Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

TeeCee

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by TeeCee »

I actually laughed out loud this morning when I saw Artetas comments yesterday
we are in a much better position today to be where we want to be very soon, if we do what we have to do
Fucking generational coach right there! He says we need to be ruthless, just a 2 year extension for Luiz then!!

Arsenal have gone full banter, laughing stock. Can’t wait to see his signings this summer, it’s going to be epic (ly) bad!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:36 am
we are in a much better position today to be where we want to be very soon, if we do what we have to do
Fucking generational coach right there! He says we need to be ruthless, just a 2 year extension for Luiz then!!

Arsenal have gone full banter, laughing stock. Can’t wait to see his signings this summer, it’s going to be epic (ly) bad!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The more I am reading the more my frustration grows.My only hope is that the lack of movement in sacking him is because Wiggy is considering selling up.If that isn't the case then there isn't one logical reason to keep this failure in post other then trying to save money on compensation which would prove to be a false economy.He has already saddled us with two over thirties on long contract just think what further damage him and Edu could do this summer.My worry is that he pisses off some of our young talent so much that they leave.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'd love to say I can't believe what I'm reading, in terms of backing him with investment in the Summer to overhaul the squad and continue with the 'project'.......but sadly I can.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Who is still on Kia Joorabchian’s books?

Because that is who we are signing this Summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sports- ... rater/4868

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:34 am
I've always felt the club is just a trough for players, managers and the owners to feed off, & the fans keep filling it.

I still cant believe people actually buy the merchandise and go to games.
They haven’t for over a year :) I haven’t bought an Arsenal shirt since they moved to the Camel bowl, and the West Ham game back in March 2020 is likely to be my last for a good while now my silver membership has been cancelled. Not that I think getting tickets will be that difficult from next season onwards. I even cancelled BT Sport this week as there will be no European football, so even less expense. All I have now is some Now TV sports passes that I will use in the next year or so.

I will go and watch hurling and rugby instead. And maybe the odd game at Orient.

Herd

Post by Herd »

TeeCee wrote:

i thought you were joking..................then i found it

Herd

Post by Herd »

I can see them saying your getting no money shuffle the pack yourself ,it makes no sense to give a man a wad of cash and then sack him

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

If you join the dots in all of this you can see how Arteta’s lack of experience is leading him to lean on players who have “experience”. He thinks he needs Luiz and Xhaka and Willian as they have decent CVs (barring Xhaka). The same goes for Ceballos and Odegaard as they are from Madrid and “must be good”. Instead of picking the team based on form he is picking them as some sort of comfort blanket. Xhaka and Luiz are clearly giving his orders on the pitch. The problem is that these are the players doing the most to let him down. It is a total fucking car crash of epic proportions.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Outside of ESR, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Partey, Gabriel every other players is far go to sell and replace. Happy for Lacazette and PEA to see out their careers with us but this squad needs wholesale changes and of a squad of around 25 we need to ideally cycle through at least 10 players in a single transfer window. Luiz, Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Willian are the names on my list that need to go, I would throw in a few others do but appreciate replacing 10 players in one transfer window could be difficult, however bare minimum 5 need to go although it should be more. Every playing leaving needs a replacement.

The idea of keeping Arteta and not making wholesale changes to the squad is de ju vu all over again. De ja vu to the days with Wenger in charge insisting we dont need to spend. 'Diaby is coming back from injury and that is like a new singing'.

Theres also the hurdle of whether this club can execute properly what's needed to be done. Sure we need new players, but even if we bring about wholesale changes, there is a possibility the new players are shitter than the ones they replace.

I simply have no faith in this club. My expectation for the next three years is to hover between 6th-12th without ever threatening to push the top 4.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
Outside of ESR, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Partey, Gabriel every other players is far go to sell and replace. Happy for Lacazette and PEA to see out their careers with us but this squad needs wholesale changes and of a squad of around 25 we need to ideally cycle through at least 10 players in a single transfer window. Luiz, Xhaka, Ceballos, Elneny, Willian are the names on my list that need to go, I would throw in a few others do but appreciate replacing 10 players in one transfer window could be difficult, however bare minimum 5 need to go although it should be more. Every playing leaving needs a replacement.

The idea of keeping Arteta and not making wholesale changes to the squad is de ju vu all over again. De ja vu to the days with Wenger in charge insisting we dont need to spend. 'Diaby is coming back from injury and that is like a new singing'.

Theres also the hurdle of whether this club can execute properly what's needed to be done. Sure we need new players, but even if we bring about wholesale changes, there is a possibility the new players are shitter than the ones they replace.

I simply have no faith in this club. My expectation for the next three years is to hover between 6th-12th without ever threatening to push the top 4.
With Arteta at the helm I'd say that last sentence is wildly optimistic - we won't be anywhere near the top six with this manager, owner and group of players. I can only see bottom half finishes and pray that some of the teams who come up like Norwich are still as weak as piss and that a couple of teams get cut adrift to save our skins. When I look at most of the teams around us in midtable like Leeds, Villa, Everton, Wolves, and now Burnley, they're all progressive and more committed to improving their teams than our c.unts at the top. One day Newcastle will sort their shit out and we literally need 2-3 more clubs to start investing like Villa and Everton have, and we will be talking about 40 points as our target

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Oh well, looks like Kroenke is backing Arteta for a another season. In hindsight, I should have guessed that given the current dynamic at the club (i.e. josh, Vinai, Edu and Arteta are all young rookies learning on the job!)

With any luck, the financial impact on the club will force our hand and we’ll have to find ways to get rid of the high earners; all of which are useless anyway.

How do you find a buyer for Willian, Cedric and Auba though? Not easy on those contracts! At least Luiz will be gone (surely?) and Laca only a year left.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

They'll give him a new contract over the summer. Just watch.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:

The next level is the next level after all..... :fryingpan:

Sensei taught Grasshopper well. :mrgreen:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Master Po taught Grasshopper well. :mrgreen:

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Master Po taught Grasshopper well. :mrgreen:

:wink:

Didn't Caine address him as "Sensei" in the show sometimes though? :rubchin: