Saliva Prague H Europa lge Quarter Final First leg Thurs 8th April KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Saliva Prague H Europa lge Quarter Final First leg Thurs 8th April KO 8pm

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 am
We'll scrape through something like 2-1 on the night or 2-2. We won't get thrashed until the semi final or of course, the final.
I too have this feeling we'll scrape through to the semi final before getting a hiding or maybe even the final before we get a hiding but I reckon this campaign ends for us with a proper good old ass raping...
Well at least that’s something to look forward to then :shock:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:53 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 pm
Like others i'm getting numb to it all, it hurts less and less each week.... i think most of us were expecting to concede after we scored and we weren't disappointed.

Even 3 years ago i'd have been fuming after the performance and result tonight, the performance against the Victims would have had me in a shit mood for a fortnight, now i'm just meh about it.

Even if Arteta were sacked tomorrow it wouldn't make any difference, we wont attract a top manager and the younger hungrier managers would struggle to impose themselves on the players here, the hierarchy at the club would step in to protect their diminishing 'assets' above some mere Manager.

Arteta is a tit but he, like Wenger's extended stay, is ultimately not responsible for his appointment and actually i dont fully blame Wiggy or Josh for it (to a degree) either, there are supposed to be professionals with footballing insight and understanding at the club to advise on these things for example Edu, Raul before he 'quit' so how the fuck did they think appointing a novice manager would wash. Ultimately Wiggy signed off on it, but Edu and others must have backed the call because they sure as hell didn't resign over it........

Arsenal as we knew it growing up is dead and buried, it is now purely a entertainment franchise run by some Americans, unless someone can somehow oust Wiggy we will fester mid-table for a long, long time :rubchin:

The thing is muzz, we dont need to attract a top manager - we need to attract someone with some idea on tactics and what he is doing, and someone who can organise a team. I could name a dozen managers off the top of my head that can get this team to play better than they are with this fool, and that is without bringing any new players in. Ideally what we need is a manager like the leipzig manager - a youngish manager whose star is def on the rise, but who hasnt done enough yet to be offered one of the really top jobs. Failing that I would have no probs appointing an eddie howe manager on a 2 year deal just to bring in some experience and organisation, but a guy that wouldnt be on a long term deal thus avoiding any bigger financial implications if it didnt work out. This isnt working and you can twist this any which way you like and it still wont work - the club needs to accept that, remove him next Friday (IF we get knocked out next thursday night), and at least put an end to this torture

I should also add that regardless of who our next manager is, bellend laca luiz xhaka willian auba and pepe need to be gone - some are bad eggs and some are past their best, but regardless we need to turn the page and start afresh
Augie stop thinking like a fan/supporter, to KSE you are a consumer and not entitled to think..... 'thank you for your interest' and all that.

Being serious I dont disagree with you but remember we tried the 'hungrier' Manager thing with Emery, well Head Coach anyway, the club wouldn't even do him the honour of naming him Manager. Much as I have made my feelings about Emery known i do not blame him for a lot of the things that went wrong when he was here, players taking the piss out of him, under investment, interference from above, inability to offload a lot of the dross here at the time but he was guilty of not imposing himself on the players, inability to see how bad some players were ie Xhaka and Mustafi, lack of defensive shape, the collapse in the league and humiliation in the Europa final. Now before SteveO waxes lyrical about the unbeaten run, yes we did go 22 unbeaten however many of those performances were poor or lucky, go read the match threads if you doubt me and Augie before you mention Emery was 'planning' to get rid of Xhaka etc, simply put he didnt, in fact Xhaka and Mustafi over Emerys time here played more than nearly every other player than PEA, hardly a sign of a Manager not confident in those players.

Arteta seems to be continuing along the same lines and making things worse week after week and although he IS the Manager and a very poor one at that, I'm still not convinced he is solely responsible for the state of things currently, some of it lies with the players, some of it lies with the 'negotiating team', some of it the board and in my mind a significant part of it with Edu who reminds me a lot of Gazidis. Ultimately Wiggy is responsible but he doesnt run the club day to day, he has people do that for him and they should be facing more fan ire than they do!!

The Arsenal hierarchy stinks and it is them who have put us where we are starting a downhill slide when we moved from Highbury, continuing through retaining Lord Wenger way, way past his sell by date, underinvesting every season, employing 'Directors' who were at best incompetent and at worst possibly crooked (my personal opinion and no reflection on this forum), through lack of forethought with contracts, over valuing players and then over paying for them, paying inflated wages to average players, the list goes on and on......

As the youngster say TLDR: the long and short of it is we have incompetency running through the club at all levels and have done for many years and this plays out in front of our eyes week in week out on the pitch. The problem goes much much deeper than who is the Manager and a change of that individual may, as in the case of Emery, give short term gain on the pitch but will not change the way the Club is run and the utter incompetency involved off the pitch which leads into what we see on the pitch.

Steve, myself and one or two others maintained at the time there was no point in getting rid if Wenger if nothing else changed and we were right, in fact right now I'd rather have that wanker in charge that the 'boy' currently running things......... those are words I NEVER thought I would utter :banghead:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:22 am
As the youngster say TLDR: the long and short of it is we have incompetency running through the club at all levels and have done for many years and this plays out in front of our eyes week in week out on the pitch. The problem goes much much deeper than who is the Manager and a change of that individual may, as in the case of Emery, give short term gain on the pitch but will not change the way the Club is run and the utter incompetency involved off the pitch which leads into what we see on the pitch.
There may be incompetency, but I think that is there because of the lack of ambition and complacency. Since David Dein left, Arsenal have drifted into this stupor. Happy enough to be top 4, then happy enough to win the cup, now happy enough to be a premier league team. Next season most likely there will be no European football, and there doesn’t appear to be a great desire to get back among the elite as was the case with Liverpool for most of this century.

Chelsea sack managers because their owner is ambitious and there is zero complacency. Pre-Pep, Manchester City did likewise. Even Spurs sacked a manager months after he took them to the European Cup final.

Until the owner starts demanding success and acts appropriately, Arsenal will continue to drift away from the top 4. All Kroenke seems to care about is the TV receipts, the ticket revenue and the merchandise revenue. He is not demanding Arsenal become Champions.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Duplicate.
Last edited by arrgee on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm
He's said many times himself that he wanted to stay at Chelsea but they would only offer him one year.
Yeah its a bloody shame the fella has to play at Arsenal on £200K a week....feel sorry for the poor little fucker

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 am
We'll scrape through something like 2-1 on the night or 2-2. We won't get thrashed until the semi final or of course, the final.
I too have this feeling we'll scrape through to the semi final before getting a hiding or maybe even the final before we get a hiding but I reckon this campaign ends for us with a proper good old ass raping...

Well at least that’s something to look forward to then :shock:

Yep. That and two more years of Willian and probably one more from Luiz. :roll:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm
He's said many times himself that he wanted to stay at Chelsea but they would only offer him one year.
Yeah its a bloody shame the fella has to play at Arsenal on £200K a week....feel sorry for the poor little fucker
Don't forget he came on a free transfer so some of those wages are in lieu of a transfer fee.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:22 am
augie wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:53 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 pm
Like others i'm getting numb to it all, it hurts less and less each week.... i think most of us were expecting to concede after we scored and we weren't disappointed.

Even 3 years ago i'd have been fuming after the performance and result tonight, the performance against the Victims would have had me in a shit mood for a fortnight, now i'm just meh about it.

Even if Arteta were sacked tomorrow it wouldn't make any difference, we wont attract a top manager and the younger hungrier managers would struggle to impose themselves on the players here, the hierarchy at the club would step in to protect their diminishing 'assets' above some mere Manager.

Arteta is a tit but he, like Wenger's extended stay, is ultimately not responsible for his appointment and actually i dont fully blame Wiggy or Josh for it (to a degree) either, there are supposed to be professionals with footballing insight and understanding at the club to advise on these things for example Edu, Raul before he 'quit' so how the fuck did they think appointing a novice manager would wash. Ultimately Wiggy signed off on it, but Edu and others must have backed the call because they sure as hell didn't resign over it........

Arsenal as we knew it growing up is dead and buried, it is now purely a entertainment franchise run by some Americans, unless someone can somehow oust Wiggy we will fester mid-table for a long, long time :rubchin:

The thing is muzz, we dont need to attract a top manager - we need to attract someone with some idea on tactics and what he is doing, and someone who can organise a team. I could name a dozen managers off the top of my head that can get this team to play better than they are with this fool, and that is without bringing any new players in. Ideally what we need is a manager like the leipzig manager - a youngish manager whose star is def on the rise, but who hasnt done enough yet to be offered one of the really top jobs. Failing that I would have no probs appointing an eddie howe manager on a 2 year deal just to bring in some experience and organisation, but a guy that wouldnt be on a long term deal thus avoiding any bigger financial implications if it didnt work out. This isnt working and you can twist this any which way you like and it still wont work - the club needs to accept that, remove him next Friday (IF we get knocked out next thursday night), and at least put an end to this torture

I should also add that regardless of who our next manager is, bellend laca luiz xhaka willian auba and pepe need to be gone - some are bad eggs and some are past their best, but regardless we need to turn the page and start afresh
Augie stop thinking like a fan/supporter, to KSE you are a consumer and not entitled to think..... 'thank you for your interest' and all that.

Being serious I dont disagree with you but remember we tried the 'hungrier' Manager thing with Emery, well Head Coach anyway, the club wouldn't even do him the honour of naming him Manager. Much as I have made my feelings about Emery known i do not blame him for a lot of the things that went wrong when he was here, players taking the piss out of him, under investment, interference from above, inability to offload a lot of the dross here at the time but he was guilty of not imposing himself on the players, inability to see how bad some players were ie Xhaka and Mustafi, lack of defensive shape, the collapse in the league and humiliation in the Europa final. Now before SteveO waxes lyrical about the unbeaten run, yes we did go 22 unbeaten however many of those performances were poor or lucky, go read the match threads if you doubt me and Augie before you mention Emery was 'planning' to get rid of Xhaka etc, simply put he didnt, in fact Xhaka and Mustafi over Emerys time here played more than nearly every other player than PEA, hardly a sign of a Manager not confident in those players.

Arteta seems to be continuing along the same lines and making things worse week after week and although he IS the Manager and a very poor one at that, I'm still not convinced he is solely responsible for the state of things currently, some of it lies with the players, some of it lies with the 'negotiating team', some of it the board and in my mind a significant part of it with Edu who reminds me a lot of Gazidis. Ultimately Wiggy is responsible but he doesnt run the club day to day, he has people do that for him and they should be facing more fan ire than they do!!

The Arsenal hierarchy stinks and it is them who have put us where we are starting a downhill slide when we moved from Highbury, continuing through retaining Lord Wenger way, way past his sell by date, underinvesting every season, employing 'Directors' who were at best incompetent and at worst possibly crooked (my personal opinion and no reflection on this forum), through lack of forethought with contracts, over valuing players and then over paying for them, paying inflated wages to average players, the list goes on and on......

Steve, myself and one or two others maintained at the time there was no point in getting rid if Wenger if nothing else changed and we were right, in fact right now I'd rather have that wanker in charge that the 'boy' currently running things......... those are words I NEVER thought I would utter :banghead:

Good post Muzz and I agree with all of it, except the last sentence....I wouldn't have that fucker back if he were the last manager on earth. He's more responsible than anyone for the mess we've ended up in on the pitch. I fully agree that Kroenke became and obviously remains the single biggest issue, but Wenger started us on this calamitous road before Kroenke was even heard of.

You're analysis of the state of the club is spot on, it's rotten from top to bottom. As long as Stan is the owner (or his dopey son), then nothing will change. Actually it will...it will get worse.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Fair enough Retro but the thing about Wenger was really just a rant however I will say even at his worst he'd still get more out of these cnuts currently than the boy will. Arteta may eventually become a decent Manager but not until he has learnt the ropes at a lower level and developed his own identity which he should never have been allowed to at attempt a club trying, sorry intimating it is trying, to get back into the top tier :rubchin:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am
Fair enough Retro but the thing about Wenger was really just a rant however I will say even at his worst he'd still get more out of these cnuts currently than the boy will. Arteta may eventually become a decent Manager but not until he has learnt the ropes at a lower level and developed his own identity which he should never have been allowed to at attempt a club trying, sorry intimating it is trying, to get back into the top tier :rubchin:

Yep, agree with all that Muzz. A complete travesty to appoint a novice to the job.