ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

There was a camera crew doing a video around Henry's statue yesterday. Smoke and all involved.

Maybe an announcement video that auba is staying?

Or we have resigned Theo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:38 am
There was a camera crew doing a video around Henry's statue yesterday. Smoke and all involved.

Maybe an announcement video that auba is staying?

Or we have resigned Theo
:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

But also:

:worried:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona have no interest in signing Mattéo Guendouzi. #Arsenal https://t.co/gaoiA9JwyZ

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:00 pm
Agree with this. A goal keeper who catches the ball. Who'd have thought we'd see that skill returning to the game? He has shown glimpses over the last 10 years of being a quality keeper, but given his performances I'd put him ahead of Leno, simply because he catches the ball and mixes it up with the throw or long kick rather than the tippy tappy around the penalty area.
On Guendouzi, he hasn't set out what he actually does on the pitch. Does he score? does he assist? is he a hard tackler? haven't seen any of that in the last 3 seasons. He may well be a good player when he can actually show exactly what he brings to the table. I only see a player that exemplifies everything that has been wrong with our midfield for the last few seasons, great technical ability, can't tackle and doesn't make assists. I remember Denilson having more to his game than I've seen from Guendouzi.

I happen to think that there's a quality player in Guendouzi, especially as he's only just 21 and I've been happy with him so far. I see a bloke with energy, good technical ability, who carries the ball forward, but also gets busy closing down oppostion attacks in midfield and in and around our area. in short, the things that a centre mid should do. I'd concede that he isn't particularly creative going forward, but he's young.

On a more interesting note, who exactly amongst our centre mid illuminati do you consider to be better than Guendouzi? Around 18 months ago, I'd have said Torreira, but I'm not so sure now, as I think he's another poor bastard that we've ruined. So, keen to hear your take, because even if he's shit (which I don't think), it's surely a case of who's the shittest of all the shit we've got in centre mid and in my book, there's plenty more shit than him.
Of our current midfielders Cellabos, Torreira, Xhaka (yes) and Willock are better players than guendouzi. Guendouzi has not established a style of play that makes you trust him in the midfield. Problem is our midfield needs better players than we currently have and Guendouzi does not fit the criteria. He may be talented but what does he do with that talent? He has never produced a display that makes me think he's the real deal. He's made 82 appearances for the club, 1 goal and 4 assists over 2 seasons. Not good enough, not worth the hassle, cash in on his potential and get a better midfielder.

We do indeed need better players than we’ve got, but the question was who is better than Guendouzi and you pretty much said every centre mid we’ve got, including Xhaka !!! Suffice to say that Xhaka is the single worst centre mid I’ve ever seen at the club...by some margin. I think you’ve sunk your argument by citing that clown as better than Guendouzi, at least in the eyes of most on this forum.

I’ve already explained what I think Guendouzi brings, but you can’t see anything he offers. Fair enough, but tell me what Willock brings to the table, because I sure can’t see anything? As for Toreirra, I thought 18 months ago that we had a real star on our hands, but for whatever reason, those wheels have come off. He’s a shadow of his former self and I suspect he’ll be gone this summer.

I don’t see anyone offering more than Matteo in our centre mid.
[/quote]

I admire your support of him. What has he offerred our midfield that differs greatly from the rest of them? All I see is 1 goal and 4 assists over two seasons. That is a piss poor return from the next best thing as you claim him to be.
I'm sure he'll become a fine player, but not at Arsenal, nor in the premier league.
[/quote]

Nos, it took me a while to find the quote about guendouzi's lack of favourable stats (didnt know who said it tbf), but how about we look at the player that the vast majority of Gooners want to replace him ..... thomas partey

"Partey made 46 appearances across all competitions last season - including 35 in LaLiga - scoring four goals, registering one assist and picking up 16 yellow cards."

