Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

BobbyPires7

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by BobbyPires7 »

From what I’ve been told he’s gone in the Summer if we don’t win the Europe league.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

I'm leaning towards the Europa League being the big factor. Whilst we're still in it he's going nowhere. Lose to Unai's yellow and blue army and we may just see a change.

augie

Post by augie »

Cannot see a way he gets sacked before next season - even if he bombs out of europe and our league run in has more of the good the bad and the downright ugly, I still cant see him gone purely because there are no fans so no backlash

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I think being outplayed by Emery's Villarreal and crashing out of Europe and finishing 8th-10th will be enough to have him pushed.

If he is in charge next season then we are actually fucked.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:36 pm
I think being outplayed by Emery's Villarreal and crashing out of Europe and finishing 8th-10th will be enough to have him pushed.

Don't be under the false illusion that Villarreal are better than us. Drawn more games than won. Wonder where we saw that last time??
Given the way Emery sets up his team, we should win both legs playing counter attacking football.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:03 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Don't be under the false illusion that Villarreal are better than us. Drawn more games than won. Wonder where we saw that last time??
Given the way Emery sets up his team, we should win both legs playing counter attacking football.
And so that should be the case! Villareal are a provincial Spanish club with a poxy little ground and fanbase and a wage bill and resources that are a third of ours. There's no honour in beating these - it should be expected. Arsenal and Manchester United have the resources to dwarf everyone else in the competition - the minimum that both clubs should expect is a place in the final.

augie

Post by augie »

I suspect that if Arsenal fans get to attend a game before this season is over, they will be too busy protesting this new super league, that this gormless fool will get a free pass :banghead: :banghead:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

If it's true that Arteta's future depends entirely on winning the Europa Cup, then it's that age-old dilemma: could you ever wish that Arsenal lost a game of football, for the wider good of the club?

Before any of you explode with rage at the very suggestion, think back to 2014, 2015 and 2017. It's widely accepted that some or all of those FA Cup wins (the first of them very, very flukey) saved Wenger's bacon. Had we not won those cups, he would not have been offered contract extensions, or there would have been behind the scenes discussions allowing him to save face by announcing that he had taken the club as far as he could. We would not have fallen so far behind the pack (we would still have been in the Champions' League, for a start) and there is a chance we might have attracted someone like Klopp when he became free. In other words, we would have been rebuilding from a far less painful place than we are now.

So this is where I am at - again, only because I am prepared to believe reports that Arteta will stand or fall by the Europa League. I don't want us to lose any game of football (especially if we face United in the final), but I will certainly be very quick to see the silver linings if we do go out in the semis or final and El Beige falls on his sword soon after. Conversely, I will celebrate for a couple of days if we win it, but the celebrations will be short-lived and muted.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am
If it's true that Arteta's future depends entirely on winning the Europa Cup, then it's that age-old dilemma: could you ever wish that Arsenal lost a game of football, for the wider good of the club?

Before any of you explode with rage at the very suggestion, think back to 2014, 2015 and 2017. It's widely accepted that some or all of those FA Cup wins (the first of them very, very flukey) saved Wenger's bacon. Had we not won those cups, he would not have been offered contract extensions, or there would have been behind the scenes discussions allowing him to save face by announcing that he had taken the club as far as he could. We would not have fallen so far behind the pack (we would still have been in the Champions' League, for a start) and there is a chance we might have attracted someone like Klopp when he became free. In other words, we would have been rebuilding from a far less painful place than we are now.

So this is where I am at - again, only because I am prepared to believe reports that Arteta will stand or fall by the Europa League. I don't want us to lose any game of football (especially if we face United in the final), but I will certainly be very quick to see the silver linings if we do go out in the semis or final and El Beige falls on his sword soon after. Conversely, I will celebrate for a couple of days if we win it, but the celebrations will be short-lived and muted.
Widely accepted by who, Bob? Not by me. If Wiggy's other sports "franchises" (fuck how I hate that word!) have taught us anything it's that Wiggy is a fan of the inexpensive mediocrity model of management: keep the TV and sponsorship money rolling in and don't ask me for 500 million to build a winning team. The results and Cup wins had no impact either way on Wiggy retaining Wenger. It was the half empty stadium that finally convinced Wiggy to push Wenger. I think that is what might be "widely accepted".

Similarly, unlike the nordy attention whore sid, :wink: I too cannot wish Arsenal to lose any game, but agree that if the rumours about the EL deciding Martinez-Lite's future are true then a loss would have a silver lining to it. But tbh I do not believe that rumour is true. Once I read "I know someone who knows someone at the club" all I can hear is "bullshit". :wink:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Scum have sacked Mourinho. They don't fuck about with projects!

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am
Look at Chelsea too: no "give Frank until May before we judge him".
Just as they did in 2012, they acted decisively mid-season.
They were lucky then, and they've been lucky with the draw this season but....
fortune favours the brave

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am
Look at Chelsea too: no "give Frank until May before we judge him".
Just as they did in 2012, they acted decisively mid-season.
They were lucky then, and they've been lucky with the draw this season but....
fortune favours the brave
It's a definite weakness in our owner and board. They finally sacked Wenger 10 years after they should have and now it looks like Project Martinez-Lite might drag on indefinitely.... :|

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am

Widely accepted by who, Bob? Not by me. If Wiggy's other sports "franchises" (fuck how I hate that word!) have taught us anything it's that Wiggy is a fan of the inexpensive mediocrity model of management: keep the TV and sponsorship money rolling in and don't ask me for 500 million to build a winning team. The results and Cup wins had no impact either way on Wiggy retaining Wenger. It was the half empty stadium that finally convinced Wiggy to push Wenger. I think that is what might be "widely accepted".

Similarly, unlike the nordy attention whore sid, :wink: I too cannot wish Arsenal to lose any game, but agree that if the rumours about the EL deciding Martinez-Lite's future are true then a loss would have a silver lining to it. But tbh I do not believe that rumour is true. Once I read "I know someone who knows someone at the club" all I can hear is "bullshit". :wink:
Exactly right - the financial prize for winning the FA Cup when Wenger was there was about £2m, and it was something like £1.6m per placing in the PL (maybe higher now), so winning those cups had no relevance to Kroenke. When Wenger won those cups we were a CL team and mostly getting 50,000 + gates......as you say, once we dropped out of that and the JCLs stopped showing up, that's what prompted him to fire Wenger. The banners, the fan fights, the walking out with 30 minutes left, the booing etc.....not good for the corporate image

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

If Arteta's future is entirely dependent on winning the Europa League to gain qualification to the Champions League, if the ESL is going ahead as expected, what is the club waiting for?

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Captain Black has until the end of the year regardless of what happens in the rest of this season. Worst case scenario which would be losing to Villarreal and being in the bottom half of the table won’t matter. However super league excepted if arsenal are mid-table and out of Europe next December he is gone.