Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:42 am
I'm going for Ceballos
Talk today that Real Madrid are thinking of recalling him this month as they're unhappy with his game time. More than happy for that to be true - he's absolutely gash and another one robbing a young player of an opportunity

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Pepe all day long, I heard he ran across the training pitch to confront Arteta but missed, he's still running
:lol: :lol:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Arsenal have looked a lot better going forward the past few matches and haven't allowed a sniff outside of the first half of the Brighton match. Let's hope that this carries on. My only worry is that Smith-Rowe or Saka gets injured now because there isn't anyone who would fill their boots and that is saying something, especially in the case of Smith-Rowe. I'd even say Mari has been decent considering that he is really only now getting game sharpness since his transfer.

If he can shift out some players this window (I include Pepe on this list. Let's face it, he's been a bust) and bring in some cover/competition for Smith-Rowe, he could actually right his errors from just a few weeks ago.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Well, he's turning it around.
It seems he was waiting for an opportunity to drop certain players who weren't performing and took advantage of that situation. The last three performances has shown more of what type of team Arteta wants to play.

Maybe, he wasn't brave enough to drop the experienced players that needed it without having the excuse of injuries/ illness. The turning point has been reached by sticking with a winning team, and not rushing to put back in players as they become available.

It'll be interesting to see how he deals with Ozil in January. Will he include him in the squad or not? For me, I think he has to re-introduce in the premier league squad, he's training with the first team and he isn't going anywhere until his contract expires in June. I've read that he is one of the best performers in training . If that report is true than Arteta has to bring him back into the squad because that is the ethos Arteta is trying to establish at the club, then It's up to Arteta whether he plays him or not.

Personally, i'd bring him back into the squad because its caused more problems leaving him out, than may have been anticipated.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:51 am
It seems he was waiting for an opportunity to drop certain players who weren't performing and took advantage of that situation. The last three performances has shown more of what type of team Arteta wants to play.

Maybe, he wasn't brave enough to drop the experienced players that needed it without having the excuse of injuries/ illness. The turning point has been reached by sticking with a winning team, and not rushing to put back in players as they become available.

It'll be interesting to see how he deals with Ozil in January. Will he include him in the squad or not? For me, I think he has to re-introduce in the premier league squad, he's training with the first team and he isn't going anywhere until his contract expires in June. I've read that he is one of the best performers in training . If that report is true than Arteta has to bring him back into the squad because that is the ethos Arteta is trying to establish at the club, then It's up to Arteta whether he plays him or not.

Personally, i'd bring him back into the squad because its caused more problems leaving him out, than may have been anticipated.
There is no way Ozil will play for Arsenal again as long as Arteta is in charge and rightly so.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:

He's had a good week that has resulted in 3 wins, and as you rightly point out the inclusion of the kids was forced upon him (by his own admission). He's now got 2 options - the first (which any good manager does) to admit he got the early season selections wrong and stick with this bunch, or the second which is to pander to the Willians of this world and reintroduce them to the team the first time someone like ESR has a poor game (which of course will happen at some point). I'll reserve judgement until that cycle kicks in and at the end of the season......but lets not get ahead of ourselves. We are 2 games away from the midpoint of the PL season and still in the bottom half of the table. If that had been offered at the start of the season, everyone would have been up in arms. Much work to be done, an important January window in our midst and a very important learning cycle for the manager.

As for Ozil, I maintain that you pick your best 25 players in the squad, and he is amongst them. He's not a genius, he's not the answer to all our prayers, I haven't forgotten the years of bang average performances......but if you ask me which player in our squad I would want backing up ESR in the number 10 role it would be him......ahead of any of the other current pretenders like Willock any day of the week. He should arguably be very fresh (if not match fit) for the remaining few months which will be a big help.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Any attempt to bring Ozil back into the fold will be political suicide for Arteta. The " I told you so " clamour should we win a few more games with him will be deafening and the calls for his ( Artetas ) head will get louder.
The best thing for the club would be for him to be cut loose and keep the team on the direction it's presently following. Even since Kolasinac left we are still one player over in our squad until either Mustafi , Sokratis go or not.
Real Madrid comment that Ceballos has not had enough playing time and then suddenly he plays . That is more worrying for me and should Ozil come back in Ceballos would be the one to go and no doubt with a large bill owing to Real and definitely no Isco who I wouldn't want either.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:

With the greatest of respect buddy, that is either bull.shit of the highest degree, or some of the weakest most pathetic management in the history of our club - if he isnt strong enough to drop garbage players who by their utter shite performances has the team near the relegation zone, then he has no business managing a club like ours.
He picked those young players cos he had no choice. He is sticking with them (for now) cos he knows that reverting to the older players again will be signing his death warrant. The fans are re-energised and positive again because of the energy and hunger the younger players are bringing to the team, and taking that out of the team will bring us back to the slow uninspiring football that seen the fans turn against arteta - arteta wont survive if he goes back to the likes of willian and results slide.
For what it is worth I believe that arteta will try to get his favourites back into the team asap - next game is a cup game and big clubs traditionally "rotate" in early rounds of cups, so pep's cone boy will use the game to rest younger players imo

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 pm
Nos89 wrote:

With the greatest of respect buddy, that is either bull.shit of the highest degree, or some of the weakest most pathetic management in the history of our club - if he isnt strong enough to drop garbage players who by their utter shite performances has the team near the relegation zone, then he has no business managing a club like ours.
He picked those young players cos he had no choice. He is sticking with them (for now) cos he knows that reverting to the older players again will be signing his death warrant. The fans are re-energised and positive again because of the energy and hunger the younger players are bringing to the team, and taking that out of the team will bring us back to the slow uninspiring football that seen the fans turn against arteta - arteta wont survive if he goes back to the likes of willian and results slide.
For what it is worth I believe that arteta will try to get his favourites back into the team asap - next game is a cup game and big clubs traditionally "rotate" in early rounds of cups, so pep's cone boy will use the game to rest younger players imo
And that's my point about this being a pivotal moment for Arteta - does he recognise that playing the same old twats that let the club down dozens of times was a mistake and one he has learned from......or will he revert to type at the sign of the first hiccup under these kids (which will happen within the next month or so almost for certain). That will define him as a manager

When George Graham was appointed manager of Arsenal he was 41 years old and had never managed in the top flight. Arteta was only 4 years his junior and had been coaching some of the world's finest players for 2 years before being appointed our manager

When GG came in he got rid of senior players like Tony Woodcock and Tommy Caton immediately - decisions that would have been extremely hard to do as a young and inexperienced manager. He made Tony Adams his captain at 20 and he played every game in his first season, and promoted Martin Hayes who ended up top scorer with 24 goals. Niall Quinn at 21 years old was the second highest scorer.

The bloke got rid of some of the biggest characters in the dressing room - Rix, Anderson, Sansom, Steve Williams - hard to manage, experienced international footballers with big pay packets. That would have been hard to do without doubt - but he saw their best days were gone, in some cases the hunger had gone too.

Its there for Arteta - if he is bold enough to flog the likes of Xhaka, Elneny, Bellerin, fuck Ceballos back off, Mustafi and any other hangers on.....and promote kids or sign younger hungrier players, he has the chance to create his own chapter at the club

The 'easy'/please like me alternative of course will be to carry on playing these twats and extending their deals.

The choice is his - and it will largely define his success or otherwise as a manager

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:37 am
Nos89 wrote:

There is no way Ozil will play for Arsenal again as long as Arteta is in charge and rightly so.
100%

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:48 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 pm
Nos89 wrote:

And that's my point about this being a pivotal moment for Arteta - does he recognise that playing the same old twats that let the club down dozens of times was a mistake and one he has learned from......or will he revert to type at the sign of the first hiccup under these kids (which will happen within the next month or so almost for certain). That will define him as a manager

When George Graham was appointed manager of Arsenal he was 41 years old and had never managed in the top flight. Arteta was only 4 years his junior and had been coaching some of the world's finest players for 2 years before being appointed our manager

When GG came in he got rid of senior players like Tony Woodcock and Tommy Caton immediately - decisions that would have been extremely hard to do as a young and inexperienced manager. He made Tony Adams his captain at 20 and he played every game in his first season, and promoted Martin Hayes who ended up top scorer with 24 goals. Niall Quinn at 21 years old was the second highest scorer.

The bloke got rid of some of the biggest characters in the dressing room - Rix, Anderson, Sansom, Steve Williams - hard to manage, experienced international footballers with big pay packets. That would have been hard to do without doubt - but he saw their best days were gone, in some cases the hunger had gone too.

Its there for Arteta - if he is bold enough to flog the likes of Xhaka, Elneny, Bellerin, fuck Ceballos back off, Mustafi and any other hangers on.....and promote kids or sign younger hungrier players, he has the chance to create his own chapter at the club

The 'easy'/please like me alternative of course will be to carry on playing these twats and extending their deals.

The choice is his - and it will largely define his success or otherwise as a manager

GG had managerial experience, arteta has none - arteta has experience working with some of the best players in the world (aguero, david silva, fernandino etc), but how much coaching did they need or did he provide given that they were world class long before he arrived ?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

As Stevo said, he's had a good week!
Nothing more nothing less,
It will take 10 or more good games to even begin to win me round, I'm not saying 10 straight wins, but games that show improvement!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm
It will take 10 or more good games to even begin to win me round, I'm not saying 10 straight wins, but games that show improvement!
Its the transfer window too Sid. I know we're not loaded but will be looking at the coming and goings with great interest. Getting shot of that tub of lard back to Schalke on loan is a promising start but there's a bus load who should be following him out of the door. If we're prepared to loan out Mkhitaryian, Guendouzi and Torreira then surely some of the other wage bill cloggers like Mustafi can be punted out too, if even on loan. I'd rather use the second half of the season working out if some of these young lads will make it, rather than playing utter c.unts like Mustafi in the cups when its clear he'll never fucking make it.

A really important January for selection policy, results and transfers - shit or bust for him I think

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:57 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:55 pm
Its the transfer window too Sid. I know we're not loaded but will be looking at the coming and goings with great interest. Getting shot of that tub of lard back to Schalke on loan is a promising start but there's a bus load who should be following him out of the door. If we're prepared to loan out Mkhitaryian, Guendouzi and Torreira then surely some of the other wage bill cloggers like Mustafi can be punted out too, if even on loan. I'd rather use the second half of the season working out if some of these young lads will make it, rather than playing utter c.unts like Mustafi in the cups when its clear he'll never fucking make it.

A really important January for selection policy, results and transfers - shit or bust for him I think
Have we still got Mkhitaryian on our books ...FFS?

Cant we sell anyone?

augie

Post by augie »

Armenian pussy is no longer on our books - we sold him to roma (probably for a pittance)