Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

IW8Goalmachine

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Probably won't be long until the players down tools again. They've done it before so it won't be a problem to them

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Point No.3 - doesnt that sound awfully like GG's last few seasons at the club where we had turned into a cup team that could beat anyone on their day, but a team that didnt have too many of those days in a season ? GG got sacked for allowing us turn into a mid-table cup team, but now this kind of performance is meant to be a good thing ?? :roll:
The other key difference is that in GG's early days he swept a lot of big time charlies out the door and replaced them with hungry young players
Not quite true there lads. GG was sacked because it saved the club having to pay him the agreed severance package. He had told the club a year earlier he was quitting and when the bung thing rose it's head the club used that as an excuse to sack him without the agreed package.

Also GG did not replace all those old big time charlies with hungry young players. He certainly replaced them with hungry players but the likes of Dicko, Smudger Bouldy, Marwood, Rico, Nutty (and later Wrighty) were all seasoned pros by the time he signed them. The key thing there probably - let's be honest - was they were also relatively cheap as far as signing fees and expected salaries. :wink:

And yep he did promote great young talent like Rocky, Merse and Adams but he didn't just clear out all the deadwood and replace it with youth.

Pedantic? A little bit yep - but fuck both of you the truth matters! :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 pm
Probably won't be long until the players down tools again. They've done it before so it won't be a problem to them
Can we blame it all on lazy bad egg bottler Ozil this time too?! :barscarf:

What?! No?! :shock: Because Arteta has "gotten rid of him"? :shock:

Ignore me I'm just acting the cùnt. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Should point out that what I'm saying about GG above is in no way meant to detract from what he did for, and achieved with, the club.

While Wenger may be our most successful manager GG for me is our greatest ever manager. I love the man. 8)

And while some Gooners hate on him for the job he took with the scum I've long gotten over it and forgiven him for it. He did it to say "fuck you" to our board for scapegoating him to save a few quid at a time when most managers were taking bungs. :censored:

I look on GG at the scum much like a really fit bird you've been banging who just after you dump her then starts banging that local arsehole you hate and let's you know she is and then a few years after she has left him you meet up again in a cafe somewhere and you only remember the good bits about her and forget that she banged that inbred twat and you maybe slip her a finger under the table for old times sake. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:57 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Point No.3 - doesnt that sound awfully like GG's last few seasons at the club where we had turned into a cup team that could beat anyone on their day, but a team that didnt have too many of those days in a season ? GG got sacked for allowing us turn into a mid-table cup team, but now this kind of performance is meant to be a good thing ?? :roll:
The other key difference is that in GG's early days he swept a lot of big time charlies out the door and replaced them with hungry young players
Not quite true there lads. GG was sacked because it saved the club having to pay him the agreed severance package. He had told the club a year earlier he was quitting and when the bung thing rose it's head the club used that as an excuse to sack him without the agreed package.

Also GG did not replace all those old big time charlies with hungry young players. He certainly replaced them with hungry players but the likes of Dicko, Smudger Bouldy, Marwood, Rico, Nutty (and later Wrighty) were all seasoned pros by the time he signed them. The key thing there probably - let's be honest - was they were also relatively cheap as far as signing fees and expected salaries. :wink:

And yep he did promote great young talent like Rocky, Merse and Adams but he didn't just clear out all the deadwood and replace it with youth.

Pedantic? A little bit yep - but fuck both of you the truth matters! :lol: :wink:
Whatever the circumstances for GG's departure from the club, I'd say it makes the decision a lot easier when the club is playing awful mid-table football than it would have been had it come a few years earlier when we were winning titles, and that's my point with Arteta and the 'style' thing. If its winning football it gains forgiveness, when it isn't it is an easy stick to beat a manager with

The point also remains that Arteta hasn't blooded a single new youth talent in approaching a year as manager - the younger players are ones either blooded by Wenger or Emery. Is that because the Academy was consistently wonderful when those two were managers and all of a sudden in 10 months has rapidly gone downhill??? I very much doubt it.

I'm sure if I started some sort of poll on here to work out who our most despised players are right now I'd say Xhaka, Mustafi and Willian would feature pretty prominently. The first two were dead ducks waiting to be shipped out under Emery, if only on loan initially, and are now a regular feature of the side and the third has been fucking awful in every match played since the opening day and is probably in the top 3 earners at the club.

The truth indeed does matter

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:59 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Ignore me I'm just a cùnt. :lol:

Thought the same :wink: :lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 am
Should point out that what I'm saying about GG above is in no way meant to detract from what he did for, and achieved with, the club.

While Wenger may be our most successful manager GG for me is our greatest ever manager. I love the man. 8)

And while some Gooners hate on him for the job he took with the scum I've long gotten over it and forgiven him for it. He did it to say "fuck you" to our board for scapegoating him to save a few quid at a time when most managers were taking bungs. :censored:

I look on GG at the scum much like a really fit bird you've been banging who just after you dump her then starts banging that local arsehole you hate and let's you know she is and then a few years after she has left him you meet up again in a cafe somewhere and you only remember the good bits about her and forget that she banged that inbred twat and you maybe slip her a finger under the table for old times sake. 8)

What, was one of your ex's banged by Herd then ?? :shock: :shock:

No wonder it kicks off with you two on occasion !

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Ignore me I'm just a cùnt. :lol:

Thought the same :wink: :lol: :lol:
:barscarf: :lol:

Bastard. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

A bit harsh on poor old Herdy. :(

Also I was referring to er...... a friend not me yeah um..... a friend. :D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

Good to see the great TA6 questioning arteta's tactics and the effect it is having on the players 8)

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/premier ... d=msedgntp

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Also I was referring to er...... a friend not me yeah um..... a friend. :D :wink:

I'm hoping he doesn't see it....otherwise I'll get a visit ! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm hoping he doesn't see it....otherwise I'll get a visit ! :lol:
:lol:

He can get pwoppah nawty! :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

put your scarf on, Herd’s never boshed a scarfer :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:52 am
put your scarf on, Herd’s never boshed a scarfer :barscarf:

Good point Sid, I'll dig the old scarf out. How about my 1970 replica shirt...good idea or not?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Ignore me I'm just acting the cùnt. :lol:
I'll organise a poll! :D