and game and I will go heads up with you.
one off, best of, name your limits.
Probably won't get you to respect a Brexiteer when I win though
How is a reference to the NHS scaremongering? Trump himself said the NHS was on the table until he was informed by his advisors what exactly the NHS was, he didn't even know! This was in a press conference last year. So you are honestly telling me that one of the most powerful sectors in the US that pay millions of pounds into the coffers of political parties, ie the pharmaceutical lobby won't have anything to say about the NHS in a trade deal with us?

With regards to Huawei read this from the US side, it's a complex issue entwined in the US vs China trade war. Again sure its scaremongering.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/29/uk-us-r ... ision.html

Where did I say economic growth would be lower than 1.2%? Clearly again your not reading the text.

With regards to the poker, let's see if you even get as far as setting up an account. The site is Upoker. When you are all set up I will look you up. Send me a PM with your alias. As I said if your current affairs knowledge is anything to go by your poker skills won't be a lot better. Purely by the few words youve uttered about the game, I know you're a raging whale.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Maybe but links from East to West are sadly neglected . Considering that Harwich , Felixstowe which handles 48% of our container imports and Tilbury ship onward to the rest of the country going across country is a nightmare and a main part of A14 and M25 congestion . A trip from Manchester to London will shorten by approx half an hour , Birmingham to London 20 minutes . However Felixstowe to Bristol on a lorry without hold ups is at best 5 hours and to say Nottingham about the same.
With the need to ship freight quickly perhaps the money for that infrastructure should have been spent going across country rather than up and down.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:55 pm
Maybe but links from East to West are sadly neglected . Considering that Harwich , Felixstowe which handles 48% of our container imports and Tilbury ship onward to the rest of the country going across country is a nightmare and a main part of A14 and M25 congestion . A trip from Manchester to London will shorten by approx half an hour , Birmingham to London 20 minutes . However Felixstowe to Bristol on a lorry without hold ups is at best 5 hours and to say Nottingham about the same.
With the need to ship freight quickly perhaps the money for that infrastructure should have been spent going across country rather than up and down.
You're missing the point, this isn't about shipping goods its about getting people around the country faster. And whilst the journey times may seem not much different between London, Birmingham and Manchester it frees up local train services which are diabolical in the north.

Just this alone creates economic prosperity. A quote from a study widely available online.

"With HS2, cities effectively become 'closer' to each other, which makes it easier for businesses (and people) to interact and coordinate activities across city boundaries. This opens up opportunities for closer integration, and trade, with the potential for each city to develop its own specialism. Greater trade and specialisation could offer the potential for additional benefits, beyond those captured within our economic appraisal, through increased productivity."

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Just pointing out that it's costing a fortune but as I said in my previous post we spend money like water and there appears to be little or no accountability . I believe that the money could have been spent more wisely but Boris , bless him , is stuck with it because if he rails back on it he will be accused of going back on his election promises . I do agree however that heads should roll in the department that accepted the estimate and that fines should be levied on those that have vastly overspent.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Just pointing out that it's costing a fortune but as I said in my previous post we spend money like water and there appears to be little or no accountability . I believe that the money could have been spent more wisely but Boris , bless him , is stuck with it because if he rails back on it he will be accused of going back on his election promises . I do agree however that heads should roll in the department that accepted the estimate and that fines should be levied on those that have vastly overspent.
Investing in infrastructure provides a return for the economy, in terms of jobs and economic growth. It's not immediate but over a period of time, there is a return on investment.

We've just been through a period of austerity and now the purse strings have been loosened people are still complaining. Can't win really.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Am I complaining or just pointing out that it’s a vast sum of money that could have been used more efficiently but probably less politically expedient.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Am I complaining or just pointing out that it’s a vast sum of money that could have been used more efficiently but probably less politically expedient.
Governments by definition have never been efficient, that's the difference between the public and private sector.

Herd

Post by Herd »

There is no reason for celebration ,we haven't left the EU ,I find it incredulous that the media the politicians (even labour an farage say that we have ) its a massive con .
All we have done is sign Theresa Mays treaty with a few piffling amendments to a precondition to negotiation and shoved it through parliament ,that isn't Brexit .
We don't have meps ,but we still pay for them ,otherwise no a lot has changed we still adhere to EU law and now the real negotiation to see what we can do.
At Present if they don't rip up the treaty we will have a Brexit in name only deal worse than being left in the EU,that isn't Brexit .
The Public are being lied to by the entire establishment and media as they now wish the thing to go away and get on with the real job of fucking us over even more.
The next few months will either see us capitulate on everything or crash out unprepared in 11 months ………………..or of course another extension .
The whole thing is a joke !

nut flush gooner

Herd you're being presumptive again. Come back at the end of the year when its clearer what exactly is going to happen.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:35 pm
There is no reason for celebration ,we haven't left the EU ,I find it incredulous that the media the politicians (even labour an farage say that we have ) its a massive con .
All we have done is sign Theresa Mays treaty with a few piffling amendments to a precondition to negotiation and shoved it through parliament ,that isn't Brexit .
We don't have meps ,but we still pay for them ,otherwise no a lot has changed we still adhere to EU law and now the real negotiation to see what we can do.
At Present if they don't rip up the treaty we will have a Brexit in name only deal worse than being left in the EU,that isn't Brexit .
The Public are being lied to by the entire establishment and media as they now wish the thing to go away and get on with the real job of fucking us over even more.
The next few months will either see us capitulate on everything or crash out unprepared in 11 months ………………..or of course another extension .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brexit "the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union"
I think you will find that this has happened.

well done for working out how crap the arrangement is though.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 am
Herd wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:35 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brexit "the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union"
I think you will find that this has happened.

well done for working out how crap the arrangement is though.
we are still in the eu until the end of the year except now we have no meps nothing else has changed yet