ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

Btw Leno, although he made a couple of mistakes last season, was outstanding last season and won us points on many occasions.

Saka too was outstanding and gave the team (and fans) a real lift at a time when it was needed most.

Tierney, since he came back from injury has been outstanding, and is playing out of position too

To say that these 3 under-performed is ridiculous imo

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

We had a few bright sparks last season but it is true that Aubameyang carried the team throughout.

I have nothing against Leno , I think he is a good keeper but I think Martinez is better . My opinion . Obviously not the clubs and with his new promotion that means Arteta .

He has made his decision and gone with the German that's it it's over .

We take the money , whether we have got enough is another question and once again the finger points at our strategists who seem to buy high and sell low .

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am
We had a few bright sparks last season but it is true that Aubameyang carried the team throughout.

I have nothing against Leno , I think he is a good keeper but I think Martinez is better . My opinion . Obviously not the clubs and with his new promotion that means Arteta .

He has made his decision and gone with the German that's it it's over .

We take the money , whether we have got enough is another question and once again the finger points at our strategists who seem to buy high and sell low .

Tbf it is possible that the decision was made for financial reasons more than anything else - personally I think leno is a better keeper, but if arteta was unsure who to stick with, a £20m transfer fee to boost his budget must be enticing
Btw you cant say that we bought high and sold low for martinez

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Would have been interesting had we put them both up and let market forces say who was the most valuable . If Leno is that good he might have attracted Kepa type money and that might have increased our tranfer pot.

Sutch2

Post by Sutch2 »

So annoyed that we’re letting Martinez go. Leno’s a really good keeper but he still has those infuriating mistakes in him (Giving away that corner that lead to Olympiakos’ goal that knocked us out). He needs good competition.

It seems that Dick fucking Law’s substandards still linger at the club as it’s a joke that we’re letting Martinez go so cheap; we need money so we’re letting him go for 16 fking million. Surely we should be milking his great run in the side from last season for all we can? He’s been really highly rated on his loan spells for a while from I’ve heard, and as someone else said, he may keep Villa up, so we should be taking the absolute piss and getting a lot more. Maybe we’ve put in a buy back clause or something in exchange for a lower fee which might help explain it?

I can see this really coming back to haunt us and we’ll wish we never sold him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Other than Martinez have we actually confirmed any other departures? I know the transfer window is unusual this season and smaller clubs are reluctant to part with cash but, whether Arteta's fault or purely market forces, we seem to be growing the squad without really shedding any surplus.

I know Ozil is the immovable force but earlier on there was a raft of talk concerning other players leaving and other than Sokratis I dont think a single one of those early enquiries has proceeded and even he seems to have stalled unless I missed something.

I'm beginning to get a real sinking feeling about disposal of 'surplus' players and them ending up hanging around like a bad stench, 3 weeks until the window closes but I think we need to start accepting as with under Emery that Edu and Arteta are unable to dispose of some of our unwanted 'dangle-berrys' :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @tuttosport, #Arsenal want around €24m for Lucas Torreira & are happy for the fee to be paid in installments. Arsenal are completely against loaning him out. https://t.co/9hbq3bwTEW

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am
TeeCee wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am
He has a few good games and there are people calling for him to be number 1 over a keeper who was one of our best players last season.

Crazy stuff

Spot on mate. Martinez has looked good for 6 months in a 10 year playing career! :shock: Yet some people would say he's suddenly one of the best keepers in the PL. Bizarre. Leno has been excellent for us and did nothing to deserve to be dropped. Martinez has found his level at Villa to be honest. He struggled in the championship for years!!
Leno was nowhere near being our best player last season. The facts are that Auba excelled everyone else underperformed.

Not sure why anyone is putting him on a pedestal he's not even world-class. Surely one of Germany's worst international goalkeepers in a while. WIth regards to Martinez, it looks like we are potentially signing Raya from Brentford. Well there goes £10m of the money that should have been earmarked for Partey and no sign of any departures. Laca doesn't want to leave, nor does Bellerin by the sounds of it.

Seriously ?? Argentina havent had 1 quality keeper in well over a decade and yet your man martinez was never even suggested until 2 months ago :roll: If we sold martinez 6 months ago we would have been lucky to get a mars bar and a packet of crisps and a lot of fans would have been wondering who he was, and now after 15 games we have fans labelling him as top class :roll: I understand some fans disappointment at the sale of martinez but I cannot understand the outrage at the decision - dress it up any way you like, martinez is a 27 year old keeper who has had 15 good games in 10 years at the club, and most managers will look at the situation and see Leno as the safer choice
He's had barely more than 15 chances to prove himself, let's face it Wenger couldn't spot defensive talent if it smacked him in the face. That is pretty obvious now, and when Emery came in and Arsenal bought Leno the only way he was going to get a lookin was through an injury.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emi Martinez has completed his £20m move to Aston Villa this afternoon. He has signed a four-year contract. https://t.co/Y5T2YAvr0u

Multiple sources confirming Villa ended up meeting Arsenal's £20m asking price for Emi in the end, following two rejected bids and late interest from Brighton.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson about to sign for AFC. Goal keeper plays for Dijon.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:45 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am
TeeCee wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am
He has a few good games and there are people calling for him to be number 1 over a keeper who was one of our best players last season.

Crazy stuff

Spot on mate. Martinez has looked good for 6 months in a 10 year playing career! :shock: Yet some people would say he's suddenly one of the best keepers in the PL. Bizarre. Leno has been excellent for us and did nothing to deserve to be dropped. Martinez has found his level at Villa to be honest. He struggled in the championship for years!!
Leno was nowhere near being our best player last season. The facts are that Auba excelled everyone else underperformed.

Not sure why anyone is putting him on a pedestal he's not even world-class. Surely one of Germany's worst international goalkeepers in a while. WIth regards to Martinez, it looks like we are potentially signing Raya from Brentford. Well there goes £10m of the money that should have been earmarked for Partey and no sign of any departures. Laca doesn't want to leave, nor does Bellerin by the sounds of it.

Seriously ?? Argentina havent had 1 quality keeper in well over a decade and yet your man martinez was never even suggested until 2 months ago :roll: If we sold martinez 6 months ago we would have been lucky to get a mars bar and a packet of crisps and a lot of fans would have been wondering who he was, and now after 15 games we have fans labelling him as top class :roll: I understand some fans disappointment at the sale of martinez but I cannot understand the outrage at the decision - dress it up any way you like, martinez is a 27 year old keeper who has had 15 good games in 10 years at the club, and most managers will look at the situation and see Leno as the safer choice
He's had barely more than 15 chances to prove himself, let's face it Wenger couldn't spot defensive talent if it smacked him in the face. That is pretty obvious now, and when Emery came in and Arsenal bought Leno the only way he was going to get a lookin was through an injury.

And in those 10 years, and after those SIX loans spells, did ANY CLUB come in with an offer to buy him ? Not one club wanted him. Not any of the clubs that he played with, or any of the clubs he played against. That's a lot of clubs that didnt see enough quality in him

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Is he cheap cos we need martinez's transfer money to strengthen other areas

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

mcdowell42 wrote:
I wonder if he will cut the mustard :oops: I'll grab my coat :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:41 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Is he cheap cos we need martinez's transfer money to strengthen other areas

The Telegraph report #Arsenal have held talks with French club Dijon over a deal for Icelandic goalkeeper Alex Rúnarsson. He is expected to cost around £1.5m. https://t.co/JI5RN4VDZZ

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Hmm so we go from a £20M backup to a £1.5M one, is Wenger back in charge :rubchin:

I hope Leno is 100% over his injury because this is risky business :roll: