Season predictor / What happens next? Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
dano

Season predictor / What happens next? Merged thread.

Post by dano »

will throw out a few predictions:

1. season will be cancelled, cannot see the crisis over and back in action before the beginning of May
2. a good number of lower league teams will go under (maybe 10-15%), there will be no help from the PL
3. Champions and UEFA playoffs also cancelled
4. moving Euro 2020 to 2021 will push the World Cup out a year also
5. transfers will be at their lowest level in years (not just us, but the total market)
6. a good legal fight coming on the Championship teams that will not be promoted
7. Liverpool, if granted the champions, will always have an asterisk next to them

IW8Goalmachine

Re: What happens next?

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

This will also give players going into their final year a complete advantage.

Herd

Post by Herd »

All clubs like all companies should have had insurance against this possibility ,if they didn't they are fools ,also they should have made sure sky pays regardless but of course they haven't ,the levels of incompetence in football are staggering !

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I'm not aware of Pandemic Insurance Cover for businesses. Think you'll find that's an area of exclusion for policies.

JCB

Post by JCB »

dano wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:08 am

7. Liverpool, if granted the champions, will always have an asterisk next to them
All hail the divine asterisk!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

JCB wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:01 pm
dano wrote:

So we can expect a concerted effort by the mickeys to ban the little star from the world of typographical symbols - bunch of c*nts.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:55 pm
JCB wrote:
dano wrote:

So we can expect a concerted effort by the mickeys to ban the little star from the world of typographical symbols - bunch of c*nts.
Thank God that they were beaten before this happened - they would've tried to claim that they went undefeated the "whole" season.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

No matter what happens, a huge shadow has befittingly been cast over any possible title celebrations!
If they’re simply handed the title (which i think is the most likely outcome) then we can mock them for evermore, as not actually winning it “fair and square” but simply been handed it to stop them moaning.
Games being played behind closed doors, would be farcical and there are too many remaining games to be played , plus when could they be played? It would be completely immoral to stage these games whilst a nation is burying thousands of dead!
On top of this, loads of players will be out of contract and loads of forelgn players wont return here until every last case of covid 19 is closed!
Preferred option for me would be to simply make the season null and void! Now how fucking funny would that be! :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

On many threads here and elsewhere over the years it was suggested that football would eat itself through greed . Well Covid19 may have taken that opportunity from football and instead will do it itself.
I actually find the whole what will happen to the season talk in the media and online to be increasingly sickening. The concern about the season seems to be only money driven. Sponsorship, TV money and such like, promotion concerns are based on cash fall rather than the thrill of playing at a higher level.. All the while people are dying, becoming unemployed and are desperately worried about mortgages and feeding families .The same people support the clubs and pay the TV companies to have the right to watch football on their own TV.
Seriously fuck football and it's own new worry about its own finances. When this is over we will need football as a form of escape and entertainment. The clubs owe us, not the other way around. Call the season "null and void" or call Liverpool champions. Is it important now in the bigger picture of fear and dread?. Football at the highest level should have enough money to survive this epidemic, if it hasn't then tough .Players have a moral responsibility that many of them don't understand or worse maybe don't care about. Take the paycuts and show leadership and empathy. I read such a player or such a manager has donated X amount of their money to fight the virus or support the healthcare workers. Great ,looks great on Twitter or SSN. Generous amounts of money indeed, but dwarfed by the money they are still earning.
Many supporters will not have jobs when this is over,many will have died or lost loved ones . Football will moan about TV money and sponsorship. Sponsors will worry about lack of exposure. Supporters will worry about life and living. Read that a kit manufacturer may go to court if the season is extended beyond June because their contract with the prominent club they provide gear to ends in May and they fear the club will become champions in the playing gear of their rival.
The money has gone to the players and agents and football can't get it back. Their problem.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am
I'm not aware of Pandemic Insurance Cover for businesses. Think you'll find that's an area of exclusion for policies.
In normal household insurance yes but you can insure against anything if you want too.
The insurance market is so saturated that you could get it at a reasonable price too.
I know a whole bunch of insurance underwriters and brokers from my time in Singapore.
Whilst I was there 2 Malaysian air planes fell from the sky yet their premiums went down the following year.
You can insure against loss of revenue for whatever reason. Everybody whose income large depends on a single or 2 or 3 streams should do so as a matter of course.
As a Shipbroker we always had such insurances in case people didnt pay for any reason whatsoever.
This is particularly important if you have massive outgoings,but of course again if clubs had any sense they would write some sort of force majeure clause into all contacts.

Lastly I cannot see any legitamate way that Liverpool can be awarded the title ,because if they freeze the league and call it over you would have to also relegate those in the bottom and that would be a legal battle. Having said that they want to give it to them and since football is corrupt anything is possible. What would be immensely funny is if the fa fob them off with a special achievement award . We could really rip the piss out of them then.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

JCB wrote:
dano wrote:

Will the Victims with their "Champions" tattoo's already be getting an asterisk added soon I wonder?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 am
On many threads here and elsewhere over the years it was suggested that football would eat itself through greed . Well Covid19 may have taken that opportunity from football and instead will do it itself.
I actually find the whole what will happen to the season talk in the media and online to be increasingly sickening. The concern about the season seems to be only money driven. Sponsorship, TV money and such like, promotion concerns are based on cash fall rather than the thrill of playing at a higher level.. All the while people are dying, becoming unemployed and are desperately worried about mortgages and feeding families .The same people support the clubs and pay the TV companies to have the right to watch football on their own TV.
Seriously fuck football and it's own new worry about its own finances. When this is over we will need football as a form of escape and entertainment. The clubs owe us, not the other way around. Call the season "null and void" or call Liverpool champions. Is it important now in the bigger picture of fear and dread?. Football at the highest level should have enough money to survive this epidemic, if it hasn't then tough .Players have a moral responsibility that many of them don't understand or worse maybe don't care about. Take the paycuts and show leadership and empathy. I read such a player or such a manager has donated X amount of their money to fight the virus or support the healthcare workers. Great ,looks great on Twitter or SSN. Generous amounts of money indeed, but dwarfed by the money they are still earning.
Many supporters will not have jobs when this is over,many will have died or lost loved ones . Football will moan about TV money and sponsorship. Sponsors will worry about lack of exposure. Supporters will worry about life and living. Read that a kit manufacturer may go to court if the season is extended beyond June because their contract with the prominent club they provide gear to ends in May and they fear the club will become champions in the playing gear of their rival.
The money has gone to the players and agents and football can't get it back. Their problem.
Was thinking similar lines yesterday ( but didn’t post and your post is far more eloquent than I would have written )
In the great scheme of things, football is largely irrelevant isn’t it ?

Maybe when we come through this horrible thing we can all take stock of what is important in life
Your health and that of family and friends.

The amount of money in football is obscene, we can all get by without football , but cannot get by without the little people, the bin men, the supermarket cashiers, the lorry drivers bringing supplies, the nurses, fireman, police, and ambulance services, the careers who devote their lives to others.

Maybe life will change forever, maybe for the better, we can only hope.

Midz

Post by Midz »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 am
Was thinking similar lines yesterday ( but didn’t post and your post is far more eloquent than I would have written )
In the great scheme of things, football is largely irrelevant isn’t it ?

Maybe when we come through this horrible thing we can all take stock of what is important in life
Your health and that of family and friends.

The amount of money in football is obscene, we can all get by without football , but cannot get by without the little people, the bin men, the supermarket cashiers, the lorry drivers bringing supplies, the nurses, fireman, police, and ambulance services, the careers who devote their lives to others.

Maybe life will change forever, maybe for the better, we can only hope.

I like both the above posts very much. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

They have to cancel the rest of it. Just call the season null and void. It's almost insulting to the memory of the thousands of people that have died to restart the season. At the very least it would be in poor taste.

Also - and I'm not gonna lie here or pretend to take only the moral high ground - it would be deserved retribution for the scumbag mousers for murdering 39 innocent Italians if they miss out on the title. Fuck em.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:29 am
They have to cancel the rest of it. Just call the season null and void. It's almost insulting to the memory of the thousands of people that have died to restart the season. At the very least it would be in poor taste.

Also - and I'm not gonna lie here or pretend to take only the moral high ground - it would be deserved retribution for the scumbag mousers for murdering 39 innocent Italians if they miss out on the title. Fuck em.

The victims know that, short of playing out the rest of the season, there is no good outcome for them - void the season and their 30 year famine will continue ( :barscarf: :barscarf: :lol: :lol: ), but to award them the league trophy would allow fans of every other team to slate them for not actually winning it