ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm
shu wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:20 pm
I have just seen that Ake has signed for citeh for 40 mill , that would have been a good signing. Teams like Bournemouth , Burnley , Sheffield Utd all probably have some half decent centre backs with plenty of experience in the Premier league. Mind you I remember when Phil Jaguelka turned us down when we were half decent to stay at Everton .

I know I will be accused of Irish biase for saying this, but I would be quite happy to take shane duffy from brighton - he is that physically commanding centre half that we need, and he is commanding in the air both in his own teams penalty area, and in opposition penalty area for set pieces. People keep telling me that I need to alter my viewpoint of my club and what is realistic when looking at potential signings, but I'll bet I will be lambasted for this suggestion and be told that he isnt good enough for us - my dead grandmother would be better than mustafi and kolasniac so he would be a big upgrade on them and within our price range too
SteveO Farage incoming...... :lol: :wink: :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
shu wrote:
I have just seen that Ake has signed for citeh for 40 mill , that would have been a good signing. Teams like Bournemouth , Burnley , Sheffield Utd all probably have some half decent centre backs with plenty of experience in the Premier league. Mind you I remember when Phil Jaguelka turned us down when we were half decent to stay at Everton .

I know I will be accused of Irish biase for saying this, but I would be quite happy to take shane duffy from brighton - he is that physically commanding centre half that we need, and he is commanding in the air both in his own teams penalty area, and in opposition penalty area for set pieces. People keep telling me that I need to alter my viewpoint of my club and what is realistic when looking at potential signings, but I'll bet I will be lambasted for this suggestion and be told that he isnt good enough for us - my dead grandmother would be better than mustafi and kolasniac so he would be a big upgrade on them and within our price range too
I may have suggest Duffy last year as I did believe he was the type of player we needed. However he is out of favour at Brighton now and was mostly used from the bench in recent games.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Wilfried Zaha's hopes of leaving Crystal Palace might rest on initial loan move with future obligation to buy | @mcgrathmike

https://t.co/rcEXEYR9fS

They were looking for 80m off us last year, and now instead he might go on loan.

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 pm
Wilfried Zaha's hopes of leaving Crystal Palace might rest on initial loan move with future obligation to buy | @mcgrathmike

They were looking for 80m off us last year, and now instead he might go on loan.
As long as he stays away from us I don't care what he does.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:18 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Amen. 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

After looking at a season of pepe I can honestly say that I would take zaha in a heartbeat ahead of that lazy one trick pony £72m dud - not quite as bad as the klingon was, but not far off either

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Don’t remember Zaha doing fuck all for Palace last season (just looked it up - 4 goals and 4 assists).

Maybe he went on a sulk when he didn’t get away last summer but he definitely wasn’t as influential for them as he had been in past seasons.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:29 am
Don’t remember Zaha doing fuck all for Palace last season (just looked it up - 4 goals and 4 assists).

Maybe he went on a sulk when he didn’t get away last summer but he definitely wasn’t as influential for them as he had been in past seasons.
He absolutely wanted to join us and our manager then absolutely wanted him too

Thankfully our wise ones on the board opted for Pepe owing to "resale value"

I wonder exactly how much that resale value is today !

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 am
rodders999 wrote:

On current showing about 72p :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 am
rodders999 wrote:

On current showing about 72p :wink:
And that's probably being generous mate!

Does anyone know what our financial commitment is on the Pepe deal? I'd heard we had "only" put down something like 20m up front and the rest was spread over the next few years and some of it linked to certain targets?

I think the maximum value was 72m but not sure how much of that is committed? Hopefully not much more because that will be another big chunk out of an already tiny transfer budget

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am
Midz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

After looking at a season of pepe I can honestly say that I would take zaha in a heartbeat ahead of that lazy one trick pony £72m dud - not quite as bad as the klingon was, but not far off either
I never understand this "either / or" thought process tbh. NEITHER of these donkeys is good enough. THAT'S the issue, not which one is possibly less shit than the other one. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 pm
augie wrote:
shu wrote:

Duffy? Wasn't he in Boyzone?

Dares more to boy bands dun dis :D

Actually Duffy is exactly the type of centre half we need. I'd be happy with him or Ben Mee or Lewis Dunk.

Just to prove it's not all about Ingerlund, I will go fucking ape if we sign that absolute fucking dopey c.unt John Stones !!

augie

Post by augie »

Lewis Dunk I would prefer but sadly we cant compete with the financial might of brighton so he is out of our price range :roll: :oops: :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:52 pm
Lewis Dunk I would prefer but sadly we cant compete with the financial might of brighton so he is out of our price range :roll: :oops: :oops:
We are moving to compete with the South Coast's elite

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 pm
augie wrote:
shu wrote:

Duffy? Wasn't he in Boyzone?

Dares more to boy bands dun dis :D

Actually Duffy is exactly the type of centre half we need. I'd be happy with him or Ben Mee or Lewis Dunk.

Just to prove it's not all about Ingerlund, I will go fucking ape if we sign that absolute fucking dopey c.unt John Stones !!
:lol: :lol:

Ditto on Stones.