CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

My company carry out works for schools and tbh a lot of them are almost full anyway, I was talking to a school admin worker recently when the phone rang, anyhow after coming off the phone she said that it was a parent saying they were key workers and she had to tell them to fill in the necessary forms.

That school has 340 pupils when in full flow, they at present had 320.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

The NEU have come up with a few options for schooling going forward but all seem to have fallen on deaf ears or dismissed out of hand.

LeftfootlegendGooner

StuartL wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:41 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:15 pm
I never understood when it first emerged in Wuhan and would easily be transmitted daily flights from Wuhan to the UK were still being allowed and with no checking of anyone on those flights
lost my sister in law to it this week other than being overweight and 64 no other health issues lived near King Lyn in a small village not a dense populated area
Sorry to hear of your loss gazza, very sad news and that's no age either.

I will be going to a funeral of an uncle Monday and a nephews on Friday, he was 26, he had become depressed and was found in his bed by his dad, puts things into perspective.

Lefty that’s awful mate - so sorry to hear that.

Gazzatt2 glad you have had your jab done.

My partner has had hers, Oxford one, with no adverse reaction just a slightly sore arm for a day, she has asthma, so it’s a relief to know she has some protection now.
Thanks stu, yes, Steve rang me after the police had left, obviously they were there a long time, tbh it took me a while to take it in, I couldn't believe what he was saying, very surreal and excruciating.

I still struggle to take it in, I was also his godfather and very close to the lad, he grew up with my boy and would always come to meals at restaurants and we would go to their house or to mine for meals on a regular occasion.

I had spoken to him by video link just a few days previous and he seemed in good spirits and we had great banter, guess we never know what is happening underneath.

I have 27 nieces and nephews, a lot of my nephews come to me for support, hell, a lot of them have lived at my house for periods when they need support.

I'm just gutted that I couldn't help Jamie, his funeral is Friday.

I'm not religious but I know a lot of guys are on here, say a prayer for my baby nephew Jamie if you could, he was a beautiful being, a loving boy who was no trouble and very loving but just at times sad.

Two funerals in a week, fucks sake.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:32 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm
And yet the same voices are peddling the same comments . "Get the kids back and let the parents go to work " save furlough , then "Boost the economy " " get the pubs open as Spring is here " and add to that all the old and vunerable have been vaccinated .Not saying only once of course

It's no coincidence that the second spike started when children and adults were allowed to mix all their bubbles at once. In the house next door to me they have three children 7 , 9 and 13 . All in classes of 30 plus in 2 different schools how do they keep a lid on the virus spreading .? Both parents are at home Furloughed but all 5 despite testing negative were quite ill over Christmas.
My grandaughter tested positive two days before Christmas break up , both her parents are working at home and had not been out for 2 weeks apart from taking her to school . So there is only one place that she could have caught it . But schools are safe and kids don't spread it .

Apparently.
They should keep schools closed until all the over 50s and the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated with one dose. That could be as early as mid march, with 3 weeks for immunity to optimise after the first dose takes us up to the Easter Period.

We could cancel summer half term and have a shorter summer holiday to try and catch up with missed schooling.

The problem is what will happen with mutations next winter. I am hoping that the UK/EU/US look after the poorer countries and stop a new variant coming back with vengeance. It bothers me that China and Russia, despite being nowhere near vaccinating their own populations are wholesale buttering up a lot of countries that don't have any procurement/supply agreement from one of the major biotech companies in the West. This is a global issue , not the time for nationalism IMO.

Over 50's ?? Are you fcuking kidding me ??? These kids need a proper education cos the world wont wait for them. How are they gonna get jobs or collecge etc if they are not properly educated ? Do you think that they should all repeat this school year and finish secondary school a year older ? If not then they cannot just skip 6 months learning as though it doesnt matter. As someone said above, when dopey boris announced that 15m british people have been vaccinated, what he means is that they have received their first shot, but he is being sneaky by suugesting that those 15m have been vaccinated - you are NOT vaccinated until you receive your second shot (hence why it is done that way), so when you are saying that schools shouldnt return until over 50s have been vaccinated, your timeline needs to reflect that they need two shots, and that sure as shit wont happen until autumn AT THE EARLIEST

I agree with steve o when he says that school classes/years should see staggered returns instead of all at once though.
Augie, we are miles ahead of schedule In the UK. Over 50s will have at least one jab by next month. This is the UK not anywhere else I am talking about. We could still have everyone back for pretty much one term this year, when the top four groups have had second doses, with the children who are older going back last as they are more likely to transmit the virus.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 pm
StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:
I never understood when it first emerged in Wuhan and would easily be transmitted daily flights from Wuhan to the UK were still being allowed and with no checking of anyone on those flights
lost my sister in law to it this week other than being overweight and 64 no other health issues lived near King Lyn in a small village not a dense populated area

I will be going to a funeral of an uncle Monday and a nephews on Friday, he was 26, he had become depressed and was found in his bed by his dad, puts things into perspective.

My partner has had hers, Oxford one, with no adverse reaction just a slightly sore arm for a day, she has asthma, so it’s a relief to know she has some protection now.
Thanks stu, yes, Steve rang me after the police had left, obviously they were there a long time, tbh it took me a while to take it in, I couldn't believe what he was saying, very surreal and excruciating.

I still struggle to take it in, I was also his godfather and very close to the lad, he grew up with my boy and would always come to meals at restaurants and we would go to their house or to mine for meals on a regular occasion.

I had spoken to him by video link just a few days previous and he seemed in good spirits and we had great banter, guess we never know what is happening underneath.

I have 27 nieces and nephews, a lot of my nephews come to me for support, hell, a lot of them have lived at my house for periods when they need support.

I'm not religious but I know a lot of guys are on here, say a prayer for my baby nephew Jamie if you could, he was a beautiful being, a loving boy who was no trouble and very loving but just at times sad.

Really sad to hear that Lefty - much love and best wishes to everyone close to your nephew

Sadly too common in younger fellas still......my next door neighbour's son took his own life age 23 a few years back and I saw first hand the devastating impact it had on everyone around them, particularly the parents of course. Similar thing really - I'd seen the lad a few days before.....had a good job, girlfriend etc...........only afterwards his Dad told me they'd been keeping an eye on him for years, but nobody would ever have known. Too awful for words - sending you strength pal

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

so sorry to hear that
not religious but will say a prayer
the only advice I can give for the parent that was given to me is
you won't ever get over it but you will learn to live with it

LeftfootlegendGooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:29 am
StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

Really sad to hear that Lefty - much love and best wishes to everyone close to your nephew

Sadly too common in younger fellas still......my next door neighbour's son took his own life age 23 a few years back and I saw first hand the devastating impact it had on everyone around them, particularly the parents of course. Similar thing really - I'd seen the lad a few days before.....had a good job, girlfriend etc...........only afterwards his Dad told me they'd been keeping an eye on him for years, but nobody would ever have known. Too awful for words - sending you strength pal
Thanks SteveO, means a lot, that does sound familiar, Steve was keeping an eye on him for a while.

Thanks for the love, appreciated.

LeftfootlegendGooner

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 pm
StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

so sorry to hear that
Thank you Gazza, that's really kind, I don't want to be too intrusive but I'm guessing that this tragically happened to you.

nut flush gooner

StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

Crazy thread isn't this one, on the one hand we are trying to find a path out of this with minimal collateral damage to the young and old, and on the other the harsh reality that the last year has been truly historical with many tragic stories.

Thoughts and prayers with your nephew. Proper rollercoaster this, you kind of think that the vaccines will be the silver bullet, I am worried we might have another grim winter if we don't get as many people vaccinated as possible around the world.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

so sorry to hear that
Thank you Gazza, that's really kind, I don't want to be too intrusive but I'm guessing that this tragically happened to you.
sadly yes
eldest son seven years in April
was away at university
had no problems no mental heath issues no warning what so ever
found out the Thursday evening before Eater
the whole weekend without any information other than it had happened until the Tuesday

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:33 am
gazzatt2 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

so sorry to hear that
sadly yes
was away at university
the whole weekend without any information other than it had happened until the Tuesday
Jeez Gazzatt2, no parent should have to go through that....can’t begin to imagine the pain you went through.

When it’s an elderly relative passing it’s bad enough, but at least you can come to terms with it
(My dad has COPD and is on oxygen on and off all day and has been for the last 2 years approx - he isn’t going to get better, it’s just a question of managing it and making him as comfortable as possible, but he is 83 and has had a good life and has a lovely wife (remarried, not my mum) who thankfully, looks after him so well)

LeftfootlegendGooner

gazzatt2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:33 am
gazzatt2 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

so sorry to hear that
sadly yes
was away at university
Thats really sad mate, tragic, I feel for you.

LeftfootlegendGooner

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 am
StuartL wrote:
gazzatt2 wrote:

Crazy thread isn't this one, on the one hand we are trying to find a path out of this with minimal collateral damage to the young and old, and on the other the harsh reality that the last year has been truly historical with many tragic stories.

Thoughts and prayers with your nephew. Proper rollercoaster this, you kind of think that the vaccines will be the silver bullet, I am worried we might have another grim winter if we don't get as many people vaccinated as possible around the world.
Thanks Nutflush, much appreciated and yes we do need to vaccinate as many people as possible.

nut flush gooner

First game of next season, full stadium at the Emirates. The dream!

I really hope the vaccine takeup in the under 50s is high. It will need to be communicated that if we don't get to herd immunity by having at least 80% takeup across the population, this leaves the door open for a possible mutation next winter. I know some people wont like this, but I am in favour of vaccine passports.

As this pandemic subsides I think we will need some sort of memorial day, to remember those that succumbed during probably the hardest years in this country for quite some time. Certainly since WW2.

augie

Post by augie »

Papers over here are taking the piss out of our government today - they are to stage a press conference to lay out their plan for "living with covid", and apparently that plan entails us doing nothing and staying cautious for another 6 weeks :roll:

Compare that to the uk plan announced yesterday where everything was laid out in stages and when the different aspects of life will reopen - it may not work to plan, but at least they are giving the people a timeframe letting them know that if we keep being sensible we will see all these reopenings.

We are being told to keep doing nothing but we are offering you no hope anytime soon :banghead: :censored: :censored: :censored: