Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Gunner Rob

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 am
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 am
posted in january that Arteta wont play Martinelli.....got shot down with replies like..."hes just back from injury"....."hes injury prone FFS"

here we are in May and despite 2 main strikers out injured he still dont play him
I was one of those people (that person) :oops:

The good ship Arteta started taking on water last night and the damage is irreparable.

Anyone still on the fence about him ran for the lifeboats and got the fuck out of dodge.

As I said on the match thread I haven’t felt as deflated as that from a managerial performance since the dark end days of Wenger.

That was complete mismanagement of epic proportions and there’s no way back for him now. He’s toast in the summer, it’s over.
win win situation for the owners.
win the Europa and we are back in the Champions League cash - Arteta wont be sacked
fail to win the Europa and Arteta can be sacked and the pressure taken off the owners

lose lose situation for supporters:
win the Europa and Arteta still here next season
lose the Europa and don't expect Kroenke to appoint anyone better to take over

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 am
posted in january that Arteta wont play Martinelli.....got shot down with replies like..."hes just back from injury"....."hes injury prone FFS"

here we are in May and despite 2 main strikers out injured he still dont play him

You didnt see me disagreeing with you - I have the most outspoken critic of el beige's treatment of our younger players, and I am amazed it has taken 6 months for others to catch up :roll: I think that it is an accepted fact that it is his treatment of martinelli that has (finally) awoken fans, but for me there continues to be other examples - I dont care how much some of you dislike guendouzi cos the fact is that he is a million times better than ceballos, xhaka and elnenny, and yet he got fcuked out for grabbing an opposition player by the throat, even though we would have loved TA6, PV4 and keown if they had done that same thing 15 years ago.

As has been said previously, that false 9 shit that he went with last night is as embarrassing as it was laughable - again some brainless fans on here supported arteta's appointment because he had worked under pep and must have learned something while there ...... last night was the crowning "what I learned from pep" masterpiece :lol: :lol: :lol:
How was the NFL Draft mate? :lol: :lol:

shu

Post by shu »

Guendouzi and Torreira have to be better than this pile of shite

augie

Post by augie »

shu wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am

And that is my point - give me two better midfielders than guendouzi and torreira and I am totally on board with that, but when you show loyalty to absolute dross like xhaka, ceballos and elneny, it is an absolute fcuking scandal :evil: :evil:
I only seen the second half last night so to some degree I am going on what was said on here, but on sooo many occasions on the match thread players were being slated for being lazy or not working hard enough etc, and though they both have other weaknesses, a lack of effort is not something you can ever throw at guendouzi and torreia

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:47 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 pm

He wasn't a popular appointment at Bayern and had a bit of a mixed bag performance whilst there. Only lasted 2 seasons didn't he?
After completing the domestic double with them. Not sure the reason why he fell out of favour. Knows how to organise a team to challenge for the league. Was Bayern's manager when they beat Spurs 7-1. As good as credentials as you need.
Also lost 5-1 at home to Frankfurt amongst other indifferent performances though.
Yes, and your point is?
Over 3 seasons won Frankfurt from 18th to 6th winning them a first trophy in 26 years. Completed a domestic clean sweep with Munich in his only full season, taking over from Guardiola. Turning Monaco round from relegation fodder to title contenders with no budget. Certainly, within the scope and budget we're gonna have next season.
My point is that I don't rate him. Just my opinion. 8)
Who would you suggest?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:06 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 pm

After completing the domestic double with them. Not sure the reason why he fell out of favour. Knows how to organise a team to challenge for the league. Was Bayern's manager when they beat Spurs 7-1. As good as credentials as you need.
Also lost 5-1 at home to Frankfurt amongst other indifferent performances though.
Yes, and your point is?
Over 3 seasons won Frankfurt from 18th to 6th winning them a first trophy in 26 years. Completed a domestic clean sweep with Munich in his only full season, taking over from Guardiola. Turning Monaco round from relegation fodder to title contenders with no budget. Certainly, within the scope and budget we're gonna have next season.
Who would you suggest?
I've stated for ages to go all out for Antonio Conte.

