ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:14 pm
mcdowell4 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Didn't we sell Song to Barcelona. :D
hleb
Him too.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:14 pm
mcdowell4 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Didn't we sell Song to Barcelona. :D
hleb
Petit didn’t work out too well either. Spent most of his short time there on the bench. Petit did a very good job for us, but Vieira was that good that he made anyone who played alongside him look considerably better than they were. Had his work cut out with Gilles Grimandi and Remi Garde though ! :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The only one who remonstrated with the Brighton player was Leno himself as he was being carried away on the stretcher, the rest of our pussies did fuck all about it.

Oh and fuck Guendouzi, acting the hard man after the final whistle went, where was he for the previous 90 minutes when we were being kicked all over the place? Kolasinac was the same, going ape shit at full time - fuck lot of use that was to us, the three points have just been pissed away.

I've absolutely slaughtered Keown on here for his indefensible backing of Wenger, but no way would he take that shit during a game, either the perpetrator would be on the receiving end of a reducer or some other fucker would get it.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mirror say Emi Martinez has convinced #Arsenal to shelve plans for a summer keeper shake-up. Martinez could even get a new deal after his impressive form standing in for injured first choice Bernd Leno. https://t.co/RsKacma3uI

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 pm
The Mirror say Emi Martinez has convinced #Arsenal to shelve plans for a summer keeper shake-up. Martinez could even get a new deal after his impressive form standing in for injured first choice Bernd Leno. https://t.co/RsKacma3uI
If true then good for him, he's hardly put a foot wrong so far so deserves a chance at the top. I'd hardly say GK is a position of need right now and would rather money spent elsewhere. Its early days but Flappy and Almunia got considerable chances and were shit... :rubchin:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Had his work cut out with Gilles Grimandi .

Dont have a go at the grimster , his tackle on Davids was worth his presence on it's own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtidXpWaVVM

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:41 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
If true then good for him, he's hardly put a foot wrong so far so deserves a chance at the top. I'd hardly say GK is a position of need right now and would rather money spent elsewhere. Its early days but Flappy and Almunia got considerable chances and were shit... :rubchin:
I saw some clips of the 1-0 Leeds cup victory today and he played very well in that match too.

I’m more than happy with him Leno pushing each other to up their game.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:36 pm
Had his work cut out with Gilles Grimandi .

Dont have a go at the grimster , his tackle on Davids was worth his presence on it's own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtidXpWaVVM
Absolutely. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Remember Wenger making him captain in his post lobotomy years??!!! That sparked Oh Wise One's ramblings about captaincy being overplayed in this country and favouring rotational leadership. Great memories eh?

Fair play to Martinez - what has impressed me the most is how well the ball sticks to his gloves. A few shots that have been smashed at him and none of this poncey punching/flapping lark. Couldn't have done much more these past few games and definitely worthy of keeping as our second choice keeper

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Remember Wenger making him captain in his post lobotomy years??!!! That sparked Oh Wise One's ramblings about captaincy being overplayed in this country and favouring rotational leadership. Great memories eh?

