Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Where will we finish

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Seriously, who cares, football has become a disease, while the world suffers from this epidemic and people lose their jobs in astronomical numbers players in the top leagues are still getting huge pay rises while no one is allowed to watch them and clubs take huge hits.

I hope football goes bust, fuck em, how much do you think kroenke and all these other club owners care about you, let alone the self obsessed ego maniac players.

You may as well go watch your local small town play, theyvat least have some supporters in the ground

Long live la revolution

falkirk goon

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by falkirk goon »

I see mystify is on Pravda licking artetas bumcrack :oops: fucking nauseating :roll: ffs it was xhaka last week bumming up partey and this week it's this German fannyfart tongueing artetas groove :oops:
Thus pair of teats don't look like they're going anywhere fast and for that it's a arteta out from me..

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He has been given as much money as Emery was given at the start of his first season - £75m invested in Partey, Gabriel and Pablo Mari, plus smaller fees for the keeper and a substantial investment in signing on fees and wages in Willian

Emery spent just over £70m on Leno, Sokratis, Torreira and Guendouzi, with a big investment in wages in Lichsteiner

Remember the deal - 1 point off the Champions League places and losing the Europa League final is failure......unless the FA Cup win last season has now allowed more time and lower standards in league standings and Europa?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:47 pm
I see mystify is on Pravda licking artetas bumcrack :oops: fucking nauseating :roll: ffs it was xhaka last week bumming up partey and this week it's this German fannyfart tongueing artetas groove :oops:
Thus pair of teats don't look like they're going anywhere fast and for that it's a arteta out from me..
Couldn't be arsed to read beyond the headline that said "I've never had such detailed training sessions"

Unless those training sessions involved being specifically asked to stand 10 yards away from Vardy, doesn't seem as if they're having much impact

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

There's a few of us on here that are beginning to think that we've got Wenger Mkll as manager. If evidence were needed, his interview on MOTD was an eye opener. He talked about us being in complete control in the first half and that in the second, Leicester dropped back even deeper and waited to pounce on any mistake we made.

Couple of points :

1. We certainly had an abundance of first half possession, but did very little with it. How often did we seriously test their keeper? They were perfectly relaxed about letting us have possession, comfortably handling the very little we threw at them. Worryingly, our threat reduced further when Luiz went off injured....it says a lot when a centre back is the most creative weapon you seem to have on the pitch !

2. From where I was sitting, Leicester didn't retreat further in the second half, but conversely, posed an increasingly greater threat. Once Vardy came on, most of us knew what was coming.

3. For pretty much the first time, we saw Arteta look irritated and ungracious....typical characteristics of the Old Fraud. I also fear that he has the same stubborn streak and will stick by his favourites...in this case Xhaka and apparently Mustafi....regardless of how pony that continue to be. If he's a Wenger clone, then the worse they get and the more criticism they come in for, the more he'll refuse to act and to drop them. Wenger refused to accept that he could make mistakes and there's no bigger character flaw. I sincerely hope Arteta doesn't share it.

4. It might not be too long now before we hear about "illusory domination" and "special circumstances", at which point our worst fears will be confirmed. :) 8) As I've said before, I can't shake the feeling that Arteta speaks to Wenger and takes advice and I was thinking that before lockdown. If things continue in the current vein and the pressure mounts in the next few weeks, then we'll get a clearer view of what sort of bloke we've got at the helm. I'm not optimistic.

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 pm
There's a few of us on here that are beginning to think that we've got Wenger Mkll as manager. If evidence were needed, his interview on MOTD was an eye opener. He talked about us being in complete control in the first half and that in the second, Leicester dropped back even deeper and waited to pounce on any mistake we made.

Couple of points :

1. We certainly had an abundance of first half possession, but did very little with it. How often did we seriously test their keeper? They were perfectly relaxed about letting us have possession, comfortably handling the very little we threw at them. Worryingly, our threat reduced further when Luiz went off injured....it says a lot when a centre back is the most creative weapon you seem to have on the pitch !

2. From where I was sitting, Leicester didn't retreat further in the second half, but conversely, posed an increasingly greater threat. Once Vardy came on, most of us knew what was coming.

3. For pretty much the first time, we saw Arteta look irritated and ungracious....typical characteristics of the Old Fraud. I also fear that he has the same stubborn streak and will stick by his favourites...in this case Xhaka and apparently Mustafi....regardless of how pony that continue to be. If he's a Wenger clone, then the worse they get and the more criticism they come in for, the more he'll refuse to act and to drop them. Wenger refused to accept that he could make mistakes and there's no bigger character flaw. I sincerely hope Arteta doesn't share it.

4. It might not be too long now before we hear about "illusory domination" and "special circumstances", at which point our worst fears will be confirmed. :) 8) As I've said before, I can't shake the feeling that Arteta speaks to Wenger and takes advice and I was thinking that before lockdown. If things continue in the current vein and the pressure mounts in the next few weeks, then we'll get a clearer view of what sort of bloke we've got at the helm. I'm not optimistic.

Made him captain tonight - ultimate 2 fingers to the fans :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Couple of points :

Made him captain tonight - ultimate 2 fingers to the fans :cussing:
Fucking shameful. :censored:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I will afford him the same time as Emery, but some of these decisions- particularly leaving Saliba out of a squad playing Molde, Dundalk and Rapid, and favour the likes of Mustafi, and even playing Xhaka there instead- as mystifying and maddening as it gets

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

When I hear the words internal transfer market from his lips, then I will know he's been speaking to Wenger.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:32 pm
When I hear the words internal transfer market from his lips, then I will know he's been speaking to Wenger.
If he's said that then the men with white coats need to be called in

Mind you making Xhaka captain, we must be close to an inspirational quote about "rotational leadership" like the original wise one

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 pm
I will afford him the same time as Emery, but some of these decisions- particularly leaving Saliba out of a squad playing Molde, Dundalk and Rapid, and favour the likes of Mustafi, and even playing Xhaka there instead- as mystifying and maddening as it gets
In fairness to Arteta, he approved Saliba’s loan deal to St Etienne so probably trusted the contract bloke to get it sorted. All parties wanted it to happen so what could go wrong? :oops: :lol:

They’ve now got egg on their faces because it collapsed at the last minute, by which time the Europa league squad had already been announced. :lol:

That said, he obviously registered kolasinac even though he was likely to depart so maybe my logic here “doesn’t scan right” - nod to IHH there :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Hmmm.... I don't know tbh. I never wanted Night Fever Hair as manager - at this point in his career with zero experience - but I said I'd give him at least as long as Emery got.

But now? :rubchin:

At least with Emery initially it looked like he was improving us. That 22 game unbeaten run - despite some luck - was impressive. But Arteta looks clueless a good 12 months earlier than Emery did.

Do we have the time to pander to him? :rubchin:

We are off a top 4 spot by some distance at the moment and look to be creeping further away rather than closer to it each game tbh.

I felt after Emery we needed a proven top level manager. The punt we took on Arteta I think was more motivated by the Kroenke's thinking they could control a young novice manager more easily than a grizzled old vet with a string of successes behind him.

Which brings me back to the ultimate problem at our club and which was the ultimate problem even back in the later disastrous decade of Wenger's reign - the owner is a cùnt. :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
In fairness to Arteta, he approved Saliba’s loan deal to St Etienne so probably trusted the contract bloke to get it sorted. All parties wanted it to happen so what could go wrong? :oops: :lol:

They’ve now got egg on their faces because it collapsed at the last minute, by which time the Europa league squad had already been announced. :lol:

That said, he obviously registered kolasinac even though he was likely to depart so maybe my logic here “doesn’t scan right” - nod to IHH there :wink:
Decent referencing there mate. 8) I miss old Hlebby. :(

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Which brings me back to the point that at his pre-match press conference he gushed about saliba's recent improvement in settling in and learning the language, when he was keen to send him back to france two weeks ago where he would if anything have regressed in his efforts to adapt to AFC and london :? There is no logic to sending a guy on loan to france unless you dont rate or want him - arteta is clueless and a pr bullshitter :evil:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:53 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Hmmm.... I don't know tbh. I never wanted Night Fever Hair as manager - at this point in his career with zero experience - but I said I'd give him at least as long as Emery got.

But now? :rubchin:

At least with Emery initially it looked like he was improving us. That 22 game unbeaten run - despite some luck - was impressive. But Arteta looks clueless a good 12 months earlier than Emery did.

Do we have the time to pander to him? :rubchin:

We are off a top 4 spot by some distance at the moment and look to be creeping further away rather than closer to it each game tbh.

I felt after Emery we needed a proven top level manager. The punt we took on Arteta I think was more motivated by the Kroenke's thinking they could control a young novice manager more easily than a grizzled old vet with a string of successes behind him.

Which brings me back to the ultimate problem at our club and which was the ultimate problem even back in the later disastrous decade of Wenger's reign - the owner is a cùnt. :censored:

I think most of us wanted ancelotti appointed at that time - some new age romantics (moron's :roll: ) liked the idea of a fresh faced rookie bringing what he learned from pep with him (I hear the placing of the cones has improved massively :wink: ), but most of us recognised that where we are as a club right now, we needed an experienced manager to come in and turn things around