Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:18 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:19 pm
I'll stick this in here, rather than start a new thread, but it really is a case of "Modern Society Bollocks", rather than just a football issue. Utter fucking madness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54878817
Where is the offensive bit then?
“Coloured” is that it ?
I try to look at this with a bit of balance. On one hand I see a guy in his 60s using the word "coloured" and think its nothing that I haven't heard people of that generation and older saying quite innocently hundreds of times. My mother in law is 78 and still uses the term and when we correct her still thinks that saying "black" is much more offensive - we've tried to point out the obvious. She isn't racist in any shape or form and has friends from all walks of life. Its just a generational difference.

I also listened to his comments about a coach talking about young girls not liking the ball blasted at them and thought that it was probably factually correct.

However, on the flip side this is a leading figure running our game - not your 80 year old grandad down the pub talking to another old boy - and you would expect part of his education and staying informed would be to understand what is likely to offend and what isn't. It was a really misguided and naive thing to do for someone who sits in a senior position in the game. I think what would happen if a mid 60s CEO or cabinet minister used the terms he did, and there would be instant calls for his resignation. I genuinely don't think the bloke meant any harm or offence whatsoever and has actually done a lot for the game . Ironically he was actually trying to point out the abhorrent abuse that players from ethnic minority groups receive on social media but that bit seems to be skipped over.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:19 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
I'll stick this in here, rather than start a new thread, but it really is a case of "Modern Society Bollocks", rather than just a football issue. Utter fucking madness.

“Coloured” is that it ?
I try to look at this with a bit of balance. On one hand I see a guy in his 60s using the word "coloured" and think its nothing that I haven't heard people of that generation and older saying quite innocently hundreds of times. My mother in law is 78 and still uses the term and when we correct her still thinks that saying "black" is much more offensive - we've tried to point out the obvious. She isn't racist in any shape or form and has friends from all walks of life. Its just a generational difference.

I also listened to his comments about a coach talking about young girls not liking the ball blasted at them and thought that it was probably factually correct.

However, on the flip side this is a leading figure running our game - not your 80 year old grandad down the pub talking to another old boy - and you would expect part of his education and staying informed would be to understand what is likely to offend and what isn't. It was a really misguided and naive thing to do for someone who sits in a senior position in the game. I think what would happen if a mid 60s CEO or cabinet minister used the terms he did, and there would be instant calls for his resignation. I genuinely don't think the bloke meant any harm or offence whatsoever and has actually done a lot for the game . Ironically he was actually trying to point out the abhorrent abuse that players from ethnic minority groups receive on social media but that bit seems to be skipped over.

We can try to rationalise this and apply some balance SteveO, but the bottom line, in my opinion, is that its symptomatic of the dangerous creep of the Salem mentality. We're importing most of this nonsense from the US, where "acceptable" terminology on no end of issues, can change on a virtual daily basis.

With this particular issue, the term used by black Americans has moved from "coloured", to "black", to "people of colour". I've tried to work out the difference between "coloured person" and "person of colour", but the only substantive difference I can come up with is that one gets you fired and cancelled and the other is perfectly acceptable. Ruining a career over semantics. It's too easy to get caught up in the heated and irrational arguments around these issues, but if you step away and analyse it rationally, its lunacy.

Regarding the comment about girls not liking the ball blasted at them, he was, as you say, simply quoting a coach. The article also refers to him making a remark about Asians being more inclined to technology than blacks and referring to gay being a "choice"....probably the most contentious and controversial remark in fact, but overshadowed by the "he said coloured" hysteria.

As you say, his presence in the meeting was a positive one for the benefit of black players, so it's all rather sad tbh.

With the ceaseless march of the woke madness, we're not too far away from the Maoist Struggle Sessions....happy days.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

“Coloured” is that it ?

We can try to rationalise this and apply some balance SteveO, but the bottom line, in my opinion, is that its symptomatic of the dangerous creep of the Salem mentality. We're importing most of this nonsense from the US, where "acceptable" terminology on no end of issues, can change on a virtual daily basis.

With this particular issue, the term used by black Americans has moved from "coloured", to "black", to "people of colour". I've tried to work out the difference between "coloured person" and "person of colour", but the only substantive difference I can come up with is that one gets you fired and cancelled and the other is perfectly acceptable. Ruining a career over semantics. It's too easy to get caught up in the heated and irrational arguments around these issues, but if you step away and analyse it rationally, its lunacy.

Regarding the comment about girls not liking the ball blasted at them, he was, as you say, simply quoting a coach. The article also refers to him making a remark about Asians being more inclined to technology than blacks and referring to gay being a "choice"....probably the most contentious and controversial remark in fact, but overshadowed by the "he said coloured" hysteria.

As you say, his presence in the meeting was a positive one for the benefit of black players, so it's all rather sad tbh.

With the ceaseless march of the woke madness, we're not too far away from the Maoist Struggle Sessions....happy days.
Racism is in the eye of the beholder right? I can see what you are saying about the use of the word coloured and its potential ambiguity but for a long time now the word "coloured" has been seen as an offensive word by Black people. The article sums things up pretty well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... -offensive

I am not surprised Rob, doesn't get it. He did, after all, turn a blind eye to his pal Corbyn who mismanaged a period of vile antisemitism in the Labour Party.

Regardless though, the worst thing Clarke did was reference that many of the IT staff in the FA were of South Asian descent and more than subtly hint that Blacks perhaps had different career interests. That to me suggested he was implying Blacks were uneducated and not interested or maybe even capable of filling such roles.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

“Coloured” is that it ?

Racism is in the eye of the beholder right? I can see what you are saying about the use of the word coloured and its potential ambiguity but for a long time now the word "coloured" has been seen as an offensive word by Black people. The article sums things up pretty well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... -offensive

I am not surprised Rob, doesn't get it. He did, after all, turn a blind eye to his pal Corbyn who mismanaged a period of vile antisemitism in the Labour Party.

Regardless though, the worst thing Clarke did was reference that many of the IT staff in the FA were of South Asian descent and more than subtly hint that Blacks perhaps had different career interests. That to me suggested he was implying Blacks were uneducated and not interested or maybe even capable of filling such roles.
I'm with you - the term "coloured" is something my parents probably used in the 1970s and early 1980s and you'd imagine anyone working in corporate life in a modern society would know not to use it. Its certainly not a word I'd find myself accidently using.

For me the "lifestyle choice" comment about gay people was utterly absurd - if he really thinks that is the case, then its no wonder he lost his job. Likewise, the stereotyping of South Asians in IT was an incredibly daft thing to say. I would say that over 30 years I have probably seen more people of Asian descent working in IT roles than I have black people, but to suggest that's because they have different "career interests" in 2020, when the whole purpose of what we're trying to create is equal opportunity and not holding an unconscious bias.....well again, just a crass thing to say

Quoting the coach for me was a statement of fact, and if anyone wants to suggest 6 year old girls enjoy having a ball slammed at them they should really go out and experience the real world. That wasn't a sexist comment for me.

You would have thought the FA had enough HR and PR people employed to educate and guide their people. Working in a senior role myself, we often have people talking to us about such matters - its educational and part of a modern society. There should be no shame in having grown up in a different era, but you simply need to educate yourself and move with the times. I would expect to be sacked if I'd made the comments he did about ethnic groups 'career interests' or saying that our gay employees had made a "lifestyle choice" - then again, I wouldn't think it or say it, and that's the real problem....he did!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Everything Clarke said was spot on, but you simply can’t say anything that might upset anybody other than a “white hetrosexual male”
It’s fucking nuts!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

As for xxxxxx?
Don’t get me started! :banghead:

Sorry sid I've had a complaint about your use of that word. And yes I know some of them call themselves that, but context is everything. I've deleted it to be safe.
-DB10.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Parents

What is it Doctor
A boy or a girl?

Doctor

We're not allowed to assume the gender anymore
But its got a cock

:lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

herbert wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:17 pm
Parents

What is it Doctor
A boy or a girl?

Doctor

But its got a cock

:D :D :D

Midz

Post by Midz »

herbert wrote:
Parents

What is it Doctor
A boy or a girl?

Doctor

But its got a cock

:D :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Parents

What is it Doctor
A boy or a girl?

Doctor

But its got a cock

:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Richard fucking Keys. :censored: An absolute Megacunt. :censored:

The very thought of this no talent skid mark having a go at anyone for their punditry skills is beyond irony overload.

https://www.football365.com/news/richar ... ester-city

Personally can't stand bitter bastard Roy Keane but I'd listen to his analysis every day over Keys's bland plaudits and nauseating Smashie and Nicey style "matey banter" with the moronic Andy Gray and his stupid "tick-a-boo son" catchphrase. :roll:

Best of all? This fucking mong thinks he and Gray "educated" us..... :lol: :oops: Seriously stop ffs. :oops:

Actually I'm not sure how they had time to "educate" anyone with all the sexual discrimination they were dedicated to delivering apparently on an hourly basis. :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am
Richard fucking Keys. :censored: An absolute Megacunt. :censored:

The very thought of this no talent skid mark having a go at anyone for their punditry skills is beyond irony overload.

https://www.football365.com/news/richar ... ester-city

Personally can't stand bitter bastard Roy Keane but I'd listen to his analysis every day over Keys's bland plaudits and nauseating Smashie and Nicey style "matey banter" with the moronic Andy Gray and his stupid "tick-a-boo son" catchphrase. :roll:

Best of all? This fucking mong thinks he and Gray "educated" us..... :lol: :oops: Seriously stop ffs. :oops:

Actually I'm not sure how they had time to "educate" anyone with all the sexual discrimination they were dedicated to delivering apparently on an hourly basis. :lol:
Man city complained to sky over his comments :lol:

Ffs can these millionaire arsehole players not take a little criticism once in the while.

Fucking pc/woke society wanting everyone to be a robot.

1984 here we come

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

1984 here we come

Think we are already there .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

If it's proven true that Ireland manager Stephen Kenny showed his players an anti English video before the friendly between the sides then he should be sacked immediately. If it's true.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:58 am
If it's proven true that Ireland manager Stephen Kenny showed his players an anti English video before the friendly between the sides then he should be sacked immediately. If it's true.
Having an illiterate, diving scum player captaining England is probably all you need to turn people against the whole country.