El Reenghole v El Beige Europa Semi 1st Leg Thurs 29th April KO 8 in the ebeneeng

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Re: El Reenghole v El Beige Europa Semi 1st Leg Thurs 29th April KO 8 in the ebeneeng

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Might be a blessing to actually go out now, because I couldn't take a bumming by United in the final. I just couldn't.

SteveO 35

Re: El Reenghole v El Beige Europa Semi 1st Leg Thurs 29th April KO 8 in the ebeneeng

Post by SteveO 35 »

Whilst I could never bring myself to cheer against my own team, the board, owner and manager deserve nothing but an absolute humbling at the hands of the man they fired 16 months ago and replaced with a schoolboy novice. The continual decline and mismanagement of this club is shocking and the ultimate shame would be to be shown up by a man deemed not good enough to be our manager.

However, I can't see it happening. I think we are going to get through this tie and dig out another lifesaver performance as we did against Benfica and Slavia. They're 7th in their league and pretty inconsistent since Christmas, and whilst we are absolute dog shit I think we're on course for the final.

By the way, apart from the year when Atletico dropped in to this competition and knocked us out of the semi final, the absolute expectation should be to reach the final. If you look at the teams we've played in this thing in the past three seasons:

Sporting Lisbon, Vorskla Poltava, Qarabag, BATE Borisov, Rennes, Napoli, Valencia, Eintracht Frankfurt, Standard Liege, Vitoria, Olympiacos, Molde, Rapid Vienna, Dundalk, Olympiacos again of course, Slavia Prague.

With the possible exception of Napoli, that is an unimpressive list to say the list. A couple of famous names like Valencia, Eintracht and Sporting Lisbon but look at where those clubs are these days. Valencia are a bottom half team in Spain and virtually bankrupt, Eintracht have won a single German Cup in 30 years, and Sporting might win their first title in 20 years this year. Failing that it has been a competition that has seen us pitted against absolute dross

Fuck me Dundalk haven't even won a game in the Irish league this season and Molde are 7th in fucking Norway!

With our resources anything less than the final is outright failure.

augie

Post by augie »

Decisions Decisions - the NFL Draft is on Thursday night (I love the draft), and the preview starts at 8pm, so do I watch that or watch this shite ? :rubchin: Like Steve O I believe we will turn in a performance in this one and progress to the final, but like Sid I absolutely see that as being a negative if it keeps pep's cone boy in a job.

Tbh whichever I watch I will miss the first hour or so cos my young lad has training and I will be at that - maybe my decision will be based on how this game is going when I get home

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 am
Whilst I could never bring myself to cheer against my own team, the board, owner and manager deserve nothing but an absolute humbling at the hands of the man they fired 16 months ago and replaced with a schoolboy novice. The continual decline and mismanagement of this club is shocking and the ultimate shame would be to be shown up by a man deemed not good enough to be our manager.
Mate he wasn't good enough to be our manager!

The fact that Arteta is no better and probably even worse doesn't mean Emery shouldn't have been sacked.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

The fact that Arteta is no better and probably even worse doesn't mean Emery shouldn't have been sacked.
100% bang on the money. Every word. 8)

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

No way will we progress. Where are the goals coming from? Nketiah? :lol:

markyp

Post by markyp »

SteveO 35 wrote:

However, I can't see it happening. I think we are going to get through this tie and dig out another lifesaver performance as we did against Benfica and Slavia. They're 7th in their league and pretty inconsistent since Christmas, and whilst we are absolute dog shit I think we're on course for the final.

By the way, apart from the year when Atletico dropped in to this competition and knocked us out of the semi final, the absolute expectation should be to reach the final. If you look at the teams we've played in this thing in the past three seasons:

Sporting Lisbon, Vorskla Poltava, Qarabag, BATE Borisov, Rennes, Napoli, Valencia, Eintracht Frankfurt, Standard Liege, Vitoria, Olympiacos, Molde, Rapid Vienna, Dundalk, Olympiacos again of course, Slavia Prague.

With the possible exception of Napoli, that is an unimpressive list to say the list. A couple of famous names like Valencia, Eintracht and Sporting Lisbon but look at where those clubs are these days. Valencia are a bottom half team in Spain and virtually bankrupt, Eintracht have won a single German Cup in 30 years, and Sporting might win their first title in 20 years this year. Failing that it has been a competition that has seen us pitted against absolute dross

Fuck me Dundalk haven't even won a game in the Irish league this season and Molde are 7th in fucking Norway!

With our resources anything less than the final is outright failure.
Spot on Steveo

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

That's a matter of opinion of course, and certainly not mine. Whilst he was never my choice, whoever took on the car crash left by Wenger had a minimum 2 year job on their hands. When I argue that finishing 5th and missing out on the CL by 1 point was a decent achievement people claim that's not what he got sacked for but instead point to the humbling in the EL final and the supposed disasterous start to the following season. Well, I never realised we were such perennial winners in Europe - 1 trophy in 27 years and two finals in the whole of Wenger's 22 year reign.

Then the 'disasterous' league form. Never lower than 8th and the only defeats in that season were against a Leicester side who were top at the time and beating virtually everyone, a 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United who had beaten a number of top sides on their own patch and were top six most of the season, and the 3-1 at Liverpool who went the whole season unbeaten at home (well almost 4 years) and got to c. 100 points. The Sheffield United game was the only one we didn't score in.

People now also pointing to the terrible VAR decisions, well i ask them to look at the 2-2 draw with Palace in the 'disasterous' run of games and please tell me any game before or since then when VAR has fucked as over so much.

If we are saying he wasn't good enough to be manager of Arsenal in the modern day then we're going to have a long wait finding someone who is, because the Allegri, Conte, Simeone managers are now way out of reach. We could have stuck with someone who had won 3 Europa Leagues and got Valencia and Sevilla into the CL with zero resources, and backed him for the 2 years most of us wanted to see as a minimum. It would have involved a bit of patience and upsetting some of the sorry c.unts like Xhaka. Instead, we panicked and went for someone with no track record. If we'd fired Emery and appointed any of those three or Rafa Benitez etc, I could let it go......but I ask what this board expect from a manager that inherited that shite and was given £40m to get their way out of it. I can't think of any manager that would have got us into the CL in the first season in those circumstances, and more than likely not the second either. Fucking Pep came 3rd in his first season and spent £200m on full backs buying the title !

I don't think we'll see a top four finish in a long, long time. One thing's for sure - we're further now than at any point in 25 years

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:53 am
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

That's a matter of opinion of course, and certainly not mine. Whilst he was never my choice, whoever took on the car crash left by Wenger had a minimum 2 year job on their hands. When I argue that finishing 5th and missing out on the CL by 1 point was a decent achievement people claim that's not what he got sacked for but instead point to the humbling in the EL final and the supposed disasterous start to the following season. Well, I never realised we were such perennial winners in Europe - 1 trophy in 27 years and two finals in the whole of Wenger's 22 year reign.

Then the 'disasterous' league form. Never lower than 8th and the only defeats in that season were against a Leicester side who were top at the time and beating virtually everyone, a 1-0 defeat at Sheffield United who had beaten a number of top sides on their own patch and were top six most of the season, and the 3-1 at Liverpool who went the whole season unbeaten at home (well almost 4 years) and got to c. 100 points. The Sheffield United game was the only one we didn't score in.

People now also pointing to the terrible VAR decisions, well i ask them to look at the 2-2 draw with Palace in the 'disasterous' run of games and please tell me any game before or since then when VAR has fucked as over so much.

If we are saying he wasn't good enough to be manager of Arsenal in the modern day then we're going to have a long wait finding someone who is, because the Allegri, Conte, Simeone managers are now way out of reach. We could have stuck with someone who had won 3 Europa Leagues and got Valencia and Sevilla into the CL with zero resources, and backed him for the 2 years most of us wanted to see as a minimum. It would have involved a bit of patience and upsetting some of the sorry c.unts like Xhaka. Instead, we panicked and went for someone with no track record. If we'd fired Emery and appointed any of those three or Rafa Benitez etc, I could let it go......but I ask what this board expect from a manager that inherited that shite and was given £40m to get their way out of it. I can't think of any manager that would have got us into the CL in the first season in those circumstances, and more than likely not the second either. Fucking Pep came 3rd in his first season and spent £200m on full backs buying the title !

I don't think we'll see a top four finish in a long, long time. One thing's for sure - we're further now than at any point in 25 years
Can't be arsed to read all that mate, sorry but I'm confident I know what is said. :lol:

Ultimately Emery was sacked because he'd lost the players imo. They weren't performing for him for whatever reason (which I don't know cos I'm only a fan).

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

OK I had to bite and read it. :lol:

Just a few points......

Losing 3-1 at Liverpool who went the whole season unbeaten at home

Conveniently ignoring the totally baffling tactics used in that game.

I haven't seen anyone using the VAR incidents in mitigation for Arteta in any way. They are being discussed as an individual topic and only for the scandalous decisions they are.

I ask what this board expect from a manager that inherited that shite and was given £40m to get their way out of it.

Selective again mate. Who was in the hotseat for the Nicolas Pepe and William Saliba signings? That's £100m there.

I don't think we'll see a top four finish in a long, long time.

As we didn't under Emery despite a piss easy run in.

And we haven't even mentioned the defensive debacle that regularly allowed opponents 20+ attempts on our goal.

This is in no way me defending Arteta. I've said on here many times that I didn't want him the first time around and nothing had changed for the second time.

The simple truth is that neither are of the calibre that we should have as Manager and imo the calibre that we could have. There really aren't that many managers in world football that would turn down The Arsenal.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Just a few points......

I haven't seen anyone using the VAR incidents in mitigation for Arteta in any way. They are being discussed as an individual topic and only for the scandalous decisions they are.

I ask what this board expect from a manager that inherited that shite and was given £40m to get their way out of it.

Selective again mate. Who was in the hotseat for the Nicolas Pepe and William Saliba signings? That's £100m there.

And we haven't even mentioned the defensive debacle that regularly allowed opponents 20+ attempts on our goal.

This is in no way me defending Arteta. I've said on here many times that I didn't want him the first time around and nothing had changed for the second time.

The simple truth is that neither are of the calibre that we should have as Manager and imo the calibre that we could have. There really aren't that many managers in world football that would turn down The Arsenal.
Again agreed 100%, Clummo.

SteveO - I cannot believe you are still running the Emery argument and still being so subjective and selective with that argument. Jesus, mate. :|

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:15 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

Just a few points......

Again agreed 100%, Clummo.

SteveO - I cannot believe you are still running the Emery argument and still being so subjective and selective with that argument. Jesus, mate. :|
I reckon he's flirting with Augie :wink:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Swiss fannybulges wife has given birth to their 2nd daughter..Lets hope he takes some paternity leave :rubchin: 6months should about do it :D

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:

Just a few points......

Hold on there buddy, cos no way are you anywhere near right on that highlighted (in blue) part

Everyone in the country knows that emery wanted zaha not pepe, and it was edu/the board that over-ruled him. Secondly, you are labelling saliba a waste of money ?? Without even getting a chance ???? Yes dick bought him, but you are writing him off based on nothing other than the judgement of a man who doesnt know his head from his arse, and seeing as you have as little faith in pep's cone boy as I have, I am surprised that you are willing to write saliba off as a waste of money

The rest of your points I mostly dont agree with, but they are subjective and it depends on what side of the fence we choose to sit on

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:29 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

Just a few points......

Hold on there buddy, cos no way are you anywhere near right on that highlighted (in blue) part

Everyone in the country knows that emery wanted zaha not pepe, and it was edu/the board that over-ruled him. Secondly, you are labelling saliba a waste of money ?? Without even getting a chance ???? Yes dick bought him, but you are writing him off based on nothing other than the judgement of a man who doesnt know his head from his arse, and seeing as you have as little faith in pep's cone boy as I have, I am surprised that you are willing to write saliba off as a waste of money

The rest of your points I mostly dont agree with, but they are subjective and it depends on what side of the fence we choose to sit on
Far too many assumptions there mate and you're putting words in my mouth that I never said or even intimated.

I never said or even suggested Saliba is a waste of money. I countered Steve's point that Emery only had £40m. Whomever actually spent that money was not the issue either.

All of the other points you can't actually disagree with because they aren't an opinion, they are fact.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.