The End of International Football? Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

The End of International Football? Merged thread.

Post by Nos89 »

The playing of the UCL and UEL at the end of the season will herald a new season ending football tournament that will see the end of international football as we know it. It makes more sense to complete the last 32/16 of each tournament in a four week period at the end of the season rather than intermittently during the football season. It will replace the Euros and possibly the World Cup.
There will less of the demands of playing mid week and weekend and the national leagues will benefit as the players are fresher and possible reduce the risk of muscular injuries which can damage and pre-maturely end a players career. I'm all for it and see it as progressive rather than a hinderance.

CloakedGooner

Re: The End of International Football?

Post by CloakedGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:45 pm
The playing of the UCL and UEL at the end of the season will herald a new season ending football tournament that will see the end of international football as we know it. It makes more sense to complete the last 32/16 of each tournament in a four week period at the end of the season rather than intermittently during the football season. It will replace the Euros and possibly the World Cup.
There will less of the demands of playing mid week and weekend and the national leagues will benefit as the players are fresher and possible reduce the risk of muscular injuries which can damage and pre-maturely end a players career. I'm all for it and see it as progressive rather than a hinderance.
Well this is the biggest pile of nonsense I've read for quite some time :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The end of international football for Oireland and Scotland happened a while back now didn't it ?? :D :barscarf: :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 pm
The end of international football for Oireland and Scotland happened a while back now didn't it ?? :D :barscarf: :wink:
Not sure SteveO , didn't notice . Zero interest in it..

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Like many on here have no real interest in international football,rarely know who is playing who be it England or here in Ireand.

I just saw the news round up from last nights games and a guy called Daniel Ballard made his debut he is a Arsenal player a mile away from the first team, mad to think you get a international debut before being near the first team.

I read a article about him and a really interesting story,fair play to the lad hope he makes a decent career for himself, doubt it will be with us.

https://dailycannon.com/2019/03/daniel-ballard-arsenal/

John F

Post by John F »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:35 am
Like many on here have no real interest in international football,rarely know who is playing who be it England or here in Ireand.

I just saw the news round up from last nights games and a guy called Daniel Ballard made his debut he is a Arsenal player a mile away from the first team, mad to think you get a international debut before being near the first team.

I read a article about him and a really interesting story,fair play to the lad hope he makes a decent career for himself, doubt it will be with us.

There was a lot of positive talk about him at one stage I think he was made captain of the youth side.Interesting fact about the name Ballard as the name is in my family tree.Ballard originated from
the middle ages and was slang for being bald and guess what I'm a baldy.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

John F wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 am
Topside Northbank wrote:

There was a lot of positive talk about him at one stage I think he was made captain of the youth side.Interesting fact about the name Ballard as the name is in my family tree.Ballard originated from

This fact is far more interesting than anything to do with international football. So you are a baldy :rubchin:

Personally I hoped that the other guys would win....the Wanderers wasn't it :wink: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

John F wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 am
Topside Northbank wrote:

On here we call that being an "augie". :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Under the present circumstances it is no longer a spectator sport and after the dire Iceland - England match when supporters are allowed back they will have to force people back through the doors.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I actually staggered that the Nations League is still going ahead this season.

Why are we even considering international breaks during a global pandemic!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fucking interlull..... :yawn:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

The only interesting thing is seeing which self indulgent fuckwit can fuck up next.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:14 am
I actually staggered that the Nations League is still going ahead this season.

Why are we even considering international breaks during a global pandemic!!
I thought the whole purpose of the Nations League was to have some competitive internationals instead of friendlies, and in particular to have a fill in mini tournament in between Euros and World Cups. However, on the back of the reserve teams fielded this week and the Euros now being put back to 2021, you'd have to question why the fuck it is going ahead? Even Scotland managed to beat the 11 blokes that the Czech Republic dragged out of the pub before kick off !

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A thoroughly entertaining set of penalties this evening

The Scummer misses from the spot for Oireland....all very unfortunate :D :D

Nice run out for our third string against Wales too. ING-ER-LUND ING-ER-LUND ING-ER-LUND

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

:box: :box: :box: :wink: