Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

goonersid

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:18 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:34 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:21 pm
If wenger is brought back to take over from arteta we will be relegated within two seasons. Reminds me of the time Manure brought back Busby in the early '70's.
If that happened (I don't think it will btw) but if it did I think I'd be done with both Arsenal and modern football.
I’d actually bring Emery back! not because I think for one nano second that he is anything othet than incompetent, weak minded, useless fucking c u n t!
But to let him fail and crumble again! in order to stop the growing mythical status he continues to acquire with some on this forum!
Sweet Jesus, in generations to come, our great grand children, will have to listen to stories of “hard done by, Emery the greatest manager the club ever had”
For once and for all!! He was fucking hopeless!!
He didn’t “nearly get a top 4 finish” fuck no!
He was handed the chance of top 4 on a fucking plate by sperz as they had an even more spectacular end of season collapse than usual’
And despite the easiest of run ins, that useless lily livered bastard was incapable of getting us over the line!
He then topped it with the most humiliating defeat in a final, that I can remember for any “big club”
Now can we focus on getting shot of the latest managerial disaster and stop grieving over the departure of the last one

Sid, you can dress it up or try to alterthings any way you want, but the reality is that emery DID almost bring the top to a top 4 finish - imo he 100% fcuked it up with his team selection at home v palace, but that doesnt take away from the fact that he almost got top 4

Emery wasnt hopeless - was he perfect ? No he was far from it, but I still say that he had us going in the right direction, and make no mistake that is one million times better than pep's waterboy is doing. I always said that I didnt need the next manager after wenger to be perfect appointment - I said that I wanted someone to come in, clean out a lot of the shit that le cock had accumulated, and then start the rebuild with young and hungry players. I was very comfortable with emery coming in doing that job and then after two seasons having fans like yourself calling for his removal cos he had taken the club as far as he could - he was well down that road and I believe that had he been given until another 6-12 months he would have done the job I wanted him to do and we could have moved on with a better manager who would have taken over a playing squad better than the one le cock left behind. At no stage in my list of requirements did I say that I needed emery to win cups or make top 4 or even make top 6 cos for me the rebuild was more important and trumps any kind of short term joy a few results can bring (arteta is proof of that). Nowadays fans are sometimes afraid to call for a managers removal lest they be seen as some short term glory chaser, but yet those same fans judge a manager ONLY BY RESULTS - you judge emery by his top 4 capitulation, or his ropey league 2nd half shambles etc, but for me the job he was doing off the pitch was excellent. Arteta has undone that progress and then some, and if he walked or was pushed in the morning, we would be trying to sell our club to prospective managers in a much weaker position than when arteta took over, and that is for damn sure

I dont have some infatuation with emery, I just feel that we blew a great chance to clean hose by sacking him too early
^^ Amen brother - this 100%

Emery wouldn't have made my top 3 shortlist when the job was available.......but we've now got someone who wouldn't have made my top 103

1 point off the top 4 is undeniable - the only closer 'nearly' to that is goal difference.

The Europa League final was a 25 minute shambles and one entirely of Emery & the club's making in that they failed to sign a decent RB. Bellerin is utter ***** anyway (as Pep's coneboy is proving by playing him every week) and AMN isn't much better there. Never mind though because the water carrier has really shored things up signing Cedric :D :D :D

Emery worked miracles at bankrupt Valencia, 3 x Europa winners Sevilla and isn't doing too bad at Villareal either. Oh, and he's won more at PSG than the German Martinez, Thomas Fucking Tuchel

The last 10-15 games of Emery weren't great. The Palace game was shit - a manager who underestimated the strength of a PL opponent in his first season. However, I didn't see us get splatted at home like we did by Villa under his reign, and I knew he only needed to oust 3 or 4 more c.unts in January and the Summer and the clear out would have been 90% done

Now, we've got this fucktard - playing football that would make Neil Warnock blush, ruined our star striker to the point he'll leave and playing a load of "never will be" c.unts like Xhaka and Mustafi and giving out mega money contracts to past it's sell by date shit like Willian. Oh yeah, and we sold a decent keeper for 17m.....the same price the club paid for Perez a few season ago :D

If we do fire Arteta, I don't want Emery back, or Freddie or Wenger......but if it was a choice of those 4 it would be Dick every time

Anyway, we're stuck with the milk tray man for a good while yet. He's got the board licking his arse, and they'll still be halfway up his pipe when we're playing Charlton in our local derby
Honestly guys, if you believe the shite you’ve just posted regarding Emery, then I pity your wit.
Augie? He was taking us in the right direction? FFS he had lost the entire dressing room, his pantomime sideline antics were more embarassing than Wengers water bottle and he had us in freefall.
Steveo? So we lost to the chavs because of 25 mins of bellerin inspired madness?
Well we came back 12 months later and beat the chavs un an fa cup final!
Don’t for one minute consider this any attempt to defend Arteta, he like his predecessor isn’t up to the job!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:19 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:18 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:34 pm

If that happened (I don't think it will btw) but if it did I think I'd be done with both Arsenal and modern football.
I’d actually bring Emery back! not because I think for one nano second that he is anything othet than incompetent, weak minded, useless fucking c u n t!
But to let him fail and crumble again! in order to stop the growing mythical status he continues to acquire with some on this forum!
Sweet Jesus, in generations to come, our great grand children, will have to listen to stories of “hard done by, Emery the greatest manager the club ever had”
For once and for all!! He was fucking hopeless!!
He didn’t “nearly get a top 4 finish” fuck no!
He was handed the chance of top 4 on a fucking plate by sperz as they had an even more spectacular end of season collapse than usual’
And despite the easiest of run ins, that useless lily livered bastard was incapable of getting us over the line!
He then topped it with the most humiliating defeat in a final, that I can remember for any “big club”
Now can we focus on getting shot of the latest managerial disaster and stop grieving over the departure of the last one

Sid, you can dress it up or try to alterthings any way you want, but the reality is that emery DID almost bring the top to a top 4 finish - imo he 100% fcuked it up with his team selection at home v palace, but that doesnt take away from the fact that he almost got top 4

Emery wasnt hopeless - was he perfect ? No he was far from it, but I still say that he had us going in the right direction, and make no mistake that is one million times better than pep's waterboy is doing. I always said that I didnt need the next manager after wenger to be perfect appointment - I said that I wanted someone to come in, clean out a lot of the shit that le cock had accumulated, and then start the rebuild with young and hungry players. I was very comfortable with emery coming in doing that job and then after two seasons having fans like yourself calling for his removal cos he had taken the club as far as he could - he was well down that road and I believe that had he been given until another 6-12 months he would have done the job I wanted him to do and we could have moved on with a better manager who would have taken over a playing squad better than the one le cock left behind. At no stage in my list of requirements did I say that I needed emery to win cups or make top 4 or even make top 6 cos for me the rebuild was more important and trumps any kind of short term joy a few results can bring (arteta is proof of that). Nowadays fans are sometimes afraid to call for a managers removal lest they be seen as some short term glory chaser, but yet those same fans judge a manager ONLY BY RESULTS - you judge emery by his top 4 capitulation, or his ropey league 2nd half shambles etc, but for me the job he was doing off the pitch was excellent. Arteta has undone that progress and then some, and if he walked or was pushed in the morning, we would be trying to sell our club to prospective managers in a much weaker position than when arteta took over, and that is for damn sure

I dont have some infatuation with emery, I just feel that we blew a great chance to clean hose by sacking him too early
^^ Amen brother - this 100%

Emery wouldn't have made my top 3 shortlist when the job was available.......but we've now got someone who wouldn't have made my top 103

1 point off the top 4 is undeniable - the only closer 'nearly' to that is goal difference.

The Europa League final was a 25 minute shambles and one entirely of Emery & the club's making in that they failed to sign a decent RB. Bellerin is utter ***** anyway (as Pep's coneboy is proving by playing him every week) and AMN isn't much better there. Never mind though because the water carrier has really shored things up signing Cedric :D :D :D

Emery worked miracles at bankrupt Valencia, 3 x Europa winners Sevilla and isn't doing too bad at Villareal either. Oh, and he's won more at PSG than the German Martinez, Thomas Fucking Tuchel

The last 10-15 games of Emery weren't great. The Palace game was shit - a manager who underestimated the strength of a PL opponent in his first season. However, I didn't see us get splatted at home like we did by Villa under his reign, and I knew he only needed to oust 3 or 4 more c.unts in January and the Summer and the clear out would have been 90% done

