Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

mcdowell42

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:33 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 am
Lets be honest with each passing season we become less and less of a draw for players, the club needs a complete overhaul and under these owners and under this manager it is not going to happen. In the past we could argue various reasons to keep attracting better players, initially Chumps league football, history, London, class whatever but the more time goes by, the further we slip, the less attractive these other things become. For all the tongue in cheek cracks about mid-table team that is exactly what we have become under the Kroenkes and latter day Wenger.

The reason we end up with these ridiculous contracts is because in their infinite wisdom the idiots in charge think that keeping these people such as Ozil is more important than than cutting your losses, I could understand it if they were putting in performances week in week out and there was an option to rebuild around them but that is not going to happen, it is also why we end up with has-beens such as Willian.

Arteta is not the coach any of us want but on this one point I will defend him he didnt create the mess he stepped into it was already here, he may have made some things worse but it was abysmal before he arrived and that, is for me at least, the one reason a total novice coach should not have been appointed, it is also the one reason I believe he was, the power brokers wanted someone malleable and less likely to rock the boat or ask for what they didnt want to give. :rubchin:

Last nights game was stark for me, out of the starting line up the players I would actually consider worth keeping were KT, Leno although I'm not a huge fan and Mari who is slowly growing on me even though not a world beater......and that's it, not even PEA because I think he is exactly what my BvB mate warned me of, a sulky little bitch who only performs when things are perfect for him. It's truly scary when you look at it like that, they were supposedly some of our senior professionals last night and they looked like they were out for a stroll.

Defensively we lack a RB, a good back up LB for KT and a backup RB and then we can hope that between Gabriel, Saliba, Rikik, Holding, Chambers and Mari we find enough to build on, the rest of them are all surplus

Midfield we can keep ESR, Saka, Partey and maybe a few young guys brought in from the Academy, the less said about the rest of them the better

Forwards Martinelli although I'm seriously worried about his injury problems, Laca until someone better can be got in and although looking less and less likely Balogun, again the rest aren't worth the paycheck

So that is it, cant even build a balanced first 11 and a bench....... without seriously dipping into the Academy

Realistically it is a case of balancing off who is the least shit from the rest to keep a viable squad.... some people keep putting their heads in the clouds and saying that the squad isnt that bad but they are seriously deluded our squad is terrible and the attitude from some of them is utterly attrocious
Jesus we are going to have to introduce a maximum word count on here...... :yawn:

Get rid of the towers :banghead:

:barscarf: Only fucking with ya buddy! :wink:

Have to agree with every word mate. We have a handful of decent players and half a handful of young players that an experienced manager might get more out of.

But at best we are currently a top 10 team - anywhere maybe from 10th to 6th - and that's only because the PL is complete shit and there are so many teams that are shitter than our shitness.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I think our squad is the next level up. 3rd to 6th. Take son and kane out of spurs what have you got? Same with Leicester, take Vardy out and Tielemans again, a team left floundering.
This season has proven our squad has a bloody attitude problem, not a quality issue. Looking at the squad we have better quality players covering all positions except the goalie. Leno is a very good keeper and should've been player of year last season, however, he's not even close to being the best one in the league, or in the top 5.
Areta can mange the kids and coach them into a fantastic side, as indicated by the performances against the chavs (who have a strronger squad than we do, but the manager hasn't sorted them out yet). and west brom.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm
I think our squad is the next level up. 3rd to 6th. Take son and kane out of spurs what have you got? Same with Leicester, take Vardy out and Tielemans again, a team left floundering.
This season has proven our squad has a bloody attitude problem, not a quality issue. Looking at the squad we have better quality players covering all positions except the goalie. Leno is a very good keeper and should've been player of year last season, however, he's not even close to being the best one in the league, or in the top 5.
Areta can mange the kids and coach them into a fantastic side, as indicated by the performances against the chavs (who have a strronger squad than we do, but the manager hasn't sorted them out yet). and west brom.

No chance - both of their right fulls are better than bellend, and kante and maybe pulisic would get into our team, but after that not one of their players would get into our team imo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Shite attempt at quoting there McD! :lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Quote Towers out :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

arteta's comments on willian's performance against the geordies -

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta issues Emile Smith Rowe warning in passionate Willian defence (Image: GETTY)

"I think he was improving and improving. The other he day he came on really well against West Brom," Arteta said of the uninspiring Willian.

"He's been out as well because he was ill, so he's missed almost two weeks of training and football and today it was the first time that he started the game.

"He had some good moments and he had some other moments where he needed more help sometimes and some decisions weren't the best. But we're gonna keep trying with him.

"He's showing in training how much he wants it. He's got some highlights, and it's about keeping the confidence on him. We know the player that he is and it's about time to show it."

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

and that is why the man should not be in charge at Arsenal!! :roll: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

WTAF is Gibb-Lite on about? Good moments? What good moments? :roll:

Ok in fairness Wilian did manage to walk onto and off the pitch without his shorts falling down - does that count?

Obviously it does in fucking Stupidityland. :roll:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Nos89 wrote:

No chance - both of their right fulls are better than bellend, and kante and maybe pulisic would get into our team, but after that not one of their players would get into our team imo
How many of our players would get into their first team? Tierney is the only one who'd get into any team above us, except Liverpool.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:13 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

How many of our players would get into their first team? Tierney is the only one who'd get into any team above us, except Liverpool.

Leno, Tierney, gabriel, mari, partey, smith-rowe, saka, lacazette, auba - martinelli would be 50/50 imo

They have 2 shit keepers, zouma as first choice centre back ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), kovacic, mount, werner, abraham, jorginho and hudson odoi and not one of them would make our starting team

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 pm
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Leno, Tierney, gabriel, mari, partey, smith-rowe, saka, lacazette, auba - martinelli would be 50/50 imo

They have 2 shit keepers, zouma as first choice centre back ( :coffeespit: :coffeespit: ), kovacic, mount, werner, abraham, jorginho and hudson odoi and not one of them would make our starting team
So, essentially you are saying we have a team that should be capable of competing higher up. I think we have the third/ fourth best squad in league. That's where we should be. Attitude is the problem, talent isn't.

augie

Post by augie »

Absolutely I am saying that we have a squad that should be competing higher up - to say if we are the third or fourth best squad is hard to judge because I have never seen a top flight with as many average squads as we see this season. It is unfathomable to me how manure and the chavs are even considered top 4 with the shite they have in their team, and it is more of a reflection on the opposition that they are there, than any great quality they have themselves :roll:

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

So, essentially you are saying we have a team that should be capable of competing higher up. I think we have the third/ fourth best squad in league. That's where we should be. Attitude is the problem, talent isn't.
Who at Chelsea is worse than Bellrin Luiz(they fucking kicked him out) AMN Mustafi Xhaka Elneny Willock Nelson Willian (they fucking kicked him out) Pepe and Nketiah. 3rd/4th best squad you are deluded.Chelsea have good players but a shit manager.Except for Leno Tierney Saka and Martinelli we are not very good

augie

Post by augie »

Ernie you listed a load of players (Bellerin Luiz, AMN Mustafi Xhaka Elneny Willock Nelson Willian Pepe and Nketiah), but with the exception of bellend, every single one of those players is a back-up/squad player. If you want to compare players, try comparing our first choice players (I listed them above), with their first choice players and then try and make an argument as to how in gods green earth you would think that they have a better team than we do.
You rightly point out that they have a shit manager, but if we had a better manager than pep's cone boy we would be country miles ahead of them

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Ernie71 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:

Who at Chelsea is worse than Bellrin Luiz(they fucking kicked him out) AMN Mustafi Xhaka Elneny Willock Nelson Willian (they fucking kicked him out) Pepe and Nketiah. 3rd/4th best squad you are deluded.Chelsea have good players but a shit manager.Except for Leno Tierney Saka and Martinelli we are not very good
So, the 4 exceptions are all players signed by Emery or first played by Emery

Willian is a player signed by Arteta

From the other players you list with the exception of David Luiz, the others were all Arsene Wenger players who Emery was stuck with and we finished 5th, reached a Europa League final and when he was sacked we were 3 places higher in the league than where we are now

We have gone backwards. The FA Cup and some one off performances against the better teams have bought him additional time and credit, but the league form has been pathetic since the day he took over