CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Clummo99 »

Not closing our borders has been the single biggest error imo. Such a missed opportunity. I've said before as an island nation, not landlocked like Belgium etc, it was a simple solution that would certainly have helped get on top of things very early.

Agree with you A11M11 about schools. Wouldn't really do much harm in the grand scheme if they went back a little bit later. It would definitely be more beneficial.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm
I don't blame anyone for being pissed off and I don't need to go to Oireland .

Currently the R rate is about 0.75 and over the last month cases are falling at about 20% a week.
Opening schools to all kids( they are currently open to vulnerable kids and key workers) is estimated to increase the R rate by about 40% so about 0.3.making 1.05
Cases are currently at 11,000 so with an R rate at 1.05 cases could easily increase at a rate of over 500 a week.
Delaying everything for 5 more weeks (for schools this is only 14 days of educationbecause of Easter) would at current levels decrease the rate from 1100 to below 400.
So when the rate goes up it would increase by 20 cases per week. Furthermore you would have 5 weeks more of first vaccinations and many of the original group getting their second .
To me it's bleeding obvious , I know people are stir crazy and the photos of London when the sun came out showed that they are ready to break ranks but if instead of complicated graphs on Hancocks half hour actual explanetary figures like the ones I have given were publicised , I reckon most people could follow them and we all would be safer in the long run.
BTW Rob , I would have shut the borders months ago and only had people coming in under the strictest conditions carrying food and the like.
With regards to R A11M11 no one really knows for sure. The anticipated figure probably doesn't take into account the vaccine rollout and that by early March everyone in the top four priority groups will have some immunity. It has been reported in the last few days that the efficacy is very good on both AZN and Pfizer after 3/4 weeks of the first dose, plus there is early evidence of infection spread prevention. I would say that purely by the success of the vaccine rollout R would be reduced back below 1, and with the over 65s now being vaccinated there is a natural brake to the exponential spread of the virus.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 am
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 am
Papers over here are taking the piss out of our government today - they are to stage a press conference to lay out their plan for "living with covid", and apparently that plan entails us doing nothing and staying cautious for another 6 weeks :roll:

Compare that to the uk plan announced yesterday where everything was laid out in stages and when the different aspects of life will reopen - it may not work to plan, but at least they are giving the people a timeframe letting them know that if we keep being sensible we will see all these reopenings.

We are being told to keep doing nothing but we are offering you no hope anytime soon :banghead: :censored: :censored: :censored:
There are still plenty of people over here complaining about the timeframe. :roll:

Look, the timeframe might fall apart if things start going tits up over there again, but at least it is a plan and gives people some hope if they dont take the piss. We are being asked to lockdown, then to lockdown, and then to lockdown a bit longer :evil: Our government set up a sub committee and are having a press conference and announcement today that says that barring schoopls things will remain the same for another 6 weeks - we need to have a press conference for that ??
I have continually said it before and will say it again, there is no will or interest in the Irish government to get the country back open again - these c.unts would rather hide behind lockdowns than to actually do something positive or give any hope to the people. We are expected to keep sacrificing our lives without and prospect or encouragement that our sacrifice will be worthwhile - we were told that we had to wait for the vaccine and now that it is here there is still no change and the c.unts cant even organise getting it to the people most in need
If they didn't have the press conference you'd be complaining augie. :lol:

The problem here is the government are weak and indecisive and only concerned about getting re-elected. That is the reason we are where we are. The first piss weak attempt at lockdown failed because it wasn't strict or long enough - because the idiot government couldn't interfere with the gobshite populace's right to go get hammered on a saturday night God forbid. :roll:

The other problem is the amount of entitled cùnts in this country that keep breaking the rules.
One of the reason why so many have given up on the lockdown is because our government is telling us we cant do this and can only go as far as that while all the time letting other nationals come in from hot spots.

Can't blame people for being pissed off
They're not all foreign nationals rolling in through our airports. Thousands of entitled Oirish cùnts were and are doing it too. Being pissed off is understandable but not an acceptable excuse for being a selfish cùnt and dragging out the lockdown for everyone by breaking the rules.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

So there we have it - all the schools back on 8th March together.......great, what a fucking disaster that will be. Last year the R rate remained below 1 until late August, early September when everyone flooded back to school and university/college. Shops, restaurants and pubs had been open throughout the Summer and the R rate stayed at below 0.8.

So now we'll continue to close the things that didn't cause multiple outbreaks and re-open schools before all pupils and staff have been vaccinated. Genius. What could possibly go wrong

30 kids in a classroom is fine, only 2 people meeting outdoors on a park bench is a comparable risk?

What absolute nonsense

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm
So there we have it - all the schools back on 8th March together.......great, what a fucking disaster that will be. Last year the R rate remained below 1 until late August, early September when everyone flooded back to school and university/college. Shops, restaurants and pubs had been open throughout the Summer and the R rate stayed at below 0.8.

So now we'll continue to close the things that didn't cause multiple outbreaks and re-open schools before all pupils and staff have been vaccinated. Genius. What could possibly go wrong

30 kids in a classroom is fine, only 2 people meeting outdoors on a park bench is a comparable risk?

What absolute nonsense
I must admit that made me laugh out loud when I was watching the briefing.

I've already received an email from my daughter's head teacher reminding us that the return to school is compulsory. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm

What absolute nonsense
I must admit that made me laugh out loud when I was watching the briefing.

I've already received an email from my daughter's head teacher reminding us that the return to school is compulsory. :lol:
Give it 2-3 days maximum mate, and she'll be back home again when the first one in her class tests positive. My 17 year old was in and out of sixth form last term. Wonder why - groups of kids travelling together on buses and trains, all sat together. Utter madness - especially for older kids who are quite comfortable working from home

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Last August I booked Butlins in Minehead for May 17th for 4 nites.
So with Boris' dates we could be first through the gates.7 :barscarf:
All booked for Alcudia in August, so hopefully we will get a holiday this year. 8)
The thought of another summer stuck in Ireland ( north or south) is too depressing to contemplate! :cry:

Midz

Post by Midz »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:32 pm
All booked for Alcudia in August, so hopefully we will get a holiday this year. 8)
The thought of another summer stuck in Ireland ( north or south) is too depressing to contemplate! :cry:
Love Alcudia, been there 3 times awesome place.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Midz wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 pm
goonersid wrote:
Cala D'or in the South East of the island for me. My second home. :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm
Midz wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 pm
goonersid wrote:
Cala D'or in the South East of the island for me. My second home. :lol:
Tried Palma nova and can picafort, neither come close to Alcudia, this would be our 16th time.
Family friendly and some lovely restaurants.
Roll on summer :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

goonersid wrote:
Is it a music weekend mate ?

I quite fancy doing Skamouth at Great Yarmouth when things are back to normal - they do two weekends a year in April / October - think October may be doable

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

So my 17 year old has to do a test next week, ahead of the return to school on 8th March, then three tests per week after that, with home testing from the 15th

Quite what happens when someone tests positive and they've been in the same room as another 20+ kids the day before I don't know.........but it is bound to happen within the first couple of weeks of returning.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Only 20 SteveO .My grandaughter has 31 in a socialy distanced portacabin.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:

Ssshh - gooner rob will be after you calling you out for going foreign :lol: :lol:

Every year me and the family go to cambrillis and fly into salou except of course we couldnt go last year. This year the retards running our government were/are saying that non essential trips abroad (does mental sanity class as essential ?) will incur a fine of €1k when we fly back into the country, so I decided to check out prices if we flew from belfast - cannot believe not one airline flys direct to salou from belfast :shock: :shock:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:17 am
goonersid wrote:

Ssshh - gooner rob will be after you calling you out for going foreign :lol: :lol:

Every year me and the family go to cambrillis and fly into salou except of course we couldnt go last year. This year the retards running our government were/are saying that non essential trips abroad (does mental sanity class as essential ?) will incur a fine of €1k when we fly back into the country, so I decided to check out prices if we flew from belfast - cannot believe not one airline flys direct to salou from belfast :shock: :shock:
Cambrils is a lovely place. No egg and chips daubed cafes there! Nice fried octopus, patatas bravas and a cold Estrella.

I went there a few years back and got a taxi down from Barca. Not cheap, but there will be lots of flights that way. Its about an hours drive from Barca to the Cambrils area. There are also coach options.