Olympiakos A Thu 20th Feb 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
HerbertChapman

Re: Olympiakos A Thu 20th Feb 8pm

Post by HerbertChapman »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 pm
Awful performance TBF but the result that counts, although he scored the winner, Lacazette was awful, theres nothing there, he should be very thankful to Saka tonight, what is worrying is that Arteta made 2 correct subs but took off the easy options, he got away with it tonight but imagine Laca didnt get the winner.

Leno and Saka arguably the two best players which is why I'm struggling with all the talk about how the defense is more solid, they had 2 great chances in the first 5 mins & the leno went on to be one of the best players, a solid defense keeps the keeper quiet.

Great result but I'm not sure riding out luck is sustainable, big decisions need to be made sooner or later, Aubameyang is wasted out wide to accommodate Lacazette, Pepe & Ceballos our best players at the weekend, neither start because they are easy to rest, happy with the result but I'm worried, seems like a lot of forced positivity around at the moment.
FFS man, read Cannon's post directly above yours! A good performance away in Europe, at a place that can be a bit of a bear pit and a team that are no pushovers at home. Even if Laca hadn't scored 0-0 wouldn't be the worse result but you still concentrate on negatives to speak about! I could pick your post to pieces if I could be arsed. No forced positivity here. I just watched with no negative, pessimistic agenda. "Riding our luck" Laughable! :lol:

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

Herd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 am
Ozil didn't travel for personal reasons ?
Wife is about to drop apparently

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 am
Ozil didn't travel for personal reasons ?
His bird is with sprog. If we were tottingham Lacazette would be the father. :lol:

markyp

Post by markyp »

Biggest win so far,another little building block,3 clean sheets on the spin,certainly heading in the right direction. Looking forward to summer when he can bring in some creativity we so lack in midfield, as for 'riding our luck' dont good teams make their own luck? nothing went for us earlier in the season so is it any surprise things are going for us now that weve turned a corner? So many people still wanting arteta to flop,its embarrasing

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 pm
I know Greek, Cypriot and Turkish crowds make a lot of noise, which you can’t help but notice as commentators feel compelled to keep pointing it out :roll:

But there can’t be many things that produce a more monotonous, tuneless sound than the atmospheres the crowds from that part of the world generate. It’s like listening to a fucking washing machine. Does my head in :banghead:
Bang on. It's not an atmosphere - it's fucking tedious. The Italians are similar. It's like their chants and songs have nothing to do with the ebb and flow of the game, just a perpetual boring droning noise. :roll: :censored:

As for the game...... pretty poor quality.... but let's be honest if GG was manager we'd all be hailing an effective smash and grab away from home with an away goal. :wink:

Whilst Ozil is a shadow of the assist and chance creating king he was, without him we are missing that intelligent nuanced link in midfield that can get the ball in behind or across the pitch quickly and more importantly accurately - unlike Xhakatard's 30 yard diagonal hit and hope attempts.

As much as shoring up the defence is vital, installing a youngish but experienced number 10 or creative attacking mid field creator to replace Ozil is also vital.

Game was poor but happy with the result.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
Awful performance TBF but the result that counts, although he scored the winner, Lacazette was awful, theres nothing there, he should be very thankful to Saka tonight, what is worrying is that Arteta made 2 correct subs but took off the easy options, he got away with it tonight but imagine Laca didnt get the winner.

Leno and Saka arguably the two best players which is why I'm struggling with all the talk about how the defense is more solid, they had 2 great chances in the first 5 mins & the leno went on to be one of the best players, a solid defense keeps the keeper quiet.

Great result but I'm not sure riding out luck is sustainable, big decisions need to be made sooner or later, Aubameyang is wasted out wide to accommodate Lacazette, Pepe & Ceballos our best players at the weekend, neither start because they are easy to rest, happy with the result but I'm worried, seems like a lot of forced positivity around at the moment.
FFS man, read Cannon's post directly above yours! A good performance away in Europe, at a place that can be a bit of a bear pit and a team that are no pushovers at home. Even if Laca hadn't scored 0-0 wouldn't be the worse result but you still concentrate on negatives to speak about! I could pick your post to pieces if I could be arsed. No forced positivity here. I just watched with no negative, pessimistic agenda. "Riding our luck" Laughable! :lol:
Please pick it apart, it would be good to expose yourself & show your a) clear & obvious agenda to see no faults & b) forced positivity merchant.

Emery had plenty of games where he scraped results & got slated because the performance wasnt liquid football so how is this different?

It was inspid & bland (not for the first time) thankfully Saka came good & won the game for the second time in a week & thankfully Leno was at the top of his game to give you the illusion that we had a solid night, the game could have been over after 20 mins.

'Imagine if Laca didnt get the winner' is with regards to his performance not the result, he would have seen Giroud levels of donkey hate today had he not scored & played 90 like the teachers pet, 0-0 would have still been a good result.

Great win, big win, awful performance, stop sugar coating it.

I look forward to you exposing yourself when you 'pick it apart'

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:

Please pick it apart, it would be good to expose yourself & show your a) clear & obvious agenda to see no faults & b) forced positivity merchant.

Emery had plenty of games where he scraped results & got slated because the performance wasnt liquid football so how is this different?

It was inspid & bland (not for the first time) thankfully Saka came good & won the game for the second time in a week & thankfully Leno was at the top of his game to give you the illusion that we had a solid night, the game could have been over after 20 mins.

'Imagine if Laca didnt get the winner' is with regards to his performance not the result, he would have seen Giroud levels of donkey hate today had he not scored & played 90 like the teachers pet, 0-0 would have still been a good result.

Emery was shit,he had no plan,we had no identity under him it was all hit and hope and pray aub nick's us a goal or two.if you cant see how arteta has shored up the defence and how the shape of the team is being slowly moulded then you are blind , how much longer are you going to hope arteta fails before you realise he might just be doing ok?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

What plan did you see last night other than to look flat & have Leno be elite to keep us in the game? What identity was there other than a very insipid side with hardly any creativity? Stop with the soundbites, they are really boring.

Too many are looking for positives instead of seeing them organically, how can the defense be so much better if the keeper has been one of the best players in the last few games? This makes zero sense, it's just a pre loaded narrative.

The defense has looked bad in the last few months because the players gave up & tried to get the manager sacked & didnt try for Freddie, what exactly did you expect it to be like when they are all walking around the pitch not trying to be intense?

I don't want Arteta to fail, as someone who pays to go, that's self defeating, I just think he will, big difference.
Last edited by Gunnersaurus on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:55 pm
I would rotate for this - martinelli, dozer, torreira, willock, laca all in.

We play a 3-5-2 - keep it tight and look for the clean sheet.

Hopefully tets appreciates the importance of that and building on the last few defensive displays.

Greece is always difficult away, but we should muller them 2nd leg, so thats how i'd play this one.
I was almost right.

Am well happy with that result - squeaky bum time the first ten minutes, we could have been 2-0 down easy.

But we did keep it tight and did the smash and grab thanks to saka again. Made up for laca, that will help him tons.

I thought dozer had bit of a shocker at times.

On to Everton next - the unbeaten run continues :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

The game would of likely been put bed if he had played our top striker in his proper position.

1 nil to the Arsenal when away is always welcome

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am
What plan did you see last night other than to look flat & have Leno be elite to keep us in the game? What identity was there other than a very insipid side with hardly any creativity? Stop with the soundbites, they are really boring.

Too many are looking for positives instead of seeing them organically, how can the defense be so much better if the keeper has been one of the best players in the last few games? This makes zero sense, it's just a pre loaded narrative.

The defense has looked bad in the last few months because the players gave up & tried to get the manager sacked & didnt try for Freddie, what exactly did you expect it to be like when they are all walking around the pitch not trying to be intense?

I don't want Arteta to fail, as someone who pays to go, that's self defeating, I just think he will, big difference.
You're a joke mate,end of.no positives? Another clean sheet and that being away to a team who have scored in every game this season and are 18 unbeaten but yeah no positives .no identity? you mean you cant see how we are becoming hard to score against,that in itself in an identity,ffs you cant wait for a dicking just to say I told you so,get over your emery hard on and except there are improvements

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

markyp wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:

Emery was shit,he had no plan,we had no identity under him it was all hit and hope and pray aub nick's us a goal or two.if you cant see how arteta has shored up the defence and how the shape of the team is being slowly moulded then you are blind , how much longer are you going to hope arteta fails before you realise he might just be doing ok?
Totally agree about Emery, nice guy but weak as shit.....after a few months he was sussed out and the players were taking the piss....you have to show them who is the the Boss with these multi million pound youngsters

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Good result winning away in Greece, every win will build confidence, doing as good as can be expected with the players we have at the moment
This is a Trophy we can win....Gdansk would be a great trip

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

markyp wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:01 am

You're a joke mate,end of.no positives? Another clean sheet and that being away to a team who have scored in every game this season and are 18 unbeaten but yeah no positives .no identity? you mean you cant see how we are becoming hard to score against,that in itself in an identity,ffs you cant wait for a dicking just to say I told you so,get over your emery hard on and except there are improvements

And you my friend, are nothing more than a soundbite merchant.

I'm going to make a mental note of you for everytime I want to play 'Sounbite Bingo'

Again, what was the plan and what was the identity?

Please give a detailed description of what both are, bare in mind we all have eyes and watched it last night, this should be good.....

PS. I have no Emery hard on, I just have a hard on for hypocrisy & false positivity, I'm wiping my bell everytime I read one of your posts.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:51 am
markyp wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 am
Gunnersaurus wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:

Totally agree about Emery, nice guy but weak as shit.....after a few months he was sussed out and the players were taking the piss....you have to show them who is the the Boss with these multi million pound youngsters
You think Arteta is showing Lacazette & Ozil who is boss? Both have him in their pocket.