*Red bin dipping murdering filth A Mon 28th Sept KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: *Red bin dipping murdering filth A Mon 28th Sept KO 8pm

Post by augie »

Fair enough retro, but let me ask you why you feel that you can judge martinez on basis of 3 months and ignore the other 9 years and 9 months ? :? As I said, he could well become a quality keeper (and I wish him well), but several clubs and managers (not just ours) didnt believe he wasnt good enough, and over a 9+ year career with us that would scare the bejesus out of me

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:18 am
Fair enough retro, but let me ask you why you feel that you can judge martinez on basis of 3 months and ignore the other 9 years and 9 months ? :? As I said, he could well become a quality keeper (and I wish him well), but several clubs and managers (not just ours) didnt believe he wasnt good enough, and over a 9+ year career with us that would scare the bejesus out of me

To be honest, I can't answer that. It's a fair point, but like most supporters, I'd seen almost nothing of him and certainly not enough to formulate any opinion. Like you, I was always concerned that he might have to come off the bench to replace a keeper, or indeed get a run of games, because my feeling was that a decent keeper would not have lingered around a club, rarely playing, for all those years.

However, those games after lockdown were a total revelation to me. I honestly couldn't believe how good he was. Someone posted some stats on here and after lockdown he was comfortably the league's best keeper...although I trust my own eyes more than I trust stats tbh. A keeper can have a lucky game, or even a short run of games, where everything goes his way and every effort hits him somehow, even though it all looks slapdash. That wasn't what I saw with Emi. You can't get lucky over 12 or so games and it was his manner in goal. It wasn't chaotic with balls miraculously flying off him, it was measured, calm and commanding. I can't remember when I last saw an Arsenal keeper dominant his area so well and catch the ball so assuredly...including shots. When top saves were required, he made them...Rodders posted a video of a save against Liverpool that was world class.

Watching Leno the other night, with his unconvincing punching and parrying was a stark contrast for me. As it stands, I'd have kept Emi. Still, who knows, time will tell and Martinez might prove to be a disaster at Villa. We'll see.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hello chaps - hope all is well. Bit of a break between posts.

I don't think any of us could truly be surprised by this result? As much as I hate the murdering bastards with every bone in my body, it is undeniable that they are one of the best teams in modern history with almost 100 points in not winning the league, and then running away with it last year. They were at least 3-1 better than us despite Lacazette's missed chances and our ability to have stayed in the game for much longer than we have done in recent years. There isn't a coach out there who could have managed our XI to a win against them in that form. There's a reason they finished 40 odd points above us and the game simply highlighted that. Any talk about selections or substitutions would be wasted such is the gap in class

City are in a mess and when I look below them I see fragilities in United, Chavski, Spuds and just about every other so called top 4 contender.

The worry for me is the midfield now - there isn't a goalscorer or natural creator amongst them, and the holding options of Xhaka and Elneny are woefully underwhelming. How Torreira can't be fancied ahead of either of those is still a mystery to me. If Partey and Ooh-Arr joined we might have genuine top 4 prospects. Without those additions it will be tough as we are desperately short of quality in that area

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:46 pm
Hello chaps - hope all is well. Bit of a break between posts.

I don't think any of us could truly be surprised by this result? As much as I hate the murdering bastards with every bone in my body, it is undeniable that they are one of the best teams in modern history with almost 100 points in not winning the league, and then running away with it last year. They were at least 3-1 better than us despite Lacazette's missed chances and our ability to have stayed in the game for much longer than we have done in recent years. There isn't a coach out there who could have managed our XI to a win against them in that form. There's a reason they finished 40 odd points above us and the game simply highlighted that. Any talk about selections or substitutions would be wasted such is the gap in class

City are in a mess and when I look below them I see fragilities in United, Chavski, Spuds and just about every other so called top 4 contender.

The worry for me is the midfield now - there isn't a goalscorer or natural creator amongst them, and the holding options of Xhaka and Elneny are woefully underwhelming. How Torreira can't be fancied ahead of either of those is still a mystery to me. If Partey and Ooh-Arr joined we might have genuine top 4 prospects. Without those additions it will be tough as we are desperately short of quality in that area

It really has amazed me how little attention or the almost zero unhappiness/anger there has been amongst fans at that decision :shock: :shock: Please dont anyone give me any crap about how he hasnt settled or wants out, cos that is all about what he wants or doesnt want - what we want is a successful team and there is no doubt that even an unsettled torreira is miles better than either of those two, so as long as he is at the club he should be ahead of them in the pecking order. Torreira isnt like guendouzi in that he hasnt caused any trouble so there is no reason that I can see why the fans wouldnt be publicly calling for his inclusion, but yet we say nothing :?

Btw, I still feel embarrassed at the criticism of guendouzi and this so called trouble maker bu.llshit - as a Gooner of some 40+ years I have seen many players do far, far worse than grab a sneaky french c.unt by the throat at the end of the match, and been labelled a hero because of it, but he has been ostrcised by arteta and his modern soft pc agenda :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Augie there's no way Torreira is going to be put in the team when he's on the brink of a transfer, it just ain't gonna happen. He's 95% out the door and they're not going to run the risk of him getting injured between now and the window closing.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:26 pm
Augie there's no way Torreira is going to be put in the team when he's on the brink of a transfer, it just ain't gonna happen. He's 95% out the door and they're not going to run the risk of him getting injured between now and the window closing.

You reckon ? All I see is rumours of clubs wanting to loan (not buy) him

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Atletico all but done by all accounts.......

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Atletico all but done by all accounts.......

Until I see it confirmed by mcdowell I wont believe it 8) :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sorry my quote button is fucked atm.

Augie I don't think the problem Arteta has with Dozer is his grabbing said cùnt by the throat. I think it's the players alleged overall bad attitude in training etc.....

Interesting that you seem convinced that Ozil is a bad apple in the camp but choose not to make the same judgement on Dozer..... if I didn't know you better I'd be saying things like "agenda" cough cough.... :D :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The Torriera situation is baffling but I have to agree with Rodders to a degree, he is one of the few players who we might actually make a decent amount of money from if sold so needs to be wrapped in cotton wool, but there is another side to it, there have been rumours for a long time that he has failed to settle in London and it may be that it isnt a case of Arteta not wanting to play him but him not wanting to play, we all think footballers are professionals and always want to play and play well but Ozil is a prime example of a talented individual seemingly happy to sit on his arse and earn his money when things aren't going his way.

Face it we're stuck with Fannybulge and Elninny unless a miracle happens, at least for the foreseeable future

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:48 pm
Sorry my quote button is fucked atm.

Augie I don't think the problem Arteta has with Dozer is his grabbing said cùnt by the throat. I think it's the players alleged overall bad attitude in training etc.....

Interesting that you seem convinced that Ozil is a bad apple in the camp but choose not to make the same judgement on Dozer..... if I didn't know you better I'd be saying things like "agenda" cough cough.... :D :wink:

I'm not against the agenda slur actually :lol: :lol:

There are three key differences in the ozil and guendouzi situations imo -

1. Guendouzi is young and impetuous - maybe time wont fix that, but I'd like to think that at his age the right manager can mould him into being a proper pro and a good footballer

2. Money - I could sit here and ignore the finances, but the reality is that ozil is on a massive wedge and with that comes responsibilities, and he hasnt been meeting those imo

3. Personally I think that ozil has been here long enough now and has had more than enough chances to show that he can be useful to us and has failed to do so.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:22 pm
The Torriera situation is baffling but I have to agree with Rodders to a degree, he is one of the few players who we might actually make a decent amount of money from if sold so needs to be wrapped in cotton wool, but there is another side to it, there have been rumours for a long time that he has failed to settle in London and it may be that it isnt a case of Arteta not wanting to play him but him not wanting to play, we all think footballers are professionals and always want to play and play well but Ozil is a prime example of a talented individual seemingly happy to sit on his arse and earn his money when things aren't going his way.

Face it we're stuck with Fannybulge and Elninny unless a miracle happens, at least for the foreseeable future

I've (reluctantly) accepted that he is on his way out, but like I said to rodders earlier, all the rumoured interest in him seems to be loans or loan to buy and that is unacceptable imo. I really cannot see any benefit to AFC in letting torreira, guendouzi, sokratis or kolasniac go out on loan - it is one of those "show me the money" or fcuk off times imo cos we need money NOW

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

A few days behind but a few questions are raised for me. Why did Leno NOT come out and claim the ball that led to their decisive third goal? Luiz should not be making a clearing header from the edge of the 6 yard box, that must be the keeper's ball every time.
Interestingly, it was Xhaka who made way for Cellabos not Elneny. Has Arteta finally seen the light?
Lacazette, just put the ball in the net everytime, whether you are offside or not. He should have hit that second chance first time, but because he fannied about with it on the chance he was given offside for he hesitated. I remember Defoe saying he was getting coaching lessons from Wrighty on finishing and his goalscoring record improved. Laca give wrighty a call. They are similar in build and wrighty became our club record goalscorer in 7 seasons so he knows a thing or two.

Torreira is behind the other midfield three because he hasn't got the stamina to run for 90 minutes in the premier league. He's great for about 70 minutes but then runs out of steam. I thought he was the answer to our midfield problems but he just can't hack the intensity of the league. It is unfortunate but sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Remember when we mocked Liverpool for getting a throw in coach? Well, can we get him in to coach our lot. THREE foul throws from Premier League players is totally and utterly unacceptable.

Tierney is a fantastic LWB please can he play there?

Apart from that, it was good to see an Arsenal team give a decent account of themselves at anfield for the first time is God knows how long. However, it cannot be underestimated just how good Liverpool played, they were back on their game. And they upped their game, because we are a tougher team to play against then we used to be. We are on the right path, and the way liverpool played against us, shows they taking us seriously. Something some Arsenal supporters haven't got on board with yet.

augie

Post by augie »

augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Oh Rodders - time to start checking the quality of your sources methinks :wink: :lol: :lol: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:54 am
A few days behind but a few questions are raised for me. Why did Leno NOT come out and claim the ball that led to their decisive third goal? Luiz should not be making a clearing header from the edge of the 6 yard box, that must be the keeper's ball every time.
Interestingly, it was Xhaka who made way for Cellabos not Elneny. Has Arteta finally seen the light?
Lacazette, just put the ball in the net everytime, whether you are offside or not. He should have hit that second chance first time, but because he fannied about with it on the chance he was given offside for he hesitated. I remember Defoe saying he was getting coaching lessons from Wrighty on finishing and his goalscoring record improved. Laca give wrighty a call. They are similar in build and wrighty became our club record goalscorer in 7 seasons so he knows a thing or two.

Torreira is behind the other midfield three because he hasn't got the stamina to run for 90 minutes in the premier league. He's great for about 70 minutes but then runs out of steam. I thought he was the answer to our midfield problems but he just can't hack the intensity of the league. It is unfortunate but sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Remember when we mocked Liverpool for getting a throw in coach? Well, can we get him in to coach our lot. THREE foul throws from Premier League players is totally and utterly unacceptable.

Tierney is a fantastic LWB please can he play there?

Apart from that, it was good to see an Arsenal team give a decent account of themselves at anfield for the first time is God knows how long. However, it cannot be underestimated just how good Liverpool played, they were back on their game. And they upped their game, because we are a tougher team to play against then we used to be. We are on the right path, and the way liverpool played against us, shows they taking us seriously. Something some Arsenal supporters haven't got on board with yet.

Buddy I respect you and your posts even though I often disagree with them, but I am seriously not having that - we were dogshi.t and created one chance in the whole game that laca fcuked up on :roll: You say that the victims played well, and I say that they played well within themselves - their full backs were not as prominent as usual, firminho was anonymous and thiago wasnt even playing. Salah had his best game in a long time, but other than that I felt that they were in 3rd or maybe 4th gear