Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:06 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Get Captain Black out at the end of the season :cussing: Preferably ASAP! :barscarf:

He's out of Europe & will get totally slaughtered next two games. Another maximum 3 points which could mean 11th or 12th place finish.

He really hasn't got a fécking clue, totally out of his depth. :banghead:

Hope all that wanted Emery out are fécking happy now! :twisted:
I'm sorry but that is just silly mate. Why would they be happy? Just because Arteta is proving he's not the answer does not rewrite history and prove Dick was the answer. He wasn't.
Who was the answer then?

Remember we are looking for the manager to turn Arsene's limpdicks into football's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters on the huge budget of 40m and turn our defenders into GG's 1989 vintage. I mean...take your time as the list of candidates is endless
Again I just think that is a bit OTT. I just want a manager that can take us steadily forward. He has to do the basics - sign (or develop) a top number 10 / midfield creator, instill a good solid DM, and add a couple of top defenders. He has to instill a style a disciplined sense of purpose and a proper spirit. He doesn't have to recreate The Invincibles.
The other thing I liked about Emery was that I felt he was giving youth a chance. This helmet seems to have the inner belief that he can make Mustafi, Xhaka and Kolasinac decent players. I firmly believe all three of those were on the way out and Luiz wouldnt have got an extension either. Now I'm saddened to see all 4 of those *word censored* playing a prominent role in the team :o :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Get Captain Black out at the end of the season :cussing: Preferably ASAP! :barscarf:

He's out of Europe & will get totally slaughtered next two games. Another maximum 3 points which could mean 11th or 12th place finish.

He really hasn't got a fécking clue, totally out of his depth. :banghead:

Hope all that wanted Emery out are fécking happy now! :twisted:
I'm sorry but that is just silly mate. Why would they be happy? Just because Arteta is proving he's not the answer does not rewrite history and prove Dick was the answer. He wasn't.
Who was the answer then?

Remember we are looking for the manager to turn Arsene's limpdicks into football's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters on the huge budget of 40m and turn our defenders into GG's 1989 vintage. I mean...take your time as the list of candidates is endless
Again I just think that is a bit OTT. I just want a manager that can take us steadily forward. He has to do the basics - sign (or develop) a top number 10 / midfield creator, instill a good solid DM, and add a couple of top defenders. He has to instill a style a disciplined sense of purpose and a proper spirit. He doesn't have to recreate The Invincibles.
The other thing I liked about Emery was that I felt he was giving youth a chance. This helmet seems to have the inner belief that he can make Mustafi, Xhaka and Kolasinac decent players. I firmly believe all three of those were on the way out and Luiz wouldnt have got an extension either. Now I'm saddened to see all 4 of those *word censored* playing a prominent role in the team :o :banghead:
For me those 4 are the biggest nails in Arteta's Coffin. If next season starts with all 4 in the starting line up then I'll be calling for his head. They have demonstrated again and again how utterly shit they all are.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Who was the answer then?

For me those 4 are the biggest nails in Arteta's Coffin. If next season starts with all 4 in the starting line up then I'll be calling for his head. They have demonstrated again and again how utterly shit they all are.
And when that happens and Burnley are nine points from 3 games, I just know you'll be saying how you'd wished you'd listened to your old mate SteveO :D :D :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Emery should have been given until the winter transfer window IMO. He was half way through culling the dead wood & wasters, but at least some of the players got their wish to see him removed.

This job should never have been given to a rookie coneman, he's learning on the job & we don't have time to give him either. Many of the players are gutless & just coasting along picking up their wages for tippy tappy sideways football, whilst not bothering to take responsibly & become proactive on the field.

Arteta lacks the gumption to properly clamp down on these issues & properly motivate the players & ensure they are focused & determined at all times. Losing games from a winning position is what he inherited from Emery & that hasn't really changed.

Unless there is proper improvement I don't see Arteta as an upgrade on Emery, plus the fixture list looks like the only potential points we can pick up now are relegation battling Villa away / Watford home.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just read that we've dropped 15 points from winning positions since the super coach joined - more than any other team

Good job we went for this big improvement in attitude over the man who lost the dressing room!

Honestly, truly laughable

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ity-crisis

Doesn't help we have this slimy fucker worming his way into the clubs contract and transfer dealings. Apparently he's best mates with Edu.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity!

augie

Post by augie »

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:35 pm
Emery should have been given until the winter transfer window IMO. He was half way through culling the dead wood & wasters, but at least some of the players got their wish to see him removed.

This job should never have been given to a rookie coneman, he's learning on the job & we don't have time to give him either. Many of the players are gutless & just coasting along picking up their wages for tippy tappy sideways football, whilst not bothering to take responsibly & become proactive on the field.

Arteta lacks the gumption to properly clamp down on these issues & properly motivate the players & ensure they are focused & determined at all times. Losing games from a winning position is what he inherited from Emery & that hasn't really changed.

Unless there is proper improvement I don't see Arteta as an upgrade on Emery, plus the fixture list looks like the only potential points we can pick up now are relegation battling Villa away / Watford home.

That my good friend is highly debatable - how many times has he stuck with the same retarded back 3 ? He has made xhaka a mainstay in his team despite contributing the square root of fcuk all :roll: Auba is marooned out on the wing and arteta would rather play nketieh in the middle. Auba's attitude in the last 2 games has been poor imo, so move him into the middle against the murdering scouse b.astards and see if his work-rate improves, and if it doesnt he should be relegated to the bench too.

A manager actually learning on the job would have recognised that all of the back 3 plus xhaka and bellend should be dropped - how many are we expecting to see axed for the next game ? I suspect that the answer might be 1 or 2, plus tierney will be dropped for some unfathomable reason :roll:

Arteta is not learning and that is the biggest worry

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am
That my good friend is highly debatable - how many times has he stuck with the same retarded back 3 ? He has made xhaka a mainstay in his team despite contributing the square root of fcuk all :roll: Auba is marooned out on the wing and arteta would rather play nketieh in the middle. Auba's attitude in the last 2 games has been poor imo, so move him into the middle against the murdering scouse b.astards and see if his work-rate improves, and if it doesnt he should be relegated to the bench too.

A manager actually learning on the job would have recognised that all of the back 3 plus xhaka and bellend should be dropped - how many are we expecting to see axed for the next game ? I suspect that the answer might be 1 or 2, plus tierney will be dropped for some unfathomable reason :roll:

Saying that all of the back 3 should be dropped is a fair comment but who would you play there that would turn our fortunes around?

I’m assuming you think Sokratis and Holding are our best pair? Or include Medley into a back 3?

You’re just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic if you ask me. Only Edu and Raul can resolve this in the transfer window so I sympathise with Emery and Arteta on the collection of centre backs.

Can’t agree with the logic of dropping Aubameyang either. He’s literally our only goal threat! Who would your Attack be without Auba?

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

Failure. Get rid. Is tolerating and rewarding mediocrity and has-beens like Luiz and Lacazette, cant make up his mind who his best starting 11 is, has been an utter *word censored* not playing Martinelli until his injury, clueless substitutions, and keeps playing players out of position. Why didnt Saka start today?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Wengerballs wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50 am
Failure. Get rid. Is tolerating and rewarding mediocrity and has-beens like Luiz and Lacazette, cant make up his mind who his best starting 11 is, has been an utter *word censored* not playing Martinelli until his injury, clueless substitutions, and keeps playing players out of position. Why didnt Saka start today?
And to think that the previous manager was taking us backwards lol

9th in the league, schooled by Olympiacos in his one European tie and no clearer as to what his best team or system is. Took Emery a couple of months to get an unbeaten run going despite being stuck with most of Wenger's jokers.....what excuse has this prick got?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:20 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Who was the answer then?

And when that happens and Burnley are nine points from 3 games, I just know you'll be saying how you'd wished you'd listened to your old mate SteveO :D :D :barscarf:
:lol:

Ya never know, I just might be..... :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 am

Saying that all of the back 3 should be dropped is a fair comment but who would you play there that would turn our fortunes around?

I’m assuming you think Sokratis and Holding are our best pair? Or include Medley into a back 3?

You’re just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic if you ask me. Only Edu and Raul can resolve this in the transfer window so I sympathise with Emery and Arteta on the collection of centre backs.

Can’t agree with the logic of dropping Aubameyang either. He’s literally our only goal threat! Who would your Attack be without Auba?

Personally I would scrap the back 3 and go with a back 4 with sokratis and holding as the 2 centre backs

Rearranging the deck chairs ? Maybe so, but the way the numpty currently has them is NOT WORKING - what have we got to lose at this stage ? I really bought into the way emery was getting shot of the older shittier players and replacing them with younger hungrier players ? Maybe some of them wont turn out to be good enough for us, but surely it makes sense to play them now and see if they are good enough, instead of persisting with shit that we know isnt good enough ?? I would much rather take a 5-0 licking against the murdering scouse scum with torreira, guendouzi, holding and saka in the team, than to lose 2 or 3 nil with a team containing xhaka, mustafi and kolasniac

Btw I only advocated dropping auba IF his work-rate doesnt improve when I would put him in the number 9 strikers role - I continue to be pissed off with him being marooned on the wing, and tbh my own preference with be a 2 man strike force with him and laca

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

We have nothing to lose. We can't qualify for Europe through the PL and we can't get relegated.

If I was Arteta right now I'd drop Xhakatard, Sideshow Chav, Kalamitysnatch, Mustafalaugh and Bellend for the rest of the season. Cup included.

I'd turn to the kids and say right go out there and fucking impress me, show me what you can do, earn the shirt.

But then I've always been known for my massive balls. 8)

:wink:

One exception. I'd give Hillier Mk2 away to anyone that would take him (cough cough wink wink Palace) because he is the most useless kid I've ever seen in our famous jersey.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Who is Hillier mark 2? Willock or Nelson? Possibly both!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Who is Hillier mark 2? Willock or Nelson? Possibly both!
I like Willock but I’d loan him out along with Nelson. Bring Smith-Rowe back into the squad though!