I obviously havent got the amount of minutes each player has been on the pitch, but I will bet my bollox that partey has played FAR more minutes than guendouzi has, so you average it out and tell me who has the better stats record ?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Augie, my main issue with Guendouzi is that we don't know what type of midfielder he is. In two season he hasn't shown whether he is a disruptive midfielder or creative. In my mind Partey is a disruptive midfielder, like petit and Gilberto were, or kante to give the better equivalent so I wouldn't expect his goal stats to be anywhere. But, at least we know what he does and brings to the team. Personally, I'd have Partey alongside Luiz in DM, protecting a back 4., therefore dispensing with the services of Xhaka. Guendouzi signifies everything that is wrong at Arsenal at the moment. He may well become an outstanding player but he won't at Arsenal, and basically, his attitude needs to change if he is going to be as big as he thinks he is. He is likely to become the next Rabiot and not the next Deschamp

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Augie, my main issue with Guendouzi is that we don't know what type of midfielder he is. In two season he hasn't shown whether he is a disruptive midfielder or creative. In my mind Partey is a disruptive midfielder, like petit and Gilberto were, or kante to give the better equivalent so I wouldn't expect his goal stats to be anywhere. But, at least we know what he does and brings to the team. Personally, I'd have Partey alongside Luiz in DM, protecting a back 4., therefore dispensing with the services of Xhaka. Guendouzi signifies everything that is wrong at Arsenal at the moment. He may well become an outstanding player but he won't at Arsenal, and basically, his attitude needs to change if he is going to be as big as he thinks he is. He is likely to become the next Rabiot and not the next Deschamp

I have never really been sold on partey and have said that on here going back to last season - one of my main concerns is that it is very hard to judge how good a defensive midfielder partey is when he is playing in a team where at least 7 of the players are defensive.
I will also say that if partey comes here and is picking up 16 yellow cards a season, he will be lambasted by a lot of fans - we badly need a physical defensive midfielder, but 16 yellow cards seems a bit excessive to me

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal are willing to listen to offers for Rob Holding, Sokratis and Mustafi. They want to bring in another central defender. [@David_Ornstein]

https://t.co/hHsWrgvEhg

Ornstein also says we want to get rid of Guendouzi with player also wanting to leave. There are suggestions that we are willing to listen to offers for Torreira. Mikel Arteta also wants to bring in a wide player.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:12 pm
Arsenal are willing to listen to offers for Rob Holding, Sokratis and Mustafi. They want to bring in another central defender. [@David_Ornstein]

Ornstein also says we want to get rid of Guendouzi with player also wanting to leave. There are suggestions that we are willing to listen to offers for Torreira. Mikel Arteta also wants to bring in a wide player.

No great shock that he wants holding (another young player) out the door - if he doesnt view holding as being better than mustafi and kolasniac, then it is better for the player if he fcuks off away from peps coneman (sorry g88ner I couldnt help myself :wink: :lol: )

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Not sure at 24 Holding should be considered young as a footballer these days, I'd expect him to be coming into his prime but hey-ho.....as for Arteta selling young players, Holding, Guendozi and possibly AMN leaving us but as yet Saka, Martinelli, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, ESR, Mari, Mavripanos, Saliba and about another 10 youngsters out on Ioan, it's hardly a cull of the youth players :roll:

Let's see how it pans out before making sweeping statements before the window has been open a even couple of days :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am
According to Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona have no interest in signing Mattéo Guendouzi. #Arsenal https://t.co/gaoiA9JwyZ
No fucking shit :coffeespit:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal's alternative to Thomas Partey is Roma's Amadou Diawara. Arsenal value the midfielder at €25 million, however, Roma want at least €30m. [@danieletrecca]

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:

Ornstein sees the wall. Ornstein has some shit. Ornstein throws the shit at the wall. Ornstein throws some more shit at the wall. Some of the shit sticks to the wall. Ornstein knows. :roll:

For fucks sake mc at least put some fucking effort in buddy!!

:lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Ornstein sees the wall. Ornstein has some shit. Ornstein throws the shit at the wall. Ornstein throws some more shit at the wall. Some of the shit sticks to the wall. Ornstein knows. :roll:

For fucks sake mc at least put some fucking effort in buddy!!

:lol: :wink:
Effort, ffs Augie quotes the Sun :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Coutinho rumours still rumbling on, tbh I’n not too keen on him, peaked at the victims a few seasons ago and has been on downward slope since.