Now, we've got this fucktard - playing football that would make Neil Warnock blush, ruined our star striker to the point he'll leave and playing a load of "never will be" c.unts like Xhaka and Mustafi and giving out mega money contracts to past it's sell by date shit like Willian. Oh yeah, and we sold a decent keeper for 17m.....the same price the club paid for Perez a few season ago :D

If we do fire Arteta, I don't want Emery back, or Freddie or Wenger......but if it was a choice of those 4 it would be Dick every time

Anyway, we're stuck with the milk tray man for a good while yet. He's got the board licking his arse, and they'll still be halfway up his pipe when we're playing Charlton in our local derby
Honestly guys, if you believe the shite you’ve just posted regarding Emery, then I pity your wit.
Augie? He was taking us in the right direction? FFS he had lost the entire dressing room, his pantomime sideline antics were more embarassing than Wengers water bottle and he had us in freefall.
Steveo? So we lost to the chavs because of 25 mins of bellerin inspired madness?
Well we came back 12 months later and beat the chavs un an fa cup final!
Don’t for one minute consider this any attempt to defend Arteta, he like his predecessor isn’t up to the job!
I'm not sure it's fair to say he'd lost the entire dressing room mate - the younger players like Saka, Martinelli etc were doing good things under him. There is no doubt that some of our sad acts got the arse over the whole Xhaka incident and for some reason there are players in our squad who fawn over this piece of shit - probably says more about them.

That cup final was absolute *****. If you watch the first half, next to nothing happens - in fact we were marginally the better team. Then Hazard decides to turn up for 20-25 minutes and we had AMN playing there AGAIN - and I agree that was down to Emery to fix that problem. We haven't had a decent RB for years - probably since Sagna in his best years......so for me that's Wenger, Emery and Arteta who have all failed to work out that Ballerina Bellerin is absolutely gash. Emery played AMN and Lichsteiner there - both absolute gash RBs......and Arteta has also played AMN there and even worse fucking Cedric......so that issue isn't sorted. I'm not going to defend that cup final performance for a minute, but it was far from being slaughtered for 90 minutes. Hazard was the best player in the league at the time and he took advantage of the fact we had a reserve RB and rinsed him.

Anyway, it matters little these days because Emery has long since gone and we are stuck with Shit for Brains MKII - a man who put together a Di Matteo style run to win a cup, but has served up shite performances more often than not in the league. He's pandered to Xhaka, Mustafi and a whole host of other useless c.unts like Bellerin, to be "Mr Popular" and where has it got us

I'll always be thankful for the FA Cup win and I've praised him numerous times for that, as the three games to win when the season resumed were all tough ones. However, that is now looking like some price to pay

There were trashy tabloid rumours about Allegri over the weekend, and I can only hope there's some element of truth in that because none of Wenger, Emery or Cone Boy are the answer. We need an absolute winner - experienced at the highest level, ideally with no prior exposure or bias to this group of sorry c.unts and prepared to come in and dictate to this board what needs to happen.....rather than gladly pick up a pay check and not rock the boat

augie

Post by augie »

Sid, dunno if you are deliberately mis-reading my posts, but let me clarify things clearly for you -

1. I said that AS A CLUB we were going in the right direction under emery - not alone did I say that I wasnt basing it on performances, but I went so far as to say (numerous times lately), that winning trophies now are a distraction and isnt anywhere on my priority list

2. Emery lost the dressing room - who did he lose ? Xhala, ozil, mustafi, luiz ? All players that you, me and almost every Gooner would be happy to see out the door today. The problem in this situation is that (like in most dressing rooms) it was the older players that ran the show and led the down tools protest against emery, and the younger players didnt have the standing to oppose it. Forget about emery for a minute and ask yourself in what world should the opinions of c.unts like the above players be used to dictate policy at a club of our size ? If the day we sacked emery we would also have got rid of the above players, then that day would go down as one of the happiest days in my Gooner life and that is the difference between you and me - you are totally fixated on emery and cant see that what myself and steve o are displaying isnt a loyalty or love of him, but rather a 100% buy in of his policy of ridding the clubs of the c.unts that are still infecting our team to this day, and I would be totally on board with his removal as long as those other c.unts were gone too

augie

Post by augie »

Steve O, one of my lads told me yesterday of a story doing the rounds suggesting that since the defeat to the scum allegri had sent a detailed plan of action to the board on what he would do if he was given the job soon - hardly be true would it ? I know when emery got the job arteta was interviewed, and when arteta got the job allegri was interviewed, so maybe history will repeat itself ??

Very doubtful of this story and extremely doubtful that in my lifetime we will see an allegri appointed as manager in the future as long as the cuntin kroenke owns the club - there is nowhere near enough chatter to suggest that arteta's job is under pressure from his bosses, so unless he walks (and an arrogant cock like him would never accept that he is out of his depth), we wont see change any time soon :cry: :cry: :cry:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:12 am
Steve O, one of my lads told me yesterday of a story doing the rounds suggesting that since the defeat to the scum allegri had sent a detailed plan of action to the board on what he would do if he was given the job soon - hardly be true would it ? I know when emery got the job arteta was interviewed, and when arteta got the job allegri was interviewed, so maybe history will repeat itself ??

Very doubtful of this story and extremely doubtful that in my lifetime we will see an allegri appointed as manager in the future as long as the cuntin kroenke owns the club - there is nowhere near enough chatter to suggest that arteta's job is under pressure from his bosses, so unless he walks (and an arrogant cock like him would never accept that he is out of his depth), we wont see change any time soon :cry: :cry: :cry:
Its always hard to know what to believe - on one hand I've read reports this weekend saying he retains the board's support, whilst other circles saying that he has 3 games to save his job and Allegri lined up as the replacement. Allegedly Allegri came across as being arrogant when interviewed before which just about sums up our c.unts on the board. I'll always say that Brian Clough was the greatest manager in my lifetime and was probably the most arrogant fecker going! I don't want Mr Nice Guy, I want a fucking winner. GG didn't exactly endear himself to our overpaid superstars when he joined.

Oh how we need a GG figure now - someone to sweep out the deadwood, promote from within and sign some nasty bastards with a winning mentality. Simeone and Allegri could do it - but who else?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just looking at the prices on Oddschecker of our next permanent manager:

Allegri is now best priced 2/1 favourite - fuck me, lets hope the bookies have got it right

After that they bet

Tuchel 4/1 (bring back fucking Wenger if that much is true)
Rodgers 15/2 (fuck off)
Vieira 10/1 (loved you Paddy but not as manager yet thanks)
Simeone 10/1 (more like 100/1 from where I'm sitting but what a choice he would be)
Henry 12/1 (same comment as PV4)
Ljungberg 16/1 (ditto)
Benitez 18/1 (worth a shout if we can't get Allegri or Simeone)
Martinez 20/1 (see comments next to Tuchel)
Rose 25/1 (who?????)
Sarri 25/1 (nah)
Podgie 25/1 (in the past I'd have said fuck off but where we are today and with his PL experience, makes the shortlist)
Nagelsmann 33/1 (don't know enough about him)
Sol Campbell 40/1 (thought he had aspirations for Saddiq Khan or Boris Johnson's jobs)
Eddie Howe 40/1 (just about makes the shortlist)
There's Only One Arsene Wenger 40/1 (words fail me)

So from that shortlist my preferred choices would be

1. Allegri
2. Simeone
3. Podgie
4. Benitez (but ideally just for 12-18 months)
5. Howe

Views?

augie

Post by augie »

My lads asked me the other day if I would still be ok when the idea of PV4 getting the job after he got sacked in a small club in france and I told them that I would be - wenger got sacked in monaco and had to go to japan to rebuild his rep, and he was outstanding in his first decade with us, so getting sacked in one club shouldnt definitively rule a guy out of the running. It should also be said that there are a lot of managers that have failed in smaller clubs but have succeeded in bigger clubs where they have had better players to work with, and who are better equipped to carry out tactical instructions and have the necessary heart and fight which usually separates the good from the great players

That being said, I will say that PV4 wouldnt be in my top 3 or 4 list for the job, but I honestly cannot remember a time where there has been such a small talent pool amongst the managers. Simeone would be far and away my number one choice, but there is a much better chance of me willing the euromillions and having a weekend of non stop sex with mila kunis, than there is of us getting simeone :( That makes allegri the only outstanding candidate that is possible to get - his experience, his drive to succeed, and his hunger after 2 years out, means he should be exactly what we need. After him there is poxychino's, and whilst I'm not sure his appointment would be a fit, he is still the next best option. After that the options are as follows :

1. Rafa : Pro's solid cv, tactically astute, big personality Negatives - not renowned for attacking football, and auba is already pissed off

2. Nagelsman : Pro's very promising young manager not afraid to break tradition Negatives concerned whether he would be strong enough to control dressing room, and no pl experience

3. Howe : pro's promising young manager with pl experience Negatives no confidence that his personality would control w.ankers like xhaka

4. Rodgers pro's vast pl experience and is good tactically and at making the sum better than the individual parts negatives cant put my finger on it, but there is something that I dont like or trust about the man

5. PV4 : pro's proper Arsenal man imo and someone who would instill pride and passion in them, plus wouldnt be afraid to play younger players having travelled that path himself Negatives unproven at this level

At this moment in time I dont think that we can afford to go with the left field appointment like nagelsman might be, or the bright young manager appointment like howe would be. The french cock and sol campbell would be in my "no fcuking way" bundle, and martinez, henry, sarri and freddie would be in my "I'd rather not thanks" bundle

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Allegri would be great but I reckon he’s waiting for a job that he can walk in to and immediately challenge for the big prizes. The Barca and Madrid jobs immediately spring to mind and both will be available at the end of the season (if not before considering the state of those two clubs at the moment).

Poch similar

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Poch similar in so far as he’s done the “project job” at the scum and probably would have little appetite to take on something similar with us so will also want somewhere to walk in to and immediately compete for leagues and champions leagues. United and Real head that list but he’d want assurances that there would be substantial cash to spend at either.

From the list Benitez is the one that’s definitely gettable and would jump at the offer. Is he still in China managing though?

augie

Post by augie »

Not for one second advocating lucien favre as an option for us, but have just heard that dortmund sacked him after last night's big defeat :shock: It seems that being 5pts behind the wealthiest club in germany is unacceptable for dortmund - favre should consider coming here cos being 15th with one of the biggest clubs in the world is deemed perfectly acceptable :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :oops: :oops: :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Poch similar in so far as he’s done the “project job” at the scum and probably would have little appetite to take on something similar with us so will also want somewhere to walk in to and immediately compete for leagues and champions leagues. United and Real head that list but he’d want assurances that there would be substantial cash to spend at either.

From the list Benitez is the one that’s definitely gettable and would jump at the offer. Is he still in China managing though?
If that c u n t pokeynose ever gets the job, I will be finished with Arsenal.
He has done fuck all!
Presided over and won fuck all with what was supposedly the greatest sperz team ever!
In that time he managed to fuck up a sterling chance of a lge title, 2 fa cup semi finals, having fluked their way they made a complete no-show in the clge final, where their victim opponents also bottled it, yet couldn’t help but win it given just how shite sperz were.
They had been finishing 5th or 6th most seasons before he took over, then with a vastly superior squad he took them to last day top 4 almost every season he was there, aided and abetted by ourselves!
He is vermin Sperz scum and for any gooner to even consider him as an Arsenal mamager??
FFS no!!!!

wibble

Post by wibble »

augie wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:32 pm
What a player :wink:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337785533465038853
No keeper in the world would have saved that. Except Martinez :wink:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

My shortlist is:

1. Simeone
2. Allegri
3. Benitez
4. Conte
5. Rogers

In all honesty, we probably have ZERO hope in getting Simenoe, but a man can dream, right??

Allegri would be the top (realistic) choice, due the fact he is unattached. Whether or not we could match his ambition/demands is another question. I can't see it, to be honest, but you never know. Benitez, I think, would perhaps be the most ideal realistic choice. He is a tactically good manager, he has won things in his time, plenty of PL experience, his teams are hard to play against and he can work well on a budget. Would certainly stabilise the team, at the least. I think Conte would be another manager who would come in and steady the ship. I think we need a manager who's a big no-nonsense and who can whip that defence into shape. Rogers is someone else who do a good job in making us hard to play against. I WOULD take Pochettino, to be honest. I don't think we are in any position to turn our noses up, when we all know Pochettino is, tactically, better than what we have.

We're stuck with a man who would rather play Mustafi, Holding, Willian and Alexandre Lackofthreat then give a chance to Saliba or Balogun.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Antonio Conte would be my choice. By all accounts he rubs people up the wrong way but is a strong disciplinarian and doesn't suffer fools. All the talk on here regarding Allegri, and I wouldn't turn him down tbh, but a lot of his success at Juve can be attributed to the squad and setup that Conte left behind when he resigned and took the Italian national job.