Built the base for Allegri's success at Juve and is about to secure another Scudetto with Inter.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Yes, and your point is?
Who would you suggest?

Built the base for Allegri's success at Juve and is about to secure another Scudetto with Inter.
I'd agree with you. Ancellotti was the person I thought should've taken over from wenger, closely followed by Conte. But, realistically will Conte leave Inter Milan this summer after winning Serie A, CL football guaranteed for a team in disarray with no European football? We have to be realistic over who will "drop" down to us. I still reckon Ancellotti would swap merseyside for London at a drop of a £20m a year hat. He looked pretty miserable when I saw him driving to training last week in his Rolls Royce Cullinan.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I said it at the start of the season and I will stand by it.

I will judge him in May.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:19 pm

I will judge him in May.
Tomorrow then :wink:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:

I will judge him in May.
So we can expect your judgement tomorrow then? :lol:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nos89 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Yes, and your point is?
Who would you suggest?

I'd agree with you. Ancellotti was the person I thought should've taken over from wenger, closely followed by Conte. But, realistically will Conte leave Inter Milan this summer after winning Serie A, CL football guaranteed for a team in disarray with no European football? We have to be realistic over who will "drop" down to us. I still reckon Ancellotti would swap merseyside for London at a drop of a £20m a year hat. He looked pretty miserable when I saw him driving to training last week in his Rolls Royce Cullinan.
Conte isn't on good terms with the Inter hierarchy (as is the case eventually everywhere he's played and managed :lol: ) and really don't underestimate the draw of managing The Arsenal. We may have a pessimistic opinion of our club right now but the recent invitation to join the Super League suggests that the rest of football still views us as a top club, which we are.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

I genuinely believe Arteta doesn't like Martinelli...
No idea why...

Last night's game was tailor made for him.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Thynker wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm
No idea why...

My guess is that Martinelli doesn’t stick rigidly to his shit system. Instead he comes on and affects games. Arteta doesn’t like it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:40 pm
Thynker wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm
No idea why...

My guess is that Martinelli doesn’t stick rigidly to his shit system. Instead he comes on and affects games. Arteta doesn’t like it.
You've probably nailed it there. Martinez-Lite is a believer in the system and the plan and a rigid process. Martinelli is a creator and a flair player.

Note how Smith-Rowe and Saka are getting more game time and arguably both are less creative and seem more stymied on the pitch than when they first broke into the team? Maybe Martinelli won't bow down to Big Brain Martinez-Lite....?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 am
shu wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am

And that is my point - give me two better midfielders than guendouzi and torreira and I am totally on board with that, but when you show loyalty to absolute dross like xhaka, ceballos and elneny, it is an absolute fcuking scandal :evil: :evil:
I only seen the second half last night so to some degree I am going on what was said on here, but on sooo many occasions on the match thread players were being slated for being lazy or not working hard enough etc, and though they both have other weaknesses, a lack of effort is not something you can ever throw at guendouzi and torreia
And the decision to punt out those 2 and recall Elneny, and re-sign Getafe on loan were entirely down to him - not Kroenke, his predecessor or anyone else. Dick and the previous management team are guilty of giving Xhaka a big full time deal which is unforgiveable, but those other 4 decisions sit squarely with him. On top of that, it was clear to all that we need a creator at the start of the season - Ozil was banished, ESR not even on his radar until injuries forced him to play him in the winter and long before Odegaard signed. The damage was done in those early months. What was his solution at the time? To blow our entire wedge on Partey, who has been nothing short of disgraceful and most of us at the time said we needed an Auoar type rather than him

Clueless - the man is utterly clueless, on every level. Transfers, team selections, player management, in game changes/subs. Clueless