CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:48 pm
Jab done, just sitting in the waiting room to be released after my 15 minutes.

Have to say fantastic organisation and procedures all done by volunteers.

Feels like my blood pressure has gone through
the roof though. Stressed!! :lol:
Pleased to hear Clummo. I hope your sore arm doesn't prevent you from putting the stream on tonight!

shu

Post by shu »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm
I'd like to add my main preference would be to hold off having the vaccine at all for a while longer but I've been shielding for almost a year. I'd love a bit of freedom to actually leave the house for something other than trips to Sainsburys. :lol:
And that is the point , a wasted vaccination on another old ungrateful miserable *word censored* (retread your recent posts old man ) , so you can add the garden centre to Sainsbury’s !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

Pleased to hear Clummo. I hope your sore arm doesn't prevent you from putting the stream on tonight!
Yeah! Mate how on earth will we all survive without our weekly dose of High Stress and occasional large chunk of frustration and misery!? :D

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

shu wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm
I'd like to add my main preference would be to hold off having the vaccine at all for a while longer but I've been shielding for almost a year. I'd love a bit of freedom to actually leave the house for something other than trips to Sainsburys. :lol:
And that is the point , a wasted vaccination on another old ungrateful miserable *word censored* (retread your recent posts old man ) , so you can add the garden centre to Sainsbury’s !
You just checked in son? :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

That makes a change, Shu normally comes before everyone else! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:15 pm
I never understood when it first emerged in Wuhan and would easily be transmitted daily flights from Wuhan to the UK were still being allowed and with no checking of anyone on those flights
lost my sister in law to it this week other than being overweight and 64 no other health issues lived near King Lyn in a small village not a dense populated area
Sorry to hear of your loss gazza, very sad news and that's no age either.

I will be going to a funeral of an uncle Monday and a nephews on Friday, he was 26, he had become depressed and was found in his bed by his dad, puts things into perspective.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:

Glad you had your jab mate, hope it helps and relieves some stress.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
I never understood when it first emerged in Wuhan and would easily be transmitted daily flights from Wuhan to the UK were still being allowed and with no checking of anyone on those flights
lost my sister in law to it this week other than being overweight and 64 no other health issues lived near King Lyn in a small village not a dense populated area

I will be going to a funeral of an uncle Monday and a nephews on Friday, he was 26, he had become depressed and was found in his bed by his dad, puts things into perspective.
thank you
was the nephew suicide ?
that is awful if it is
not something I wish any parent to have to deal with

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:

Lefty that’s awful mate - so sorry to hear that.

Gazzatt2 glad you have had your jab done.

My partner has had hers, Oxford one, with no adverse reaction just a slightly sore arm for a day, she has asthma, so it’s a relief to know she has some protection now.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Really worried about this rumour that all school years will go back together on 8th March - honest to fucking god, its the very trigger point that started the second wave

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

And yet the same voices are peddling the same comments . "Get the kids back and let the parents go to work " save furlough , then "Boost the economy " " get the pubs open as Spring is here " and add to that all the old and vunerable have been vaccinated .Not saying only once of course

It's no coincidence that the second spike started when children and adults were allowed to mix all their bubbles at once. In the house next door to me they have three children 7 , 9 and 13 . All in classes of 30 plus in 2 different schools how do they keep a lid on the virus spreading .? Both parents are at home Furloughed but all 5 despite testing negative were quite ill over Christmas.
My grandaughter tested positive two days before Christmas break up , both her parents are working at home and had not been out for 2 weeks apart from taking her to school . So there is only one place that she could have caught it . But schools are safe and kids don't spread it .

Apparently.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm
And yet the same voices are peddling the same comments . "Get the kids back and let the parents go to work " save furlough , then "Boost the economy " " get the pubs open as Spring is here " and add to that all the old and vunerable have been vaccinated .Not saying only once of course

It's no coincidence that the second spike started when children and adults were allowed to mix all their bubbles at once. In the house next door to me they have three children 7 , 9 and 13 . All in classes of 30 plus in 2 different schools how do they keep a lid on the virus spreading .? Both parents are at home Furloughed but all 5 despite testing negative were quite ill over Christmas.
My grandaughter tested positive two days before Christmas break up , both her parents are working at home and had not been out for 2 weeks apart from taking her to school . So there is only one place that she could have caught it . But schools are safe and kids don't spread it .

Apparently.
They should keep schools closed until all the over 50s and the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated with one dose. That could be as early as mid march, with 3 weeks for immunity to optimise after the first dose takes us up to the Easter Period.

We could cancel summer half term and have a shorter summer holiday to try and catch up with missed schooling.

The problem is what will happen with mutations next winter. I am hoping that the UK/EU/US look after the poorer countries and stop a new variant coming back with vengeance. It bothers me that China and Russia, despite being nowhere near vaccinating their own populations are wholesale buttering up a lot of countries that don't have any procurement/supply agreement from one of the major biotech companies in the West. This is a global issue , not the time for nationalism IMO.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:32 pm
A11M11 wrote:

Apparently.
They should keep schools closed until all the over 50s and the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated with one dose. That could be as early as mid march, with 3 weeks for immunity to optimise after the first dose takes us up to the Easter Period.

We could cancel summer half term and have a shorter summer holiday to try and catch up with missed schooling.

The problem is what will happen with mutations next winter. I am hoping that the UK/EU/US look after the poorer countries and stop a new variant coming back with vengeance. It bothers me that China and Russia, despite being nowhere near vaccinating their own populations are wholesale buttering up a lot of countries that don't have any procurement/supply agreement from one of the major biotech companies in the West. This is a global issue , not the time for nationalism IMO.
Pretty much agree with that, and even when all the over 50s are done should we really have every single year go back in one big bang? For those where the exams have been cancelled is there even much point? I mean I know the assessments are still important but my lad was on his GCSE year last year, sent home in March and those 'missed months' at the very end barely seemed to matter. Primary school kids is a different thing and obviously requires a lot more home schooling but one would argue that 13-14 upwards should need little home schooling, and legally can be at home alone if parents need to work.

I really think this 'all flock back' on March 8th will be the latest major fuck up. It might not lead to as many deaths as the most vulnerable will have been vaccinated but I can see it delaying the rest of the economy opening up as cases will rise amongst all the other age groups again.

Of course there will need to be exceptions for vulnerable children or those without the facilities to learn from home, but many children of key workers are already in school and shouldn't make a big difference

For the sake of 6-7 extra weeks I'd have all over 14s still at home

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:32 pm
A11M11 wrote:

Apparently.

Over 50's ?? Are you fcuking kidding me ??? These kids need a proper education cos the world wont wait for them. How are they gonna get jobs or collecge etc if they are not properly educated ? Do you think that they should all repeat this school year and finish secondary school a year older ? If not then they cannot just skip 6 months learning as though it doesnt matter. As someone said above, when dopey boris announced that 15m british people have been vaccinated, what he means is that they have received their first shot, but he is being sneaky by suugesting that those 15m have been vaccinated - you are NOT vaccinated until you receive your second shot (hence why it is done that way), so when you are saying that schools shouldnt return until over 50s have been vaccinated, your timeline needs to reflect that they need two shots, and that sure as shit wont happen until autumn AT THE EARLIEST

I agree with steve o when he says that school classes/years should see staggered returns instead of all at once though.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

I've always wondered why splitting a class in half and alternating a day in school and a day home schooling has never been mooted.

Still not ideal but it has to be better than shoving everyone back together at once. Social distancing would be easier to maintain too.