European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: European Super League announced

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:45 pm
goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:58 am
Funny as fuck, bbc1report on the super lge this morning, they mentioned the "top 6" whilst showing a montage of the teams holding aloft various trophies, they didn't have clip for sperz :lol:
Probably because British Pathe hold the copyright.
:lol: :barscarf:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

NickF wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:56 pm
I do wonder, if it came down to it, would the premier league really expel the six clubs which basically includes all the winners (except the scum) since it started. This would massively devalue its worth.

Unfortunately the new league would have a massive following around the world as a lot of people simply wouldn't care about what it does for the individual countries leagues.
Can you imagine a “super Sunday” of Burnley v Watford ?

Their product would be literally a man and his dog for viewing figures, that’s why all at sky are so aghast

corkbarry1

Post by corkbarry1 »

I saw this on another forum.

Chelsea the first to back down.
Roman Abramovic, the moral shepherd of the beautiful game.,

This is classic FSG. Float a shite and unpopular decision. Get completely bitch slapped back down. Damage even further the relationship with the fan base and actually achieve nothing only ill will.

It’s like a father telling his kids -
“Your mams got old and fat so I’m going to bang a bit of strange.”

“Da, that’s a fu*king disgrace, do that and we’ll disown you”

“Fu*k it, I won’t bother so. Barbecue Saturday?. How’d ye mean fuck off, sure I’m staying with her now”

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Man City are out as well as Barcelona and Atletico

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

There is a growing possibility that Jose Mourinho may be the only European Super League manager ever to be sacked. The Special One.

:lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We will be the last ones left in it by 9pm

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 pm
Champions! :barscarf:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:18 pm
The captains of each club are meeting tomorrow, wonder will they have the bollocks to issue a statement after it?
Aubamayang isn’t going to turn up for that, is he? Probably have Xhaka deputise for him :banghead:
Hope they have a big table, cos “we have 11 captains” don’t we ? :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Not a single Arsenal player came out against this, always remember that.

Fucking cowards Greedy c.unts the lot of em.

augie

Post by augie »

City gone too :barscarf:

One concern I have is that chelski's statement said that they will pull out "as soon as possible" - if those clubs have signed a 23 year contract (as rumoured), then does this as soon as possible give them wiggle room to stay in it for a few years ?

augie

Post by augie »

Tuchel knows nothing about the chavs pulling out :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

StuartL

Re: European Super League

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:53 pm
arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 pm
no chance it happening - there are just far too many obstacles - the players dont want it, the managers dont want it, the fans dont want it.
the government could decide to not give work permits to any overseas player, they can decide not to police matches so they couldnt go ahead.
any fans that decide to attend matches here would be subject to massive harassment, in Liverpool you would probably have full scale city riots if the Merseyside derby didnt take place any more.

if the owners decide it cant take place here then they will move the clubs abroad - good then that will leave the stadiums free for Phoenix clubs to take over here in their place and we can get back to normal.#
The circus can be left to the Chinese to watch it. Better still move the whole bloody thing to China and get their players to take part in it :D
UEFA don’t want it as it will mean their 20% cut will be worth far less. I would dispute that players, managers and fans don’t want it. I think there has been a knee jerk reaction and a lot of grandstanding. Ultimately UEFA have failed to create an elite competition in the last 30 years and the big clubs have had enough. The likes of Kroenke doesn’t see any good reason why Arsenal should be excluded from the main competition in Europe because there are at least half a dozen top clubs in England whilst the Danish champions qualify and get soundly beaten in the group stages.

I am all for reforming European football. It has turned into a predictable bore fest. UEFA are incapable of making the necessary changes and whilst this super league proposal is not perfect, it appears better than what is currently in place.
how is a closed shop league better than what is in place ???
it will destroy football in this country.

anyway the whole thing is dead in the water so won't happen.
A competition where teams at a similar level has to be better in principle than a competition where the competitors are determined by geography. I stated earlier I don’t think the closed shop aspect is acceptable, but in principle I am all for the top 20 clubs in Europe to play each other in a competition. The top 20 should not be set in stone and there must be opportunities for others to challenge and take the places of those who are not performing.
Give it a few years and super league 2 with the likes of Ajax, PSV, Benfica, Porto, Rangers, Celtic, etc, etc will be desperate to join and a promotion and relegation of 2 clubs will ensure “competition” returns

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Arsenal have left :barscarf:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:24 pm
Champions! :barscarf:
We’d still finish runners up!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Auba posted some bizarre shit on Twitter and deleted his account. Wall to wall drama :lol: