European Super League

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Topside Northbank

European Super League

Post by Topside Northbank »

Yes led by you guessed it Man United and Liverpool and their American owners both clubs along with others including us, City, Chelsea and Tottenham in talks for a 18 team league.

Could start 2022 announced the day the Champions league starts, greedy c :censored: all involved, would render the European competitions worthless.

Football and greed know's no end off the back off a pandemic and testing the water with PPV games on top of subscriptions the game and financial greed is out of control, terrible idea 18 teams and initial membership for 20 years with mooted no relegation,awful. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Perryashburtongroves

Re: European Super League

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Yes led by you guessed it Man United and Liverpool and their American owners both clubs along with others including us, City, Chelsea and Tottenham in talks for a 18 team league.

Could start 2022 announced the day the Champions league starts, greedy c :censored: all involved, would render the European competitions worthless.

Football and greed know's no end off the back off a pandemic and testing the water with PPV games on top of subscriptions the game and financial greed is out of control, terrible idea 18 teams and initial membership for 20 years with mooted no relegation,awful. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
They've been on about this for 25 years. It's hard not to see this as a direct response to the straight out rejection of the new Premier League plans which came out last week. The Chumps League is also up for revision in a couple of years time and this may very well be the extreme option which has been 'leaked' with a view to agreeing on a more moderate deal in six months' time.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

If it replaces the CL it will just be a bit shit but if it replaces local national leagues like the PL in England I'll be done with football. :roll:

I have fuck all connection with Juventus or the Whores or PSG, fuck all history, fuck all tribal style rivalry the way I do with the scum or the whammers or fuck it even the likes of Stoke. :box:

I'm a fan of English football. I'm not a generic soccer fan. FOAD. :censored:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 pm
If it replaces the CL it will just be a bit shit but if it replaces local national leagues like the PL in England I'll be done with football. :roll:

I have fuck all connection with Juventus or the Whores or PSG, fuck all history, fuck all tribal style rivalry the way I do with the scum or the whammers or fuck it even the likes of Stoke. :box:

I'm a fan of English football. I'm not a generic soccer fan. FOAD. :censored:
Pl is due to continue, this competition will supersede the CL. It's FIFA driven with the usual suspects including Manure and Pool on board.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/euro ... TO=newsnow

You can see now why Pool and Manure wanted the PL numbers trimmed. Wankers, and I am sure Kroenke will be all in favour of the proposals if we are invited in. Amazing how football has no shame in the middle of a global pandemic when there is real suffering.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

this is inevitable at some point. as such im just annoyed it wasnt done 10 years ago and the scum would be locked out as wouldnt have a hope in being invited unless dirty joe got up to his 'alleged' tricks again, as the small time club they are. this minor blip of recent 'success'* doesnt mean they should be involved.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:40 pm
this is inevitable at some point. as such im just annoyed it wasnt done 10 years ago and the scum would be locked out as wouldnt have a hope in being invited unless dirty joe got up to his 'alleged' tricks again, as the small time club they are. this minor blip of recent 'success'* doesnt mean they should be involved.
How can a team that hasn't won the league in 60 years be included in a European super league

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm
How can a team that hasn't won the league in 60 years be included in a European super league
how can a club who uniquely got upward of 200m of tax payers money, and then miraculously went on a transfer splurge face 0 media scrutiny on it. such is life with them. scandalous and shameless in equal measure

edit - not to mention being the only club in the topflight to furlough employees

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
I don't think they will.... article I read last night reckoned if this abortion happens then it would only be 5 of the PL "big 6" clubs that would be invited and then it asked the abysmally loaded question of who would miss out?

Um probably the only one of those 6 teams that hasn't won the league in 60 years...... :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The fucking treacherous c.unts are trying to make a power grab now that everyone’s distracted by the covid apocalypse. Fucking diseased money grabbing vermin bastards.

No surprise to see the fucking yanks as the main drivers of this, absolutely fucked any sport they ever got their hands on.

There needs to be a serious push back against these fuckers. They tried that game 39 bullshit a few years back, last week’s debacle where they wanted to shit all over the league structure and now this.

Fucking leeches need to be driven out of the game staring with our own fucking dickhead.

So in summation, it’s a no from me 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:01 am
The fucking treacherous c.unts are trying to make a power grab now that everyone’s distracted by the covid apocalypse. Fucking diseased money grabbing vermin bastards.

No surprise to see the fucking yanks as the main drivers of this, absolutely fucked any sport they ever got their hands on.

There needs to be a serious push back against these fuckers. They tried that game 39 bullshit a few years back, last week’s debacle where they wanted to shit all over the league structure and now this.

Fucking leeches need to be driven out of the game staring with our own fucking dickhead.

So in summation, it’s a no from me 8)
Agree, the "big two" of the "big six" tried last week to clear the decks for this. Reduce teams in Premier League, get rid of League Cup, reduce the ability of clubs outside the bubble to challenge by having a veto on take overs.
I thought last week's proposal was a precursor for a European Super League, but seems now it was to run in conjunction with a European Super League.
No relegation for twenty years in the European Super League, if I read that correctly. It may be sold as being the future of football, but it is the lining of pockets.
Hate both of the proposals floated in the last week. Whatever happens our Yanks will look for the biggest return on the smallest investment.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't think they will.... article I read last night reckoned if this abortion happens then it would only be 5 of the PL "big 6" clubs that would be invited and then it asked the abysmally loaded question of who would miss out?

Um probably the only one of those 6 teams that hasn't won the league in 60 years...... :lol:

Yet on the BBC news last night on their coverage of the story they showed footage of one team , strangely the one that hasn't won the league for 60 years.

Be aware of the power of the media. that would love revenge for Henry Norris.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:33 am

Yet on the BBC news last night on their coverage of the story they showed footage of one team , strangely the one that hasn't won the league for 60 years.

Be aware of the power of the media. that would love revenge for Henry Norris.
:lol:

But does anyone even vaguely take the BBC seriously anymore....? :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

From what I've picked up on TV (not the beeb of course) I got the gist that this would replace the current CL set up only. I have no issue with hacking away some of the dross that feature in the group stages. UEFA have continued to inflate the competition for their own purposes so I'm all for anything which pokes them in the eye.

There does need to be some promotion / relegation and that could easily be achieved with a mini tournament between contenders.

We and others were involved in superleague talks as far back as the 1990s as I recall, before the American owners became involved :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am
From what I've picked up on TV (not the beeb of course) I got the gist that this would replace the current CL set up only. I have no issue with hacking away some of the dross that feature in the group stages. UEFA have continued to inflate the competition for their own purposes so I'm all for anything which pokes them in the eye.

There does need to be some promotion / relegation and that could easily be achieved with a mini tournament between contenders.

We and others were involved in superleague talks as far back as the 1990s as I recall, before the American owners became involved :rubchin:
Replacing the champions league my hairy hole, there will be 16 -18 teams involved, home and away games - you're looking at 30+ games a season. How do you think that's gonna affect the domestic league? I'll tell ya how..... it's gonna fuck it right in the arsehole.

If this thing gets the green light it will be the death of domestic football.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

But the scary thing is that modern journos think that the spuds are an elite club. Some almost suggesting a bigger club than us!