Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Could be a defining moment yesterday's win. Anyone who has played or been involved in the game at any level knows that confidence is such an important factor, especially in younger players, and last night's win would have a few of those lads absolutely buzzing at the moment

If those players are available for the Brighton game they should all play again. I don't want to hear any of this nonsense about "fatigue", "soft tissue" injuries etc. Some of these players like Smith Rowe have barely kicked a ball in anger all season. Martinelli was absolutely full of running from start to finish, as was Saka. We are dealing with elite athletes in their late teens/early 20s FFS, and asking them to do it again 3 days later. Pro tennis players play every other day sometimes for 4 hours. Its December - not mid April.

He has been handed a lifeline to get the fans back on side. Looking at social media today, there is so much praise being lavished on Saka, Martinelli and Smith Rowe and rightly so. If they are fit, they start - it absolutely needs to be that way

If any of those three go out of the side and are replaced by any combination of Willian, Pepe, Willock or Ceballos and we don't beat Brighton then he deserves the tsunami of shite that will be thrown at him

Over to you Mikel.....

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Have to agree with all of that SteveO, while confidence is high keep them playing. My worry is that he coddles the ego's of the 'bigger' players. Fuck them, they have had plenty of opportunities to show this season and in the main have been shite. It's not like playing the youngsters can make things worse at the moment. Unfortunately eventually reality will set in and either confidence or fatigue will mean they have to be rotated and he will have to be canny with that, only one dropped at a time and only if absolutely necessary, can he be trusted to do that, I'm yet to be convinced :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

I see that he is playing the same old pr nice soundbites again in today's media about how he has let Arsenal fans down in every one of those 15 defeats :roll: Stop talking and start producing performances on a regular basis like saturday evening's game, and start recognising and offloading the shit players with immediate effect, and then maybe you wont have to be all apologetic through the media :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

After a great performance by the team against the chavs. Will he revert to type or go with the team that won so convincingly?
The kids are ready for the rest of the season and I think the game against West Brom will be a deciding factor in how the rest of the season will pan out.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:19 pm
Could be a defining moment yesterday's win. Anyone who has played or been involved in the game at any level knows that confidence is such an important factor, especially in younger players, and last night's win would have a few of those lads absolutely buzzing at the moment

If those players are available for the Brighton game they should all play again. I don't want to hear any of this nonsense about "fatigue", "soft tissue" injuries etc. Some of these players like Smith Rowe have barely kicked a ball in anger all season. Martinelli was absolutely full of running from start to finish, as was Saka. We are dealing with elite athletes in their late teens/early 20s FFS, and asking them to do it again 3 days later. Pro tennis players play every other day sometimes for 4 hours. Its December - not mid April.

He has been handed a lifeline to get the fans back on side. Looking at social media today, there is so much praise being lavished on Saka, Martinelli and Smith Rowe and rightly so. If they are fit, they start - it absolutely needs to be that way

If any of those three go out of the side and are replaced by any combination of Willian, Pepe, Willock or Ceballos and we don't beat Brighton then he deserves the tsunami of shite that will be thrown at him

Over to you Mikel.....

Yep, my thoughts are along the same line. I'd retain Laca in the squad and move AMN in for Elneny who looked like he was running in treacle compared to the rest of the team. AMN will give us pace and more forward guile than Elneny.
AMN, ESR, Eddie, Saka and willock know each others game and I could tell in the home game against Rapid Vienna, they knew where each other would be, they are a more cohesive team. It comes across that AMN is a bit of a leader to this particular group of lads and we could really click on with himm in the midfield, alongside Partey when he is fit. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think he is a very important player to the young guns coming through. Like Davis was to the class of '82. He paved the path for a talented group of players.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:37 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Over to you Mikel.....

Yep, my thoughts are along the same line. I'd retain Laca in the squad and move AMN in for Elneny who looked like he was running in treacle compared to the rest of the team. AMN will give us pace and more forward guile than Elneny.
AMN, ESR, Eddie, Saka and willock know each others game and I could tell in the home game against Rapid Vienna, they knew where each other would be, they are a more cohesive team. It comes across that AMN is a bit of a leader to this particular group of lads and we could really click on with himm in the midfield, alongside Partey when he is fit. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think he is a very important player to the young guns coming through. Like Davis was to the class of '82. He paved the path for a talented group of players.
I'd love to know who this AMN is that you are watching mate! All I see is a poor player that constantly pisses posession away, has no guile, vision or streetsmarts on the pitch, and invariably makes the wrong choice 9 times out of 10. If we play Maitland-Bendtner in the middle we concede the midfield right there. He'll be at Palace in two years.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BBC Website:

Arsenal will prioritise offloading players in the January transfer window, says manager Mikel Arteta.

Midfielder Mesut Ozil, whose deal expires in summer 2021, has been left out of the Gunners' Premier League and Europa League squads this season.

Defenders Shkodran Mustafi and Sead Kolasinac have barely featured in the league in 2020-21.

"We cannot sustain the numbers that we have in certain positions," said Arteta.

"There are some players that are going to go on loan and going to leave, and that is the priority.

"Then we will see if we have the right opportunity in the positions where we need some more help."

Who could be on the move in January?
When asked about reports that Bosnia-Herzegovina left-back Kolasinac is close to a return to former club Schalke, Arteta said: ""The numbers we have in the squad at the moment are really big, but we cannot confirm anything yet."

Arsenal have three first-team players out on loan - centre-back Konstantinos Mavropanos is at Stuttgart, while midfielders Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi are at Atletico Madrid and Hertha Berlin respectively.

The Gunners are 13th in the Premier League after 16 games, following back-to-back victories over Brighton and Chelsea that ended a run of seven matches without a win.

They host 19th-placed West Bromwich Albion on 2 January (20:00 GMT kick-off).

It sounds like he has been told if he wants to bring anyone in, he first has to dump the garbage.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:08 pm
BBC Website:

Arsenal will prioritise offloading players in the January transfer window, says manager Mikel Arteta.

Midfielder Mesut Ozil, whose deal expires in summer 2021, has been left out of the Gunners' Premier League and Europa League squads this season.

Defenders Shkodran Mustafi and Sead Kolasinac have barely featured in the league in 2020-21.

"We cannot sustain the numbers that we have in certain positions," said Arteta.

"There are some players that are going to go on loan and going to leave, and that is the priority.

"Then we will see if we have the right opportunity in the positions where we need some more help."

Who could be on the move in January?
When asked about reports that Bosnia-Herzegovina left-back Kolasinac is close to a return to former club Schalke, Arteta said: ""The numbers we have in the squad at the moment are really big, but we cannot confirm anything yet."

Arsenal have three first-team players out on loan - centre-back Konstantinos Mavropanos is at Stuttgart, while midfielders Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi are at Atletico Madrid and Hertha Berlin respectively.

The Gunners are 13th in the Premier League after 16 games, following back-to-back victories over Brighton and Chelsea that ended a run of seven matches without a win.

They host 19th-placed West Bromwich Albion on 2 January (20:00 GMT kick-off).

It sounds like he has been told if he wants to bring anyone in, he first has to dump the garbage.
May get a couple out on loan if we pay at least half their wages

Only saleable players at risk probably Bellerin or AMN....hoping its the former

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mirror claim Mikel Arteta was challenged by an angry Arsenal player in front of the rest of the squad. Mirror Sport understands the player, who hasn't been named, voiced his frustration that some individuals are being treated differently at #Arsenal.https://t.co/JBUvTvRu3p

John F

Post by John F »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 pm
The Mirror claim Mikel Arteta was challenged by an angry Arsenal player in front of the rest of the squad. Mirror Sport understands the player, who hasn't been named, voiced his frustration that some individuals are being treated differently at #Arsenal.https://t.co/JBUvTvRu3p
Time to play detective and try and guess which senior player.My money is on Auba. Judging by his form and his body language something is bothering him.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I reckon Sokratis :box:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 pm
I thought it was Sideshow that was supposed to have the big beef with Arteta at the moment?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I'm going for Ceballos

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Pepe all day long, I heard he ran across the training pitch to confront Arteta but missed, he's still running

John F

Post by John F »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Pepe all day long, I heard he ran across the training pitch to confront Arteta but missed, he's still running
:D