Villa vulvas A Tue 21st KO 815pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Villa vulvas A Tue 21st KO 815pm

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:11 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:41 pm
Just read on Twitter that Villa suffered no shots on target against them in the Premier League for the first time since January 2016 when they played West Brom !

Make every excuse you want for copy cat Pep, but tonight was worse than anything served up under Wenger or Emery

No shots on goal - not against Barca or ManUre or Citeh....against a Villa team who fluked their way into the division and have let in 66 goals

The improvement continues!
Two things. How does a header hitting the inside of their upright not count as a shot on target? Not digging you out here SteveO as I've checked and in all the post match stat shit it says 0 shots on target. That to me is a bit disingenuous tbh....

Second thing - and I am digging you out just a tad here mate - I recall several performances under Dick that were as bad as last night and maybe even worse. I simply can't be fucked looking up more stats but I'm also pretty sure we had at least one game under Dick that saw us have 0 shots on target. Quoting one of my wedding vows: I stand to be corrected..... :D :wink:

Maybe one of the virgin stat geeks on here could look that up for us?

Muzz? StuartL? :lol: :wink: :wink:
I resemble that remark, anyway i'm fairly sure i have 3 kids at least one of which i'm fairly certain is mine :? :oops:

Last night was indefensible so i can't be arsed trying to find stats to compare, suffice it to say that was easily one of the worst, most abject performances seen under any of our recent managers including Wenger at his worst.

All it does, for me at least being brutally honest with myself, is underline that try as we might to pretend we are still a top 6 team we are miles away, i'm loathe to admit it, and i know some of you will vehemently argue against it, but we are behind the Chavs, Mans Scum and Spuds with this coach and these players and will never improve with this owner at the helm.
I think you are pretty much bang on there Muzz. I don't think we are too far behind those clubs listed because they are all ropey as hell too. But what really worries me is they will all spend huge sums this summer to improve their standing with the possible exception of the scum - unless the idiot Leavy decides fuck it all or nothing and gets them put into administration. :lol: Under the wig-peado we won't spend and we will slip further out of touch with that top 6 no matter who is manager..... :|

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Thought the Zaha story was supposed to be a smokescreen because Dick really wanted Pepe so the Zaha story was floated to force Pepe and his then club into a decision.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Far be it for me to come to the defence of the Emery fan club on here but a shot on target is defined as one that results in a goal or would have resulted in a goal if not saved by the keeper or blocked by another player.

Therefore a shot that hits the post/crossbar is not on target as the goal is the actual fucking target not its surrounds, you’re most welcome 8)

I could go into a sexaul analogy where you try to stick it one place but end up somewhere else but you lot don’t come on here for immature drivel like that 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Horrible performance last night, can't pick out any redeeming point for any player. I would exonerate Martinez for the goal. I don't like criticising young players but week after week Joe Willock comes on and is anonymous. I love to see players come through the system and star for the club , our history is built on it .But I have to say Willock is the most irrelevant player on the pitch game after game.
Once upon a time when a final was looming a player getting a chance to prove himself would break his bollix to do so. Ti me Holding is probably the best central defender available to Arteta at the moment but he done nothing to show it last night.
Kolasnic is abysmal, straight line runner. Torriera who I thought was brilliant when he joined, is now a second yellow card waiting to happen game after game.
I hope Herd is right and it is pre Wembley jitters with the added real lack of incentive in the game last night. It is a dreadful attitude and excuse to approach a game that way.
Arteta said , when asked about the plane and banner said he had the full backing of Kronkes..Yeah right. Was hoping he wasn't another yes man.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:01 am
Far be it for me to come to the defence of the Emery fan club on here but a shot on target is defined as one that results in a goal or would have resulted in a goal if not saved by the keeper or blocked by another player.

Therefore a shot that hits the post/crossbar is not on target as the goal is the actual fucking target not its surrounds, you’re most welcome 8)

I could go into a sexaul analogy where you try to stick it one place but end up somewhere else but you lot don’t come on here for immature drivel like that 8)
That makes sense I suppose but to me as a footballer I'd be claiming I hit the target if I bust one off the crossbar so fuck your rules roddaz. :lol: :wink:

Similarly any hole that's warm and wet is a result. 8)

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:01 am

I beg to differ :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 am
Horrible performance last night, can't pick out any redeeming point for any player. I would exonerate Martinez for the goal. I don't like criticising young players but week after week Joe Willock comes on and is anonymous. I love to see players come through the system and star for the club , our history is built on it .But I have to say Willock is the most irrelevant player on the pitch game after game.
Once upon a time when a final was looming a player getting a chance to prove himself would break his bollix to do so. Ti me Holding is probably the best central defender available to Arteta at the moment but he done nothing to show it last night.
Kolasnic is abysmal, straight line runner. Torriera who I thought was brilliant when he joined, is now a second yellow card waiting to happen game after game.
I hope Herd is right and it is pre Wembley jitters with the added real lack of incentive in the game last night. It is a dreadful attitude and excuse to approach a game that way.
Arteta said , when asked about the plane and banner said he had the full backing of Kronkes..Yeah right. Was hoping he wasn't another yes man.
I think you're 100% on the money there Brady. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Just read on Twitter that Villa suffered no shots on target against them in the Premier League for the first time since January 2016 when they played West Brom !

Make every excuse you want for copy cat Pep, but tonight was worse than anything served up under Wenger or Emery

No shots on goal - not against Barca or ManUre or Citeh....against a Villa team who fluked their way into the division and have let in 66 goals

Two things. How does a header hitting the inside of their upright not count as a shot on target? Not digging you out here SteveO as I've checked and in all the post match stat shit it says 0 shots on target. That to me is a bit disingenuous tbh....

Second thing - and I am digging you out just a tad here mate - I recall several performances under Dick that were as bad as last night and maybe even worse. I simply can't be fucked looking up more stats but I'm also pretty sure we had at least one game under Dick that saw us have 0 shots on target. Quoting one of my wedding vows: I stand to be corrected..... :D :wink:

Maybe one of the virgin stat geeks on here could look that up for us?

Muzz? StuartL? :lol: :wink: :wink:
Happy to have the geeks dig it out - I'm sure there was at least one like that under Dick, but two things

1. I'm pretty certain it won't have come against a team who had conceded 66 goals and achieved zero shots on target against them for the first time in over 4 years. I'm pretty sure at somewhere like City you might find an example- hardly comparable

2. The whole point is that Dick was awful remember - clueless, baffling selections, lost the dressing room, couldn't communicate etc....where as we've eliminated all that under the new Pep and as you could clearly see in the second half it was perfectly clear what the substitutions were supposed to be achieving and we've somehow managed to land God's gift to management. The great improvement that has seen us rise to 10th and with no European football for the first time in as long as anyone can remember

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If we win the cup we’ll have Thursday night football to look forward to next season so don’t write us off just yet SteveO. :wink:

Speaking of the cup that’s the biggest disappointment about last night for me even more so than the result. Six changes were made to the team last night, giving six lads an opportunity to stake a claim for a cup final start and all six were absolutely fucking SHIT.

As I said on the transfer thread I’m more excited about binning out players this summer than I am about signings, I’ll be ecstatic when some of those pricks get shipped out.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am
If we win the cup we’ll have Thursday night football to look forward to next season so don’t write us off just yet SteveO. :wink:

Speaking of the cup that’s the biggest disappointment about last night for me even more so than the result. Six changes were made to the team last night, giving six lads an opportunity to stake a claim for a cup final start and all six were absolutely fucking SHIT.

As I said on the transfer thread I’m more excited about binning out players this summer than I am about signings, I’ll be ecstatic when some of those pricks get shipped out.
You mean ones like Xhaka and Musafi that were on the verge of being binned in January. Look at the players Dick binned that we all moaned about - Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Ramsey for that matter if you read the posts on here over the years. On top of that for various reasons we lost tons of others too.

Mr Beige will more than likely reinstate the Swiss dollop as captain and build his midfield around him, and have Mustafi as his deputy. Mkhitaryan is a senior player so no doubt he will return and play a prominent role doing absolutely fuck all again and Nketiah will be our main centre forward so the waste of space that is Auba can be shoved out wide

Yay, the Arteta revolution. Can't wait for another year of it. Saliba will probably spend the season cleaning Kolasinac's boots

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

if its not going in it can't be on target. i havent seen the incident but did it hit the post and keeper then saved it from going in or did it just hit post and bounce away? if the latter not on target. it has to be going in to be on target.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

It was an awful performance and Arteta deserves serious stick for sending out such an imbalanced, lacklustre team that failed to produce a single shot on target :x

As for whether it’s worse than anything served up by Emery or Wenger, personally I think I’ve seen worse down the years.

For me, Wenger losing 8-2 to Manure and 6-0(?) against Chavs was worse.

And of course Emery’s major flaw was at the other end and getting the team organised. As recently as this season, emery had a few horror stats himself. How about:
- in our first 13 games of the 2019/20 season, Emery’s Arsenal had conceded 225 shots :lol:
- by September 2019 we’d conceded more shots against us than any other club in Europe’s TOP 5 leagues :shock:
- in November 2019 we conceded 31 shots against relegation fodder Watford :oops:

I can understand your criticism of Arteta but surely you need to have some balance and accept that Emery was seriously struggling too? I liked Emery but his team was in freefall and neither Freddie or Arteta have managed to improve things. It’s been a horror show all season.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:56 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

if its not going in it can't be on target. i havent seen the incident but did it hit the post and keeper then saved it from going in or did it just hit post and bounce away? if the latter not on target. it has to be going in to be on target.
woops see rodders put this way more articulately and understandably for the majority on here than i ever could!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

One thing that's been overlooked in all of the shiteness of lastnight is that it's yet another season we've finished behind that shower of cockbadge ringpieces :cry:
That's 4 seasons now,oh how we used to laugh and say no matter how utterly shite we were we always finished above those bastards..now it's those fuckers saying that :oops: They are utter utter pish and they've finished above us yet again :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:56 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

It was an awful performance and Arteta deserves serious stick for sending out such an imbalanced, lacklustre team that failed to produce a single shot on target :x

As for whether it’s worse than anything served up by Emery or Wenger, personally I think I’ve seen worse down the years.

For me, Wenger losing 8-2 to Manure and 6-0(?) against Chavs was worse.

And of course Emery’s major flaw was at the other end and getting the team organised. As recently as this season, emery had a few horror stats himself. How about:
- in our first 13 games of the 2019/20 season, Emery’s Arsenal had conceded 225 shots :lol:
- by September 2019 we’d conceded more shots against us than any other club in Europe’s TOP 5 leagues :shock:
- in November 2019 we conceded a record 31 shots against relegation fodder Watford :oops:

I can understand your criticism of Arteta but surely you need to have some balance and accept that Emery was seriously struggling too? I liked Emery but his team was in freefall and neither Freddie or Arteta have managed to improve things. It’s been a horror show all season.
I've lost count of how many times I've talked about Emery having his faults and far from being his number one fan, I have admitted where he went wrong. The decision to have the captain voted in was a joke and none of those stats you mention are ones to be especially proud of....however 31 shots flying here, there and everywhere in a game we drew is hardly as bad as not registering a shot on target against one of the league's whipping boys

What I'm not having is this massive improvement bullshit. The simple facts are that we are lower in the league and still producing absolutely awful performances on a regular basis, dotted around the odd decent one here and there. Far from being in freefall our team had just won the Europa League group and were 7th. Results fell away as things came to a head with Xhaka and Ozil in particular, so what do you do then? Take some short term pain, or pander to the prick and reinstate him to the team?

I'd rather have finished 14th with the kids playing and knowing that Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil and others were on the way out, than finish 10th and start building a team around the first two. I'd have taken Lacazette going too despite the odd decent game lately

Did anyone seriously think Emery could keep everyone happy when he was trying to rid the squad of Wenger's wankers of the past decade....and have us playing beautiful football, with a watertight defence and qualifying for the CL? If they did, then I reckon most of our fans should end up on AFTV with the rest of the songs

We are going backwards - the selections and substitutions are equally baffling, the football is sterile to the point of resembling walking football and we have tried and tested c.unts who have failed on dozens of occasions being senior figures in the team. How anyone can't see that is beyond me? If an English manager had overseen a performance like that last night we would be hearing about football from the dark ages and such phrases as "tactically naive". Because its baby Pep, supposedly we are "more organised" and "showing improvement". If you give me the option of a helter skelter draw at Watford where we conceded 31 shots, or going down with a whimper and without a point or shot at Villa, I know which I would take