Olympiakos A Thu 20th Feb 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: Olympiakos A Thu 20th Feb 8pm

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

That'll do. Pretty poor game but that's good enough.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Take that away win and a clean sheet, really should have scored at least 2 more.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

It's all baby steps and there is a long way to go but two on the bounce and undefeated in 2020 is not to be sneared at, yes we are still making mistakes, yes the strikers especially Laca need to be more clinical and yes definitely we need to get more creative in midfield but, and it is a big but, we've definitely stopped conceding so many and we've in the main reduced opposition chances. So little by little things are improving.

I still don't think Arteta should have been appointed but i'm beginning to feel he at least deserves more time to improve things in his way and probably deserves this summer to at least try to create his vision on the team :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

As I’ve said on the last few match threads there isn’t a fucking ounce of creativity in that midfield. Either Saka provides an assist or the forwards do it all
themselves, the rest over nothing offensively.

Clean sheet and away goal, job done.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

Nah, there's been zero improvement has there. :lol: :roll:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Delighted with the win tonight, poor performance but could easily have scored 2 or 3 goals. Saka was quality and again gets an assist, should win comfortably at home. On a side-note, why do those BT *word censored* insist on having RVP on, could he not cover the Man United game earlier, turns my stomach seeing that prick talk about us.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
It's all baby steps and there is a long way to go but two on the bounce and undefeated in 2020 is not to be sneared at, yes we are still making mistakes, yes the strikers especially Laca need to be more clinical and yes definitely we need to get more creative in midfield but, and it is a big but, we've definitely stopped conceding so many and we've in the main reduced opposition chances. So little by little things are improving.

I still don't think Arteta should have been appointed but i'm beginning to feel he at least deserves more time to improve things in his way and probably deserves this summer to at least try to create his vision on the team :rubchin:
Agree we have definitely improved, still don't speak about it on here or the now "misery loves company three" will gang up on you with their keyboard ninja skills :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I have long said that this football club will go nowhere until we grow a backbone and learn how to defend properly. That is worth clinging onto when I am watching these turgid performances.

Despite his two-yard tap-in, Lacazette was awful and successive managers have somehow failed to realise that when he is in one of his confidence-deprived runs of form he wouldn’t make a parks team. Likewise Aubameyang is a borderline world class goalscorer but a dreadful winger. Play him up front for fucks sake.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Pleased with the win and away goal. The match wasn't that great to watch but job done.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

If you can't see the improvement in the team since Arteta has been appointed, get your fucking eyes checked.

That was not a great game to watch but the performance was there. Olympiacos has scored in every home game this season... until that one. They had only lost once there all season, to Bayern 3-2. That was a good result, and a clean sheet to boot.

Yes the player quality is lacking but Arteta is doing a hell of a job so far.

Cannon

Post by Cannon »

they were unbeaten in 18 and only bayern had won there all season. that really was a fantastic result.

5 clean sheets from 9, 3 clean sheets in a row, when did we ever think we could say that about arsenal football club? yes we've sacrificed some attacking flair for defensive stability but im personally willing to take that instead of being a global defensive laughing stock. notice how we've not seen many twitter memes and retweets about our defending lately. it f*cking feels good.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Awful performance TBF but the result that counts, although he scored the winner, Lacazette was awful, theres nothing there, he should be very thankful to Saka tonight, what is worrying is that Arteta made 2 correct subs but took off the easy options, he got away with it tonight but imagine Laca didnt get the winner.

Leno and Saka arguably the two best players which is why I'm struggling with all the talk about how the defense is more solid, they had 2 great chances in the first 5 mins & the leno went on to be one of the best players, a solid defense keeps the keeper quiet.

Great result but I'm not sure riding out luck is sustainable, big decisions need to be made sooner or later, Aubameyang is wasted out wide to accommodate Lacazette, Pepe & Ceballos our best players at the weekend, neither start because they are easy to rest, happy with the result but I'm worried, seems like a lot of forced positivity around at the moment.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 pm
Awful performance TBF but the result that counts, although he scored the winner, Lacazette was awful, theres nothing there, he should be very thankful to Saka tonight, what is worrying is that Arteta made 2 correct subs but took off the easy options, he got away with it tonight but imagine Laca didnt get the winner.

Leno and Saka arguably the two best players which is why I'm struggling with all the talk about how the defense is more solid, they had 2 great chances in the first 5 mins & the leno went on to be one of the best players, a solid defense keeps the keeper quiet.

Great result but I'm not sure riding out luck is sustainable, big decisions need to be made sooner or later, Aubameyang is wasted out wide to accommodate Lacazette, Pepe & Ceballos our best players at the weekend, neither start because they are easy to rest, happy with the result but I'm worried, seems like a lot of forced positivity around at the moment.
You say they had two great chances but the second was flagged offside yet the humpty tv commentators choose to ignore that fact, so in essence one chance away from home against a team with a fantastic home record.

You say pepe and ceballos were our best players at the weekend but saka was man of the match and played.

Ceballos was poor away from the Emirates in just about every game I saw him in and pepe reminds me of gervinho so can fully understand why they didn't play, apart from that you're spot on.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:36 pm
The keeper and defence are alright, the midfield is pathetic and the forwards are non existent.

Dire.
Sums it up - but Saka did OK, again, when they stopped giving it to the ageing Gangbang & gave him the ball. We need a right sided wing back that can go past his man on the outside & put in a decent final ball.
Celleboss was crap + slow/lazy when he came on. Wlllock still is not good enough for Arsenal. The 35 y/o little french bloke they had was better that any of our so called creative midfield players. Bring back Santi !!. Getting excited now at the prospect of Feo & Iwobbly on Sunday. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Ozil didn't travel for personal reasons ?