Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

How's that imposter Ancelotti getting on?

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

You could be forgiven for thinking Pep was doing his protege a massive favour by the way City took their foot off the pedal after the first few minutes yesterday. If we had lost 7 or 8-0, which we could easily have done the way it started, Arteta's job would have been back on the line. As it is, the result gives a misleading impression that it was a half-creditable show against a team like City in the form they have been. In truth, we stank the place out and once City realised they could play at half pace it had the feel of a testimonial.

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 am
You could be forgiven for thinking Pep was doing his protege a massive favour by the way City took their foot off the pedal after the first few minutes yesterday. If we had lost 7 or 8-0, which we could easily have done the way it started, Arteta's job would have been back on the line. As it is, the result gives a misleading impression that it was a half-creditable show against a team like City in the form they have been. In truth, we stank the place out and once City realised they could play at half pace it had the feel of a testimonial.

Half pace ?? I think you are being generous cos in my opinion that went down to first or second gear at most

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Anyone catch Pep Baldy Cardigan Wearer's nauseating utter horseshit post match felching of Stupid Hair Martinez-Lite last night? :oops:

I'm still vomiting. :?

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Yesterday was a disgrace, yes City are much better than us but does that mean we go out with a defeatist attitude?
We were beaten before the game started, the players were happy to lose 0-1, no drive or determination to even try and get a result, and that is totally down to the manager, he clearly cant send a team out with the right mentality from the start of the game, that`s a massive failing on Arteta`s part let alone him constantly picking players who have done nothing to deserve to start a game ie Pepe, Odegaard, Bellerin Auba.
Absolute joke decisions!
Pepe has had his two best games for us when he has played on the left and has been shit on the right side for at least 80 games, so he picks him to play on the right!! absolute bollox!
I so want Arteta to be successful but am seriously starting to doubt he has the qualities needed. His decisions are becoming stranger and the performances are abysmal, its ok making strange decisions if you are proved right by picking up 3 points but when you dont questions need to be asked!

John F

Post by John F »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:36 pm
Yesterday was a disgrace, yes City are much better than us but does that mean we go out with a defeatist attitude?
We were beaten before the game started, the players were happy to lose 0-1, no drive or determination to even try and get a result, and that is totally down to the manager, he clearly cant send a team out with the right mentality from the start of the game, that`s a massive failing on Arteta`s part let alone him constantly picking players who have done nothing to deserve to start a game ie Pepe, Odegaard, Bellerin Auba.
Absolute joke decisions!
Pepe has had his two best games for us when he has played on the left and has been shit on the right side for at least 80 games, so he picks him to play on the right!! absolute bollox!
I so want Arteta to be successful but am seriously starting to doubt he has the qualities needed. His decisions are becoming stranger and the performances are abysmal, its ok making strange decisions if you are proved right by picking up 3 points but when you dont questions need to be asked!
That is my view .I expected to lose but for once i wanted a bit of a fight in our performance.I thought we were awful in the second half with little urgency to get a result.The rare occasion when we did approach their penalty box we would pass it out wide for the ball to be launched into the area to no one and the passing around at the back slowing our game down was driving me insane.Lacazette was playing well then gets dropped and as you say Saka was playing well on the right and Pep e showed some improvement on the left but for this match they are swapped back.The continued ignoring of Martinelli who can head a ball is a mystery especially with Aub a having another nightmare game.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I think Arteta is making life difficult for himself by continually tinkering with the team. The single biggest reason for not gaining any consistency and momentum. Injuries and suspension are taken as a natural reason.
Changing the team because you want to show how to tactically astute you can be then we may have a bigger problem.
Partnership's that currently work well are Auba and lacazette, ESR and Saka, Tierney and Martinelli, Holding and Mari.
The midfield partnership is our weakness although this season Partey and Elneny seem to be our strongest midfield partnership.
Unfortunately, finding a working partner with our RB is also our weakness.
However, changing the team so frequently breaks this up and leads to lack of cohesion.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

I think this summers transfer window is huge for Arteta. Chances are next season things will have some semblance of normality and it will be his 2nd full season at the club.

This will be his 3rd transfer window. Next season we need to get much closer to top 4.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

fivetothree wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:03 pm
I think this summers transfer window is huge for Arteta. Chances are next season things will have some semblance of normality and it will be his 2nd full season at the club.

This will be his 3rd transfer window. Next season we need to get much closer to top 4.
I disagree, this summers transfer window doesn't matter at all because no matter who he buys or sells he is not capable of managing this team or at this level yet or possibly ever.

When Wenger went i wanted one thing, sustained improvement especially defensively, i knew it would take time and potentially a few managers.

Emery initially improved things but then went on his tinkering spell and started sacrificing goals at one end in the attempt to out score the opposition and things rapidly went down hill, the amount of chances we were conceding was getting stupid against teams that we should have been able to shut out.

Moving on to Arteta the level of tinkering and imbalance, combined with utterly woeful tactical changes and substitutions is on another level from Emery, i am absolutely certain Arteta has absolutely no idea what to do once he sends the players out on to the pitch. As has been pointed out by Augie and others it is blatantly obvious that the Manager has his favourites and will play those individuals immaterial of their performances week in week out, he is like Wenger reincarnated 30 years younger a man who is utterly determined to do things his own way because he knows he is right and everyne else has no idea what they are talking about. When a Manager, no matter what profession he is in starting regularly using phrases like 'trust the process' you know they are out their depth, in football it is tantamount to begging every one to follow blindly along because you've run out of actual reasons for things going badly

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Okay scrapping through to the last 16 of the Europa League was a life saver.
The Odegaard signing is ruining our season. It's not the players fault it's the manager's. We had a bit of momentum before he can and it's clear the manager rates him. However, a front 4 of ESR, Saka, Auba (on the left) and Lacazette through the middle was starting to find some form.
Suddenly it's derailed. Odegaard, will get caught out as he does that 180 turn, Cellabos does. This evening there were at least four occasion he should played the ball through the middle for Auba to run onto but went sideways or backwards. So much for finding a pass. We've already got a player like that his name is Xhaka.
We could be 14th by the end of the weekend. Arteta needs to pick the team that works well together, not necessarily the one he is obliged to pick for loanees.

John F

Post by John F »

Wouldn't it just be Fantastic if it was Arteta v Emery next round. :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

John F wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm
Wouldn't it just be Fantastic if it was Arteta v Emery next round. :barscarf:
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Dunno if any of you heard the interview arteta had on bt pre match with some dizzy 'mare - she put some question to him about playing saka, smith-rowe and auba in the same team, and he responded by saying that he wants his team to control the game and that we always go out to win the game, and I'm thinking to myself "is he taking the fcuking piss ?" :shock: Last sunday was a shameful "let's set up to lose narrowly and not bother trying to win the game" tactical performance, and just 4 days later he comes out telling people how he always tries to win the game ??? Please fcuking do one you useless c.unt :censored: :cussing: :cussing:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The experiment continues....

This weekend its Leicester for us whilst the two teams below us have Fulham and Newcastle

Every chance we will be 13th with 12 games to go

The improvement is obvious eh

John F

Post by John F »

We have the Tiny Totts around the same time as the next round. I think those 3 games may well determine Arleta's future. If he gets knocked out and allows the Spuds to do the double over us then he won't survive but if he manages to get a result in either then he will be allowed to continue the process to near the end of his contact next season.