Fair play to Martinez - what has impressed me the most is how well the ball sticks to his gloves. A few shots that have been smashed at him and none of this poncey punching/flapping lark. Couldn't have done much more these past few games and definitely worthy of keeping as our second choice keeper
Agree with this. A goal keeper who catches the ball. Who'd have thought we'd see that skill returning to the game? He has shown glimpses over the last 10 years of being a quality keeper, but given his performances I'd put him ahead of Leno, simply because he catches the ball and mixes it up with the throw or long kick rather than the tippy tappy around the penalty area.
On Guendouzi, he hasn't set out what he actually does on the pitch. Does he score? does he assist? is he a hard tackler? haven't seen any of that in the last 3 seasons. He may well be a good player when he can actually show exactly what he brings to the table. I only see a player that exemplifies everything that has been wrong with our midfield for the last few seasons, great technical ability, can't tackle and doesn't make assists. I remember Denilson having more to his game than I've seen from Guendouzi.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I see there is talk from Sky Germany that our very own wannabe Zandra Rhodes RB is unhappy at the club. Apparently BM wouldn't touch him with a bargepole as he can't defend and his stats are shit. Our converted winger who can't actually beat a LB, get to the line or even cross a ball has won a masssive 41% of his defensive battles and a wapping 44% of his aerial tussles this season. Truly a defensive great to go alongside some of the quality RBs we've had over the years. I seem to recall advocating he be sold when the £50M mark was being talked about......we'll be lucky to get half that now. Bellend and Kolasinac ffs.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Anyone know where we can get a CB? There must be one out there better than Mustafi, Luiz and Kolasinac.....that wouldn't cost us much more than £10-15K, maybe less :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:15 pm
Anyone know where we can get a CB? There must be one out there better than Mustafi, Luiz and Kolasinac.....that wouldn't cost us much more than £10-15K, maybe less :rubchin:
Palace have only conceded one more goal than us with such luminaries as Scott Dann and James Tomkins, Burnley three more with Ben Mee and James Tarkowski. Sheffield United with Egan, Basham and Jagielka

It can be done! But who would want a manager who can organise a defence out of next to nothing? I mean we only won two titles doing that in 89 and 91 and numerous cups. Let's have tarts like Mustafi for 35m instead. Pretty sure thats more than Burnley, Palace and Sheffield United would have paid for all their centre halves combined

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Agree with this. A goal keeper who catches the ball. Who'd have thought we'd see that skill returning to the game? He has shown glimpses over the last 10 years of being a quality keeper, but given his performances I'd put him ahead of Leno, simply because he catches the ball and mixes it up with the throw or long kick rather than the tippy tappy around the penalty area.
On Guendouzi, he hasn't set out what he actually does on the pitch. Does he score? does he assist? is he a hard tackler? haven't seen any of that in the last 3 seasons. He may well be a good player when he can actually show exactly what he brings to the table. I only see a player that exemplifies everything that has been wrong with our midfield for the last few seasons, great technical ability, can't tackle and doesn't make assists. I remember Denilson having more to his game than I've seen from Guendouzi.

I happen to think that there's a quality player in Guendouzi, especially as he's only just 21 and I've been happy with him so far. I see a bloke with energy, good technical ability, who carries the ball forward, but also gets busy closing down oppostion attacks in midfield and in and around our area. in short, the things that a centre mid should do. I'd concede that he isn't particularly creative going forward, but he's young.

On a more interesting note, who exactly amongst our centre mid illuminati do you consider to be better than Guendouzi? Around 18 months ago, I'd have said Torreira, but I'm not so sure now, as I think he's another poor bastard that we've ruined. So, keen to hear your take, because even if he's shit (which I don't think), it's surely a case of who's the shittest of all the shit we've got in centre mid and in my book, there's plenty more shit than him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I happen to think that there's a quality player in Guendouzi, especially as he's only just 21 and I've been happy with him so far. I see a bloke with energy, good technical ability, who carries the ball forward, but also gets busy closing down oppostion attacks in midfield and in and around our area. in short, the things that a centre mid should do. I'd concede that he isn't particularly creative going forward, but he's young.

On a more interesting note, who exactly amongst our centre mid illuminati do you consider to be better than Guendouzi? Around 18 months ago, I'd have said Torreira, but I'm not so sure now, as I think he's another poor bastard that we've ruined. So, keen to hear your take, because even if he's shit (which I don't think), it's surely a case of who's the shittest of all the shit we've got in centre mid and in my book, there's plenty more shit than him.
I agree our midfield is woeful, but I disagree on Guendozi, for me he is a nothing player who barely stands out amongst the woeful mess around him. Would he get a regular game if we had decent players around him, I am doubtful? Immaterial what has gone on behind the scenes as a young player he should be knuckling and proving his worth and for me he just hasnt when he has played this season. Last season he had some very good performances this season I couldn't name one under either Emery, Ljundberg or Arteta :rubchin: