Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

goonersid

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:47 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 pm
When he put on Willian last night that was probably the tipping point for me into the Arteta out camp.
I won’t be fully Arteta out whilst we remain in the Europa though.
I’m quite happy to back team and manager whilst winning that is a possibility - if/when we get knocked out that is a different matter.
I've never understood this viewpoint Rob. I want to win the EL but I also want Martinez-Lite gone ASAP. The two are not mutually exclusive.
But they are "mutually exclusive"
If we win Elge, you are calling for a successful manager to be sacked!
You can't have your cake and eat it DB!
It's one or the other!
Losing to the pathetic wretch that is Unai Emery, could prove a mantle that Arteta can't shake off!
No they are not mutually exclusive. I want Arteta gone. In the meantime I want Arsenal to win trophies. I don't care who wins those trophies for us. If Arteta gets his shit together and starts winning major trophies (very unlikely) then I'd have no problem with him staying. Equally I've no problem with him being sacked and a caretaker managing us for the final - if we get that far.

I'm not so wrapped up in my Internet persona that I want the man to fail just to prove me right on a forum ffs. The most important thing is winning trophies.
Bollocks! You either want him gone or you dont!
Internet persona? Get a fucking grip!!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Who win the chavs the FA cup and champions League the same season?
Roberto Di Matteo. How long did he last as their manager the following season? Lasted until October. That's right no messing around with Roman.
If Arteta gets the Europa League, does it means he stays

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 pm
When he put on Willian last night that was probably the tipping point for me into the Arteta out camp.
I won’t be fully Arteta out whilst we remain in the Europa though.
I’m quite happy to back team and manager whilst winning that is a possibility - if/when we get knocked out that is a different matter.
I've never understood this viewpoint Rob. I want to win the EL but I also want Martinez-Lite gone ASAP. The two are not mutually exclusive.
It's one or the other!
Losing to the pathetic wretch that is Unai Emery, could prove a mantle that Arteta can't shake off!
No they are not mutually exclusive. I want Arteta gone. In the meantime I want Arsenal to win trophies. I don't care who wins those trophies for us. If Arteta gets his shit together and starts winning major trophies (very unlikely) then I'd have no problem with him staying. Equally I've no problem with him being sacked and a caretaker managing us for the final - if we get that far.

I'm not so wrapped up in my Internet persona that I want the man to fail just to prove me right on a forum ffs. The most important thing is winning trophies.
One of us certainly needs to, and it ain't me.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 am
goonersid wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

It's one or the other!

One of us certainly needs to, and it ain't me.
Too much sauce :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 pm
Roberto Di Matteo. How long did he last as their manager the following season? Lasted until October. That's right no messing around with Roman.
But wasn't DiMatteo only ever a caretaker that came in a week or something before the first cup final? That's how I remember it anyway! :wink: Either way I don't think he was ever intended to be the long term option.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:19 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 pm
But wasn't DiMatteo only ever a caretaker that came in a week or something before the first cup final? That's how I remember it anyway! :wink: Either way I don't think he was ever intended to be the long term option.
He took on the job in early March when AVB got the elbow, and was a caretaker for the rest of that season. They gave him a 2 year contract and appointed him permanently at the end of the season. By November they had punted him - a man who won the trophy that Maureen and others had failed to land for them, and have failed since. Imagine us doing that with Arteta! And we're talking here about the second prize in Europe too - a cup where anything less than reaching the final is failure.

People may knock the Chavs approach but it has brought them a lot of success (yes of course the money is a massive part of that). Also seeing the vermin fire Maureen before their cup final and first chance to win anything for 13 years

The owners knew those managers were taking those clubs backwards. Our lot are sticking with a tit who has given us our worst start for 45 years on the back of the FA Cup and a potential final in the European equivalent of the League Cup. Chelsea and Spurs would have fired his ass long ago, as would the Mickeys or the Mancs. Sad but true. if winning the FA Cup is the only yardstick and reaching the semi of the EL we might as well have stuck with Wenger!

augie

Post by augie »

I suspect the wolves manager will leave them in the summer - the old "taken them as far as he can" adage springs to mind. Again he wouldnt be my first choice if arteta was sacked, but no doubt he would be a massive upgrade on pep's cone boy

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think Arteta could well have the makings of very good football manager - in the future, but as Clummo rightly said he needs to have cut his managerial teeth somewhere else; perhaps in the League 1 or the Championship before taking on the challenge of a Prem Club, but for them to appoint him as Arsenal manager his first managerial job - with Arsenal; a HUGE club with a HUGE History was negligent in the extreme. and whilst I blame him for what is happening, I think the board and KuntaKroenke is MORE to blame.

:|

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

My last words on this thread!!
The club see Arteta as a project, one in which they are willing to accept a certain amount of disappointing results, in belief it will come good!
Winning the Elge, will only instill that belief.
It will bring undecided fans back on Arteta's side, where a 12th spot plge finish and elge exit at the hands of a twit, some still think should be in charge, can surely only have him under pressure from opening match day next season!

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:22 pm
The club see Arteta as a project, one in which they are willing to accept a certain amount of disappointing results, in belief it will come good!
It will bring undecided fans back on Arteta's side, where a 12th spot plge finish and elge exit at the hands of a twit, some still think should be in charge, can surely only have him under pressure from opening match day next season!

I wonder if the kroenke's would be more willing to throw arteta under the bus now in a bid to take focus off them and the super league fiasco :rubchin:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 pm
goonersid wrote:

I wonder if the kroenke's would be more willing to throw arteta under the bus now in a bid to take focus off them and the super league fiasco :rubchin:
There is NOTHING absolutely NOTHING that kuntaKroenke won't do to

Preserve his Profit and keep his name, face & wig out of the limelight

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 pm
goonersid wrote:

Tbh I think there is more chance of that than the results dictating they sack him. I think the Kroenkes would leave Martinez-Lite in charge indefinitely so long as he doesn't get us relegated (he won't) and doesn't ask them for 500million to rebuild (he won't). Wiggy likes to own things like football clubs, he doesn't give a fuck about the clubs winning trophies once the clubs are in the big leagues and he can point at them and say "I own that". :censored:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

goonersid wrote:
This, exactly, which is why I am so conflicted over the Europa. In fact, I'd say that a 10th place finish and a loss in the final should be enough to get rid of him.

augie

Post by augie »

Watery useless c.unt of a manager who knows that any decent and ambitious owner would throw his basque arse out of the club on the spot :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -relations

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am
Watery useless c.unt of a manager who knows that any decent and ambitious owner would throw his basque arse out of the club on the spot :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -relations
What would you expect him say? :lol: