Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

People can try and defend the team selections all they like and claim 19 year olds like Martinelli need "rest" but the painful truth is that we have 3 big talents in Saliba, Martinelli and Balogun, and none of them will be here for much longer

If Luiz does get a new deal that just confirms what I've suspected - him, Holding and Gabriel will be the first 3 choice centre backs. He won't sign Luiz on the type of wages he's on to be a peripheral figure, and he would be a bad influence anyway so I can see Saliba gone in the summer.

Martinelli is consistently behind Willian, and since his return from injury has barely kicked a ball in anger. Willian is on a 3 year deal and I see an Ozil situation if we tried offloading him anyway......220k per week......who is going to pay that on the evidence of what they've seen since he signed?

Balogun hasn't made a PL squad all season has he? If that's someone you're trying to persuade to stay, you'd think it might be backed by actions

I'll place a bet right now that injuries and suspensions permitting we'll be kicking off next season with Bellerin, Luiz and Xhaka in the starting line up, and that Nketiah and Willian will be somewhere in the squad ahead of Balogun (who may not even be here) and Martinelli (no doubt waiting to be loaned out)

Depressing - but that's what happens with a young fool desperate to prove how right he is. Shadow of his former leader

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:37 pm
I'll just put this here and then go and hide. :lol:

The Independent report David Luiz is set to be offered another contract extension at #Arsenal, as Mikel Arteta greatly values his influence on his young team. https://t.co/bBzGDJp3NB
:shock:

To quote all those mawkish fucking social media arseholes that have to show just how badly affected they have been by any given tragedy :

"I have no words".

Unlike them I will not now write about two hundred words contradicting my "profound" first statement. :censored:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

It's very worrying times if you go by the comments on social media.

Feels like another Wenger situation with supporters divided.

Has every club got a vast amount of absolute c**** supporting them or is it just Arsenal?
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am
It's very worrying times if you go by the comments on social media.

Feels like another Wenger situation with supporters devided.

Has every club got a vast amount of absolute c**** supporting them or is it just Arsenal?

Surely not as divided as back then ? Wenger (wrongly) retained the loyalty of a large percentage of Gooners based on previous successes, but arteta hasnt got the same track record of success behind him. I know that he won the fa cup last season, but this season we have already last 10 league games and find ourselves in the heady heights of 10th place, whilst last season we finished a massive 43 behinds behind the champions :oops: He has no domestic cup to save him this season, and you would have to think that only a europa league trophy would redeem him in the eys of most fans

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Speaking of Wenger, did you hear him yesterday when he said he singlehandedly stopped the club from going under during the Emirates era :shock:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Echoing others, Martinez-lite's in-game management is fucking woeful. The line up was good, the start was good but he's fucking useless after that.

Feel sorry for Martinelli. Wouldn't blame him if he left. The lad obviously needs confidence, so why not bring him in in a game where we looked like scoring with every attack we have? No, instead he brings on Willian. Now I know my dislike of Willian is clear, but did ANY of you genuinely hear his name mentioned once after he came on? :shock:

We're stuck with a stubborn, inexperienced manager who benefitted from water breaks last season. Nothing more.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 pm
Speaking of Wenger, did you hear him yesterday when he said he singlehandedly stopped the club from going under during the Emirates era :shock:
Yep. Complete nonsense as previously discussed on here. Us "nearly going under" never stopped him from overpaying his precious little petals and never stopped him extending contracts for shit players with huge pay rises. Indeed it never prevented him from trousering his 8million a year either.... :roll:

The money was there. He just mispent it on his vanity project. :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:33 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Yep. Complete nonsense as previously discussed on here. Us "nearly going under" never stopped him from overpaying his precious little petals and never stopped him extending contracts for shit players with huge pay rises. Indeed it never prevented him from trousering his 8million a year either.... :roll:

The money was there. He just mispent it on his vanity project. :roll:
100 %

We were still getting huge numbers through the gates - champions league money (till recently) sponsors income etc.

We may not have been making the large profits that we were, but we still had sufficient money.

Just when I’d nearly forgotten what a Wenker that bloke was, he comes out of his mansion to remind me

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Whilst pocketing £8m a year in the process.......bless him

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 am
rodders999 wrote:
Whilst pocketing £8m a year in the process.......bless him
Ah but that wasn't wages it was his 'consultancy fee' for using his financial genius and keeping us afloat :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I can understand the talk of a player/ coaching role for Luiz as the long as the playing is as 4th choice CB behind Holding, Mari and Gabriel. Maybe alongside Medley or Saliba (if he comes back) in domestic cup games.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Is it wrong to give Arteta the nickname Gorilla glue head?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm
No it’s not, but I’m not convinced it will stick

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:29 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm
No it’s not, but I’m not convinced it will stick
:lol: :barscarf:

meh

Post by meh »

What an utter sanctimonious cvnt Arteta is. Will singlehandedly ruin our young talents. GTFO of my club you tw@t :banghead: