Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm
Wow! That Snake skin one looks complicated - :rubchin: Did you use wire fencing to get the effect?

That last one looks awesome... bet it was amazing when the neck, pickups, etc were all added? Have you got any piccies of them when they were finished & built ?
The snakeskin was actually women's fishnet stocking I borrowed from roddaz's private collection! But seriously it was complicated because you have to remove them at the right time or they get stuck in the paint. Too early and you smudge the paint. Alot of experimenting went into that one!

Have no photos of them rebuilt as I only paint the body that the person who commissions me has already dismantled. They send or drop off the bare body and I strip it to the wood, sand it, fill it, prime it, paint it, give it 4 coats of lacquer, wet\dry sand and then return it to them or them to rebuild and/or wax, polish and buff.

I do it that way now as I got stung early on. I used to dismantle the guitar, paint it and rebuild it. Did a great job for a guy and when I rebuilt it and gave it back he refused to pay. Said I fucked up his intonation and action. I hadn't. He was just a cùnt. Anyway he said if I went after the money he'd bad mouth me with other guitarists so I had to bite that one as I was trying to get more commissions.

I love painting them but I'll never make a living at it. I charge about €500 to £750 per job but they can take between 20 and 50 hours to complete so as you can see its not a money spinner! The Angel of Death is hand drawn and painted - took 50 hours all told. It's a hobby that pays a couple bills every now and then. :D

Oh. I will not touch classics. If you bring me a 1958 Fender Strat or a 1974 Les Paul Gold Top or a Rickenbacker 300 series to paint, I will not touch it. The classics should be left alone! 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:53 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm
Wow! That Snake skin one looks complicated - :rubchin: Did you use wire fencing to get the effect?

That last one looks awesome... bet it was amazing when the neck, pickups, etc were all added? Have you got any piccies of them when they were finished & built ?
The snakeskin was actually women's fishnet stocking I borrowed from roddaz's private collection!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good One!

But seriously it was complicated because you have to remove them at the right time or they get stuck in the paint. Too early and you smudge the paint. Alot of experimenting went into that one!

Have no photos of them rebuilt as I only paint the body that the person who commissions me has already dismantled. They send or drop off the bare body and I strip it to the wood, sand it, fill it, prime it, paint it, give it 4 coats of lacquer, wet\dry sand and then return it to them or them to rebuild and/or wax, polish and buff.

I do it that way now as I got stung early on. I used to dismantle the guitar, paint it and rebuild it. Did a great job for a guy and when I rebuilt it and gave it back he refused to pay. Said I fucked up his intonation and action. I hadn't. He was just a cùnt. Anyway he said if I went after the money he'd bad mouth me with other guitarists so I had to bite that one as I was trying to get more commissions.

I love painting them but I'll never make a living at it. I charge about €500 to £750 per job but they can take between 20 and 50 hours to complete so as you can see its not a money spinner! The Angel of Death is hand drawn and painted - took 50 hours all told. It's a hobby that pays a couple bills every now and then. :D

Oh. I will not touch classics. If you bring me a 1958 Fender Strat or a 1974 Les Paul Gold Top or a Rickenbacker 300 series to paint, I will not touch it. The classics should be left alone! 8)
What a C.U.N.T - Had something similar happen when this band asked me to play bass for 6 gigs they had coming up and their bass player had broken his wrist - wannking off or some such even - actually come to think of it I think he mentioned some guy called Rodders funnily enough :? :rubchin: :D

I had recently sold my Bass and bought my first acoustic.... so the band ask him ( he was a big smelly biker) if I can borrow his Fender Precision Bass - sure enough he does and I take care if it like is was my first born - You know someone else's guitar etc....

I do the 6 gigs over 3 weekends and I actually polish it etc after Avery gig, when I take it back cleaner and in a better condition than he gave it to me; to say thanks I'd even put new RotOSound strings on it...Next thing I know he's saying I'd scratched it and all sorts - Which I genuinely hadn't - The Big Scratch was already on the back - probably caused by his belt buckle or whatever..and saying I owed him £300 to get revarnished etc

So someone tells my Big Brother that someone is telling lies about me etc and so my Big Bro (may he rest in Peace) being rather protective of me apparently went round to his gaff with one of his 'employees' a Hod Carrier called Bam Bam (I kid you not) and the next thing I know there's a knock at my flat door and this C.U.N.T called vinny Apologising and Grovelling with one very nasty looking Black eye, damaged nose and split lip... a refund for the new strings and a bottle of tequila...

8)

Funny business Rock N Roll innit! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Quality OneBard. 8)

My best rock n roll story is a bit Spinal Tap unfortunately! :oops: :lol:

A metal band I played in got a gig in this pub in a shitty little town out in north County Dublin. When we turned up and set up and sound checked we went to see the owner to work out payment and he told us he couldn't pay us. We asked could we charge on the door just to cover petrol for getting out there and he said no the locals would stay away. He said "I'll shout you a few drinks after your set". We said fuck it why not, we've come this far. Use it as a rehearsal with free booze.

The locals rolled in and it was old farmers, young inbreeds, a few knackers, and a group of old slags in their 40's, a few of which were borderline fuckable. :shock:

We dropped all the Metallica, Maiden and Dio songs from our set and played our back up lighter rock set - some Bon Jovi, Journey and AC/DC stuff.

A few of the old dears were shaking their tits at us down the front and as we were all about 20 years old we could see we were deffo getting sucked off that night! It was MILF central. :lol:

And then this fucking mong hillabillah cùnt with an actual fucking mullet hairstyle gets down the front and starts yelling at me "show the girls your fucking tan you faggot!" I was just back from Ibiza so yep I was brown as fuck. Anyway this dicktard kept yelling it. And then starts blowing kisses at me and doing that old limp wrist gesture. I was getting more pissed off by the second. We finished the set and I dropped my guitar, jumped from the little stage onto the dance floor and grabbed this fuckwit and yelled "come on motherfucker", got him by the throat and pushed him towards this little side area off stage that led to the foyer and exit doors.

Just as I got him out there our one and only roadie "Big D" came barrelling in and started punching the guy in the face. Big D was 6'2" and built like a brick shithouse. And he was only 16! Fucking massive fucker. He was the drummer's cousin.

So D and me are beating this fuckwit to a pulp when the quiet guy in the band - our bass player - suddenly appears with a screwdriver and starts waving it in the guys face screaming "I'm gonna cut your fucking head off" and the guy is blabbing "please don't stab me" and all of a sudden D and I are pissing ourselves laughing and trying to stop the bass player from stabbing this guy. The four of us are rolling around on the ground and I see its not even a full size screwdriver it's one of those mini screwdrivers for tight spots, the ones with the handle that looks a bit like a butt plug, and I'm almost choking from laughing and the bass player is getting angrier and angrier and D has one arm around the guy's neck and the other hand grabbing this tiny little screwdriver and D has tears of laughter running down his face. At this point the bass player is hysterical with rage and his head looks like a tomato it's so red. This is a guy who usually wouldn't say two words. And now he's roaring and screaming like a serial killer on speed.

Eventually we subdued our bassist and the guy runs for the door yelling he's calling the cops. The owner arrives out into this foyer area and he's yelling some shit. We decided we needed to get out of there but we can't see the singer or the drummer. We found them up at the bar chatting up these two old dears.

We packed up pronto and ran for the van. So not only did we not get paid, we never got the free booze we were promised, never got blown by the old slags, and were lucky not to either be involved in a stabbing or get arrested. We ripped the piss out of that bass player for months afterwards. His nickname became "Stabby". He eventually quit the band. But that night in the van back to Dublin we laughed so much I don't know how we didn't crash. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolute Quality DB...

It is these kind of tales/memories (or should that be Mammaries!? :wink: ) that at the the time you think Holy SHITT! - but looking back are often the best bits of being in bands... I failed to include in my story about being dissed that the band asked me to join them on a permanent basis as they said I was "'tons better than that smelly cun.t" I said I'd think about it - I'd enjoyed playing live and as you rightly say there's always the spinal tap stuff and the other milfy occasions :-P When they heard about his claims about me wrecking his bass I didn't know till some time after they sacked him (he was actually heard to say it was for 'Musical Differences' Yeah! right the cun.t wouldn't have known a chord if it was choking him...

Anyway - I did play with them (Shark Tooth) for about another 10 months till education/college called and I moved back to London..

in those 10 months I had a few what you might call Spinal Tappish moments: The lead guitarists sister had taken over management of the band....and had set up a week-end tour of all the Miners/Social Clubs (this is before that SLAG Thatcher had destroyed the Mining Industry in Wales and caused the closure of the social clubs)- Where they Drank to the point of either fighting or not being able to stand or both.... But they all took their music seriously - It HAD to ROCK. And if you / the band didn't come up to scratch they would throw chairs and pint glasses at you, so we thinking Ohhh Fuckk, especially as if you did a good gig, the news travelled fast same for if the band were shyte...

All the clubs were the same inside..in the foyer were 1 or 2 Big Banners of the Union and the Local Collery for the Marches etc. Everything was painted in dark colours brown and magnolia or black and magnolia... the tables were all in long lines from the door of the Hall/ Bar down to the stage area...where it was either a band/group/ local miners choir or the bingo machine...

There was always a small drum kit (bass drum, snake and one cymbal) and usually a small Bontempi orgelectric organ for the local old couple to play the Chicca Boom, Chicca Boom rhythm as the 'Organist' played that old style Blackpool Bingo Hall music...

Sorry about that was reminiscing :oops: :D

Anyway Verley the manager who was the hardest member of our band - with 38DD's and had a tattoo of Jimi Hendrix on her back - a bleached blonde version of Nessa on Gavin & Stacey was being chatted up by one of the barman before the gig. I can't even which club or town/village it was in when Kev the drummer rushes up to her and says "where's the bass drum??? You've forgotten the bass drum" . She takes a gulp from her pint and turning to him says 'I've forgotten fuckk all, it's your job to load your kit not fuckking mine! And so he starts saying fuckk it then I'm not playing fuckk this f you blah de fuckin blah! And disappears out the swinging doors in a huff :roll:

So now the rest of us are thinking we can't play - Ginge the guitarist runs out after Kev and we hear the barman say "My daughter's boyfriend plays drums he's good as well, he'll help out if he doesn't come back" - so an hour goes by and no Kev, Verley asks the barman to phone his daughter and he goes into the room behind tbar which runs the full length of the hall to phone his daughter - apparently her boyfriend is 'down from London' - this young guy turns up 17 yr old and a bit "Mad" - We set up the drum kit with the borrowed club bass drum - Kev has vanished...it's getting closer to 8 o'clock and he still hasn't come back - so "Phil" shows us what he's got... and he is 'Solid' and proceeds to be fuckin' awesome.

So we do the gig (Status Quo, Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, a Rory Gallagher song, even a Sabbath song with a few of our own) No glasses or chairs thrown at us - We get paid and then get p*ssed...

It turns out this 'Phil' iwas to become none other than THE Philthy Animal Phil who would later become THE Motorhead legend. :shock: :shock: :shock: I know that's my claim to fame I once played in Motorhead :mrgreen:

Apparently Kev had fuckked off home on the train... he did come back for 2 gigs (I think) then someone else joined.

In all honesty it's all a bit of a blur - But that was one of the better musical times and I remember thinking fuckk this drummer is GOOD.

Edit: I think it was Blackwood Miners & Social Club???

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Superb OneBard. Phil Taylor was an immense drummer. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It's funny/odd but just like when you play football with better or higher level players - your own game improves... that goes for musicians as well...playing that one gig with Philthy Phil taught me so much, even back then he was doing fills and all kinds of stuff, I was sticking to what I knew having learnt the songs from the vinyl LP's through endless listens...with the occasional variance, but it really made me think.

So when it came to playing (Acoustic) guitar and I was learning a song by ear - I began to experiment with the chords and so was able to improvise more and more but still keep the essence of the song recognisable.

I do that a lot now, particularly with instrumentals the last time I played 'live' was at a local Folk nite where you take your guitar or whatever it is you play and you get the chance to jam with the nights set group and that is what I enjoy most putting myself on the spot in the moment, occasionally it goes awry but then the trick is to recover and get back in the flow.

I remember going to see Martin Simpson - be about 7/8yrs? ago and he was doing a Guitar Tutorial before he played the actual gig; and he works with different tunings etc...and he was showing how playing something then without dropping a beat or slowing down, he would re-tune form a standard EADGBE to another tuning, by 'improving' on the tune and by moving to different parts of the fretboard... It was fuckking A-Mazing.

A damn nice bloke too, after the show, he was available to sign stuff etc, but also answer questions and the after the show stuff took almost 2 hours but he was genuinely happy and interested in what people were doing/playing etc really passionate about it.

This is something from You Tube from about 6 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoQGSiVsy4

ps: It's worth getting past the first 3 - 4 minutes.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

pps: If you're into Good & Gorgeous acoustic guitars prepare to wet yer knickers! :D

His picking on the bluesy number @15 mins through to 16 mins will make you want to throw yourself off a bridge - because you will have known heaven and utter bewilderment.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DOH! I t would help if I actually included the link wouldn't it! - :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoQGSiVsy4. :oops:

Block93

For Yasgur's Farm

Post by Block93 »

No guitarist's thread is complete without this tour de force by Mountain, first played back at Woodstock, 1970.

(Yasgur's Farm was actually the site of Woodstock.)

Both Felix P and Leslie W are sadly gone, but this song is a rocking ballad with few equals, trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py28H6xITFE

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I played bass in 4 piece band, also sang part of our set, made up of few Rory Gallagher, Neil Young, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Sabbath numbers.our lead guitarist went on to session in the states, back home now he does classical recitals, when not pissed :lol:
Our first gig was supporting "Toe Jam" a local top drawer band, (the late gerry anderson, norn iron broadcaster was their bassist, great player and great voice)
We all fell out after about six months and despite forming a few more bands, we never went beyond rehearsing.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:46 pm
I played bass in 4 piece band, also sang part of our set, made up of few Rory Gallagher, Neil Young, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Sabbath numbers.our lead guitarist went on to session in the states, back home now he does classical recitals, when not pissed :lol:
Our first gig was supporting "Toe Jam" a local top drawer band, (the late gerry anderson, norn iron broadcaster was their bassist, great player and great voice)
We all fell out after about six months and despite forming a few more bands, we never went beyond rehearsing.
Fell out of what Sid??? :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sorry sid, this is a guitarist's thread. No 4 string drummers please. :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 pm
goonersid wrote:
:lol: Bastard!!! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
:wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
No No NO! Sidney..

It's Uncle Dirty Bastard. :D