Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:55 am
g88ner wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:45 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 pm
I will afford him the same time as Emery, but some of these decisions- particularly leaving Saliba out of a squad playing Molde, Dundalk and Rapid, and favour the likes of Mustafi, and even playing Xhaka there instead- as mystifying and maddening as it gets
In fairness to Arteta, he approved Saliba’s loan deal to St Etienne so probably trusted the contract bloke to get it sorted. All parties wanted it to happen so what could go wrong? :oops: :lol:

They’ve now got egg on their faces because it collapsed at the last minute, by which time the Europa league squad had already been announced. :lol:

That said, he obviously registered kolasinac even though he was likely to depart so maybe my logic here “doesn’t scan right” - nod to IHH there :wink:
Decent referencing there mate. 8) I miss old Hlebby. :(
If only for the fact he was another admirer of old Twinkle Toes Abou.....feels lonely up here without him :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Mustaffi quoted today....."It is a huge club, that's why for me if I could stay at Arsenal, of course it would mean a lot to me.

“At the end of the day, it was important for me in the last three months to come back after the injury and to be ready to play and to help my team"

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:52 am
Mustaffi quoted today....."It is a huge club, that's why for me if I could stay at Arsenal, of course it would mean a lot to me.

“At the end of the day, it was important for me in the last three months to come back after the injury and to be ready to play and to help my team"
That's just fucking depressing

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

if this prick gets a new contract i'm done with this club till those in charge fuck off.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

New contracts for David Luiz, Mustafi, bring back Elneny but loan out Torreira. Decisions decisions........

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Huss Fahmy has left #AFC as part of the ongoing restructuring. Club will be hiring a head of football operations to fill the void on contract negotiations etc, but they won't be as senior. Arteta, Edu & Mertesacker leading the football side of the business.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arteta already making big mistakes.....with Mustaffi, Xaha and Ozil....these will be his downfall

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm
Arteta already making big mistakes.....with Mustaffi, Xaha and Ozil....these will be his downfall

And last season we had knobs on here telling me that arteta was playing them only cos he had no choice :roll:

Arteta values older more experienced players than younger players, and the evidence pile is getting bigger with each passing day

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm
Huss Fahmy has left #AFC as part of the ongoing restructuring. Club will be hiring a head of football operations to fill the void on contract negotiations etc, but they won't be as senior. Arteta, Edu & Mertesacker leading the football side of the business.

Last year there was somewhat of a revolution in the academy structure, and you look at it and acknowledge that they havent brought through too many players over the years so maybe the reshuffle is a good thing.
Not long after that there was changes on the top table management as mislintat departed, and even though you aint sure about this change, you tell yourself its for the best if all isnt happy behind scenes
Earlier this year there was a serious shake up and redundencies in the scouting department and alarm bells start to ring cos these guys are crucial in identifying new players to come into the club.
Now, for the second time in the space of a few months we have seen a departure from the power top table (all 3 from 18 months ago have now left), and you start to wonder wtf is going on over there ?? I'm not saying that it is the objective of these moves, but it is beginning to look like edu and arteta have created a nice little power vacumn there now - the kind of power hold that we allowed a french cock to have as he dragged us down further and further

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm
nothing on arsenal.com ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lose this weekend and I have the feeling we are starting to see the beginning of the end. Its all feeling a bit like Di Matteo's half a season at Chelsea which remarkably saw them win the Champions League (for us read FA Cup) by getting a short term reaction out of the players who had failed the previous manager. However, once the euphoria died down he was quickly found out to be too inexperienced and let down by the players who had failed before.

Arteta did a great job getting this bunch to somehow knock over Man City and Chavski to win the FA Cup and get us into Europe, but the league football if anything seems to be going backwards. I was shot down last season when I listed all the dull games he had overseen - and there were tons of them in between the cup wins - but there seems to be little different this season. We've lost 3 of the last 4 games in the league and never looked like getting that elusive away win at one of the top six, and the Leicester game was as pathetic as it got. The home games against Sheffield United and West Ham had 10 minutes of decent football in them at best

I don't really know what his philosophy is. If its making us hard to beat then I question why the fuck Mustafi is being offered a new deal, why Kolasinac still plays and why David Luiz got a year extension. GG swept aside practically all of our defenders when he took over and some big names too - Anderson, Sansom etc - and bought hungry lower league players like Bould, Winterburn and Dixon. Are we really saying we can't find the likes of them playing in the lower half of the PL or Championship and mould them into something coherent?

The philosophy certainly isn't playing expansive football, or a high press, or making use of set pieces. Is it a direct style, or a possession based style. When I watch us I honestly don't have a clue what the game plan is

herbert

Post by herbert »

I would say that so far he has been a success 8) at the end of the day it is all about our football clubs history and picking up trophys :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:47 pm
Lose this weekend and I have the feeling we are starting to see the beginning of the end. Its all feeling a bit like Di Matteo's half a season at Chelsea which remarkably saw them win the Champions League (for us read FA Cup) by getting a short term reaction out of the players who had failed the previous manager. However, once the euphoria died down he was quickly found out to be too inexperienced and let down by the players who had failed before.

Arteta did a great job getting this bunch to somehow knock over Man City and Chavski to win the FA Cup and get us into Europe, but the league football if anything seems to be going backwards. I was shot down last season when I listed all the dull games he had overseen - and there were tons of them in between the cup wins - but there seems to be little different this season. We've lost 3 of the last 4 games in the league and never looked like getting that elusive away win at one of the top six, and the Leicester game was as pathetic as it got. The home games against Sheffield United and West Ham had 10 minutes of decent football in them at best

I don't really know what his philosophy is. If its making us hard to beat then I question why the fuck Mustafi is being offered a new deal, why Kolasinac still plays and why David Luiz got a year extension. GG swept aside practically all of our defenders when he took over and some big names too - Anderson, Sansom etc - and bought hungry lower league players like Bould, Winterburn and Dixon. Are we really saying we can't find the likes of them playing in the lower half of the PL or Championship and mould them into something coherent?

The philosophy certainly isn't playing expansive football, or a high press, or making use of set pieces. Is it a direct style, or a possession based style. When I watch us I honestly don't have a clue what the game plan is

Arteta has no history or experience of getting raw/inexperienced players and coaching them up - his coaching experience was with ready made stars, and there was fcuk all he could bring to that table to make it better. If coaching was a big priority for arteta he would have grabbed players like guendouzi, saliba, nelson, saka etc and tried to develop them to be top players - instead he has pushed them out the door or to the sidelines in favour of senior players like xhaka, willian and mustafi.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:11 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 pm

And last season we had knobs on here telling me that arteta was playing them only cos he had no choice :roll:

Arteta values older more experienced players than younger players, and the evidence pile is getting bigger with each passing day
Two things here augster.

1. On numerous threads I have demonstrated how he is not favouring the older players and he is playing the young players - and playing them too often because most of them are fucking gash.

2. If he was refusing to play the young players (he's not) then I'd have a bit more faith in him tbh because those young players are fuc- you can see where I'm going here right? :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm
- instead he has pushed them out the door or to the sidelines in favour of senior players like xhaka, willian and mustafi.
cough horseshit cough :wink: